Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Volume III Epic title revealed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Volume III Epic title revealed  (Read 9904 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

on: January 28, 2010, 01:46:48 PM

Vol III: Allies of the King
Book 1: Oath of the Rangers

EDIT: Now with dev diary.

More skirmishes (mostly 12-mans that are worthless to me), crafting to 65.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:50:19 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:50:52 PM

Vol III: Raids of the King
Book 1: So You Want To Be Popular Enough To Play Our Game

Ohhhhh, I see.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:22:06 PM

look at the leaderboards to see how often there are 12 man Skirmish Raids.  Adding 4 new ones (?) and not changing the system to duo is a fail to me.

reforged Second Age weapons, same zones, 1 new normal skirmish for 1 new Epic Chapter and *4* new 12 main skirmish raids.  Wow disappointing.  How often do people field 12 man anythings in this game. 

very sad   Heartbreak
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:41 PM

Ok reading is hard

these are 4 existing skirmishes that they are just adding 12 raids to.  Wow even less new work.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:27:59 PM

This should have more of Orion's Book I solo revamp, though.

- Henry Cobb
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:07 PM

they didn't include that in the press release so I'm assuming it's not in

not really new content or anything to trumpet about.  I mean, the revamped Bree Lands quests are the same quests just moved from Adso's to Buckland mostly.  So yeah.  PreMades FTW.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:43:21 PM

Man, I want them to find their compass bearings again...
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 04:44:28 PM

Yeah, this seems terribly thin. I'm usually pretty tolerant with Turbine's fluctuating output, but this seems like a new low. A really low low.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 07:58:55 PM

This should have more of Orion's Book I solo revamp, though.

The email I just got says I will be able to solo all of Volume I.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:06:14 AM

I'm not really concerned, its a free update, and it adds some stuff. There is already expanded zones in game we can't reach yet, so assume its being worked on.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 10:33:22 AM

agreed, mostly

with the launch of Bk3 one would have thought there would have had a bit more... fanfare?  heft?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:33:51 AM

Seems all of book one now has the solo option.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:42:58 AM

^ THIS ^

It'll be worth it for that alone, but it does seem a bit light. Since I won't see Mirkwood for likely another month or two, it won't affect me.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:20 PM

I think they are still doing localization and tweaks for the Asia launch.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:18:24 PM

This “"Solo the entire Volume I epic story line – newly revised and re-balanced!" was sadly unnecessary if they just had better LFG tools.

I don't think more solo content helps an MMO, but I very much understand why people have wished for it.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 03:33:55 PM

This “"Solo the entire Volume I epic story line – newly revised and re-balanced!" was sadly unnecessary if they just had better LFG tools.

I don't think that would have helped people like me, who've been burned by too many Greater Internet Dickwads in PUGs to want to try them ever again.

- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:05 PM

I know I have said this a lot, but I really just want to pay them to make a huge world for me and my wife to adventure in.  I can do without the Dickwads.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 05:36:06 PM

I don't think more solo content helps an MMO, but I very much understand why people have wished for it.

You're fucking kidding me.  Which LFG tool is going to quadruple the population of Trollshaws, herd all the cats to actually get a full fellowship together in less than an hour, and then turn everyone in the group into a polite, mature human being?  Is that tool going to be on its own tab?

Nothing has improved my LOTRO playing experience more in the last year than the soloification efforts.  Lone Lands is great now, and I'm looking forward to actually completing Book 4 once so I can actually see Book 5.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 07:02:59 PM

While I heartily agree, sidereal, I think they could put in a jump-in-from-anywhere mechanic like what you see with skirmishes.  Hopefully if they get enough positive feedback on the cheap travel, they might decide to stop using travel as a money sink in favor of ease of play.  If any game needs free travel, it's fucking Lord of the Runs.  Let my fellowship fast-travel to someplace near the leader when doing a quest, what's it going to hurt?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 09:56:06 AM

I know I have said this a lot, but I really just want to pay them to make a huge world for me and my wife to adventure in.  I can do without the Dickwads.

Agreed.  I wish they would make the whole goddamn thing soloable. 
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 10:08:19 AM

Travel is only a money sink until level ~20 or so, after that it's just an annoying timesink. More fast horses would help zones that lack them, like MM and Trollshaws. Elrond should just pony up and buy a stable for Gloin, it's clear the tightfisted dwarf isn't going to put in one himself.

More stables, more fast horses, stop penalizing poor noobs.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 12:29:37 PM

More stables, more fast horses, stop penalizing poor noobs.

This.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 09:12:11 PM

to be clear: I have no patience with shitty PUGs or long runs either.   I'm entirely sympathetic and no magic LFG tool will solve anything.  But I don't think making everything solo is the full answer.  It's one kind of answer.  But TBH I don't get how pushing everyone to the cap faster will help much.  And let's be honest -- it's not that great of an end game at the moment.  There's a lot more fun in some of the lower instances and zones.

regardless, looking over my kin's site, GLFF on Elendilmir and the official forums, looks like most posters aren't impressed with the news.  Objectively, it looks like a weak way to start a whole new Epic Bk.  But Turbine has surprised me well in the past, so here's hoping.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 01:35:41 PM

The fact that the endgame stinks is a reason, in my mind, to make the levels below cap all the more pleasant.  It is clear, though, that many people just want to level as fast as possible because of either conditioning or competition or feeling they are missing out.  Stupid levels.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:27 PM

I bought the lifetime long ago for LOTRO.  I have one toon at level 32 and have not felt rushed to get to "end game" at all.  I log on, do a couple of quests maybe and run around and explore some and that's good enough for me.  The end game grind is the same for all MMOs.  Basically they put you on a perpetual gear treadmill to make up for the lack of reasonably new content.  LOTR seems to be avoiding that somewhat with all the new content, but it is all high level content.  I would love to see some content added to spice up the earlier levels.  WOW suffered from this a great deal, I think.  They basically forgot everything they had done prior to level 80.  In reality, they might as well just shut those portions of the game down.  I mean, who does Stratholme for anything but disenchanting mats anymore?
UnwashedMasses
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 10:47:32 AM

Book 1 soloable is win.

Maybe I'll log back in and get out of that ice zone now.

If the end-game content "goal" gets moved by a new expansion, it's ok (better than ok) to make the no-longer-endgame content solo-friendly.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Volume III Epic title revealed  
Jump to: