Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Jay Leno Show 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jay Leno Show  (Read 26627 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:32 AM

Too much on the line -- more than these two people -- for this to be anything resembling ethical if it's all a ploy to improve ratings.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 15, 2010, 10:54:35 AM

Then it's an epic conspiracy...

Jimmy Kimmel on Leno was awesome. I don't believe Jimmy Kimmel will ever appear on Leno again.

[Asked by Leno what the best prank he ever pulled was] "The best prank I ever pulled was I told a guy that—five years from now—I'm gonna give you my show. And then when the five years came, I gave it to him, and then I took it back almost instantly."

[Asked by Leno if he ever orders anything off of the TV] "Like NBC ordered your show off the TV?"

[Asked by Leno what the record is for number of lap dances he's received in one night] "Strippers, I don't like in general. Because you have this phony relationship with them for money, similar to that of when you and Conan were on The Tonight Show together, passing the torch... you know what I'm saying."

[Asked by Leno what he hasn't yet hosted, but would like to] "Oh, this is a trick, right? Where you get me to host The Tonight Show and then take it back from me?"

[Asked why he came on to do the segment] "Listen, Jay, Conan and I have children—all you have to take care of is cars. I mean, we have lives to lead here. You've got $800 million, for God's sakes—leave our shows alone."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #72 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:15 AM

Hahaha, the Daily Show Jon Olivar spoof is awesome.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:55 AM

Jesus christ, I couldn't even watch that whole kimmel question segment. Don't get me wrong I dislike jay a lot now because of this but sometimes jimmy is just brutal.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 15, 2010, 11:28:12 AM

But he's right.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 15, 2010, 11:37:40 AM

ok, just watched the whole kimmel segment, all of it accurate but oh god, savage.  This needs to be recorded to show people how you brutalize someone through public speaking.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #76 on: January 15, 2010, 11:56:05 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34880947/ns/entertainment-access_hollywood/

more more more!

NBC is solely responsible for this clusterfuck - Conan really needs to nail them on this and shut the door. I guess my only remaining questions is: if Leno was so great, why did his show at 10 self destruct and take with it all the shows around it? Oh that's right... its Conan's fault.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #77 on: January 15, 2010, 03:43:50 PM

ok, just watched the whole kimmel segment, all of it accurate but oh god, savage.  This needs to be recorded to show people how you brutalize someone through public speaking.
This is the segment, for the people who don't feel like digging. It was brutal and delicious.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean the one on HIS show. Sorry. That clip is still brutal. And delicious. You can watch the others on the same youtube channel.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:49:16 PM by bhodi »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #78 on: January 15, 2010, 06:06:18 PM

It's all done now, though, right?  $30M and Conan disappears.  I already forgot who he is.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 06:30:44 PM

In all honesty, I think the last Tonight Show I watched was the Carson's goodbye. I suspect this dispute in public is a lot more entertaining than any of these shows are.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 06:45:01 PM

This clip contains content from Jimmy Kimmel live, who has decided to block it in your country.

Fuck sake.

Hic sunt dracones.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #81 on: January 15, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

This clip contains content from Jimmy Kimmel live, who has decided to block it in your country.

Fuck sake.

It's Conan's fault.

Witty banter not included.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 16, 2010, 12:00:33 PM

Well, balls a-plenty from Kimmell there. He didn't back off one whit as the awkwardness increased.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #83 on: January 17, 2010, 05:19:28 AM

After dating Silverman for years, I don't think anything really fazes him anymore.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 17, 2010, 09:36:15 AM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 17, 2010, 04:34:35 PM

I've always enjoyed Ferguson as a funny guy but his classy criticism of Limbaugh increased my esteem for him.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 17, 2010, 05:20:29 PM

I can't believe this was totally not planned at all!!!  awesome, for real

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 17, 2010, 05:24:54 PM

So it's looking like Conan gets 40 mil and can go work for anyone right away.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 17, 2010, 08:33:49 PM

I've always enjoyed Ferguson as a funny guy but his classy criticism of Limbaugh increased my esteem for him.

He's easily the best of the late night guys, IMO.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 18, 2010, 01:41:48 AM

So it's looking like Conan gets 40 mil and can go work for anyone right away.

He gets the full payout only if he is out of a job for 2.5 years (the time left on his contract). If he gets a new show on another network, they can stop paying him.

A pretty insightful analysis of the situation from Mark Evanier:
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2010_01_17.html#018381
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #90 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:48 AM

I'd read that if he gets another job, NBC continues to pay him minus whatever the new paycheck is until the contract expires.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:26 AM

The most accurate and understandable explanation of the whole Conan/Leno late night mess you can ever find on the interwebs!

I believe the turning point of the whole mess was when Hulkconan fought back against the Superchin-Leno and Letterman used the folding chair on Captain NBC....

PS: Is that supposed to be Kimmel launching meatballs at the end?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:25:41 AM by Ubvman »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:24 PM

The most accurate and understandable explanation of the whole Conan/Leno late night mess you can ever find on the interwebs!

I believe the turning point of the whole mess was when Hulkconan fought back against the Superchin-Leno and Letterman used the folding chair on Captain NBC....

Conan actually had this clip on his show this week. I've been watching this week because he's actually really funny at the moment. I think it's the atittude of "fuck it" he's giving off. He just seems to be going wild and not much caring about things like being called down to the boss's office if he crosses a line.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 03:26:39 PM

Conan actually had this clip on his show this week. I've been watching this week because he's actually really funny at the moment. I think it's the atittude of "fuck it" he's giving off. He just seems to be going wild and not much caring about things like being called down to the boss's office if he crosses a line.
Ya Think?!?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #94 on: January 22, 2010, 03:33:46 PM

If he'd been like this for the last 7 months there wouldn't have even been a question of him staying and Leno going.  I now believe Conan was hosting the Tonight Show with too much reverence.  He was scared of tarnishing the image and so wasn't pushing the boundaries like he should have been from the start.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: January 22, 2010, 03:43:01 PM

Ya Think?!?

Lol. I liked the followup from last night with the winning Kentucky Derby horse wearing a sweater and watching "illegal" NFL play movies. They said that one cost $4.8 million.

If he'd been like this for the last 7 months there wouldn't have even been a question of him staying and Leno going.  I now believe Conan was hosting the Tonight Show with too much reverence.  He was scared of tarnishing the image and so wasn't pushing the boundaries like he should have been from the start.

I wonder how much of this was him and how much was NBC going "your antics were fine late at night, but this is the Tonight Show so you have to tone it down!"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:04 PM

Well, I watched the final episode. It was pretty good though I wasn't expecting Conan to get serious and actually choke up during his little speech towards the end.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #97 on: January 22, 2010, 10:02:56 PM

Final episode didn't disappoint. He can work in 7 months and seems to be interested in keeping his current staff.  I wonder where he lands.  It seems like either Fox or cable.

edit:
Highlights:
-Neil Young (who got super old when I wasn't looking)
-Beck standing off to the side playing like he was just part of the backup band during Will Ferrell's rendition of Free Bird
-Conan's final speech
-Jimmy Fallon singing "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday" with the Roots' backup actually making him sound good
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:13:15 AM by Jayce »

Witty banter not included.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 23, 2010, 03:18:39 PM

Just the fact that the last ten minutes were dedicated to freebird, which fit the mood incredibly well...was awesome.

The entire last episode however was just solid, sure he choked up a little but didn't lose it. The comedy was spot on too....honestly if jay leno sucks for the next 7 months and they brought conan back, that would be awesome.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 23, 2010, 04:53:55 PM

I wonder how much of this was him and how much was NBC going "your antics were fine late at night, but this is the Tonight Show so you have to tone it down!"

I suspect the latter. As it was my dad stopped watching the Tonight Show, "cuz he just does weird stuff."
schild
Administrator

Reply #100 on: January 24, 2010, 03:11:38 AM

Finally getting around to watching the last 2 episodes of Conan, amazing.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #101 on: January 24, 2010, 03:55:07 AM

aye great stuff indeed.  Freebird was a little long, though.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:05 AM

Fuck you, Leno. Nothing you've ever done could possibly trump this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XClnFAhxg&feature=fvsr
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:40:47 AM by Azaroth »

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:24 AM

Oh, wait. This is the right one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FU2l-XU5cg

Edit: Still probably true, though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:41:24 AM by Azaroth »

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 25, 2010, 12:57:58 PM

Okay. You know what? This has REALLY gone too far.

By JOE QUEENAN

Cultural historians are desperately seeking a precedent to the Jay Leno-Conan O'Brien fiasco. They are looking in the wrong places. True, Pat Sajak, Chevy Chase and Joan Rivers all got axed from late-night talk shows after shockingly brief stints at the helm, but none of them got $32.5 million to take a hike. And none of them got replaced by the person they had replaced. And none of them pouted about getting canned for general incompetence while millions of their countrymen—who had not actually failed at their jobs—were unable to find work.

No, the most appropriate parallel to the debacle that has humiliated NBC took place in central Europe in the late 1930s. It happened at Munich.

Jay Leno, much like Adolf Hitler...

I stopped reading RIGHT THERE. I have absolutely no idea what the fuck the rest of the article says.

But here's the link if you really must see it.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Jay Leno Show  
Jump to: