Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Giving UO a trial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Giving UO a trial  (Read 11137 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: November 18, 2009, 12:10:49 AM

So, I've got a UO trial account with the enhanced client. Playing on Oceanic and may actually have the server to myself. Samurai character. This way I can at least say I played UO once.

Three days in and I'm already wondering if I'm going to last the full 14 days. Thus far it has been "whack on this until you get to skill lvl 50, then press this button until you get up to skill lvl 50". I can see the charm that once was, but it's all so dull.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:25:12 AM

You can' really say you've played UO until you've chopped trees/mined/fished for 7 hours straight.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:57:38 AM

You can' really say you've played UO until you've chopped trees/mined/fished for 7 hours straight.
Pretty sure I did that in Fable 2.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:28:49 PM

I've been so bored with games lately -- should I try this?  Never played UO before.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:53:14 PM

I've been so bored with games lately -- should I try this?  Never played UO before.

UO always feels really dated every time I try it again.  Less so than other offerings, it's held up better than the dikus of old.

I'm not sure UO holds any of the charm it once did (and no, I'm not some asshole pining for pre-Trammel).  If so, I imagine it's somewhat hard to find under the layers of elves, robots, ninjas, mudflation, and gargoyles.  swamp poop

I'd probably give it a pass unless you can try it for free. 

-Rasix
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:10:22 PM

No.  Neocron is back in development again, and you can get a free account somehow.  That would be a better option if you want something "different."

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 05:41:19 PM

As a first time player, I can see echoes of UO's charm. However... it lacks a lot of "here's how you play the game" in the early stages - the tutorial is okay, but I had to go off-game to find how to deal with vendors - and the lack of shortcuts to gameplay - lack of contextual right-click functionality, for instance - means there are a lot of barriers to new players. Plus the skill grind.

It has held up better (or been updated better) than AC though.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:30:18 PM

Yeah, context menus are single left click since the right mouse button makes you run. Only thing I can really say is that one is better off on one of the more populated shards. Atlantic, Great Lakes, Europa, maybe some of the others. I don't really know. I keep meaning to go back sometime.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:42:28 PM

I submit that you can't say you have really played UO until you have mined for seven hours and been killed and robbed of your ore and dignity for at least three of those.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:39 AM

Oh and don't forget the sodomy of your corpse!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:52:12 AM

ooOOoOOoooOOoOOo

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Giving UO a trial  
Jump to: