Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815201 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #455 on: July 19, 2010, 07:10:00 AM

Just saw Trucks and Tedeschi down in Peekskill over the weekend. What an amazing band they've put together, both Burbridge brothers (Kofi from Derek's band and Oteil from the Allmans), Mike Mattison from Derek's band doing backing and some lead vocals, didn't recognize the drummers or the second 'backing' singer. So much talent on stage though, it's just amazing to watch. Even though some bitch grabbed the set list out of my hand. I hate the NYC area, what a pit of douchebags and assholes (and this is a half-hour north...or ten minutes for NYC drivers).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: July 20, 2010, 09:45:57 AM

Steel Attack - Diabolic Symphony

Necrophagist- Stabwound

EDIT: Necrophagist - Stabwound - Keyboard Playing it on a piano makes the classical influence way more evident.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:48:42 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #457 on: July 24, 2010, 07:10:28 PM

If you like Neil Young, beautiful women, Women with amazing voices, Trumpets, Satch, boll weevils,  sweet tone, etc.   you should check out this jaw dropping cover of Neil Young's Cortez the Killer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paeNnR33i5Q&feature=fvw

avec:

Grace Potter
Joe Satriani
Steve Kimock
Reed Mathis
Willy Waldman
Stephen Perkins

Note: now I know why Joe alwayws wears shades when playing live.

I think Wiki is lying to me about the drummer:  Stephen Perkin's is the former drummer/percussionist for the band, Cannibal Corpse. He also played one-off shows with Tito, Seth Sentry and Mumford & Suns. He currently resigns in a City in East Mexico. He plays as a temporary percussionist for a local Mariachi band.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: July 24, 2010, 08:58:27 PM

Or the drummer of Jane's Addiction. That was awful, her voice is flat and Joe overplays the shit out of everything. (ok, on a second listen her voice picks up as the tune goes on, the early part is tough to sing...still not a Satch fan).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiLCo-LoUg

Also, when it comes to lady singers, I'm biased, I have a serious thing for Susan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3BFGyztNM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZ7IV3lJYg

Although Corrine is pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zf1eu7_s4w
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:32:13 PM by Sky »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #459 on: July 25, 2010, 10:44:48 AM

Fleet Foxes. 

They're fairly mellow, but pretty good, ala Band of Horses.  Also listening to a little Phoenix.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: July 29, 2010, 06:22:55 PM

I have recently discovered Clutch.  Their music is all over the place, depending on the album, though I like the bluesy-rock with other touches.  The frontman also has a Badass Beard.

Clutch, Burning Beard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eepsCXpLY4
Clutch, 10001110101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdYKTek5N1Q&feature=related
Clutch, Electric Worry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab6lr2b66Ig&feature=related
 (This song has been in a couple of commercials)
Clutch, The Mob Goes Wild:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z78PjvfCVTQ&feature=related
Clutch, 50,000 Unstoppable Watts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDoKyzHzP14&feature=related

Edit:

It is obvious, though, that Clutch will be first against the wall as collaborators for the upcoming Machine Revolution.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:25:13 PM by Johny Cee »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: July 30, 2010, 06:57:20 AM

Welcome to the fold! Clutch is one of my all time favs. If i may :)

Clutch-A Shogun Named Marcus

CLUTCH "SPACEGRASS"

CLUTCH The Regulator

Clutch - Green Buckets

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:19 AM

Welcome to the fold! Clutch is one of my all time favs. If i may :)

Clutch-A Shogun Named Marcus

CLUTCH "SPACEGRASS"

CLUTCH The Regulator

Clutch - Green Buckets

I didn't really like the harder stuff.  The bluesy-rock or Texas rock influenced stuff is great, though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:25 AM

I saw Clutch on their first couple tours. Their fans are pretty loyal, we had a librarian here by way of Long Island who adored them.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #464 on: July 30, 2010, 04:55:19 PM

I have recently discovered Clutch.  Their music is all over the place, depending on the album, though I like the bluesy-rock with other touches.  The frontman also has a Badass Beard.

it is obvious, though, that Clutch will be first against the wall as collaborators for the upcoming Machine Revolution.

These two are mandatory:

Blast Tyrant (2004)
Clutch (1995)

lots of other great stuff, but these two are special

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: July 31, 2010, 02:35:14 PM

Clutch and elephant riders are my special ones.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: August 01, 2010, 06:04:23 AM

And on a completely different note...

A slice of heart-in-throat electro-pop passion from a swedish pixie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlwcQn5eBI

So many TV performances are just dead-eyed, by numbers affairs. Robyn's sheer fierceness in the face of the song's overwhelming vulnerability blows me away. Fucking astounding song, fucking astounding performance.

You may all get back to the metal now.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: August 01, 2010, 12:22:18 PM

One of my closet bands I listen to is V.A.S.T.

I am only partly ashamed.   awesome, for real

V.A.S.T. Touched Official Video

VAST I Don't Have Anything

VAST - Pretty When You Cry

VAST Somewhere Else To Be

It gives me my 80'like fix. Cant say I followed them much after the first album though.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:24:07 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #468 on: August 02, 2010, 10:22:52 PM

One of my closet bands I listen to is V.A.S.T.

I am only partly ashamed.   awesome, for real

V.A.S.T. Touched Official Video

VAST I Don't Have Anything

VAST - Pretty When You Cry

VAST Somewhere Else To Be

It gives me my 80'like fix. Cant say I followed them much after the first album though.

don't be that guy is/was amazing at times

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #469 on: August 02, 2010, 10:30:13 PM

Or the drummer of Jane's Addiction. That was awful, her voice is flat and Joe overplays the shit out of everything. (ok, on a second listen her voice picks up as the tune goes on, the early part is tough to sing...still not a Satch fan).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiLCo-LoUg

Also, when it comes to lady singers, I'm biased, I have a serious thing for Susan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3BFGyztNM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZ7IV3lJYg

Although Corrine is pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zf1eu7_s4w

As they say there is no accounting for taste.  Corrine's vocal style just leaves me flacid.  Sure she might technically be a great singer, but her delivery does nothing for me.  When something like this comes on the radio/tv/friends house I simply cringe the entire time.  To me this is the vocal equivalent of vai wanking (well not that bad).

Ok I dig Susan, but Grace is more Hawt and thats what really matters with female musicians isn't it?? but seriously...

Yeah Satch goes ape towards the end... but the trumpet player!!! I will admit I don't know too much about the Trumpet the only trumpet heavy music I own is Miles D... but that guy blew me away.

As to whether or not she is flat, at this point I am quite confident your ear is far better than mine, but I dig her voice.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: August 03, 2010, 08:31:14 AM

I don't think you can help but be flat singing the early parts of that shit song. I like Neil Young, but what a hippy pile of shit that song is, lyrically. Because there was peace throughout central america before spain landed  Ohhhhh, I see.

Agreed on the trumpet, the guy kinda stole the song.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #471 on: August 03, 2010, 04:36:06 PM

a lot of neil is the hippy dippy stuff (old man take a look at my life)

Have you heard his double live album Weld? came out in the early 90s

That is what changed things for me, basically it is him playing lots of his classics with a big ass fender stack with everything turned to 11, gnarly tone and feedback drenched songs.  The version i have includes Arc which is ~30 minutes of feedback/solos.   This album borders on the Sabbathesque at times.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: August 14, 2010, 03:43:40 PM

I listened to a lot of Meshuggah about five years back, so imagine my surprise when my Spotify travels took me to ObZen, their latest album that I had completely missed. Holy shit they're in top form. It sounds so alien and yet so familiar.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #473 on: August 16, 2010, 07:09:28 AM

Getting tickets to see Unheilig, VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk on the same bill at the Rothaus Arena in Freiburg. Show is in December and I cannot wait.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #474 on: August 28, 2010, 04:43:01 PM

Saw volbeat play in Boise, Idaho (was in town for a week for work)

A mix of Elvis, meets Johnny Cash, meets Social Distortion, meets metal.

They are good live, they frontman has charisma, the audience was into them bigtime.. but it really did nothing for me. Left after about 45 minutes.  The whole time I was there I kept thinking "I wish Social Distortion was actually playing"

They did however play this kickass cover of a Bay City Rollers song:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts19Nn-xyGs

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: August 30, 2010, 06:49:31 AM

Thursday.

Rush.

Happy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:47 AM

Don't Be A Playa, Haiti Just wrong for a number of reasons.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08:09 PM

I like this sort of stoner metal.  A bit faster than usual, but not afraid of introspection, chill and energetic at the same time.  It's good.  Droids Attack : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyb6zUktWI

Almost as good as nunslaughter!  These guys have way too much fun.  And write some damn good riffs along the way.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWGuYpRDj88  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5aYqtPfqVE

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #478 on: August 30, 2010, 07:20:26 PM

Today Arcade Fire released this HTML 5 'video' that is pretty freaking cool.  It's pretty damn interactive and only works in Chrome/Safari. 

http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: August 30, 2010, 08:02:40 PM

Tomorrow.

Slayer, Medadeth, Testament.  Now I just need to make sure my sinus infection is gone by tomorrow night.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: August 31, 2010, 05:49:54 AM

Tomorrow.

Slayer, Medadeth, Testament.  Now I just need to make sure my sinus infection is gone by tomorrow night.

I was about to go to that when it rolled through, but those tickets are expensive.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #481 on: August 31, 2010, 06:15:40 AM

Tomorrow.

I saw that show about twenty years ago at Wembley. Suicidal Tendencies and Pantera were also on the bill as I recall.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:17 AM

That should be a fun show. I dislike Testament alot, though. I once sat outside a bar with Green Jello smoking pot watching Testament through the plate glass window. Skolnick knew we were out there and kept playing to the window, it was funny. Megadeth always puts on a technical masterpiece, Dave is some kind of modern Ozzy with finding good guitarists. And Slayer, they just deliver the old school goods, first saw them in our local metal bar of awesomeness with a brutal concrete pit.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:47 AM

Tomorrow.

I am going to this in 1.5 months.  A chance for a young metalhead like myself get a taste of metal history, even if at this point its probably old and wrinkled.  Let me know how the show is!  I certainly hope Slayer in particular plays their old stuff.  I'll be rocking the hell awaits shirt, but I doubt they will reach that far back.  It's a shame though, it's really their best album, just needed a rerecord.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:29 AM

I'll be rocking the hell awaits shirt, but I doubt they will reach that far back.
They rocked Aggressive Perfector, which I thought was about as "old" of Slayer as you can get.  They are playing the entire Seasons In The Abyss album right now.  Not too much time for other stuff, but it was still a damn good show.  Last time I saw them in 2007 they played Show No Mercy, Die By The Sword, and Captor of Sin, so they mix in old stuff quite often.

Grimwell and I had a great time despite the sheer amount of cigarette and mary jane smoke going on around us.

Setlist for those who are interested:

2010/08/31

Testament:
Eerie Inhabitants
New Order
Practice What You Preach
The Persecuted Won't Forget
Into The Pit
DNR
3 Days In Darkness
Formation of Damnation

Megadeth:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Hangar 18
Take No Prisoners
Five Magics
Poison Was The Cure
Lucretia
Tornado of Souls
Dawn Patrol
Polaris
Trust
Headcrusher
A Tout Le Monde
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
My Last Words (Lars' request to Dave "in spirit of getting the big 4 together in the US")
Peace Sells (conclusion)
Punishment Due solo & outro

Slayer:
World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Blood Red
Spirit In Black
Expendable Youth
Dead Skin Mask
Hallowed Point
Skeletons Of Society
Temptation
Born Of Fire
Seasons In The Abyss
South Of Heaven
Raining Blood
Aggressive Perfector
Angel Of Death

I was a little disappointed in Testament's set choice, no Hail Mary or F.E.A.R. (which is arguably the best song from their new album, the 2 they did play were not the best selection of material) and it was a short set.  They were in fine form though, I could see why Sky doesn't care for Skolnick as he does kind of showboat but they still did a good job despite being an opener to a stadium that wasn't even remotely filled.  Megadeth were pretty damn amazing, not missing a single beat or note the entire night and playing an interesting set in addition to the entire Rust In Peace album (they barely stopped between songs).  Slayer was the band everyone came for, the place was filled to capacity (Grimwell and I debated why Megadeth was #2 on the bill and Slayer #1, it was obvious when Slayer took the stage that everyone came for them).  An interesting note was that Jeff's guitar was turned up higher in the mix than Kerry's, which has always been the opposite of when I've seen them.  So I could hear his playing better and since he solos more interestingly, it was nice to finally hear it live.  Sure, the tickets were not the cheapest ($45) but I've paid $25-30 just to see Slayer and some shitty local bands, so $45 for 2 top tier metal bands that deliver is a deal for me.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:03 AM

They are up words of 70$ here.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: September 01, 2010, 05:11:41 PM

They are up words of 70$ here.
Well, that is pricey I do agree.  They were $35 at the show or $45 online and since I didn't want it to be sold out, got mine online.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: September 02, 2010, 07:52:41 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: September 02, 2010, 10:18:33 PM

Just got back from Rush, what an amazing show. A few newer songs that were meh, a middle-older songs I'd forgotten (90s), and a whole slew of awesome. Fiancee was hoping for more 70s stuff, she called it a 'fan setlist'. Well...ok! I mostly wanted to see YYZ, La Via Strangiato, and Temple of Syrinx, all were performed. They put on such a fun and technically amazing show.

Also found out the Allmans band is going to be at the Palace Theater in November, considering camping out tickets for that one. Seeing Louis CK at the same venue next month  Heart
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #489 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:05 PM

Ghostland Observatory is coming out with a new album soon.  Can't wait for that one. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: