Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815695 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 19, 2009, 07:19:01 AM

But it sounds like Reign in blood slayer with out the awesome tracks. IMO.
Eh, I like it better than anything they did since Seasons (except the last one).  Slayer fans are strange I guess...
I listened to it, but it didn't catch me either. Then again, I've never been much of a Slayer fan. It's exceptionally (maybe even exceptional) Slayer, but essentially I think it's an album for the already converted.

Personally I'm currently listening to Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus, which is turning out to be a pretty great album. It's still not Diabolis Interium, but hey, that's kinda an unrealistic expectation. wink

The single, My Funeral is simply quite breathtaking.

That was indeed awesome. Reminded me of something, cant put my finger on it.

Compulsory song recommendation. (No, not the same genre)

Have another.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:33:21 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: November 19, 2009, 01:50:05 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that. Not the greatest stuff, but not bad (I'm not the biggest post-Kyuss Homme fan). It's so wicked to see JPJ having fun and being relevant! With Page off in who knows where, Plant doing adult contemporary (and Ann Wilson doing his Zep stuff better than he can), Jonesy is out there kicking ass. He always was the odd man out in Zep, so I guess it makes sense. And Dave back on drums, he's got to enjoy that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ISnz7LQDk&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipCDJAlh_U

One more for awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq3xBq92Jqo

Going to see TCV Saturday night in Seattle. So stoked.

Xbox live: trotski44
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #177 on: November 20, 2009, 06:15:49 AM

Gah, Baroness is going to be in Buffalo sunday. Too long a drive, and I'll be in the front row of a Skynyrd show, anyway :) But I remember when metal bands played every shitty bar across the state, dernit.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #178 on: November 21, 2009, 11:30:49 PM

That was indeed awesome. Reminded me of something, cant put my finger on it.

Compulsory song recommendation. (No, not the same genre)

my attempt to bridge Pagan's Mind and Dark Funeral with one song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCJ0GWIrbw

Sky: if there is one Clutch album worth checking out it is probably either their s/t or Blast Tyrant

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:55 AM

Speaking of hearing loss in useless conversation, I foolishly forgot my ear plugs when we saw Skynyrd over the weekend. Usually front row center isn't too bad at this venue, because the house speakers are way off to the sides shooting the big dbs past us. Actually the biggest problem with most front rows is hearing the house speakers at all, so keys and vocals are tough to make out, you mostly hear stage volume (which is great for guitar bands!). But Skynyrd both angled their house speakers and added some house in front of the monitor row, holy fuck did they crank it to ear-melting levels.

I've had ear damage for a long time, but this show fucked up my left ear but good. About double the level of tinnitus, three days later. So while you guys may not have put your ears through what I have in the past, make sure you wear hearing protection whenever you're around loudness. And don't sit in front of a full stack while you play guitar.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #180 on: November 25, 2009, 07:31:05 AM

How was the Skynard show?  I used to listen to them a lot.  Not a huge fan of the new stuff, however.  Does the new "lineup" do the old stuff justice live?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:35 AM

The band is great. The singer isn't quite as good as his brother, but he does it justice. The new keyboard guy is phenomenal, which is good because Billy was my favorite from the original band. Gary is original, and the blond dude and Rickey are both great guitarists. I've got the set list at home, but it was all classics, no new stuff. Wicked fun show.

Got one of Gary's picks, my concert nemesis dude got all three guitarist's picks. He also got a Gregg Allman pick from the solo show a couple weeks ago. Bastard. I met him when I went for the Skynyrd tickets, he was already in line a couple hours before they went on sale.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #182 on: November 25, 2009, 09:48:08 AM

Man I used to see the Allman Brothers a lot.  I've drifted a bit away from that type of music, but they were a hell of a show.  I may try a Skynard show next time they are around.  Four Walls of Raiford is still one of my favorite songs ever.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 25, 2009, 09:57:20 AM

The current Allman lineup is at least as good as the original. What you lose in the country Betts tinge is more than made up for with Oteil/Derek jazz improv and Haynes killer chops and soulful voice. I love their last album (though it was like 2004 or something), some great tunes on there, and we always buy the live cd they press after the show.

Skynyrd is a fun show, but they pretty much play stuff as it was recorded. Given the choice between the two bands, I'd pick the Allmans every time. They're not frozen in time and their new stuff is as good as the old stuff. Desdemona (off that last studio album, Hittin' the Note) is probably my favorite ABB tune.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: November 30, 2009, 05:39:39 PM

I can't stop listening to Wild Beasts. I think it might be my favourite of the year. Just got tickets to see them in early Feb, and seeing them in Jan too. Excited.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #185 on: November 30, 2009, 05:49:46 PM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: November 30, 2009, 05:56:09 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #187 on: December 01, 2009, 03:41:43 PM

Listening to Mike Ness- Cheating at Solitaire on the way home.  It's a goddam good album.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #188 on: December 01, 2009, 10:00:34 PM

for the shoegazer types

new Jesu streaming in its entirety here:

http://www.myspace.com/caldoverderecords

much stronger than the past few releases

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #189 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:42 PM

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: December 09, 2009, 06:15:04 PM

This is a little bit addictive, and I'm not sure if it is the video or the music, or both together. 

I think that's what I really like about Wild Beasts. At first, you're a little taken back at the strangeness of their delivery, the sparseness of the sound but the intense clarity of it, and the bafflingly odd feminised falsetto of Hayden Thorpe that seems both fitting and slightly displaced, not to mention the jolie-laide eroticism of the lyrics in that confusing purr. It pulls you in, somehow. My first listen provoked me to put it on again just so I could confirm what I'd just heard - it's not that I didn't like it or even that I loved it, it's that something was going on that I needed to hear again. And so I was entranced.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
schild
Administrator

Reply #191 on: December 09, 2009, 08:17:10 PM

So, apparently (ok, wrong, October 27th, not sure how I missed it), the Misfits released 2 new tracks written by Jerry Only. They're fucking fantastic. Twilight of the Dead especially. Here, Linky to the vinyl getting released (cover is by the Marvel Zombies guy.

I really hope Jerry can put together a full album.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:19:20 PM by schild »
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 10, 2009, 05:42:32 AM

I've talked about how fantastic Phoenix' Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is earlier in this thread, but my attention has just been drawn to this fan-made video for Listzomania, built out of 80s Brat-pack edits - it's such a thing of joy it has utterly slayed me. God knows I'm easily emotionally manipulated by sound and vision but this works on a level deep inside me.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: December 10, 2009, 08:16:08 AM

Jose Gonzalez - Teardrop

Song of the week for me
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:32:07 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #194 on: December 10, 2009, 09:23:40 PM

That was horrible. Actually it could have been very good and it still would have been horrible because it doesn't feature Liz Fraser. I went to the YouTubes thinking "I hope that's not Massive Attack's Teardrop". Imagine my disappointment. So cruel.

So I got a few CDs today, all 2009 releases, several of which are right up there for albums of the year. I have plenty of room, having decided that Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Animal Collective all did put out decent albums but are all over-hyped and pale in comparison to the AWESOME music of the year. That's right, I'm thinking about lists, and I'll be making some soon. In the meantime, here's today's recommended listening:

Makajodama - Makajodama

Four piece Swedish instrumental group comprising guitar, violin, cello, and drums. They also throw in some organ, bass and percussion between them. They have quite a mix of influences from jazzy Kraut & post-rock rhythms through psych & Canterbury leads and it comes together to make something contemporary and unique.

Octafish - Doktor Fleisch

By their own description "industrial fake jazz". That's right, it's jazz rock, but it's unlike any jazz rock you've likely heard. There's synth arpeggios and sequences, programmed rhythm mixed with inventive real drums, bass and Chapman Stick playing. You don't need the tip-off title "Thxfz" to know that Frank Zappa's influence is in play. Jazz rock for the electro generation.

Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs

This is what les French call coldwave, and we'd call something between post-punk and post-metal. It's got that shoegaze shimmer, the death metal guitar sound and bass drum breaks, the post-punk bass groove and some great atmospheric vocals (mostly clean but limited cookie monster in places). Having made this great début, the band broke up due to artistic differences.

Eloy - Visionary

Progressive rock in the Pink Floyd vein by one of the German greats. Wow, that was so easy after trying to describe the last three albums. If you know and love Eloy already you'll want this album, if you don't know them already, this isn't where you start (buy 1979's Silent Cries & Mighty Echoes or 1976's Dawn instead). Solid album, good playing by all, but Hannes Folberth's keyboard leads are stunning.

Oh... and one bit of vinyl...

Elizabeth Fraser - Moses (12" single)

Yes, her of Teardrop fame. Her first solo release.

(added MySpace links in case anybody's interested)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:33:26 PM by Righ »

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:15 PM

That was horrible. Actually it could have been very good and it still would have been horrible because it doesn't feature Liz Fraser. I went to the YouTubes thinking "I hope that's not Massive Attack's Teardrop". Imagine my disappointment. So cruel.

I'm a huge fan of the original (and a huge fan of Fraser/Cocteau Twins), but I think it's a lovely cover, as sensitive and respectful as they come without being a facsimile. And no, you really can't expect anyone else to sing like Fraser, because no one else can. Give it another chance. Better yet, try out his take on Kylie Minogue's Hand on Your Heart. His delivery completely transforms a throwaway popsong into something utterly beautiful.

Elbow also do a great version of Teardrop (this one's a live radio session recording), and they're very friendly with Massive Attack - Guy Garvey is doing vocals for them on their upcoming album, for example.

Now if you want a cruel disappointment, I suggest you youtube that assclown Mika murdering his way through Teardrop. Cause I don't have the heart to link it myself.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:42:46 PM by Mattemeo »

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #196 on: December 11, 2009, 12:39:09 AM

teenagersintokyo

Not from Tokyo btw. Another Aussie band with a post punk/new wave thing going on. So many good ones coming from there.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #197 on: December 14, 2009, 11:47:30 PM

Children

[edit] Damn, that's like both one of the best and worst videos of all time.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:53:58 PM by stray »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 15, 2009, 02:36:15 AM

Now if you want a cruel disappointment, I suggest you youtube that assclown Mika murdering his way through Teardrop. Cause I don't have the heart to link it myself.

That was nasty, really nasty.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 15, 2009, 07:18:52 AM

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:27:11 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #200 on: December 17, 2009, 07:50:03 PM

This is pretty much the shit.....
very old school
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 23, 2009, 11:51:44 AM

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: December 31, 2009, 06:31:21 AM

Moderat - Moderat came out much earlier this year and I kind of glossed over it a little with the surfeit of Chillwave in the last half of 2009, but now it's fully into Winter mode here in the UK, Moderat have crept in like a cat that's been missing for 2 months looking fatter and smugger than ever before. It was released at totally the wrong time of the year. This is music for crisp, frigid air, crunching snow underfoot, delicate, mesmerising dubstep/electronica.

Rusty Nails is very much one of the tracks of the year for me - Brittle, affecting, hypnotic - and comes with one of the most visually arresting videos I've seen in a long long time.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #203 on: December 31, 2009, 07:04:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8W4tslqVSg

Trent Reznor and Peter Murphy performing Bela Lugosi's Dead.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #204 on: December 31, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Damn why is that venue so small?? Those people got a treat.

[edit] And when did Murphy morph into my dad... Or Nick Cave. Either/or.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:11:44 AM by stray »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #205 on: December 31, 2009, 08:45:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8W4tslqVSg

Trent Reznor and Peter Murphy performing Bela Lugosi's Dead.

The intensity of this song is based on understatement and subtlety.  Reznor's two-handed gripping of the microphone and his constipated Sprinsteen croon doesn't work for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:00:03 PM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #206 on: December 31, 2009, 09:07:38 AM

Peter Murphy never was understated.. If anything, the original was him at his funniest.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #207 on: December 31, 2009, 09:18:24 AM

Peter Murphy and Nick Cave are both your dad.  They're the same age!

(except Nick Cave sucks)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #208 on: December 31, 2009, 09:22:15 AM

He only sucks when he's not rocking out! Birthday Party was his great period, but he's gotten cooler now that he's a cranky old guy.

Grinderman
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 31, 2009, 09:23:55 AM

Spent the early week doing some house cleaning/rearranging with live Ozzy on.  I found that I really don't care for Ozzy's voice all that much, but I love me some Randy Rhoads.   I also listened to "Let it be (Naked)" about five times in a row.  The redbook was remastered quite well and it seemed to stage pretty well on my system.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:27:02 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: