Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815290 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #105 on: October 27, 2009, 01:43:57 PM

Ever listen to Cynic or Atheist? 
Note: some music it takes me a while to get into. I usually hate Tool albums when I first get them, until I can digest them. That said, Cynic has potential, but I don't care for the drums. Too much straight double bass drumming, and his fills are muddy. He's better in the slower sections, though. Singer isn't doing anything for me. They're almost there, but missing a certain groove factor.

I liked the Atheist track better. The bass is ridiculous in the mix, though. Sounds like an evil spring or something. Good bass line, just an awful mix. And the singer, another singer ruining a decent band for me. I like very few metal singers.
I stop at volume 4 though. Except for Johnny Blade. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And then Randy trumps all of it imho.
I see your Johnny Blade and raise you a Symptom of the Universe, one of my favorite Sabbath tunes. Randy obviously deserves his spot in the pantheon, but that doesn't diminish how great Tony was. Different styles, Randy was classical where Tony was bluesy.

We just saw a cool new (to us) band on MavTV over the weekend: The Legendary Shack Shakers. Those motherfuckers kick some serious ass and I'd really like to catch them live. The frontman is certifiable.

Heh just to add, Cynic's been around for like 300 yrs. If they haven't reached potential to you yet, they might never do it  cool

Randy could play Iommi's stuff better than Iommi imho.

Although I'm not sure I'd say the same Zack playing Randy's stuff. Don't want to get into a big guitar debate here though.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 27, 2009, 03:13:18 PM

There seems to be a lot of shoegaze-y bands coming out of NYC, and they are all pretty good. They're older stuff is better though.. I've heard newer things from some of these bands, and it's gotten "cleaner" and poppier. Before it was more deafening Kevin Shields like stuff. Asobi Seksu or A Place to Bury Strangers are good examples. Heard them Matt?

Yeah, I'm rather partial to Asobi Seksu's first album (and a few lovely remixes of said)! Don't know a great deal of A Place to Bury Strangers but I do like what I've heard. As I said, it's been a great time for shoegaze and its ilk, from Engineer's debut a few years ago to M83 - both early 'making music for lonely planets to make love to' stargaze and last year's John Hughes secret soundtrack 'Saturdays = Youth'

Also turning me on this year have been The Big Pink, who do a sort of mad, essential blend of shoegaze, noisepop and Stone Roses-era baggy. They're currently filling indieclub dance floors with the frankly immense Dominos (Youtube simply can't do the sound of this track justice)

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #107 on: October 27, 2009, 07:51:11 PM

speaking of shoegaze

Jesu- tired of me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VvH9_2KCEE

Jesu- the star that hangs above you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA4WtX7drzQ&feature=related

Jesu - Silver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBs-cZs9m8U&feature=related

and to think Justin was one of the founding members of Napalm Death

give it a spin

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #108 on: October 28, 2009, 05:09:43 AM

Napalm Death is awesome.  Well, was maybe.  I've lost touch.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 28, 2009, 06:39:30 AM

Well, was maybe.  I've lost touch.
Yes they sure were.  No idea what they have done any time recently though...  The last album review of theirs I don't recall favorably, but I can't remember when that was...
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #110 on: October 28, 2009, 07:05:31 PM

although they have zero original members left  awesome, for real there 2009 album Time Waits For No Slave is a great slab of grindcore.  I am not a huge grindcore guy, but there recent albums have been great if you are into politically themed grindcore.  If memory serves, their 2nd guitarist basically went MIA then died do to alcohol I believe.  They have continued with just one guitarist with a much leaner and meaner sound.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:50 PM

I'm listening to a band called Steel Panther at the moment; they're not very PC. Fun music though  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #112 on: November 02, 2009, 02:59:07 PM

Due to production delays, I'm still waiting for the 5x CD + DVD-A 40th anniversary box set of In The Court Of The Crimson King to arrive.

However, the new Senser album How To Do Battle arrived at last! Hurrah.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #113 on: November 03, 2009, 06:36:47 AM

We got a live CD at the Derek Trucks show, like to buy from the artist when possible. Great extended version of My Favorite Things.

Waiting for the second two Muddy Waters Blue Sky recordings, $7/ea so I snuck them into my Dragon Age order. The first Blue Sky (w/Johnny Winter), Hard Again, is an amazing album.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #114 on: November 03, 2009, 01:50:04 PM

Just bought a few new albums.  We'll see how it goes

Fugazi-  the Argument
Decemberists-  the Crane Wife
Burial-  Untrue
Sufjan Stevens-  Illinois
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 06, 2009, 12:23:16 PM

This week, I have mostly been listening to;

Slayer - World Painted Blood. I think I prefer it to Christ Illusion, especially the handful of really fast songs.

Children of Bodom - Skeleton In The Closet. Although not all of it. I've only copied the metal covers and the Creedence Clearwater Survival song on to my ipod. Oh, and I don't care if they are doing it to be funny, Oops I Did It Again is an abomination.

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague. CC is a good example of a band where I prefer their newer stuff. I don't know if it's down to the quality of the earlier recordings, or just that I prefer the crystal clear sound, tones and production you get from modern studios. (unless they screw it up post production but that's another discussion)

Lady GaGa - The Fame, because you can't sing along to George Fisher.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: November 06, 2009, 01:26:45 PM

I've been listening to Band of Gypsys, DTB slipped into one of their tunes in the middle of an extended jam, so I've been in the mood for some old style jams. That and a bunch of baroque and renaissance stuff on guitar.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: November 07, 2009, 06:12:29 AM

Burial-  Untrue

I'm also listening to this a lot at the moment. His debut album 'Burial' and several of his EPs just got added to Spotify, so I'm getting through them. I think I prefer 'Untrue' to 'Burial' myself.

Sufjan Stevens-  Illinois

I only came to hear about this in a roundabout way. A while back I was directed to a remix album by a producer called Tor. He had sampled and redubbed 7 tracks from the Illinois album with some of Rap's best MCs (Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Outkast) to great result. You can down load the mixtape tracks HERE for free, it's worth taking a look in my opinion as it is done so well, and hey - free music!

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:49 AM

ICP is a combination of rap, angst, sadism, and fetal alcohol syndrome.

Well, combining anything with rap is an instant win, IMO.

Six Feet Under + Ice-T.

My current line up:

Pagan's Mind + The New shit

Gojira Adoration for None

GWAR, Duh.

A bit'o Human Remains (oddly catchy isn't it.)

and a heavy dose of STRAPPING YOUNG LAD

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague. CC is a good example of a band where I prefer their newer stuff. I don't know if it's down to the quality of the earlier recordings, or just that I prefer the crystal clear sound, tones and production you get from modern studios. (unless they screw it up post production but that's another discussion)

Cannibal Corpse Lounge Music  why so serious?

One of my all time fav CC tracks...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:51:40 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 10:47:13 AM

Yeah, the Sufjan Stevens stuff is interesting.  Anyone heard Michigan?  I guess the guy plans on writing an album for each state.  Weird.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 10, 2009, 11:06:59 AM

Yeah, the Sufjan Stevens stuff is interesting.  Anyone heard Michigan?  I guess the guy plans on writing an album for each state.  Weird.

He's been having a bit of a breakdown lately, sadly. A heady mix of faith troubles and music exhaustion. Though he has also stated that the '50 States' project that Illinoise and Michigan belong to was a conceptual joke that got taken too far by the music press. Which is hardly surprising, really. Considering he's an artist who puts absolutely every fibre of his being into his albums proper, I doubt he'd ever manage to do it even if he continued releasing music into his 100s.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #121 on: November 10, 2009, 12:11:36 PM

Thank goodness.  I would hate to hear what he would write about Kentucky and West Virginia.  There would be a high content of banjos and pigs, I suppose.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 10, 2009, 01:14:53 PM

Cynic became Gordian Knot from 1999-2003, which is probably better than Cynic as it's less muddled with 'Am I metal or prog rock?' clumsiness...much more coherent, and damn cool.  I don't like their second album as much, but their first one is killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tIUzoQwcQ

Atheist on the other hand made one absolute masterpiece in Unquestionable Presence.  As far Elements, I find it's really mediocre and directionless compared to UP.  It has a much better production though, which was the only fault of UP, other than that...bleh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czMX7a30Rns&feature=related

And I'm glad that Jesu was mentioned.  Jesu killed shoegaze for me.   What's the point of anything after their initial EP and s/t?  Broaderick is a genius.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:26:24 PM by trias_e »
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 10, 2009, 04:33:51 PM

If you have not bought Slayer's "World Painted Blood" and claim to like metal, you are missing out.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #124 on: November 11, 2009, 05:01:38 AM

My iPod broke, so I'm back to burning CD's instead of shuffling so much. I should just keep it this way.

Kind of "mainstream" rock listening lately.. Diggin' it though. Velvet Revolver, Green Day's new-ish album heh.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:06:16 AM by stray »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #125 on: November 11, 2009, 07:17:57 AM

I broke out the old-school metal yesterday.

Best album you've never heard of  Mean Season- Grace.  

Followed by Fountainhead- Drain and Integrity- Those who fear tomorrow.

Great stuff.

Edit:  Probably just "old school" to me.  Old school probably means Deep Purple to most.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 11, 2009, 08:13:58 AM

Edit:  Probably just "old school" to me.  Old school probably means Deep Purple to most.

YES.  Add in Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin. I've heard some consider Cream and Iron Butterfly to be originators as well.  

I'm listening to Cream right now... love that band.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:09:05 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #127 on: November 11, 2009, 11:06:50 AM

I finally got around to buying and listening to the new Rodrigo y Gabriela album (11:11). It is pretty fantastic stuff, much more funk-influenced than the first album.

Also, if you've never heard the Budos Band, you should check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc1-6xJohzA

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 12, 2009, 07:17:38 AM

If you have not bought Slayer's "World Painted Blood" and claim to like metal, you are missing out.
I'm not sure I like metal any more. I used to be a big Slayer fan back in the day, but the vocals just don't do it for me anymore. I was looking through my Amazon recommendations for something to toss on the wish list to get into this week's sweepstakes and was sampling the older Mastodon stuff. I can see why the older fans don't like the newer stuff, I guess melodic vocals aren't the thing in metal, and that's pretty much all I care for there days. I don't mind a little yelling now and again, but the bulk of the material should be singing, in key and appropriate to the material.

Cream, I guess I like them but I'm not in love with them. We actually used to do a rough version of White Room, but for the most part I didn't listen to them much until recently, and they were more of a link between other stuff I was listening to. I guess the context is missing, there's a lot of stuff I like much more from that era, Hendrix for the power trio, Zep, Mac, ABB etc. I've got a great jam of Spoonful but still prefer Charley Patton's 1929 version. Clapton has moments, but he's never clicked with me, not sure why.

My fiancee just ordered Setzer's new album Songs From Lonely Avenue, there's a guitarist who clicks with me. Makes me vacillate between quitting or practicing for hours. In the truck I've been listening to Freddie King's Burglar (zomg), the ABB show from this summer and some Django. Stupid Mastodon CD doesn't like to go into my changer, so I'll have to burn it to another disc to get my metal fix.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 12, 2009, 09:24:44 AM

I'm not sure I like metal any more. I used to be a big Slayer fan back in the day, but the vocals just don't do it for me anymore. I was looking through my Amazon recommendations for something to toss on the wish list to get into this week's sweepstakes and was sampling the older Mastodon stuff. I can see why the older fans don't like the newer stuff, I guess melodic vocals aren't the thing in metal, and that's pretty much all I care for there days. I don't mind a little yelling now and again, but the bulk of the material should be singing, in key and appropriate to the material.

Have you heard Heaven and Hell?  It's Dio!  And it's even pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clLf-L9oSo

Manilla Road is also still making good music, probably not as good as their 80's stuff but still solid in irrevocably epic.  The sound quality is pretty bad though.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRCCktD-4G8

As far as death metal vocals go...good death metal would be pretty fucking hard to come up with any sort of melodic vocal track to.  Read impossible.  I could understand preferring no vocals over the vocals present though.  And as far as Slayer goes, I'd rather spin Hell Awaits or Reign in Blood another 50 times than listen to their new album. 
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:31 AM

While usually screaming vocals don't bother me, this guy just sucks.  But the music is outstanding.  (Sadist s/t 2007)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGQ4pef5Lx8&feature=PlayList&p=DFF44CB832798A39&index=7
schild
Administrator

Reply #131 on: November 12, 2009, 09:41:47 AM

Just putting it out there, I'm about to make a huge order from hotstuff.se in the next few days. Excitement, assuming I ever receive product I order.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #132 on: November 12, 2009, 11:13:13 AM

Yeah so my sister-in-law is turning 40 and we're having an "80s Prom" themed party.  

This has allowed me to turn up some long-lost gems such as

The Bird by Morris Day and the Time and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZZHK73iwTk

Living in America by the big guy James Brown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHqUipinDyw

Any suggestions would be fun.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:01:45 PM by ghost »
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 12, 2009, 01:02:11 PM

Yeah so my sister-in-law is turning 40 and we're having an "80s Prom" themed party. 

It's not like you won't have thought of 90% of these already, but I need a distraction from a splitting headache and Photoshop's creaking.
Apologies if any of these are not technically '80s' hits, but I associate the hell out of them with the 80s.

Huey Lewis & the News - The Power of Love
Huey Lewis & the News - Back in Time
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
Phil Collins - Sussudio
Talk Talk - Talk Talk
Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
Tears for Fears - Woman in Chains
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You
Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open the Door
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Toto - Africa
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
Billy Ocean - When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going
Billy Ocean - Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car
The Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes
Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling
Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
Billy Joel - The Longest Time
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
a-ha - Take on Me
Ultravox - Vienna
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
The Smiths - Cemetery Gates
The Smiths - There is a Light that Never Goes Out
The Smiths - What Difference Does it Make?
R.E.M. - It's the End of the World as We Know it
R.E.M. - Radio Free Europe
R.E.M. - Stand
R.E.M. - The One I Love

...yeah ok I'm done.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #134 on: November 12, 2009, 03:00:46 PM

Just picked up the Russian Circles new album at their show, which was fantastic by the way.

I have heard their music called "post-metal" which sounds like something some fucker at pitchfork media came up with.  Whatever you wanna call it, if you like Pelican, Isis, Redsparows, type stuff check out the Rusian  Circles.

Also picked up the new Katatonia album "night is the new day".  Stupid album name aside, it is a great album.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 12, 2009, 04:39:06 PM

I more than understand where you are coming from.  90% of the newer metal bands think growling or screaming is all that is necessary (combined with downtuning to drop D or C and using one finger to run up and down the fretboard for chords).  Well, I personally don't care for Cookie Monster in my ear, no matter how great the music is.  I put up with Carcass and Heartwork purely on the instruments, the vocals just made me cringe.  Slayer is as "growly" as I get these days, and even then I don't consider Tom's voice to be that horrible or bother me that much compared to many other bands out there.  Melodic vocals are big if you like falsetto in certain aspects of metal, but the bravado and falsetto drives my nerves too much to listen to that much (ala Dream Theatre).  Plenty of good stuff from bands with melodic singing has been released, but I'm not up on much of it anymore since it isn't popular and all the bands I liked imploded around 2004-2006 time frame.

Clapton has moments, but he's never clicked with me, not sure why.
This got me kicked out of friends houses in high school and called a tone-deaf asshole in college.  I liked Clapton all right and I like Cream as well.  But I am not a huge fan and something about Clapton just never clicked with me at all other than a few great songs he did.  Mostly I find his music to be quite boring and just don't care for it.  I can listen to it and appreciate it, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it or hunt it down.  And if it's on the radio I'll change it.

And as far as Slayer goes, I'd rather spin Hell Awaits or Reign in Blood another 50 times than listen to their new album. 
Have you heard it?  If so, that's perfectly fine as I still like those albums better than it anyways (not ever going to top them).  Not as great as their last, but definitely their best since Seasons.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 12, 2009, 04:46:30 PM

Clapton has moments, but he's never clicked with me, not sure why.

I think it's the difference between Beethoven and Mozart.  I tend to be more of a minimalist when it comes to guitar.  I love Clapton and Gilmour while Vai and Satriana give me a headache.  I appreciate Setzer, but he tries too hard to fit Rockabilly into everything.  His new album sounds like a bunch of 50's detective show themes.  Great concept, but still too much guitar work for my tastes.  For me it's the difference in balancing melodic and technical.  I prefer the melodic end. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #137 on: November 12, 2009, 05:22:11 PM

You only need one song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAt_I3EIaM
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #138 on: November 12, 2009, 05:28:56 PM

Man, an actual opportunity to legitimately link Rick Astley. Those don't come up very often.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #139 on: November 12, 2009, 06:11:33 PM

You only need one song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAt_I3EIaM

That one is good, I have to admit.  I think this one is better though, for obvious reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH0SoZNdozs&feature=player_embedded#
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: