Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815221 times)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #70 on: October 24, 2009, 02:26:00 PM

To be fair, Lemmy is the guy who got thrown out of Hawkwind for taking too many drugs. I'm not sure he should be a go-to guy for any kind of opinions - even on his own stuff.

As probably the biggest Hawkwind nut here, I should point out that Lemmy was a speed freak - he would burn speed for a week and then take downers and sleep for days. Basically he was doing the wrong drugs, and it was making him very difficult to work with. He wasn't the band's favourite member by the time he got busted carrying a gram of speed across the border from America into Canada. It was a monumentally bad decision by the band, and it is telling that all parties involved blame each other rather than taking any credit for the decision.

And you're selling Lemmy short, he's a smart guy.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #71 on: October 24, 2009, 02:30:57 PM

Oh, I can't forget discovering Dengue Fever. I feel like a pontoon pirate (the dirty, mean kind). Or maybe Asian James Bond. This shit reminds me of old thai pop I'd hear when I was a kid.... Except it's a bunch of brothers and whiteboys, and only one khmer chick.

edit: Oh, one more thing. Metal Inquisition is one of the funniest blogs I've ever come across that's music related. Some real hard hitting reporting here. Such as.. "King of Metal" Joey DeMaio living in his parents basement or just being clued in on the fact that all hardcore bands are pathetic wiggers.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:05:47 PM by stray »
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 24, 2009, 03:51:07 PM

Here's the quite astronomically brilliant Bicycles.

I'll take your word on the album being shoegazey, but that particular song is pure Low-Life period New Order. I have discovered one really good shoegaze album from this year - Engineers' Three Fact Fader.

The album isn't so much shoegaze as many of shoegaze's miriad little subgenres, but there are definate shoegaze elements abound on the album. But yeah, Bicycles is mightily New Order-ish at the midway point, and it's when that guitar and bassline kick in over the children's choir that just sends it off into the cosmos.

As for Engineers, 'Three Fact Fader' would have featured in my next post on here. I am a big fan of Engineers and that album has had a long hard struggle to see the light of day. If you've not heard it, I definitely recommend their debut album, 'Engineers'. Huge, wrought iron tunes. Few young bands ever sound so complete and majestic.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 24, 2009, 04:12:48 PM

And you're selling Lemmy short, he's a smart guy.
Exactly.  Sure, he does\did a ton of drugs, and drinks a ton as well.  Every interview I've seen him give he's been 100% coherent and made quite a bit more sense than almost any other "metal" musician.  While I don't exactly condone the lifestyle or think it's a great idea, it's quite impressive that he's still going on and on even at soon to be 64.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 24, 2009, 04:15:25 PM

Though now there's probably a whole generation of kids out there who only know him as 'that guy who looks a bit like Killmaster'...

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #75 on: October 24, 2009, 04:17:22 PM

There seems to be a lot of shoegaze-y bands coming out of NYC, and they are all pretty good. They're older stuff is better though.. I've heard newer things from some of these bands, and it's gotten "cleaner" and poppier. Before it was more deafening Kevin Shields like stuff. Asobi Seksu or A Place to Bury Strangers are good examples. Heard them Matt?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #76 on: October 25, 2009, 02:37:23 AM

'The Earth Must Be Cleansed of Juggalos'

Is there is any kind of music that you truly, in your gut, should feel be destroyed? I feel like I can support censorship after reading Carles (also, another good blog btw.. although it's not always about music..).

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #77 on: October 25, 2009, 05:15:27 AM

'The Earth Must Be Cleansed of Juggalos'

Is there is any kind of music that you truly, in your gut, should feel be destroyed? I feel like I can support censorship after reading Carles (also, another good blog btw.. although it's not always about music..).

What the fuck was that?

Goddamn I hope that I just missed the green or something here.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 25, 2009, 06:14:34 AM

What the fuck was that?

Goddamn I hope that I just missed the green or something here.

ICP is a combination of rap, angst, sadism, and fetal alcohol syndrome.  So no, there's no green there.  A friend used to listen to it, and at times I felt like I was a bad person for not beating the shit out of him for it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #79 on: October 25, 2009, 06:15:14 AM

You must not be familiar with Carles' schtick (which is the most hilarious/ironic parody of blogging and personal "branding" I've ever seen btw). Or if you just mean the content (not the blog itself) he's right... 'Juggalo's' (and 'Juggalettes') are useless. I thought insane clown posse was already bad.. But this is like a serious epidemic, masquerading as a music genre. Bad news.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 25, 2009, 06:27:05 AM

I thought insane clown posse was already bad.. But this is like a serious epidemic, masquerading as a music genre. Bad news.

No, you see, you can't really blame an epidemic for killing people and being cockgobblers with so little taste that their preferred form of music makes Eminem look like the height of art, because microbes don't really have a choice in the matter.  These assgoblins are so terrible that even rappers don't want to be associated with them.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #81 on: October 25, 2009, 06:39:33 AM

No I'm familiar with ICP and the ilk and yes they are fucking terrible with no redeeming features whatsoever (the Juggalo baby funeral is probably the most cringingly awful thing I have ever seen). I didn't know about Carles' and it just read like a terrible Myspace page with no real structure or point.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #82 on: October 25, 2009, 07:03:58 AM

I don't want to click that link...  ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Carles is tongue in cheek. Mostly. Sometimes it's hard to tell. His point in every post is just analyzing the aesthetics of various "scenes" and subcultures/genres/brands/memes/marketing. He's pretty cynical, but goes about it in that strangely autistic kind of way. There was a guy I was used to argue with on the ESPN boards who used a deliberate array of verbage/dictation like that, where he always had to include the word "sample" in every other sentence. I can't even imitate it right now, but I just found it fucking funny. In Carles' case, he uses the word "bro" a lot (mostly with prefixes.. "tweenbro", "scenebro", "douchebro" etc; emphasizes with ' ___ ' quotations, and ends every post with inane rhetorical questions..

Anyhow, I believe he's fairly serious in that post though. Hating juggalos is something I can get behind.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:24:02 AM by stray »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 25, 2009, 09:12:13 AM

Oh FFS. Just post music that you like. How fucking hard is it?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #84 on: October 25, 2009, 09:21:29 AM

ICP is a combination of rap, angst, sadism, and fetal alcohol syndrome.

Well, combining anything with rap is an instant win, IMO.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #85 on: October 25, 2009, 09:40:25 AM

Fair enough. I've been listening to a lot of Rubicon recently. They are basically the rest of the Fields of the Nephilim without Carl McCoy doing melodic alt rock that sounds a bit like Badmotorfinger era Soundgarden. No Youtube links because searching for 'Rubicon' just gets you hundreds of pages of videos about Jeeps or some shitty college band from Virginia. Being a big fan of the Neff's rhythm section it's nice to hear them trying out different sounds.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #86 on: October 25, 2009, 12:44:46 PM

So Righ is downstairs listening to Dream Theater right now.  That's fine and usually when it comes to this sort of music, I aggressively try not to listen to the lyrics because they're almost always daft.  With The Count of Tuscany, however, it's hard not to listen because they're daft AND bizarre.  The soldiers in the wine?  lolololwutwut? 

Time for a nice herbal remedy and some System 7. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #87 on: October 25, 2009, 12:51:12 PM

Took me a couple days to remember my password to log in from home :P A Place To Bury Strangers...the linked video was pretty cool. Kind of a Pink Floyd meets 80s protogoth meets me sitting around the band room with an effects rack and some double-dipped blotter.

Trivium has some cool guitars, but the drums are kind of obnoxious HEY I HAVE A DOUBLE BASS PEDAL (I'm a total drummer wannabe, btw...stuff like this gets me all lathered up). The singer completely ruins the band, I can't listen to someone just yell. If you're gonna yell, at least do it melodically like Phil Anselmo or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NewEBRKFwXg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRA3VgO3Vz0

Love the Pepper Keenan, Deliverance is a great album, too. Superjoint just fucking crushes. Or even Zakk's yell style when he's not trying to cop Oz's style.

Or you could just go for the modern Geddy Lee  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:23 PM

So Righ is downstairs listening to Dream Theater right now. 
Not a fan. I know a really good guitarist who used to worship DT. He was trying to get me to play bass in a new project he's putting together with our second drummer, based on something like Meshuggah, who I don't really care for either, so I passed. Might have been fun, but meh.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #89 on: October 25, 2009, 04:57:04 PM

Or even Zakk's yell style when he's not trying to cop Oz's style.

I think I was in some emotional state or something a few months back, and Zakk actually made me cry.. It might have been something really southern sentimental--- like a skynrd cover of simple man. Haha.. Can't remember now. It was a slow jam though, and his voice was low in it.

He might not be Southern, but he does it as well as Dime/Phil or Pepper. Hell, it might have been a tribute to Dime. Maybe that's why I was sad.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #90 on: October 25, 2009, 08:56:25 PM

Pelican's new album is being streamificationified

http://www.myspace.com/pelican

I have been listening to this all weekend and will snatch this bad boy up as soon as it is released.
For those that haven't heard Pelican it is instrumental rock in the vein of, well I don't know what to compare it to.   They are on Hydrahead records if you are familiar with their stuff.

f'it just click the link and check out a song or two Ohhhhh, I see.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #91 on: October 25, 2009, 09:00:17 PM

Not a fan. I know a really good guitarist who used to worship DT. He was trying to get me to play bass in a new project he's putting together with our second drummer, based on something like Meshuggah, who I don't really care for either, so I passed. Might have been fun, but meh.

Ever listen to Cynic or Atheist? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwrOESDXxo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4TkW7Q_GE&feature=related

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #92 on: October 25, 2009, 09:10:48 PM

Cynic's badass. I like these guitars in Pelican.. never heard of them before. Will check out more.

I don't think I could listen to a band named Atheist though. Not that I mind atheist bands. Just seems too obvious. It's kind of like I can't listen to that Death Metal band who had an album called "Death Metal".

Then again! Cynic's a pretty lame band name too, yet they are good.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 25, 2009, 10:26:43 PM

The Count of Tuscany is the best song Dream Theater have penned in a decade, even if it is somewhat reminiscent of a few Rush songs. The lyrics are the worst they've ever penned, and they have a history of bad lyrics, so they really had to pull out all the stops to write lyrics so dreadful.

Obzen is not a good place to discover Meshuggah. In an effort to be even more raucous than their previous efforts, they notched the speed of bass kicks and fills up so much that the polyrhythmic interplay between the drums and rhythm guitar are muddled. And when you cant hear the inventive polyrhythms, Meshuggah cease to sound so special.

For those that haven't heard Pelican it is instrumental rock in the vein of, well I don't know what to compare it to.

Neurosis. :D

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #94 on: October 26, 2009, 06:03:28 AM

Petrucci's badass, but I don't get into the overall sound of Dream Theater either.. Too many chill jams.

[edit]

Gonna move to the guitar thread.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:33:55 AM by stray »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 26, 2009, 11:18:37 AM

I'd tell you how awesome Black Sabbath is, but you already know.  Or you're subhuman.

Mettalica is pretty consistently awesome before they started going different places after Burton died.  People bitch and moan about Metallica after (or before) Black, but there's usually a few decent pieces in any given album, though sometimes it's completely different than what you'd expect out of a Metal band and you have to not be a snobby twat in order to appreciate it.

Apocalyptica is nice if you want to headbang to Cello. awesome, for real  I really like Heat, though every time I play it I feel like it would fit in equally as well in a Final Fantasy boss fight.

Then there's that really fucking cool song that appears during the Warlock duel in World of Roguecraft.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:58 PM

I'd tell you how awesome Black Sabbath is, but you already know.  Or you're subhuman.

Actually, there's something to be said here. The 2009 Sanctuary remasters represent the finest you'll hear the albums on CD. After endless dodgy remasters, they've finally put out CDs that are worthy of the music being presented. Didn't take long, huh? Yes, the Rhino box set from a couple of years ago was poor too. Links to Amazon UK because Amazon US import prices are stupid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Sabbath/dp/B001TKMAGW/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paranoid-Black-Sabbath/dp/B001D2AYCI/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Reality-Black-Sabbath/dp/B0023P1D8S/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Sabbath-Vol-4/dp/B002JIEYLW/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabbath-Bloody-Black/dp/B002JIEYL2/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabotage-Black-Sabbath/dp/B002JIEYLC/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Say-Die-Black-Sabbath/dp/B002JIEYKS/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technical-Ecstacy-Black-Sabbath/dp/B002JIEYLM/

Make sure you buy those ones if you ever decide to replace what you have. It's a minefield of bad sounding CDs out there.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #97 on: October 26, 2009, 02:51:46 PM

Nice.

I stop at volume 4 though. Except for Johnny Blade. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And then Randy trumps all of it imho.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #98 on: October 26, 2009, 04:24:52 PM

Anyone else like Ashley MacIsaac?

http://ashleymacisaac.net/

I love this kind of stuff.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:08 PM

I stop at volume 4 though.
Sabotage had some of their finest work!  ;-)
Infinitecorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 26, 2009, 05:38:48 PM

1. Iron Maiden
2. Metallica
3. Steely Dan
4. Cheb Khaled
5. Benjamin Britten

all are awesome

I am perpetually stuck in the 90's
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:27 PM

I'm going to have to pick up the new Fuck buttons album. It's not bad from what I've heard so far.

Getting excited about festival season in Aus. Got a whole bunch of bands I'm going to see for the first time. Particularly looking forward to:

Echo & The Bunnymen
Animal Collective
Wild Beasts
The xx (wondering how they'll be live, though)
The Very Best
The Middle East (twice!)
Jarvis Cocker
Paul Kelly
Dizzee
Mastodon (fuck yes!)
Faith No More
Isis (who were awesome last time I saw them)
Meshuggah
Anthrax
Sunny Day Real Estate

I mean, I don't have enough money for such things, but... music, right?

So yeah. All those I've mentioned I'm pretty keen on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:20:07 PM by lamaros »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #102 on: October 26, 2009, 11:45:28 PM

Head Phones President (new album)

Pretty cool... Not sure, but perhaps someone here might be interested in their older stuff instead. They're slightly "folky"/the compositions seem to follow more unique cultural arrangements, in a way similar to how Euro countries adapt metal to their own folk music. I think they should get back to that.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #103 on: October 27, 2009, 06:33:18 AM

Sunny Day Real Estate

Surprised these guys are still kicking.  I used to listen to them a bit. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 27, 2009, 06:56:16 AM

Ever listen to Cynic or Atheist? 
Note: some music it takes me a while to get into. I usually hate Tool albums when I first get them, until I can digest them. That said, Cynic has potential, but I don't care for the drums. Too much straight double bass drumming, and his fills are muddy. He's better in the slower sections, though. Singer isn't doing anything for me. They're almost there, but missing a certain groove factor.

I liked the Atheist track better. The bass is ridiculous in the mix, though. Sounds like an evil spring or something. Good bass line, just an awful mix. And the singer, another singer ruining a decent band for me. I like very few metal singers.
I stop at volume 4 though. Except for Johnny Blade. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And then Randy trumps all of it imho.
I see your Johnny Blade and raise you a Symptom of the Universe, one of my favorite Sabbath tunes. Randy obviously deserves his spot in the pantheon, but that doesn't diminish how great Tony was. Different styles, Randy was classical where Tony was bluesy.

We just saw a cool new (to us) band on MavTV over the weekend: The Legendary Shack Shakers. Those motherfuckers kick some serious ass and I'd really like to catch them live. The frontman is certifiable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: