Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:55:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 820053 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1225 on: August 14, 2012, 04:08:05 PM

Well, no, it is never going to be as fresh. But what I mean is just from a songwriting perspective that first album is just really strong top to bottom, that's going to be hard to match.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1226 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:32 PM

You see that with other bands as well.  It's tough to bring it on the second album, and most bands are dead in the water at album 3. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1227 on: August 14, 2012, 06:39:50 PM

You have your whole life to write the first album and a couple years to write the next one.

Part of the longevity of Van Halen was all the early recordings they did, tons of great songs they're still harvesting for material (there's one on the new album).
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1228 on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:15 AM

You see that with other bands as well.  It's tough to bring it on the second album, and most bands are dead in the water at album 3. 

Whenever I talk to anyone about this concept, I bring up Pearl Jam's Ten.  It's one of the few albums that's unbelievable start-to-finish.  I know they're a great band and whatnot, but listening to that album all the way through still makes me think, "holy shit, this isn't a greatest hits album--it's their first fucking one."

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1229 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:53 AM

You have your whole life to write the first album and a couple years to write the next one.

Part of the longevity of Van Halen was all the early recordings they did, tons of great songs they're still harvesting for material (there's one on the new album).

Which might be appropriate to add to the conversation if Van Halen wasn't the shittiest band in existence.  Well, maybe third shittiest, behind the Eagles and Journey.   awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1230 on: August 15, 2012, 08:15:18 AM

If you're going to stick Journey in there you'll have to add Foreigner.  And Styx.  REO Speedwagon.  Boston.  Toto.  Kansas.  Oh never mind, there's too many.  Stick them all in a cauldron and you'll find my migraine.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1231 on: August 15, 2012, 09:30:23 AM

Burn them all........ awesome, for real

You left out Bachman Turner Overdrive. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1232 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:52 AM

Which might be appropriate to add to the conversation if Van Halen wasn't the shittiest band in existence.  Well, maybe third shittiest, behind the Eagles and Journey.   awesome, for real
You, sir, are dead inside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2R2KXNQR1M
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:59:37 AM by Sky »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1233 on: August 15, 2012, 10:06:48 AM

Isn't ghost proclaiming Van Halen the worst band evar kinda like the Black Company of this thread?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1234 on: August 15, 2012, 10:07:46 AM

The Black Company is a great series.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also, Signe is back from sabbatical so she needed to hear about it. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1235 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:46 AM

Which might be appropriate to add to the conversation if Van Halen wasn't the shittiest band in existence.  Well, maybe third shittiest, behind the Eagles and Journey.   awesome, for real

You shut your dirty whore mouth.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1236 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:36 AM

Who is your favorite out of those three, Haemish?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

While I can appreciate their musical talents, I find Van Halen to be almost nauseating. 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1237 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:31 AM

To tell the truth, if forced to listen to any of those bands, it would have to be Van Halen.  I couldn't listen to Journey.  I just couldn't.  I'd rather di... kill... than listen to that voice.  Even now, I'm becoming agitated.  Having said that, everyone knows I mostly listen to demented music. 

As for that series - books!  I'll see if my roomie has them.  He's got like eleventy-bazillion books.  I thought maybe it was tv series in which case I probably wouldn't be able to get it because I'm tv station deprived right now.  I miss my True Blood.   Heartbreak

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:49 AM

I just tell myself I only like Journey ironically.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1239 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:44 AM

So I guess I shouldn't admit to having seen Styx, Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and Fleetwood Mac on multiple occasions?   Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1240 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:12 AM

The only one there I'd be *really* embarrassed about is Styx. Well and maybe REO Speedwagon.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1241 on: August 15, 2012, 12:00:13 PM

So I guess I shouldn't admit to having seen Styx, Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and Fleetwood Mac on multiple occasions?   Ohhhhh, I see.

I know who Buckingham Nicks is?  Fucking parents.   ACK!

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1242 on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:01 PM

I was bombarded by my family and their music when I was growing up.  My uncle probably had the most influence on me.  Whenever I came to visit them he would sit me in front of his record player, slap these 40 lb headphones on me, and put all these records on.  I think it's still the main reason most of the music I enjoy most came out of the 70's and early 80's.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1243 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:57 PM

If you're going to stick Journey in there you'll have to add Foreigner.  And Styx.  REO Speedwagon.  Boston.  Toto.  Kansas.  Oh never mind, there's too many.  Stick them all in a cauldron and you'll find my migraine.
You left off Asia DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ah the days of Arena rock bands -- those were the best of times awesome, for real

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:03 PM

Ah the days of Arena rock bands -- those were the best of times awesome, for real

As much as people dislike these bands they did put on some pretty good concerts. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1245 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:36 PM

Supergroups don't count, obviously.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1246 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:55 PM

I like Journey and the Eagles, too. And REO and Kansas. Boston is decent. Styx, Toto, meh. Asia: Nooooooooooo, hey check out their new album XXX.

Fleetwood Mac was awesome up until Peter Green left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

And Danny broke a string at 1:50...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:19:15 PM by Sky »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1247 on: August 15, 2012, 01:37:24 PM

I personally don't mind Styx or REO Speedwagon.  I mean, I won't go out of my way to listen them but I don't consider them awful.  I respect Fleetwood Mac, but other than Tusk don't really dig their music.  Tusk is awesome, particularly the version with the USC band. 

I don't like Boston or BTO or Kansas or Foreigner.  Toto and Asia are okay, in my book, but only their poppy shit that was on the radio.  None of these bands listed above are bands that I would actually choose to listen to. 

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1248 on: August 15, 2012, 01:51:07 PM

Yes.  No, I really mean "Yes".   Ohhhhh, I see. 

And I've seen most of these bands live, too.  Nearly everyone in my family listened to this sort of music.  My sister, definitely.  My brother in law was a professional bassist for a hardcore band so I have that in common with him - the music, not the bass.  I like a lot of different music but for some reason much of it isn't a very melodic.  I don't care what sort of music people listen to, pop, rock, techno, rap... as long as they listen to something.  I think music makes people feel less indiffernt and more involved - even Styx, I guess.  Well, except when you're stoned and listening to Tricky - then you're not really involved, you're just stoned and listening to Tricky.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1249 on: August 15, 2012, 01:55:01 PM

I think music makes people feel less indiffernt and more involved - even Styx, I guess.  Well, except when you're stoned and listening to Tricky - then you're not really involved, you're just stoned and listening to Tricky.

...and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you need to disconnect. Trip hop can be amazing for internalizing.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1250 on: August 15, 2012, 02:07:58 PM

Of the three bands listed, I'd listen to Van Halen first... but not Van Hagar. I've just never been able to stand them with Hagar as the singer for an entire album, even though I love Sammy Hagar. Next would be the Eagles, and then Journey. I kind of got sick of Journey for a while, but since I picked the guitar back up, I've come to appreciate them more (and pop music in general). As for Styx, don't make me hurt you. I played my 45" of Renegade so much it almost warped. That was a great band that took a nosedive once Shaw got marginalized. Of the 70's style bands listed, only REO Speedwagon gets on my tits - I can't listen to them for long. Or Toto. Or Asia. I dig them for nostalgia but not for listening. I'd rather put on Slayer or Anthrax.

Or Rush. And since that article on prog rock didn't even fucking MENTION Rush, it's a shit shit shit article (though I'm sure they'll get to it later). How you can mention Porcupine Tree (great band) but not Rush who is STILL PUTTING OUT GREAT MUSIC AFTER OVER 40 FUCKING YEARS is beyond me.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1251 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:24 PM

They stopped being a prog rock band a while ago, though.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1252 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:12 PM

I have always kind of hated Rush.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1253 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:52 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't have put Rush into the prog rock category either.  That's another band that I really have to be in the mood for.  Tom Sawyer and YYZ can really hit the marks sometimes for me though. 

I'm sure you're a big fan of the Anthrax rap album, right Haemish?   why so serious?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1254 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:10 PM

I have always loathed Rush.

Is more like it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1255 on: August 15, 2012, 03:45:08 PM

I have always kind of hated Rush.

Heresy!  Most of the dislike or hatred towards Rush really comes down to Geddy's voice.  I still think they are 3 of the best musicians in the business though.
<3 Rush personally.

Rush started out ProgRock but grew out of it, their earlier albums I would consider of that genre.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1256 on: August 15, 2012, 05:00:19 PM

Neil Peart is an absolute badass.   
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1257 on: August 16, 2012, 01:44:09 AM

Haemish's order is pretty much the order I would rate them, too.  Sorry about Styx.  I think music you grew up with sort of sticks with you to some degree.  I didn't grow up with Styx so there's not that connection.  As for Rush, I like Rush.  I don't think you could have lived in my house with my husband and not like Rush or Porcupine Tree.  I think Geddy Lee is awesome.  Except when Tom Sawyer gets stuck in my brain, which is nearly every time someone says Rush, I could scream.  It ends up in there for days.   ACK!

Oh, and I STILL play a lot of Slayer!   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1258 on: August 16, 2012, 09:07:05 AM

You people who do not like Rush are dead inside.

Yes, they grew out of "prog rock" decades ago, but then... Asia? I think most "prog rockers" of the early style grew out of it too.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1259 on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:19 AM

It comes all down to what the exact definition of "prog rock" is.  I don't count Rush, but I count Yes.  I probably wouldn't count most of Styx, but some would.  One thing I know for certain-  Slayer is not prog rock. 
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: