Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Developer Diarys - SoM Related 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Developer Diarys - SoM Related  (Read 26149 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 17, 2009, 12:24:57 PM

Is it always Common, or do you happen to wield a Common damage staff?

That's on the description of the Burning Embers ability itself. My staff is Westernesse, my sword is Common.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 01:08:28 PM

- Henry Cobb
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 01:36:25 PM

until I play it with my 32 alt I can't see a single bad thing about this revamp.  Great stuff.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 06:18:29 PM

That man is a multi-tasking machine. They better hope to never loose him. That is some awesome stuff.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #74 on: November 25, 2009, 06:50:35 PM

OK, not logging in with Fatwing until after the update.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #75 on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:25 PM

Damn, I completely missed the entire Weathertop sequence when I was going through that area. I didn't get any book quests until the Agamaur stuff. The revamp might be a good reason to go back to my hobbit burglar alt.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #76 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:57 PM

I missed Weathertop with three characters so far.  No idea where it starts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 28, 2009, 04:46:25 PM

The weathertop sequence is really fantastic, not quite the great barrow, but really good. But it's also one of or the first times you get a group going with serious opposition and the standard advice is "don't take it if you're trying to get undying."

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 28, 2009, 05:51:18 PM

I missed Weathertop with three characters so far.  No idea where it starts.

Looks like your not alone. Appears you can't miss it now!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #79 on: November 28, 2009, 08:57:03 PM

Its one of the best and well written books.  And most missed.  You really have to go out of your way to do it.

Its probably my favorite.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 29, 2009, 02:18:15 AM

IIRC, you have to do Candaith's arc to the end.

- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:46 AM

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: November 30, 2009, 12:15:29 PM

Reposting everything got me interested, mainly because of the upcoming combat changes. I can't possibly express how different I feel about this game now that it has a built in quest helper. It's a little mortifying that a little arrow seems to have completely changed my attitude about a game. I hadn't quite realized how irritating flipping back and forth to the web was.

It feels more responsive in movement. Looking forward to seeing the combat changes and should have a few days to monkey around with them before I decide whether I'm staying or not, but right now probably.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #83 on: November 30, 2009, 01:42:30 PM

The combat changes aren't world-shattering, but they did make melee more fun for me. Just a but more responsive feeling.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 01, 2009, 12:23:32 AM

More responsive combat, eh? As a WOWhead, this is relevant to my interests. How does it work with casters (loremaster etc), can you chain spells? (ie. start casting a spell with a long casting/induction time, and hit an instant cast either during the end of the cast or right after it, so it'll cast the long spell and immediately follow up with the instant one)

About latency, how does it affect combat now? (mostly looking for input from someone playing from Aus or Europe) So far I got the best latency in LOTRO out of all mmogs I played as an Euro on US servers (maybe their servers are east coast, which would be  Heart), but 150-200 ms can still be a problem when using a large number of instant spells.

edit: The title of this thread makes grammar snake  Sad Panda...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:30:31 AM by Zetor »

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 01, 2009, 01:39:45 AM

It's still not WoW. Some skills are marked "Immediate" and they are as instant as instants in WoW (even more so, since they interrupt any currently queued or performing skills), but most skills aren't. It's really just a design and balance decision at this point, skills need "cast time" since there's no global cooldown in LotRO.

I'm guessing what you're really asking is "do instants apply all their effects up front" (like WoW does), and the answer is no. You will still get an animation and get the effect applied somewhere in the middle of it (depending on where it makes sense in relation to the animation.) They haven't fundamentally changed how animations and skills interact, just how they suppress eachother. The major point of the update was to let skills truncate auto-attacks, so that you get the damage from the auto-attack but don't have to wait for the animation to finish if you want to use a skill. It'll be most noticable for melee fighters, such as Warden. I've noticed a significant DPS increase since I can now have auto-attacks turned on without it messing with my timing.

Overall it just feels a little snappier, really. It still plays the same.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:41 AM

I have to admit that you bring up something that has always annoyed me in WoW.  Instants cause a global cooldown.  It really annoys me.  I guess I got used to DAoC where an "instant" really was an instant.  It could be cast and immediately followed by another spell.  If you're going to have your instants refresh the GCD, then call them a spell with 0 cast time.  The first time I hit an instant in pvp and saw that it caused the gcd, I was all messed up. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 01, 2009, 07:20:58 AM

It's still not WoW. Some skills are marked "Immediate" and they are as instant as instants in WoW (even more so, since they interrupt any currently queued or performing skills), but most skills aren't. It's really just a design and balance decision at this point, skills need "cast time" since there's no global cooldown in LotRO.

I'm guessing what you're really asking is "do instants apply all their effects up front" (like WoW does), and the answer is no. You will still get an animation and get the effect applied somewhere in the middle of it (depending on where it makes sense in relation to the animation.) They haven't fundamentally changed how animations and skills interact, just how they suppress eachother. The major point of the update was to let skills truncate auto-attacks, so that you get the damage from the auto-attack but don't have to wait for the animation to finish if you want to use a skill. It'll be most noticable for melee fighters, such as Warden. I've noticed a significant DPS increase since I can now have auto-attacks turned on without it messing with my timing.

Overall it just feels a little snappier, really. It still plays the same.

Instants > Skills/abilities > Auto attacks.

Is how I read the change of interruption/overrides. My understanding is, that interrupted spells do indeed still output the damage even if you use an instant (same with auto attack, damage still outputs even if you never see the animation)

There was some developer responses about this, ill see if i can dig it up. Or we can all check it out in the live game :)

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 01, 2009, 07:32:36 AM

Interesting... so if you start casting a long spell (such as Test of Will) and 'interrupt' it with an instant right after casting, the instant will hit and the spell will 'silently' finish and damage/stun the enemy when it was supposed to be done casting? I wonder how that interacts with interrupts and stuns / CC.

To follow the slight derail: I like the idea of a GCD (as long as it's at least 1 second, preferably 1.5). Without it, a lot of the game (especially pvp) can degrade into button-mashing, and winning or losing will be mostly decided by who has the lower latency. I've found the GCD in WOW makes engagements a bit more tactical even for classes that have nothing but instant casts (warrior, rogue), and most classes have 1 or 2 abilities off the GCD (usually an interrupt) that are literally fired when you hit the button, especially when combined with a /stopcasting macro. OTOH from what I played of Aion, I didn't like the almost-nonexistant (0.5sec?) GCD.

edit: and yes, I didn't mind the lack of a GCD in LOTRO much, since like Tarami said, it doesn't have many instants to begin with (though my runekeeper had a few).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:37:22 AM by Zetor »

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:38 AM

Phivex has been talking about it, seems like he's one of the engineers responsible for the combat changes. This thread here.

It's a bit messy though, so here's what I (think I) know:

Skills have four components, happening in order as a skill fires:

1. Lead-up animation;
2. Effect application;
3. Trailing animation;
4. Possible additional delay.

- Normal skills, not marked Fast or Immediate, will wait for the entire sequence (1 - 4) to finish before the next skill in queue fires. This is the default and how most skills worked and still works.

- Fast skills, such as Guardian reactives, will ignore any additional delay (step 4) and fire immediately after the prior skill has finished animating. This class of skills did exist prior to SoM, but they were rarer.

- Immediate skills, such as Champion Clobber and other interrupt skills, will interrupt the entire sequence if needed and fire instantly, and also immediately apply all effects not yet applied by the prior skill. As a side-effect, Immediate skills can be used to "hurry" skills with long animations and/or long delays. Ergo, you'll win time by chaining Immediates directly after Normal skills.

Auto-attacks used to work like Normal skills, but they now take the backseat entirely and basically tick individually. They won't delay skills and will basically take zero time to perform if needed, squeezed in between queued skills.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:30:16 AM by Tarami »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #90 on: December 01, 2009, 10:39:06 AM

In the beta, starting a 3hit Champion skill, then hitting clobber (an instant) after the second hit would prevent the 3rd hit of the combo. This was a few weeks ago, but I doubt it's changed, as it felt right. So skills with a slightly longer 'warm-up' and big damage hit were riskier to use if you might need an interrupt, but you weren't waiting for animations to stop if you needed and interrupt RIGHT NOW.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 01, 2009, 04:45:21 PM

Well, Phivex said this;

Executing an "Immediate" skill will 'truncate' any executing skill; 'interrupt' probably isn't the correct word. The current skill animation will be stopped, all remaining payout delivered (yes, you get the full damage/effects of the current skill) and then the "Immediate" skill will execute. You will definitely find some interesting new skill chains with this capability...

which made me believe you actually get all intended damage. I haven't personally checked though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Developer Diarys - SoM Related  
Jump to: