Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Guild Wars 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2  (Read 606052 times)
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 06:01:04 AM

You know it's funny.  Not being able to jump didn't really bug me in FFXI.  Drove me nuts in Guild Wars.  Seems strange but true.  Major contributor to the reason why I didn't play for very long and never picked up any of the expansions.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 06:04:00 AM

Drives me bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:01 AM

I think it's the combination of no jumping, invisible walls and the more detailed/realistic world/characters.  Your eyes tell you that you could just step over an obstacle, jumping will easily get you over, and WHAM, you hit an invisible wall.  Drove me nuts and from the game as well.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 07:12:43 AM

You see an NPC jump in the trailer.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 07:17:17 AM

Not good enough!

The next gameplay trailer should just be a shot of someone mashing the spacebar while the character leaps in tune.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 07:20:35 AM

Not good enough!

The next gameplay trailer should just be a shot of someone mashing the spacebar while the character leaps in tune.

Picard, where art thou?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 07:37:01 AM

That better mean I can Jump!

It must suck for you, being a white man.  why so serious?

Over and out.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:26 AM

Trailer and FAQ now up on the website.
Love how they don't fall for the WoW disease that's vertically exaggerated terrain. FFXIV seems to also avoid that and it makes things so much more like some actual world.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:35 AM

In the video where the ships are in the air, connected together, you can clearly see people jumping from ship to ship.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:17 AM

What engine is this?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 09:11:49 AM

What engine is this?

ArenaNet's self-developed graphic engine.

Q: Will Guild Wars 2 use an entirely new graphics engine?
A: The GW1 engine will be the foundation of the GW2 engine, but it will be upgraded and rewritten substantially to provide a visual experience that players will expect in a sequel to Guild Wars. (Source: PCGamer)

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/showthread.php?t=477045&gr_i_ni
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:03 AM

Yeah, just got done reading up on it. Its a home brew engine. Apparently other NC soft games use it, I'm thinking aion. They do not license it to non NC soft companies.

My first thought was hero, but I guess I was wrong.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 09:18:58 AM

Apparently other NC soft games use it, I'm thinking aion.
Aion is using Crytek's engine, the one used for Far Cry.
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:33 AM

Their art technique is unstoppable.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:53 AM

According to an interview I read, not only will you jump, but also swim and climb.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 09:38:54 AM

*Squee*

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 09:41:41 AM

According to an interview I read, not only will you jump, but also swim and climb.
According to the totally rigged video I watched, not only will I be buying it, but I'll be buying it with a smile if only for the art book.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 10:09:07 AM

The world art, as much as is shown in the promo vid, is stunning. The character art, well, its a GuildWars derivative, so its gonna be at least a bit asiany, but well within my tolerance limits. The little munchkin race looks a bit saccarine, but you can't win em all.

Seems like maybe someone somewhere has finally learned that you don't have to reinvent the wheel to have a succesfull MMO. Create good art, a simple world story arc, solo and group gameplay and accessability, and people will be happy.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 10:09:43 AM

Tasty morsels from another forums.

Quote from: HRose
Well, trailer is out and it shows a very similar style to GW and the same trend of 90% cardboard cutout scenery (passive backgrounds and huge structures whose only purpose is to look pretty).

Not impressed.

Quote from: Eric Flannum
Almost none of the scenery in that trailer is cardboard cutout... you can go play around on 90% of it. For instance the giant dam, the massive asura city, the snowy mountains, all places you can go.

Quote from: HRose
What about interiors?

In GW all buildings were solid blocks of nothing. If the environment is a bit more open and without barriers everywhere the game would have solved a significant problem

Quote from: Eric Flannum
GW 2 has full support for interiors. The game is very open with only the sort of barriers you'd expect to see in just about any open world type game.

Popcorn
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 10:20:04 AM

Screw his doubting little cynical ways with a Fiery Dragon Sword.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:44 AM

That trailer has suddenly got me interested. Some fantastic art direction on the scenery and the character models.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #56 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:25 AM

Our goal with Guild Wars 2 is to create nothing less than the definitive online role-playing game of all time.
Facepalm
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:27 AM

Hey at least they called it a GOAL and not "what they were doing, guaranteed, no refunds."
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 11:43:11 AM

Also, to allow players the freedom to play together even if their friends are at a much higher (or lower) level, we are planning to implement a strong sidekick system, similar to that used in City of Heroes™.

We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without first leveling up characters, finding equipment, and unlocking skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment.

That sounds nice

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46:51 AM

Interesting.

I wonder what the goals of this game are?  Whats the end game?  Or is it just GW1 but with an open world (which is still a cool thing)?

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 12:26:37 PM

Jesus Christ.

Who is the world designer?  They need to give that man a raise.  Some of the set pieces in there are inspired as well as being fucking gorgeous.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #61 on: August 20, 2009, 12:59:45 PM

Didn't care for Guild Wars, but that trailer has me intrigued enough to give GW2 a look.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:42 PM

Eurogamer article.

"We actually don't have a traditional RPG/MMO quest system," Flannum continues. "Instead what we've got are Events. Think of them as group-orientated activities. This is one of the many things that will encourage the player to explore the world - you can wander through and never quite know what you're going to see. You might come across a fortress that's being attacked by centaurs, or it might be that the centaurs attacked half an hour before you got there and they hold it now. You might start walking along a road you've walked a hundred times and suddenly there's a caravan travelling along that road that you may not have seen, and you can go help that caravan out."

There's also an attempt to introduce more variety into how the players can interact with this new, living world - and not just the welcome addition of a jump. To say that Guild Wars was combat-focussed would be something of an understatement; the absence of crafting and non-combat professions meant that there wasn't a whole lot else for players to take up on a whim if they felt like it.

"We're definitely introducing crafting, as well as a few other things that are going to provide players with other things to do," assures Flannum, although he can't say what those other things are. "I don't want to say it'd take the focus off combat, but it's definitely not going to be the case that the only way to interact with someone in Guild Wars 2 is to hit them on the head with a sword."

There are significant new areas, of course: most excitingly, the prospect of exploring an underwater continent. Flannum claims that there will be "a lot" of underwater exploration, and it will be possible for all races and players.

"Competition has always been consensual in Guild Wars, and we've retained that as one of our core tenets. It also goes along with accessibility and being able to play with your friends," says Flannum. "We looked into dividing the races early on, and we decided against that, specifically because we want you to be able to play the race that you want and also be able to play with your friends. We didn't want to fracture our player base by having a good-versus-evil vibe going on between the players themselves."

In addition, there's also a new World PvP system, which lets you use your PvE character and equipment to play against other people on a more open battlefield, the Mists. "It's very casual PvP where you can gain levels and have ten-on-one fights or 100-on-20 fights or whatever, where everything flows naturally on the battlefield and there's no limits to how many players can be involved," elaborates Flannum, though the team can't go into specifics about exactly how players will gain access to the Mists.
"We wanted to give our competitive players, who were a really important part of our GW1 audience, what they want," says Flannum. "Those people don't want to lose to someone who's just played more time than them. They want access to all the same skills as the other person, and they want it to be their skill in making and executing a character build to be what wins them the day."

Hope.  Change you can believe in.. etc.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 20, 2009, 02:13:58 PM

Their art technique is unstoppable.

Kawaii! Desu! Desu! Desu!

I will say, GW1 looked good while being easy on the system specs (I ran it on my old Win98 box!  ACK!) I'm expecting similar performance from GW2.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 20, 2009, 03:17:58 PM

I need an emoticon to express the fact that I did, in fact, climax, at the confirmed jumping news and am thoroughly satisfied.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2009, 03:28:05 PM

Lack of crafting was one of the things I actually liked about Guild Wars, so the news that they're adding it is dissapointing.  On the other hand jumping sounds good.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #66 on: August 20, 2009, 03:35:21 PM

Actually Jumping is the new crafting system.  Jumps have to be created for combining athletic resources.

"Me am play gods"
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 20, 2009, 03:46:58 PM

Oooh man, that's a nice looking game. GuildWars provided me a good month's worth of entertainment. I'll take that again any day.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:08 PM

Actually Jumping is the new crafting system.  Jumps have to be created for combining athletic resources.

Yeah, I actually lol'd on this one.  Very, very funny.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 20, 2009, 04:41:59 PM

Fordel, while not an emoticon, I find *squee* fulfills that purpose nicely.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 69 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Guild Wars 2  
Jump to: