Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1275600 times)
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #7560 on: September 05, 2011, 04:41:35 PM

Wow. I just posted that because it was topical. I wasn't looking to strike any nerves with it. Sorry bro.

I wasn't aiming that at you...   why so serious?

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7561 on: September 05, 2011, 04:48:58 PM

I'm fairly certain your warrior screwed you.  I'm fairly certain I've had to kick multiple LDs before, but you only get one live kick, which counts if you kick an LD.  So if you had kicked the pally first you then could have kicked the priest.

Which is still completely stupid. If the priest just went afk like our pally, we'd have been stuck with at least one of them and forced to 4-man the dungeon anyway.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7562 on: September 11, 2011, 03:25:03 AM

For everyone else playing dress-up with their e-dolly looking for items for transmogrification: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/mogit.aspx

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7563 on: September 11, 2011, 04:49:55 AM

That is the most awesome add-on.  Ever.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7564 on: September 12, 2011, 06:54:09 PM

With the final showdown against Deathwing approaching, we’ve been keeping a close eye on players' progress through the current Firelands raid content. Before patch 4.3 is released, we want groups who are working on Heroic-difficulty content to be able to get as close to Ragnaros as possible, and we want players who are tackling normal progression to be able to experience as many of the encounters as they can. To achieve these goals, we’ll be toning down the difficulty of both normal and Heroic raids through hotfixes in the coming weeks. In general, we plan to reduce health and damage of all raid bosses in both normal and Heroic Firelands by around the same percentage we brought difficulty down for the original Cataclysm raids when Rage of the Firelands (patch 4.2) was released.

We're looking forward to seeing more groups of players face off against the Fire Lord in the weeks ahead. However, before we make these changes, we want to give everyone a final shot at the bosses at their current difficulty level -- so this is a heads up that we’re planning to apply the difficulty hotfixes beginning the week of September 19.

Stay tuned to the Patch 4.2 Hotfixes blog for these and other live updates to the game as they happen: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3019413
Sauce

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7565 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:55 PM

Interesting to tell the world they are going out of their way to nerf content instead of just implementing buffs ala WotLK

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7566 on: September 12, 2011, 07:35:30 PM

I guess that catering to the hardcore raiders idea worked out really well for them, eh?

Over and out.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7567 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:55 PM

Interesting to tell the world they are going out of their way to nerf content instead of just implementing buffs ala WotLK

There was some whinging regarding the hotfixed nerfs that went in this week to Rag and Beth'tilac as well as the change to legendary rates in Heroic 25s.  Having a heads-up post heading into the raid week is probably in response to that, although I think they would toss it out even without that considering its apparent scale.

As for the buffs you're talking about, that was just for ICC and I'm still not sure how I feel about them.  I liked that they preserved the feel of fights versus just taking an axe to difficult (and probably interesting) mechanics but it certainly didn't do my guild a lot of good.  It felt like we got worse by the month more than the buff's amount swamp poop.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7568 on: September 12, 2011, 08:53:58 PM

I guess that catering to the hardcore raiders idea worked out really well for them, eh?

When there is nothing else to do for people at 85, no.

So in less than a week T12 will see a ~20% nerf? Terrific, there is no way my guild will run out of interesting content to do before 4.3, which is probably going to arrive in Nov/Dec.

It took my guild a long time, but we finally downed regular Ragnaros this past weekend. I was looking forward to smoothing out our execution and gradually moving into heroics, but if the T11 nerfs are any indication, none of these fights are going to be fun/interesting in less than a week.

I think I'm done. I don't care about the Deathwing fight that much, and this change is a pretty clear indicator that they want to go back to a Wrath-style difficulty.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7569 on: September 12, 2011, 09:12:17 PM

I'm looking forward to the changes. We've gotten Rag to the second phase transition (~40%) exactly once in...4 weeks of attempts? Granted we haven't been extending, and we've had a LOT of DCs/no-shows/late starts, but still. I'm tired of wiping on this fight because one person didn't pay attention and stood in a lava wave, failed to kill their add, stood in the middle when the seeds were spawning, etc.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7570 on: September 13, 2011, 02:54:44 AM

I'm looking forward to the changes. We've gotten Rag to the second phase transition (~40%) exactly once in...4 weeks of attempts? Granted we haven't been extending, and we've had a LOT of DCs/no-shows/late starts, but still. I'm tired of wiping on this fight because one person didn't pay attention and stood in a lava wave, failed to kill their add, stood in the middle when the seeds were spawning, etc.

We pretty much had the same problem. Every week we'd have a new person, and we'd spend a few hours wiping while they learned the fight (or other people died to stupid stuff like engulfing flames or lava wave). We probably did the second phase transition about ~8 times total, all of our other wipes (many, many wipes) were before transition 2. Our winning attempt was actually only the second time we'd seen phase 3, and the first time we'd spent more than 30 seconds in phase 3.

Eventually we actually got a raid group that had all seen the fight on previous nights, and it clicked.

Basically: After phase 2 transition is nailed, if you're all up and your ranged is paying attention to meteors, you win.

Or I guess you could just wait a week for a 20% nerf, after which none of the mechanics will pose much of a risk, and you can collect your free loot and then be bored for another 3-4 months.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7571 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:52 AM

If your group has just finished up normal mode, even a 20% across the board nerf isn't going to make heroics trivially difficult.  And unless you've been two-healing everything (in 10s) they're pretty much new fights anyway.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7572 on: September 13, 2011, 05:32:22 AM

My crazy guild leader was whining about this last night.  I didn't quite understand why, but he kept returning to the idea that it was ridiculous that it was happening so soon and that 4.3 wasn't even on test yet.   I don't see how it's too soon as they're already killing Heroic Ragnaros and we're not nearly bleeding edge. *

He stopped when they got on the topic of a possible new expansion next summer, meaning there wouldn't be a year-long raid of the same content, like happened with Icecrown.

* The only reason they're killing H-Rag is because we're still a 25-man guild for all intents.  They aim for 25's then split into 1 or 2 10s if there aren't enough people to do 25 that day.  The H-Rag kill came on a day they could only do 1 10-man so they had all the best players who'd already seen the fight there.

I'll note it's been harder and harder for them to get 25 sign-ups.  Even though they do focus on rotating people and making sure there's not an "A raid" and a "B Raid" you still wind-up leaving people out and folks quit (plus the increased Cata attrition).  As predicted 10s and 25s with shared lockouts has all-but-killed 25-man raiding.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:36:30 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7573 on: September 13, 2011, 05:58:19 AM

I imagine that it's quite deliberate that they're not waiting until Firelands has been superseded to nerf it.  Maybe the whole "We made T11 a lot easier." thing didn't really drive much extra traffic to it because it was "old".  Not to project, but it's been pretty much impossible to get certain people in our 10-man to go want to go back for Heroic T11 stuff like Al'akir and Sinestra on our spare hours even though it would be brand new for us and drop useful gear (and pretty titles!).

It does seem like they've been trying new ideas about how to mix content difficulties out of the same tier at around the same time for three straight years now and maybe they'll be able to learn something from trying it this way.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7574 on: September 13, 2011, 05:59:11 AM

They just need more fucking content basically.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7575 on: September 13, 2011, 06:22:45 AM

I think I'm done. I don't care about the Deathwing fight that much, and this change is a pretty clear indicator that they want to go back to a Wrath-style difficulty.

awesome, for real

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #7576 on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:45 AM

They recently said that they start the nerfs when their internal metrics flatten out, indicating that fewer people are beating the content. Presumably that's what they are doing now, but the very scientific straw poll I've just taken of the respondents to this thread seem to indicate that people are still progressing.

Witty banter not included.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7577 on: September 13, 2011, 06:48:45 AM

They recently said that they start the nerfs when their internal metrics flatten out, indicating that fewer people are beating the content. Presumably that's what they are doing now, but the very scientific straw poll I've just taken of the respondents to this thread seem to indicate that people are still progressing.

Oh people are progressing, there's just a LOT less of them bothering to try.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7578 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:29 AM

Anyone in this thread at this point in time is either still playing, watching the train wreck, or crazy.  Your straw poll is horribly biased in favor of people still playing the game.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #7579 on: September 13, 2011, 09:47:14 AM

Most of the raiding guilds in FL on my server (Aerie Peak) seems to be hung up at 6/7. That includes mine (though, we just go to Rags last week).

I brought the nerfs up to our GL last night. She seemed a bit surprised by how soon (well, presumably), but it is what it is. I'd like to beat his ass as he is now, but frankly, I want my trinket and don't much care how I get it...  evil

Although, we only got one night of real attempts on him (relatively--a significant part of the raid was dead nuts drunk), we were having issues with the adds. Last night was to be a real throwdown with him, but one of our tanks went AWOL. The RL seems to think we'll have him down in a week of solid attempts. I think he's still drunk (I recall the month and a half we spent on Al'Akir). Whatever. I'm in for the long haul to the next expansion regardless of nerfs at this point.

Or at least until ToR goes live...
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #7580 on: September 13, 2011, 11:29:47 AM

Your straw poll is horribly biased in favor of people still playing the game.

I'd guess that Blizzard's raid progression metrics are biased the same way  :)

That said, I'm curious what everyone else's impression is, because I'm not sure how closely they stick by the "nerf when people stop progressing" rule. They nerfed 4.1 when 4.2 came out, which is suspicious timing.  Unless they had a previous round of nerfs I'm forgetting.

Witty banter not included.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7581 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:36 AM

My anecdotal impression is that firelands is unpopular.  My casual guild was raiding and having fun in t11, we were 9/12 normal before the nerfs and then killed the final bosses after them.  We managed to kill shannox our first week in firelands but got destroyed by the dps requirements on beth'tilac and rhyolith.  We could basically only kill shannox and people were too burned out on the troll dungeons to farm valor to improve dps.  Eventually people got fed up of clearing all that trash just to down one boss and we stopped going, went and did some old raids for guild achievs and mounts instead.

More anecdotal: it really seems that the number of people milling about outside firelands while their raid gets together is only equal to the crowd in front of either BoT or BWD whereas it should be equal to both combined.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #7582 on: September 13, 2011, 12:11:47 PM

They need to stop deprecating old content every time they launch a new raid.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7583 on: September 13, 2011, 12:21:56 PM

They need to stop deprecating old content every time they launch a new raid.

You're wrong. They need to make content accessible on the front end and then dump it when then next iteration comes out.

You'll never get people to love doing something that's not new in a game where they are paying for the priviledge, and you'll never get people excited about dragging people through old content just to get them geared for the stuff they really want to be doing.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7584 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:30 PM

I just think they need to do something more than "Look they are getting bored, let's release a new raid and a new tier of loot!  That'll keep them playing!"
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7585 on: September 13, 2011, 01:15:38 PM

You'll never get people to love doing something that's not new in a game where they are paying for the priviledge, and you'll never get people excited about dragging people through old content just to get them geared for the stuff they really want to be doing.

Speak for yourself. I loved the linear gear progression of TBC because it gave me more stuff to do on all of my characters. I was excited about gearing new players up and doing pugs, because that meant my alts got to run older content that still had meaningful rewards.

5-mans in TBC never gave you a near-full set of gear that was better than what you could get from raiding, so there was always something worthwhile to do in the game. You did 5-mans>Heroics>Kara>Gruul/Mag/ZA>SSC/TK>Hyjal>BT>Sunwell. I geared up two alts up through SSC/TK, and that was a lot of fun repeatable content. In Cata both the difficulty and the rewards are so temporary. I don't have any interest in doing T11 on my alts when they nerfed it into another boring faceroll with gear rewards that will be replaced by running ZA/ZG 80 times in 4.3. The disposable content model emphasizes how little content is in Cata instead of giving players more.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7586 on: September 13, 2011, 01:25:35 PM

You are literally insane as nobody did that in BC.

By the time Sunwell was out you got better gear from heroics (or better heroic gear by running Kael's heroic) by farming badges than running old content.  Just like today!  Barring that your guild dragged your ass through the current raid until you were geared.  Least that's what we did with the few quasi-geared folks we brought along.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7587 on: September 13, 2011, 01:42:11 PM

Emphasis on 'by the time Sunwell came out'. Badge gear started off very limited, so you could only approach a full set by the time Sunwell hit. Before that, Badge gear only augmented gear you got and gave you a 'boost' to catch up, it wasn't a total replacement for raid gear like current badge loot.

As for the Sunwell 5-man? I believe the gear was on-par with Karazhan loot. This meant you still had a reason to run T5/6/7.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:45:13 PM by Rokal »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7588 on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:54 PM

I think I'm done.

Again?  How many times does this make now?

Over and out.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7589 on: September 13, 2011, 01:48:26 PM

I think I'm done.

I'm guessing every content announcement since, sunwell.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7590 on: September 13, 2011, 02:23:36 PM

Speak for yourself. I loved the linear gear progression of TBC because it gave me more stuff to do on all of my characters. I was excited about gearing new players up and doing pugs, because that meant my alts got to run older content that still had meaningful rewards.

I'm sure you did. And if people liked what you like across the board, the game would still be gaining subs or at the very least retaining them.

Except it's not. And it isn't. And it won't as it continues into the near future because they tried to make people like you happy.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7591 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:11 PM

I think I'm done.

Suppose it'll be the third time since release. Quit after M'uru during Sunwell. Picked up Wrath after it had been out for a few months, only played about a month before quitting again. This makes three. Unfortunately I'm paid through to late October.

I'm sure you did. And if people liked what you like across the board, the game would still be gaining subs or at the very least retaining them.

Except it's not. And it isn't. And it won't as it continues into the near future because they tried to make people like you happy.

You are still assuming that everyone quit the game because the expansion was too hard or inaccessible. There were like a hundred different reasons to quit during this expansion.

I'm sorry not standing in fire was so hard. Hopefully the next expansion lets you and your guild stand wherever you please.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7592 on: September 13, 2011, 03:06:57 PM

And you're still assuming that the majority of people quit for reasons other than content and difficulty. People say shit all the time, and they act for different reasons altogether. Nobody is making posts when they quit saying, "The game is too hard, I'm constantly in the fire, and I'm done." No, they blame all kinds of other stuff when the reality is they just sucked or were tired of others sucking. If people played as good as they think they do, Cataclysm wouldn't have caused as much sub loss. And, if the world drove as well as they say they do, we'd have no car accidents.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7593 on: September 13, 2011, 03:20:08 PM

I think I'm done.

Suppose it'll be the third time since release. Quit after M'uru during Sunwell. Picked up Wrath after it had been out for a few months, only played about a month before quitting again. This makes three. Unfortunately I'm paid through to late October.

I was referring to the number of times you've said it just in this thread.  And yet haven't actually quit.

Over and out.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #7594 on: September 13, 2011, 03:21:37 PM

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: