Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:49:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1270366 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: August 27, 2009, 12:04:57 PM

Azshara is useless for everyone, barely has any quests in it as horde. Only good thing about it is killing Azuregos every once in a while, nice gold to it.

Silithus is terrible for leveling, mobs there have more hp and hit harder than everywhere else.

But, but, lolsand!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #561 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11:52 PM

Plus the cooking recipe from there!  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

God Save the Horn Players
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: August 27, 2009, 12:12:16 PM

Azshara had only one use for me: Catching fish to level my cooking skill.  I think there is an engineering recipe there for a water breathing helm as well, but it has been a while.

Silithis sucks.  Period.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #563 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:03 PM

I think there is an engineering recipe there for a water breathing helm as well, but it has been a while.

Dude, hydrocane.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: August 27, 2009, 12:18:02 PM

Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge are so far out of the way (horde) that I had totally forgotten about them tbh.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #565 on: August 27, 2009, 12:21:52 PM

I often top off in Silithus if I'm out of low hanging fruit in the other end-of-50s zones, because there are several quests you can do without having to wander too far from the flight point. Basically I do all the 'easy' quests in all of the high level zones (EPL, Winterspring, Silithus, Burning Steppes) and get myself a drink or whatever when flying to the next one.

The zones I always try hardest to skip if I can, personally, are Un'Goro and Desolace.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #566 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:56 PM

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Desolace. I'm glad that's getting exploded too.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: August 27, 2009, 12:48:22 PM

I kinda like desolace but it was just way the hell to grey. I am glad its getting some love.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: August 27, 2009, 12:49:59 PM

Dude, hydrocane.

Yet another thing I was ignorant of.  Thanks for that.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: August 27, 2009, 01:16:38 PM

Searing is green, and Burning and Ungoro are both orange. The problem is that all the zones start or end at 50, and usually have an assumption of you getting a few levels elsewhere. With the XP changes, I found I'd burned all yellow and low orange quests by the time I hit 49, and everything else was a little silly on the difficulty, or effectively grinding greens.

51 gets a lot better, but 51-53 is still a bit obnoxious where you'll run smack into +3 mobs on quests and still lack the massive power boost characters get with TBC gear opening up.

This is just all from my last attempt at leveling. I may level in a really odd pattern.

Yeah, we noticed you hit that leveling brick wall at around 50.  It took you what?  An hour to get from 50 to 60 instead of your more typical pace of 10 minutes or so?  why so serious?

Over and out.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #570 on: August 27, 2009, 01:21:23 PM

I have a thing for the ambiance of Aszhara, but I agree the quests are few and all involve humping back and forth down that loooong road infested with naga.

For Horde at least the quest giver is more centrally located.

Witty banter not included.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: August 27, 2009, 01:40:05 PM

Ratman I've honestly had the exact opposite experience. On my past 3 characters, 50-58 is just a nightmare. After the Hinterlands there are no good questhubs, so you have to bounce around earning half a level here, a level there, etc. Once you get to Hellfire you're back in quest heaven, STV style.

I'm not gonna strut it and say my opinion is the only right one. I did do it on a Pally both times, and they're not the quickest levelers in the pack. But Outlands seems so.... slow... compared to vanilla WoW. I did do the second run after the XP/Leveling boost, and that combined with using Jame's leveling guide took me to 60 pretty quickly.

Once Lich King hit they also lowered the XP curve in Outland to match what they had previously done for 20-60, so if you haven't done it since then, it is much faster. Like, ding 68 in the 2nd or 3rd zone you hit faster.

Ah, I was 70 by then.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: August 27, 2009, 01:43:02 PM

Azshara is useless for everyone, barely has any quests in it as horde. Only good thing about it is killing Azuregos every once in a while, nice gold to it.

I love Azshara. Seriously. I used to farm General Fangferror on my hunter alt for kicks. (and his blue sword drop was worth a fair bit of gold on the AH) And there's not as much competition for Thorium there. (Even if it is a bit sparse and spaced out.)

Maybe I liked it because no one went there.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:22 PM

I liked it because there is a large amount of stuff which just looks like it should have quests associated with it... but don't.  It's like a throwback to an earlier age - a huge zone filled with oddities that you have to hunt out, and no one leading you by the hand to tell you what or where they are.  I liked it because it was an oddity, not because I want to return to the grind.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: August 27, 2009, 04:11:43 PM

Badlands is the most pointless zone for alliance really.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: August 27, 2009, 04:24:57 PM

Swamp of Sorrows is even worse, really. Badlands is pretty bad, but hey, you get your first shot at a plate BP reward or something there, I seem to recall from my noob warrior days!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #576 on: August 27, 2009, 04:37:59 PM

Swamp of Sorrows is the worst and most pointless zone for Alliance. It also has the stupidest, longest, most pointless 5 man in the game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: August 27, 2009, 04:43:06 PM

I agree with you on two of those points but in terms of longest you must have blacked out all memories of BRD.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:29 PM

BRD seemed long and pointless at... I forget if I went in there at 70 or 80.

Either way, it was still ridiculously long.

... wasn't that a 5 man instance?  Now the goddamn raids in WoW take less time than vanilla 5 mans.
 awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #579 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:55 PM

BRD was longer, but it at least had many attunements and could be done in chunks. Clearing the whole damn thing wasn't really the goal usually. With Sunken Temple the quest was at the very end, and it required all those stupid intermediate running around in circles activating shit bothers.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #580 on: August 27, 2009, 05:07:13 PM

they've mentioned a few times over the years that BRD was one of the first dungeons they designed.  It was intended to be this epic, sprawling place that went on forever and you could spend many levels running around in.  You see this by all the runs you can do.  Ring of Law, The Back doors for the giant, the gate, the fire eles, the salamander dude and the throne room.  Of course, it's way too fucking big and I don't know what made them realize it.

I think  Blackrock Spire with its two distinct experiences via the same entrance came later.  Then, towards the end of beta they designed Scarlet Monastery, and we know how loved that place is based on how every dungeon complex since then has used the hub design.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #581 on: August 27, 2009, 05:16:16 PM

Swamp of Sorrows is awesome for leveling herbalism. Otherwise yeah, useless for zee Alliance. I like it well enough as Horde, though.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: August 27, 2009, 05:22:38 PM

they've mentioned a few times over the years that BRD was one of the first dungeons they designed.  It was intended to be this epic, sprawling place that went on forever and you could spend many levels running around in.  You see this by all the runs you can do.  Ring of Law, The Back doors for the giant, the gate, the fire eles, the salamander dude and the throne room.  Of course, it's way too fucking big and I don't know what made them realize it.

Its the kind of thing that makes a ton of sense when you are designing dungeons around the idea of "hey, this is the evil dwarven city"  instead of "hey, this is going to be 30 minutes of trash and 3 bosses."  The former sounds WAY better on paper.  I can almost imagine them sitting around a table thinking about how awesome it will be to explore this hostile city with a bunch of people.  Come to find out, the MMO audience doesn't actually want to explore a city, they want dinggrats.  oops.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: August 27, 2009, 05:32:59 PM

Its the kind of thing that makes a ton of sense when you are designing dungeons around the idea of "hey, this is the evil dwarven city"  instead of "hey, this is going to be 30 minutes of trash and 3 bosses."  The former sounds WAY better on paper.  I can almost imagine them sitting around a table thinking about how awesome it will be to explore this hostile city with a bunch of people.  Come to find out, the MMO audience doesn't actually want to explore a city, they want dinggrats.  oops.

I really liked exploring it quite a lot... the first time. I bet a lot of other people shared that experience, but the problem with MMOs is you can't get away with stuffing your game with a bunch of stuff people will only do once.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #584 on: August 27, 2009, 05:35:49 PM

The zones I always try hardest to skip if I can, personally, are Un'Goro and Desolace.

Un'goro is awesome.  I only got squashed by a dino once the last time I went.  Although I got mighty sick of the place when leveling mining.  Round and round we go. 

Still, it's a place you can turn in like 15 quests at once as you do a circuit of the entire zone.  Awesome for ding-grats and unintentional comedy (Devilsaur, I choose you!).

-Rasix
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:47 PM

Un'goro is awesome.  I only got squashed by a dino once the last time I went.  Although I got mighty sick of the place when leveling mining.  Round and round we go. 

Still, it's a place you can turn in like 15 quests at once as you do a circuit of the entire zone.  Awesome for ding-grats and unintentional comedy (Devilsaur, I choose you!).
So true.  My warlock just got 55 off of that place starting at 52-53ish or so.  Now that the kill counts are reduced and the mobs required are halved, it's a much happier place (still a good example of circuit quest design).

And for Horde, I am 1 bar from 56 and starting Felwood.  All of the quests are green (only the earliest grey out before 59-60 or so), and when turned in I'll be 57, then on to Winterspring for 58, and then back to Felwood to finish it up for 59 and maybe plaguelands if I haven't hit 60 before finishing the last of Winterspring (nothing greys out in Winterspring before 60).  I've done this on 3 different characters in the last few months, so I've got a pretty good system down for breaking through to 60 and hitting Outlands.  I know, everyone loves to hit it at 58, but I've had nothing but trouble when I tried to do that on some of the quests and the frustration at failing at Zeth'gor over and over was just too much to deal with.  Not to mention until recently you didn't get your epic land mount until 60 and trying to do HFP with mobs that can catch you and kill you on a 60% speed mount was no fun either.

I do Azshara as horde as it's good for one level or so if you hit the one quest hub and hit the other goblin for his quests.  Do all of those and you get a pretty decent amount of experience for the time invested.  Lots of running though.  Azshara does have some pretty nifty quests associated with it, but they are so far buried in elite 60 chains with such lousy rewards and time investments that no one ever bothered to do them.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: August 27, 2009, 05:55:18 PM

I suppose I can stop skipping Un'goro now that mounts can swim, thinking about it.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: August 27, 2009, 05:56:22 PM

I love Azshara!  Fairly high level herbs just a skip away from Orgrimmar.  Plus just a beautiful zone and quiet.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: August 27, 2009, 05:57:53 PM

BRD style dungeons would be fine if the trash didn't respawn. They would be better suited as a raid. CoT:BRD would be something I would jump at in a heartbeat.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #589 on: August 27, 2009, 06:07:59 PM

If they reduced the amount of trash by 85%, sure.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: August 27, 2009, 11:12:34 PM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:30 PM

Swamp of Sorrows is the worst and most pointless zone for Alliance. It also has the stupidest, longest, most pointless 5 man in the game.

"Hey man, can you please run me through ST?"

groaaaaaaaaaaan.....

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:42 AM

"Hey man, can you please run me through ST?"

groaaaaaaaaaaan.....

ST isn't THAT bad, but it does have the problem of having a pretty big level gap which makes it almost impossible to do the end stuff when if you've gone in at the right level for the beginning stuff.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: August 28, 2009, 05:29:31 AM

ST is one of those instances that is interesting to do once; like Uldaman.

Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: August 28, 2009, 05:38:48 AM

I always found BRD to be the best instance in WoW, ever. Not design-wise, it was a horrible play experience unless you knew exactly what to do. But the feeling of a sprawling dungeon with multiple paths is unique in WoW. Clearing all of it with a group of five back in Vanilla was a feat, hell just getting to the final boss required some good group coordination. It also had plenty of "fun" quests to complete and secrets (such as the enchantment books, opening of the vaults, several ways to get past the bar etc.). It was an experience, rather then a roller-coaster ride of mobs and bosses.

Ungoro is also, imho, the best old-world zone design-wise. As mentioned, you can do the whole zone in two circuits, and it has plenty of quests that gel well with other zones, such as winterspring and felwood.

As for Cataclysm... I just got a reason to resub, in a year! I think it looks terrific. And I believe that, unless a better alternative presents itself (yeah right), they will probably recoup plenty old and burned-out players.

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: