Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:53:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 169869 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: December 11, 2009, 09:48:58 AM

What does interceptions being returned for TDs have to do with special teams?

Over and out.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #456 on: December 11, 2009, 10:28:57 AM

Yeah I don't think you can put this on the coaches, something happened in that locker room.  I mean they beat the Chargers and the Vikings before the bye, lost to the Bears and the Bengals (who dey!) they come off the bye and beat the Broncos in game two of their slump.  Then they loose to the Bengals again and it was very different from the first game, where Palmer had to miracle a 4th quarter win and needed some luck and help to do it.  The second Bengals v Steelers game we fucking roughed them up, we stomped on them and beat them at everything Pittsburgh is supposed to do better.  Fucking manhandled.  From that point on, they've lost every game.  Purely be being out motivated the way I see it.

Tomlin looked like he was holding back tears.  I don't put it on him or LaBeau I put it on Big Ben mostly and whoever else needed to be rallying the troops in that locker room.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:33 AM

Yeah, I don't know if Ben has any real leadership anymore in that locker room. I think Hines Ward's comments about him a couple weeks ago are possibly even more interesting now. (Even though Ward gave him crap for being 'injured' and then promptly got injured himself.)

beer geek.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:11 PM

And December continues for Dallas.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: December 13, 2009, 05:06:10 PM

Watching Dallas and Pittsburgh tank is like an early Christmas present. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: December 14, 2009, 06:27:36 AM

Except with Dallas it's more like a Hannukah present, because it always starts pretty early in December.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #461 on: December 14, 2009, 06:34:33 AM

Of course the repercussions of the Browns beating the Steelers means Cleveland will have Mangini back next year. How one game makes up for a full season of sucking is... well, only in Ohio.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #462 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:12 AM

Cleveland has sucked for years. Even the good years have been borderline sucky. I think Mangini's only failing this year was taking a coaching job in Cleveland. Everything after that was pretty much written in blood.

New Orleans at least made the Falcons' game interesting. Kudos to Mike Smith for making a game plan that Chris Redman could execute and have a chance to win with. Oh and for not having a stroke at the ticky-tack pass interference calls that were flying around. Of course, that's been kind of a theme this year. Pass interference is getting called for the cheapest bullshit. Not only can you not breathe on a QB in the pocket, you can't even look at a receiver in anger.

Watching the Cowboys blow a winnable game with missed field goals was loltastic, but the most satisfying part was seeing them fuck up a goal-line run FOUR STRAIGHT TIMES. You have no excuses if you can't punch Marion Barber into the endzone from a yard out with 4 downs. You just can't miss that.

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: December 14, 2009, 03:19:54 PM

What does interceptions being returned for TDs have to do with special teams?

I was so excited I got my forms of fail mixed up. That should be kickoffs returned for TDs. Or kick-offs returned for TDs. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: December 14, 2009, 03:29:50 PM

One of the interesting things about the Steelers is that, unlike other teams that have a similar history of success in a given sport and a ton of bandwagon fans (the Yankees, the Cowboys, Notre Dame, the Lakers), they don't have a huge number of people who ravenously hate them.  Except here, that is this guy looks legit  I'm having trouble thinking of another team like that.  Maybe the Celtics.

I mean, obviously there's hatred from fans of traditional rivals.  But there are millions of people who have nothing in the world to do with the Yankees who would root for Al-Qaeda if it was playing against the Bronx Bombers in the Series.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:12 PM

One of the interesting things about the Steelers is that, unlike other teams that have a similar history of success in a given sport and a ton of bandwagon fans (the Yankees, the Cowboys, Notre Dame, the Lakers), they don't have a huge number of people who ravenously hate them.  Except here, that is this guy looks legit  I'm having trouble thinking of another team like that.  Maybe the Celtics.

I mean, obviously there's hatred from fans of traditional rivals.  But there are millions of people who have nothing in the world to do with the Yankees who would root for Al-Qaeda if it was playing against the Bronx Bombers in the Series.

It is all about attitude of the team and the fans.

Dallas, the Lakers, and the Yankees and their fans all act like they shit fucking gold turds and are total cockgoblins towards anyone who says shit about their teams. Overall the Steelers are historically a working class team from a blue-collar town. Also, I have never noticed the sheer number of bandwagoners for the Steelers as I see for the other three.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: December 15, 2009, 05:24:25 AM

So does Arizona just lack focus? Because they played an awesome game against the Vikings and apparently turned around and played a shitty one against the 49'ers of all teams. It can't be talent because they have that.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #467 on: December 15, 2009, 06:09:19 AM

So does Arizona just lack focus? Because they played an awesome game against the Vikings and apparently turned around and played a shitty one against the 49'ers of all teams. It can't be talent because they have that.

Perhaps its another team that plays down (or up) to the competition's level.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #468 on: December 15, 2009, 11:50:19 AM

The 49ers D gives Warner a lot of problems. He threw 2 INTs in each game this season.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:06 AM

It will be interesting to see how Arizona does against Green Bay.  If Warner struggled with the DBs of the 49'ers, he'll have fits with the GB corners.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #470 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:10 PM

The 49ers are one of the few ballhawking teams out there in the West. They just gave the Cardinals fits with all the turnovers.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: December 19, 2009, 08:04:02 PM

Saints getting romped by the Cowboys...24-10, with about 8 minutes left in the 4th.

Saints just scored to make it 24-17 Cowboys.

Come on Brees.  Pull some magic out of the hat.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: December 19, 2009, 08:19:52 PM

I can't believe Folk missed that field goal (didn't this already happen against Washington?). If Brees goes down and forces overtime then wins I'm going to die laughing.

edit: Nope, no Brees magic tonight. At least they'll have that monkey off their backs going into the postseason.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:34:51 PM by Azuredream »

The Lord of the Land approaches..
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #473 on: December 20, 2009, 04:53:10 AM

Haha... Out of all of the teams to beat NO.

I've been sort of disgusted all year, but damn.. I guess I'm still a happy Dallas fan after all.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: December 20, 2009, 11:37:34 AM

Yep, oh well. that was fun while it lasted, but now they get to take their frustrations out on the Bucs and the Panthers.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #475 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:20 PM

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!!!  Heart

The game nobody thought we'd win, we did. Now watch us tank it against Washington.  ACK!

EDIT: If they don't fire Folk, I'd be shocked. Surgury or not, I don't want him kicking for the Cowboys in the playoffs if he can't kick a gameover 27 yarder. It's not the first time either. I'd take Elam right now over Folk, because I think he got a raw deal with the Falcons.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:40:10 PM by Paelos »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #476 on: December 20, 2009, 01:05:44 PM

They should pick up Louis Sakoda.  He came out of Utah last year and is a great kicker. He went up to Canada and did pretty well with the Rough Riders and is just sitting around right now.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: December 20, 2009, 04:38:56 PM

Bill Belichick's stunt has a lot of NFL coaches calling plays like frustrated 14 yr olds playing Madden. Tomlin onside kicking while up by 2 is just plain stupid.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:06 AM

I have no comment other than to say what a crazy, fucked up week of NFL games.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:30 AM

Yes, and all my fantasy players decided to suck ass this week.  Brees, Benson, Sidney Rice, Denver defense, the list goes on.  At the end of the regular season I was almost 250 points up on the second place team, and now I lose before even making the finals because everyone decided to suck at once.  Why couldn't Marshall have had one of the best WR fantasy games of all time this week instead of last week?  Facepalm Shaking fist

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #480 on: December 21, 2009, 08:01:02 AM

Bill Belichick's stunt has a lot of NFL coaches calling plays like frustrated 14 yr olds playing Madden. Tomlin onside kicking while up by 2 is just plain stupid.

And yet the motherfucking Packers STILL found a way to lose. What the hell, man?

Also, what the fuck happened to the Vikes? I didn't Tivo the game because I figured the Panthers would shit up the field with their defense and Matt Moore would get killed. Then I go and miss them losing again! FUCK.

The Cowboys winning was all on the fact that they didn't make any mistakes - other than not having a kicker worth a rat fuck. Maybe Folk can go join Mason Crosby on the shitheap. Fuckers. The Saints defense didn't stop Dallas enough, and the Dallas D was excellent for much of the night. Fucking New Orleans never committed to the run, and the normally weak Cowboys defensive backfield was just good enough.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #481 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:51 AM

That Vikings Panthers game was awful.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:23 AM

Panther's played a great defensive game. Receivers were constantly covered, AP was shut down, and Favre had Peppers in his face all night. I know the typical blame lies on Favre's shoulders, but this wasn't on him at all from what I saw especially considering he had no picks. He just didn't have anywhere to throw the ball other than away. And when he did, the receiver either dropped it or he had to tuck up because Peppers once again got past McKinnie.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #483 on: December 22, 2009, 04:02:22 AM

Nick Folk is usually solid. I hope they don't get rid of him. He's the least of their problems. Such as the... the coach, quarterback, offensive coordinator. I mean, basically everything that matters to a team is a clusterfuck with the Cowboys.

I still like the Cowboys as a rule.. but I'm not going to bullshit myself into thinking that beating NO actually means anything. It doesn't.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #484 on: December 22, 2009, 05:40:42 PM

Nick Folk is usually solid. I hope they don't get rid of him. He's the least of their problems. Such as the... the coach, quarterback, offensive coordinator. I mean, basically everything that matters to a team is a clusterfuck with the Cowboys.

I still like the Cowboys as a rule.. but I'm not going to bullshit myself into thinking that beating NO actually means anything. It doesn't.

He was solid last year. This year he's missed more FG's than anyone in the league. How many is that? TEN. You can basically count on him shanking one every single game he plays this season. I don't care if you were 100% in 2008 and won the Lou Groza award in college, you'll still get your ass cut if you go one season as the dead last kicker in the league.

Are we just supposed to wait for him to screw up in the last two games and cost us the playoff shot? The team rightly wasn't willing to take that chance. They cut him today in favor of Suisham, who was dumped by the 'Skins. People remember him screwing up in the NO game, but he's 18/21 on the season, so I like the addition.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #485 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:41 PM

Fair enough, but more important elements of the team deserve the rage. I guess that's what I'm saying. Hell, even the owner needs to go! But I digress.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #486 on: December 24, 2009, 08:40:49 AM

Actually, the way I look at it, the Cowboys special teams and pass defense have been the elements that cost them games. They are HORRIBLE against the screen pass, they are third most in the league in penalties, they have been missing regular FGs, they can't get any decent kick returns, and they are bad on kick coverage.

The only thing keeping them afloat is a top 5 offense and a stout rushing D.

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: December 24, 2009, 05:37:35 PM

Do you even watch football? Really? Romo is the problem with the Cowboys?  swamp poop
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: December 24, 2009, 05:46:53 PM

Actually, the way I look at it, the Cowboys special teams and pass defense have been the elements that cost them games. They are HORRIBLE against the screen pass, they are third most in the league in penalties, they have been missing regular FGs, they can't get any decent kick returns, and they are bad on kick coverage.

The only thing keeping them afloat is a top 5 offense and a stout rushing D.

The issue with the Cowboys is that their inside linebackers are pretty slow. Brooking has been really good, but he's still like 70 and not that fast. James is slow. Their safeties are iffy as well. Their corners are great, their d-line is top notch, and their outside linebackers are one of the better tandems in the league.

Penalties have been an issue for the Cowboys for quite a while now. They've been better in recent weeks, but it's not uncommon for double digit penalties. Even when Parcells, the hardass, were coaching here, we still weren't very good in that department. Getting rid of Flozell Adams in the offseason will help a lot in that department. He's a penalty magnet and just not good enough as an LT anymore to warrant sticking with him through that shit.

Buehler has made the Cowboys one of the better teams as far as opponent starting position on kickoffs in the league. McBriar is one of the best punters in the league. I'm not sure where the hate is warranted on any special teams unit besides the one that Nick Folk single-handedly fucked up, which is FGs, and we found our replacement a few days ago in Suisham.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:48:49 PM by Ozzu »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #489 on: December 25, 2009, 02:30:32 AM

Do you even watch football? Really? Romo is the problem with the Cowboys?  swamp poop

Romo isn't one of the elites, and I will accept no less for the Cowboys.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Things are different in Texas man. If you're merely good, you suck. If you're great, you're just OK.

Romo isn't the main problem though. Wade is. Mr-I just saw the worst fucking play in my entire life and I have no expression on my face-Wade. What kind of fucking coach does that? I'd rather not try to figure it out. Someone fire Gruden from ABC or something. Let him work in Texas instead. That's what we need. Someone who's pissed all the time. Err.. except we already had someone even better than that. Parcells.. Sadly, guys like Parcells or Gruden never work well with the Cowboys. Because of Jones. We're basically fucked on coaches, so I shouldn't even complain about it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: