Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 169856 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #385 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:17 PM

You don't pull that kind of bullshit in the NFL.

The Colts do except they look at Manning rather than the sidelines. What that guy is currently doing is on a completely different level that I don't think we've seen in the NFL. I don't know that enough people truly appreciate it.

Well his aw shucks demeanor makes you think he barely made it into Indy on a turnip truck. Then, he just owns you in face. He's got the voice, he's got the hard-count, and he's got the change at the line. The key for Peyton, though, is that he has the best play-action fake in the world. That's probably the most underrated part of his success.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:03 PM

You don't pull that kind of bullshit in the NFL.

The Colts do except they look at Manning rather than the sidelines. What that guy is currently doing is on a completely different level that I don't think we've seen in the NFL. I don't know that enough people truly appreciate it.

"I just run an out route and hope he throws it to me."

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #387 on: November 24, 2009, 11:21:32 PM

Quarterbacks used to call their own plays. If you are referring to his ability to read defenses I don't know if he's the best ever but he's certainly at a level beyond what most current QBs and offenses are capable of. He really is like a player-coach out there on the field.

On a semi-related note, NBC adding Tony Dungy to Sunday Night Football/Football Night in America was awesome. I've learned tons by listening to him/watching his breakdowns. Makes me wonder what the fuck all the other coaches turned pre-game/post-game show analysts have been doing all these years.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #388 on: November 24, 2009, 11:40:29 PM

Quarterbacks used to call their own plays.

That was a different era though. The schemes are much more complex these days. He is basically an offensive coordinator on the field given free reign. He also helps set up the defensive adjustments at halftime because he sits and watches the other offense when he is off the field.

I love that Mayne clip. Manning definitely has a good sense of humor about himself.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #389 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:17 PM

I agree that football is different now with its reliance on offensive and defensive coordinators as the game has gotten more complex. On the other hand Jim Kelly, while obviously not a contemporary of Peyton, played in this same environment and he called his own plays doing exactly what Peyton does which is to line up, read the defense, and audible the play so I still don't think Peyton is unique in what he's doing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #390 on: November 25, 2009, 10:15:05 AM

That and I honestly believe certain fans don't want black QBs to succeed in what they consider to be the last white-dominated skill position.

HEY RUSH, HOW YOU DOING?

Seriously, what the fuck are you thinking?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #391 on: November 25, 2009, 11:47:28 AM

I think you got that backwards; Rush would be one of those fans he's talking about.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #392 on: November 25, 2009, 12:27:46 PM

I used to love Favre's fakes with the Packers, I don't think he's selling it like that anymore.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #393 on: November 25, 2009, 06:46:39 PM

I think you got that backwards; Rush would be one of those fans he's talking about.

I think he missed my point as well.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: November 27, 2009, 08:19:14 AM

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:43:49 PM by sigil »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: November 27, 2009, 03:43:59 PM

So I got to watch (well, have it running behind me while I was working and turning to catch a few plays) the Packers and Lions yesterday because I was working. I don't own a TV so seeing any game takes an effort.

Was the first time I have watched Rodgers play a full game, and as a Packers fan, I liked what I saw. I will say that I can't for the life of me figure out how Bigby still plays for them. He lost them games with his stupid penalties years ago, and is still doing the same stupid shit.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: November 28, 2009, 06:34:01 AM

Aaron Rodgers has a HUGE upside.  I think he'll be a top 3 quarterback once he figures out his pocket issues.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: November 28, 2009, 04:11:16 PM

Aaron Rodgers has a HUGE upside.  I think he'll be a top 3 quarterback once he figures out his pocket issues gets an offensive line.

FIFY

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: November 29, 2009, 06:35:54 AM

Yeah, there are certainly issues with that line, but I still think he needs to develop better awareness, a better clock, and stop making some of the dumb plays he makes. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: November 29, 2009, 01:37:07 PM

Wow, Indy is such a great team.  They just don't get flustered.  They make corrections and put points on the board.  Of course, Manning does so many things almost to perfection.  No ones the perfect NFL player but he comes closest.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #400 on: November 30, 2009, 08:22:41 AM

Yeah, there are certainly issues with that line, but I still think he needs to develop better awareness, a better clock, and stop making some of the dumb plays he makes. 
Can't do that without a good line.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #401 on: November 30, 2009, 08:50:24 AM

Rodgers certainly has his issues, the main one being the tendency to hold onto the ball too long against good coverage. But again, if he had an O-line worth half a fuck, and he is golden.

Watched about a half of the Bears/Vikings game - what the fuck happened to the Bears? They don't run the ball at all, and Cutler is constantly running for his fucking life. Wasn't this a good O-line last year? And their defense is pretty crap too. Guess trading away the future for Cutler wasn't such a good idea after all. Maybe Orton really is better than everybody thought.

I was impressed by the Steelers backup Dixon last night. What happened to Charlie Batch? Why wasn't he starting? Not that they missed him, necessarily. I was a bit disappointed that Tomlin didn't let the kid try to make the first down on that 3rd down play late in the 4th after Baltimore tied the game. Either you try to win with the team you have, or just punt the fucking ball on 3rd down. But even with the INT that lost them the game, you still have to give the kid props. He made some good throws and good reads against a top NFL defense. I can see someone trying to sign him to start next year - maybe Carolina? And holy fuck, Carolina - I think Jake Delhomme's days as a starting QB in the NFL are sadly over.

I still have doubts about the Colts in the playoffs, both for their lack of running game, their banged up defense and their young recieving corps. But they are getting the shit done in the regular season.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:06 AM

Batch, I think, went down with a back injury in the same game that Rothlesberger went out with a concussion.  But yeah, Dixon looked pretty sharp.  Definately has some wheels on him.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:49 AM

Batch, I think, went down with a back injury in the same game that Rothlesberger went out with a concussion.  But yeah, Dixon looked pretty sharp.  Definately has some wheels on him.

Batch is out with a wrist injury that required surgery.   Dixon looked really good - the sorry excuse that is the Ravens secondary helps, but the kid showed some great speed and promise.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: November 30, 2009, 01:50:45 PM

So I got to watch (well, have it running behind me while I was working and turning to catch a few plays) the Packers and Lions yesterday because I was working. I don't own a TV so seeing any game takes an effort.

Was the first time I have watched Rodgers play a full game, and as a Packers fan, I liked what I saw. I will say that I can't for the life of me figure out how Bigby still plays for them. He lost them games with his stupid penalties years ago, and is still doing the same stupid shit.

Eh, the Lions defense will make any QB look all-pro. Brady Quinn put up huge numbers the week before, with an offense that struggles to tally a TD a game against any other squad…

Steelers seemed to handcuff Dixon too much — too many 3rd downs, they just gave up and ran the ball. Then all of a sudden in 4th quarter, expect him to run hurry-up and zone defense seemed to confuse him. Which Ravens smartly pocketed that trend for OT…

Game of the week (thus far, maybe tonight big matchup surpasses) was Vince Young v. Matt Leinart Rose Bowl Redux and VY going 99 yards, converting 3 4th downs, throwing from the pocket, and finishing with game winning TD pass with 0:00 left. And Chris Johnson, who did have another typical Chris Johnson performance (close to 200 YFS, 150 yards rushing), was almost invisible on that last drive, though he did do some blitz blocking…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: November 30, 2009, 02:11:04 PM

And Chris Johnson, who did have another typical Chris Johnson performance (close to 200 YFS, 150 yards rushing), was almost invisible on that last drive, though he did do some blitz blocking…

That's an incredibly important role for a RB.  It's just not as glamorous. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #406 on: November 30, 2009, 08:38:05 PM

WHO DAT?!?  awesome, for real

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: November 30, 2009, 09:33:01 PM

At this point, best team in the league. Sorry Peyton.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:54 PM

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: November 30, 2009, 09:56:03 PM

Looking at their remaining schedule, uh.. the Cowboys? Falcons? 16-0 looking downright easy.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: November 30, 2009, 10:01:56 PM

WHO DAT?!?  awesome, for real

A fellow traveler!?
It's been a looong time comin' but we look damn good at this point. McKenzie acted like he was glad to be home.

Lotta good football handegg yet to go this year.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #411 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:40 PM

At this point, best team in the league. Sorry Peyton.
I know who you meant but Sean Peyton is the head coach. awesome, for real

I also think the Vikings are better than the Colts at the moment.

Peyton (Manning, that is) still is my pick for MVP up to now, though.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: December 01, 2009, 03:39:16 AM

Saints are best team right now I agree.  I can't wait for the Indy/TN game next week. OMG.  I bet Bud Adams is driving Fisher crazy;  "I told ya VY can do it I told ya!"  Unfortunately, Peyton should shred the Titans weaksauce secondary.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:42 AM

Holy crap what a game.  Seemed like everytime the Saints O took the field Brees was going vertical. 

(Bourbon Street was insane last night.  Reminded me of Mardi Gras.  Havent been to sleep yet.  Time for bed.)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #414 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:57 AM

Fucking fantastic game unless you're a Pats fan. Yeah, Saints are hands down the best team in the league without any hesitation. Without Reggie Bush or Lance Moore, they still shredded that defense with impunity. That long TD to Henderson where the closest defender was 30 yards back upfield was just  awesome, for real

It's a 3-team league at the moment, and the Vikings are the only team that can maybe beat the Saints. I think the Colts are 11-0 because they are that much better than everyone else in the AFC that they've played, but I'm not sure they can beat either the Vikes or the Saints. The Vikes can shut their offense down, while the Saints can outshoot them. At this rate, if the Vikes play the Saints in the NFC championship game, that'll be a more interesting game than any Super Bowl matchup possible. The dark horse AFC team is the Chargers though - they've got the same strengths and problems that the Colts do, they just lost a few early games due to having no running game. But the Bolts are clicking on all cylinders now, so that will be an interesting matchup when/if it happens.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: December 01, 2009, 08:54:47 AM

I really thought the Pats were going to give them a game, so much so that it wasn't until the last hour before kickoff that I changed my pick to New Orleans.  But holy God, did they give them a a good old fashioned cornhole stomping.  What a thing of beauty.

The Vikings might be able to give them a game.  Only (I think) a team that can slow down that offense and put up big numbers of their own has a chance (other than the usual Any Given Sunday puncher's chance that all teams have).  Vikings are the only team that fit the mold.  I like both of those teams a lot, so I don't even know who I root for.

I know who I'm not rooting for, though, and that's the same tired old AFC that never seem to go away.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: December 06, 2009, 01:35:24 PM

Talk about Trap Game Day.  Good christ.  Saints are only maybe avoiding it because the Redskins are that bad.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:55:53 PM by JWIV »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: December 06, 2009, 02:44:12 PM

I cannot believe NO pulled that off.  No way Washington can lose that game, and somehow they managed it.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: December 06, 2009, 04:51:13 PM

Wow, Miami over NE; Oakland over Pittsburgh; NO over Wash; crazy-ass week!  This shit is exactly why I watch the NFL. 

My prediction was right as well;  Indy beat TN.  TN HAS to win out to get a wild card shot.  Probably just not gonna happen.
Oh and Tony Dungy is great on "Football Night in America", Rodney Harrison sucks.  Something about him makes me want to punch my TV.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #419 on: December 06, 2009, 05:49:52 PM

I went from despising the Raiders to loving them very quickly.  Fuck you Steelers.  Them not making the playoffs would be so sweet.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: