Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Auto Sports (F1, V8, Nascar) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Auto Sports (F1, V8, Nascar)  (Read 27925 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #70 on: February 15, 2010, 10:56:38 AM

And I am appalled by the lack of NASCAR in this thread.
Turning left every 200 yards is not racing.

rolleyes

I think you missed a bit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 15, 2010, 02:21:44 PM

It's racing, it's just that the spectacle is less about applying disciplined race driving to a car developed under rules designed to give a lot of latitude than it is about applying aggressive driving to a car developed under very strict controls. Nascar fans like spirited competition where drivers in relatively equal machinery will engage in the sort of behaviour likely to cause crashes. A driver who gives no quarter will garner more respect than one who is simply the fastest. I'm okay with that, but I prefer to see it on a technical circuit rather than an oval, so I'd rather watch DTM or BTCC than Nascar. It's always fun when Nascar visits Watkins Glen or Infineon Raceways though.

I think open mockery of drivers who skip the glen  and Infineon should be mandatory.

I grew up a fan of Indy car and hating Nascar. Living in Alabama made life hard.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #72 on: February 15, 2010, 03:48:55 PM

The Australian V8 Supercars series is the closest thing to NASCAR on a track with corners, that's pretty fun to watch.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 15, 2010, 04:23:52 PM

Well some good came out of all the money invested into KERS. Porsche has licensed Williams electric flywheel KERS system for the racing GT3. It will be race tested on the 14-15 May at the 24 Hours Nürburgring. Video of the new GT3 which Porsche has rebranded as Intelligent Performance.  I'm wondering how well this will work because it effectively transforms the GT3 into a 6-8 second 4wd system without the need for a prop-shaft or front end LSD. It will be a freaking monster on corner exits.

I'm just happy Williams got something back for the money invested. By-far their solution was better then any of the battery KERS systems of last year. Seems to be spinning at a lower RPM compared to the high end reports of the F1 system spinning ~100k RPM.

1 and 5 – Controller, 2- Front axle with electric motors, 3 – heavy duty power cable, 4 – flywheel. source
The flywheel generator itself is an electric motor with its rotor spinning at speeds of up to 40,000 rpm, storing energy mechanically as rotation energy. The flywheel generator is charged whenever the driver applies the brakes, with the two electric motors reversing their function on the front axle and acting themselves as generators. Then, whenever necessary, that is when accelerating out of a bend or when overtaking, the driver is able to call up extra energy from the charged flywheel generator, the fly-wheel being slowed down electromagnetically in the generator mode and thus sup-plying up to 120 kW to the two electric motors at the front from its kinetic energy. This additional power is available to the driver after each charge process for approximately 6 - 8 seconds.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:28:47 PM by fuser »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 02:59:58 PM

Seems to be spinning at a lower RPM compared to the high end reports of the F1 system spinning ~100k RPM.

It isn't in a microlight F1 car, so the gyro flywheel probably gets to weigh a hundred times as much. I'm sure that there was a lot of deal making to find a buyer of the Williams Hybrid Power technology, because it is only with this announcement that Williams formally agreed not to run KERS in F1 in 2010. Basically, all the F1 rule changes had to be agreed by all the teams, and Williams, having spent longer than anybody developing KERS had spent more money on it and had never used it in racing. The increase in minimum weight of an F1 car by 15kg for 2010 was designed to allow KERS with less weight penalty. The other manufacturers decided not to run their less efficient KERS systems before Williams had signed up for this year, so until they got the okay from Williams, forbidding KERS was just a proposed rule change. Until around half way through last month, Williams were still saying that they were going to run KERS in 2010 as was their right. That Williams had made a KERS system much better (and lighter) than the three battery systems used last year probably caused every other team to run to help Williams find a buyer for their technology.

In theory, you could use a flywheel regenerative system with an axis motor to help a car corner. That would be awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:01:34 PM by Righ »

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:20 PM

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 25, 2010, 03:25:49 PM

Nice. Third in class without a team is mighty impressive.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 29, 2010, 12:17:03 PM

F1 season to date looks a bit grim. Bahrain was a procession - I don't remember seeing any real overtaking. A couple of positions changed at the start, that was about it barring retirements. Thankfully there was some tricky rain at the start of the Australian race - a few teams tried different tactics but it was mostly the impatience of drivers that had them pushing hard to overtake even when it was unwise. However, if it had been a dry race, I think it would have ended up like Bahrain too. With no refuelling strategies to mix things up, I fear we're in for a boring season.

That said, I don't think Hamilton was right about being able to get a second place finish if he had stayed on the same tyres. By the time he overcame his poor starting position and fought his way up to third place, his tyres were looking even worse than Kubica's were and Kubica was unable to run close to the pace that Button was setting. His inability to get back in touch with Kubica after his tyre change had more to do with Alonso's constant tank-slappers coming out of every corner in the later stages of the race. Although it wasn't fast, weaving back and forth across the track at every corner is a good way to ensure that nobody passes. He made it look like a control problem, but it was Alonso, so it was probably cheating.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

More significantly, Button was supremely fast on tyres that he had nursed since lap 6. That's testament to Button's rare driving style - he is incredibly smooth on corners - not as fast as most of his peers on entry speeds, but he's in the apex for less time and is faster exiting. This was noted years ago when he first came to F1 - his style is natural and balanced - he favours using engine braking to slow and control the car and this led to him creating a head-scratcher for his team as he wore the tyres and brakes less and the top-end of the engine more. Most of his peers stamp on the brakes, let the car get squirrelly and then use their phenomenal reaction-times to control the slide. It's more interesting to watch Schumacher, Vettel or Hamilton do this, but they're chewing up their tyres as they do, and with no refuelling required, they're making sure that they need more pit stops than Button does. Everything else being equal, this would be Button's championship to lose.

The problem for Button comes with qualifying. If McLaren cannot consistently give him a car that can out-qualify his peers, then Button is forced to follow, and take the inevitable consequence of greater tyre wear from following in the dirty air of the leading cars. That, I fear, is the formula that we'll see for much of the rest of the season.

(Amusingly, Schumacher says he could have come third if it hadn't been for Alonso precipitating the incident in the first corner... perhaps so Michael, shame then that this year he's the guy in a Ferrari and likely to win all the steward inquiries... oh how ironic)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:18:50 PM by Righ »

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 29, 2010, 02:20:46 PM

Sorry to sirbruce but there's a lot to cover.

F1 season to date looks a bit grim. Bahrain was a procession - I don't remember seeing any real overtaking. A couple of positions changed at the start, that was about it barring retirements. Thankfully there was some tricky rain at the start of the Australian race - a few teams tried different tactics but it was mostly the impatience of drivers that had them pushing hard to overtake even when it was unwise. However, if it had been a dry race, I think it would have ended up like Bahrain too. With no refuelling strategies to mix things up, I fear we're in for a boring season.
What I don't get about the F1 hoopla over the Bahrain race everyone glossed over is the Bahrain track is horrible with very little overtaking possibilities. I was kinda surprised that the Mclaren's with their topline speed did so poorly. V8 supercars did their first race on the Bahrain track the weekend before the F1 race and it was freaking horrible also.

Although it wasn't fast, weaving back and forth across the track at every corner is a good way to ensure that nobody passes. He made it look like a control problem, but it was Alonso, so it was probably cheating.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ha, considering he did more of a run then Hamilton from midfield up, fought with Massa for a long while, and stayed on the same set of tires I'd assume it was control problems. Soon as Hamilton's tires were off he was all over the place and sloppy also which questions why they pulled him for a tire change and loss of position he could of easily defended his position for the rest of the race.  why so serious?

More significantly, Button was supremely fast on tyres that he had nursed since lap 6.
Where it was Massa, Hamilton(or was it Webber) and Alonso they we're doing 1.5s/lap faster then Kubica/Button and both Ferrari's were on lap ~8ish tires. I'm really surprised that Alonso wasn't let by Massa but it really shows the team letting the drivers fight it out as Massa held off Alonso for a podium finish getting him to wreck tires in the process of following in dirty air. We shall see as the season continues on but Massa was totally out driven by his team mate.

(Amusingly, Schumacher says he could have come third if it hadn't been for Alonso precipitating the incident in the first corner... perhaps so Michael, shame then that this year he's the guy in a Ferrari and likely to win all the steward inquiries... oh how ironic)
I have no idea what Schumacher was speaking to in this regard. What speaks volumes was Ferrari saying it was a "racing incident" after Alonso's car was tapped by Button, instead of whining like Schumacher. Watching Schumacher have trouble with midfield teams such as Sauber really tells me he's going to have tons of issues this year and should of stayed retired.

Summary this season is going to suck, the red bulls are crazy fast which is fueling a lot of rumors about skullduggery in ride hight adjustment. But this as per last season is whoever is out in the clean air is going to win the race as its the point where the car is most optimal on performance and easiest on tires which is the most important factor now. The FIA really has to force the teams to strip aero in 2011 (the double diffuser isn't enough).

This year it's shocking how bad the dirty air is effecting the cars.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:40 AM

If you watch some of the other series that race at Bahrain I think you will find the racing isn't boring at all. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 07:48:42 PM

Who's the boom king? Who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQL1ACRscOE

I'm the boom king. What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4CCWoF-DCU

Mike Conway is lucky to be alive. He's got multiple compound fractures in his leg along with some tendon damage. How many thousandths of a second did he and his safety cage miss being collected by Hunter-Reay? Was it even one thousandth?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #81 on: May 31, 2010, 12:09:14 AM

He's even more lucky that the wall didn't collect his head as no roll cage will save you from an airborne angle into the fence.  Scary, scary crash.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:19 AM

So the Turkish GP.
Who was at fault, Vettel or Webber?

Personally I think Webber gave him enough room and Seb, looking for a better line into the coming corner drove into him.
Many people argue that Seb was past Mark and Mark should have at that point moved over and given way because he was clearly beat.
On various F1 forums it seems to be 80/20 against Seb. just curious what you guys thought?

Professional Forum Lurker.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 02, 2010, 03:50:56 PM

Vettel was absolutely at fault. The pass is complete when the passing car makes it through the next corner in front. You can't simply take a line that lets you outbrake your opponent then expect your opponent to give you the part of the track you need to make it through the next corner. Boy would it be easy to pass if you just had to put a nose in front to claim rights to your choice of the line. I suspect Vettel wouldn't be claiming it as a viable criterion if Webber had just driven into him 'because he was in front and wanted that bit of road as was rightfully his'. Also, he's acting like a fucking juvenile twat and a spoiled prima donna with regards to this incident and his status within the team. Grow up Seb. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #84 on: June 03, 2010, 09:10:57 PM

Only in Utah would the highway patrol target the one World Superbike event on the continent of North America with an administrative checkpoint for "motorcycle safety."  ACK! ACK!

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15205702?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 11, 2010, 03:44:04 PM

So is anyone else looking forward to Le Mans this year?  It looks like Speed will be interrupting their 'all NASCAR all the time' schedule to provide 16 or so hours of coverage, with the night portion of the race being streamed on speedtv.com.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #86 on: June 11, 2010, 04:05:04 PM

Speed generally shows a lot of the race, which is nice.  I don't stay glued but I definitely check in during the weekend.  There's tons going on over the weekend this year, though.  Football, Le Mans, F1... what else?  I'm forgetting something!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #87 on: June 12, 2010, 02:51:49 PM

Geez.  Nelson Piquet, Jr now in Nascar Truck Series.  And, yet, Fernando Alonso gets a drive with Ferrari.  I'm a little surprised that Daddy couldn't buy him a better drive.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 13, 2010, 09:43:07 AM

RE:  Le Mans

Peugeot has gotta be disappointed - 3 works cars and 1 privateer with full factory support in LMP1 and not a single one finished the race, opening the doors for Audi to finish 1-2-3 - a whole lot of French money ended up as little more than stains on the track.  

If you weren't watching in the morning, you also missed watching the last factory Peugeot basically bully the last Corvette Racing car into the wall at about 100 mph while frantically trying to catch the lead Audi.  The Corvette garage managed to completely replace the entire rear end of the car in what seemed like 30 minutes - easily the most memorable moment of the race.  Tragically, their effort was all for naught when the same car had it's engine die due to piston failure (similar to the failure that had already claimed the other GT2 'Vette) shortly after.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:52:55 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #89 on: June 13, 2010, 11:41:31 AM

RE:  Le Mans

Peugeot has gotta be disappointed - 3 works cars and 1 privateer with full factory support in LMP1 and not a single one finished the race, opening the doors for Audi to finish 1-2-3 - a whole lot of French money ended up as little more than stains on the track.  

If you weren't watching in the morning, you also missed watching the last factory Peugeot basically bully the last Corvette Racing car into the wall at about 100 mph while frantically trying to catch the lead Audi.  The Corvette garage managed to completely replace the entire rear end of the car in what seemed like 30 minutes - easily the most memorable moment of the race.  Tragically, their effort was all for naught when the same car had it's engine die due to piston failure (similar to the failure that had already claimed the other GT2 'Vette) shortly after.

I don't see the fault of the Peugeot there, the Corvette as the slower car should have let him pass. The Corvette pilot was too late on the brakes and paid for it.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 13, 2010, 07:06:35 PM

Geez.  Nelson Piquet, Jr now in Nascar Truck Series.  And, yet, Fernando Alonso gets a drive with Ferrari.  I'm a little surprised that Daddy couldn't buy him a better drive.

The difference is that Fred is a great driver.
I know many people here don't like him but the guy is good. One of, if not the best, drivers today.

Oh and an absolutely great race today. Montreal should have never been pulled off the calendar. 

Professional Forum Lurker.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 06:15:10 AM

I'm not saying anything about the calibre of his driving.  It's the whole irony thing, I guess.  He's been caught misbehaving in two separate incidents.  I think he's a great driver, too, though certainly not the best in my opinion.  I just he might not be a good person.  He cheats.  Maybe that's why Ferrari are so happy to have him.  Nelson Piquet Jr's father was a great driver.  Maybe he'll buy Jr a team if no one will hire him for a better sort of racing.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Auto Sports (F1, V8, Nascar)  
Jump to: