Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al.  (Read 100829 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: June 29, 2010, 12:54:19 AM

A while back I said that the hope for worldy MMOs was Facebook. Frontierville is just about there.

Frontierville is about as "worldy" as an IRC channel.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #141 on: June 29, 2010, 10:23:09 AM

You and I clearly have different opinions of what makes a game "worldy"...
Obo
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 08, 2010, 12:40:38 PM

Probably wouldn't be noticed in the graveyard.
Playdom acquires Metaplace
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:06 PM

Warstorm needs to change Dragons.  Flight+Special+Good Damage makes them highly unbalanced.  If you can't hit a flying creature, the damage should pass through to moral.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 21, 2010, 06:43:32 PM

Linked from slashdot and I liked the concept of a game satirising FB games.. Had a look around but didn't see it

Cow-clicker. You click a cow, sometime later you click a cow again. You can even pay to have your cow auto-clicked or convince your friends to click it.

There's also some wordy philosophizing which seems to be working towards some moderately interesting points.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 28, 2010, 12:26:23 PM

Probably wouldn't be noticed in the graveyard.
Playdom acquires Metaplace

Disney just outright purchased Playdom for 1/2 a Billion USD.  Yes... $500,000,000 dollars.  For a facebook game dev. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: July 28, 2010, 08:40:05 PM

Yea, Raph played this one well.

Warstorm needs to change Dragons.  Flight+Special+Good Damage makes them highly unbalanced.  If you can't hit a flying creature, the damage should pass through to moral.
That makes flight useless.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 31, 2010, 01:21:14 PM

Well, right now flight is hideously overpowered.

My idea doesn't make it useless so much as drastically change the dynamics.  It would mean creatures cannot nullify almost all incoming damage, but they still wouldn't get killed either.  It's not really a change that can be made now that the cards exist, but it would make these cards more of a tactical choice than an "I win".

Maybe that's not so much the case when one all-flight Dragon deck fights another.  As someone without one though, it made me want a resign button so I didn't have to bother sitting through a battle I knew was lost.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:34 AM

A direct damage, recycling, speed deck is better than a dragon deck.  Dragons take too long to get out, so if you can get a good draw initially you can win most times.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: August 01, 2010, 01:48:49 PM

I can't.  At least not with my preferred decks.  One dragon gets out and I'm pretty much done for because it just starts eating my cards, which gives them time to get the others out.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #150 on: August 02, 2010, 07:53:18 PM

(Apologies for not slogging through this entire thread from post 1)

I have some nerdy friends that like to play boardgames. Unfortunately, they're moving to disparate parts of the world (Libya, Uzbekistan, and Nepal if you must know) so continuing to do so may be difficult. Ideally, there are some decently-built but fairly simple games to be played through facebook (for ease of connectivity). Not looking for anything crazy complex; use something like Catan as the baseline.

Any ideas? Yes, I could slog through shitty app after shitty app, but simply asking someone who may already know is always easier.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: August 03, 2010, 05:22:52 PM

Play your boardgames online.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #152 on: August 03, 2010, 05:31:51 PM

If you can get together online, then something like http://www.vassalengine.org/ is what you want.

Not sure the best solution if you can't make the time zone differences work, some turn-based games still can do hot seat multiplayer things where you email the save game file around and such, but that's pretty clunky.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #153 on: August 04, 2010, 07:07:44 AM

If you can get together online, then something like http://www.vassalengine.org/ is what you want.

Not sure the best solution if you can't make the time zone differences work, some turn-based games still can do hot seat multiplayer things where you email the save game file around and such, but that's pretty clunky.
omgomgomgomgomgomg
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: August 04, 2010, 12:07:10 PM

LE GASP. Talisman Online. So close, yet so far away! Still, that is amazing.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #155 on: August 04, 2010, 03:42:59 PM

...I thought everyone knew about Vassal!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 07, 2010, 06:17:54 PM

WestWars

By Innogames, the same folks who brought us "The West."

edited to add: I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add friends.  It's either NoScript or my lack of expertise with a Macbook or both.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:19:47 PM by Xanthippe »
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: August 23, 2010, 01:49:05 PM

Didn't see this added itt - so thought I'd stick it here:

Vikings of Thule

Terrible like most other FB games, but I dig Vikings, so I'm addicted. It's pretty new, so there isn't even really a newb guide. Forums say they plan to have one in the next month or two.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Xbox live: trotski44
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: October 07, 2010, 12:41:40 PM

Farmville now has commercials! 

I went to McDonald's farm today, and got some kind of McDonald's balloon or something.

I wonder how much McDonald's paid Zynga for this.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #159 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:59 AM

Yeah, that was fun.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Grimwell
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:46 AM

Little Cave Hero has 8bit goodness.  I love the loopy music (but I have to mute it because the people I live with don't) and the artwork. 
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: May 15, 2012, 07:08:08 AM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al.  
Jump to: