Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My Top Warcraft Wants 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Top Warcraft Wants  (Read 41627 times)
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 06:29:52 AM

Only some of the race/class restrictions have to do with lore.  There was a hard coded restriction on how many classes a particular race could be associated with.  Blizzard stated that the reason blood elves couldn't be warriors had nothing to do with lore and everything to do with that coding limitation.

That's horseshit and we all know it, I imagine even you know it.
I went to ol' cardplace's bluetracker because I swear I read a blue say that and I think it was some time during Wrath beta, only to find this

I've closed the thread so the horse that is dust doesn't add more pollution to the air as it's beat.

Simply put, we had to make a choice about how many classes both the Blood Elf and Draenei could take. To keep class choices balanced, we had to exclude the Warrior class as a choice from the Blood Elves and felt it was the one that didn't fit in with the race as well as the rest. Some would debate this, but this is what we have now and how it's going to remain.

Their justification was not 'lore' but balance.  I don't know if that's better or worse.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 11, 2009, 06:37:49 AM

- Slow flying mounts speed bonus increased to 150% (currently 60%)

Best change.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 08:22:15 AM

- Slow flying mounts speed bonus increased to 150% (currently 60%)

Best change.

yes Yes YEs YES YES!

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:57 AM

I'll have what he's having.

Over and out.
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:20 AM

If we're going that route, goblins, naga, worgen, dryads, harpies, and probably a dozen others I've forgotten.  It's annoying to be in a fantasy world and always restricted to basic humanoids.  (Yeah, I know.  Visible gear makes it a headache the more races you have.)

Tell me a Warrior Ogre would not freaking kick ass?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And I want some sort of demon class, like the doomguard (summonable lock pet, they are also in the hellfire green swamp). Yeah...
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: June 11, 2009, 08:59:12 AM

And I want some sort of demon class, like the doomguard (summonable lock pet, they are also in the hellfire green swamp). Yeah...

...that could summon gnomes.  Mean ferocious gnomes.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 11, 2009, 09:16:43 AM

1: Appearance Tab
Don't tell me it'll never happen, I don't care, this is my want-list, I can want a laserpony if I like, doesn't mean I ever expect to receive one. Whatever the pros and cons you can fling at the suggestion's practicality, the simple matter is it'd let people be a hell of a lot more individual in appearance than they currently can be.

2: Housing
C'mon - Dark Age of Camelot managed this practically 7 years ago now, and there wasn't much wrong with their implementation - certainly nothing that WoW couldn't better with mounts being available so you can locate your dwellings quicker. I'd just love to have that feeling of guild community back again that I had in that game, where a whole bunch of us would buy up a couple of plots together, work on a guild house and out-do each other's gardens. City of Heroes' base-system is now unparalled in terms of MMO player-space customisation, though the costs to do so on an individual scale are still sadly prohibitive.

3: Faster ground-mounts
100% speed is all well and good for the bought mounts - it offers a significant boost from the 60% speeders and gets you going. Great that the level restriction has now come down to 40. But it's still relatively slow compared to what the engine can handle, considering the flying mounts can more than triple that speed. So how's about upping the rare mount/drop mount speeds to 150%? Give us a bigger incentive to beat Baron Rivendare, to unlock Anzu, to farm Zul'Gurub.

4: More Player Races
Ok, so this might, might be answered in the coming expansion, be it Maelstrom or Emerald Dream depending on your bets; but the simple fact is there's now far, far too many cool races in the game that we can't be. From Worgen to Tuskarr, Ethereals to Goblins, even Dryads and Naga, however unlikely they might be in terms of non-bipedal practicality and however likely they might be when it comes to the expansions, no player is immune from meeting a race they'd want to play.

5: Lore for the Masses
My main is a Priest. More specifically, a Shadow Priest. Quite possibly the least represented class/spec in the entire game, lore wise. Priests are just 'there', representations of a faith. Shadowpriests aren't even spoken about in hushed breath. We're like the wind. Which is, in its own way, a pleasant enigma - it's just one that'd be nice to be able to solve some time. On a personal level I see my Priest as untied to a faith and practical minded - more akin to Terry Pratchett's Witches. There's belief there, but Faith is a strong word. I have the power to move pain around (think Ben Hawkins from Carnivale), borrow minds and show those in need the way.
Warriors are also pretty passed over although for the most part they wear their lore on their sleeves. And their breastplates. And dripping off the ends of their weapons.

6: Quest Instances
If I'm being forced to hit up an instance to complete a quest chain, for all that's good and holy let me do it without being dependent on finding people to do it with me or hold my hand. When I enter an instanced dungeon, allow me to choose 'Quest' or 'Group' - the former reduces all mobs to non-elite status and removes 75% of them but also removes the top-end loot table for the instance, the latter keeps things as they currently are. I can choose to do the quests as a group and reap group rewards, or I can settle things myself in my own time and convenience.

7: Toggle Shoulderpads on/off
Seriously, Blizzard. Fuck off with the tomato vines, the picket fences, the lumps of space debris, the ten foot tall giant golden rods, the massive flaming faces, the angel wings sprites (sprites! You wankers !). Let me turn that ridiculous shit off. I cannot conceive how cloaks can cause more player offence.

8: A Laserpony
Look, I said I fucking wanted one, didn't I?

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24:52 AM

What is a laserpony?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 11, 2009, 09:25:14 AM

Speaking of old instances...

So blizzard spent $%&* tons of time developing say Molten Core and Black Temple only to now see them be ghost towns. Would it not make sense to do "something" to make all that development, art and creativity be more utlized?

Why not add a /80 switch to make some of the more epic raids "on level" and tweak the stats of the items ALREADY in those database tables a little more usable? The gear does not have to be as good as Ulduar 22x level gear, but you could certainly add some logic to /80 BT which would add X% to the boss stats/level and then have them drop level 200 NAX 10 equivilent gear.

Take it a step further and then have a few NPCs that would take the badges from these older instances and convert them to emblems of heroism or valour (or any future level emblems) on a X for 1 ratio (2,5,10 whatever is balanced).

So what am I missing here?

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 11, 2009, 09:36:45 AM

What is a laserpony?

You don't need to know what it is to want one.

It's a pony. Made out of lasers. Laserpony. Laser. Pony.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 11, 2009, 12:28:28 PM

So what am I missing here?

Not much.  Chances are more work goes into the random fluff outside the instance with the more modern patches than the instance.  You could probably build instances on a monthly basis if they weren't committed to justifying it's existence beyond "Look, loot!"
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 11, 2009, 01:54:07 PM

IIRC there was some community outcry when WotLK launched with only a recylcled raid. Naxx wasn't that bad since many of us hadn't even been inside at 60; but 90% of the players I know farmed MC to hell and back. I never want to set foot in that zone again, and would rather Blizz focus their development time on NEW content, rather than rehash old content. I understand that you think it would be very easy for them to do so, but I counter that it would still take some time, and I would rather that time be spent elsewhere, even if it would not result in the same quantity of content being made available.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 11, 2009, 02:02:12 PM

IIRC there was some community outcry when WotLK launched with only a recylcled raid.
The bleeding edge were mad because they had done Naxx when it was a 40 man, which required MC and then BWL being farmed to hell and back for gear to even think about setting foot inside.  Most of us were never that good years ago, so Naxx was essentially new to over 95% of the population.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 11, 2009, 02:06:52 PM

I have one simple want and that's a Warlock specific flying mount.  Have the felsteed, have the dreadsteed, now I want a fucking winged demon minion to call my own.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 11, 2009, 02:11:43 PM

You got her at 20.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 11, 2009, 02:33:40 PM

From Worgen to Tuskarr, Ethereals to Goblins, even Dryads and Naga
Say it with me, all.

Pandas.

Pandas.

Paaaaaaaaandaaaaaaaaaas.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 11, 2009, 02:59:03 PM

You got her at 20.

A good point and well made. Now make her fly dammit.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #87 on: June 11, 2009, 06:27:55 PM

I have one simple want and that's a Warlock specific flying mount.  Have the felsteed, have the dreadsteed, now I want a fucking winged demon minion to call my own.

I wouldn't mind getting one for my paladin for the same reason.

God Save the Horn Players
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #88 on: June 11, 2009, 06:38:24 PM

amending list to just want a laserpony
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 06:49:48 PM

Not much.  Chances are more work goes into the random fluff outside the instance with the more modern patches than the instance.  You could probably build instances on a monthly basis if they weren't committed to justifying its existence beyond "Look, loot!"
Are you saying this is a bad thing?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 11, 2009, 09:23:32 PM

Speaking of old instances...

So blizzard spent $%&* tons of time developing say Molten Core

I lol'd.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:51 PM

Not much.  Chances are more work goes into the random fluff outside the instance with the more modern patches than the instance.  You could probably build instances on a monthly basis if they weren't committed to justifying its existence beyond "Look, loot!"
Are you saying this is a bad thing?

Which?  Blizzard churning out "look, loot!" instances, or (what they are currently doing) and including terrible dailies, a bunch of new shitty looking weaponry to mudflate tradeskills and heroics, and going off on weird tangents with their own lore?

Because at this point I really don't need any more dailies.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #92 on: June 12, 2009, 12:37:08 AM

Instances require an absolute fuckton of art time, is my understanding.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 12, 2009, 04:17:27 AM

Instances require an absolute fuckton of art time, is my understanding.

Except you don't actually need to make new art for every single instance.  If they doing it at all correctly they will have all the major rooms and hallways on their interior sets broken down into a bunch of small chunks which are sized and shaped so that they can be recombined in a number of different configurations, so that each set could technically be used to create a number of instances.  If I had a working version of the model viewer I'd actually check it, but assuming that this is the case the walls, floor, and ceiling of a dungeon like Scholomance could easily be less than a hour long job to actually assemble with things like tables, chairs, books, and other clutter scattered around taking up the rest of the work day.  People would bitch that it looks like Scholomance / Maraudon / Shadowfang Keep, but then you could realistically have a fresh new instance out every month, without requiring any time from the model and texture artists (who can work on the next big project).
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: June 12, 2009, 07:12:27 AM

You got her at 20.

LOL I will have to mount her and see what happens  ACK!
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 12, 2009, 07:22:28 AM

Class specif mounts for all would be really nice... in addition to standard ones that anyone can have.

Warlock - As mentioned, some form of flying hell spawn demon to ride (or maybe a mean looking gargoyle)

Mage - An energy infused falcon or something along the lines of a phoenix

Paladin - A form of angelic golden winged and armored noble griffon

Priest - Similar to paladin but more flowing, tapered and sleek. Less rugged and more majestic

Rogue - A large jet black cross between a snake and a large raven

Deathknight - some epic looking bone dragon (I know they have one but it looks puny)

Warrior - heavily armored, slow animation (same speed just look lumbering) war hawk

Shaman - I see this one as more colorful, like a cross between a teradactyl and tucan sam   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Druid - new flight form that is more... epic. Full blown large eagle!

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #96 on: June 12, 2009, 10:45:02 AM

My ret pally says to tell you he wants an armor-plated black pegasus.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:29 AM

You got her at 20.
LOL I will have to mount her and see what happens  ACK!
Have you ever flirted with or blown her a kiss? DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 12, 2009, 03:29:23 PM

If they doing it at all correctly they will have all the major rooms and hallways on their interior sets broken down into a bunch of small chunks which are sized and shaped so that they can be recombined in a number of different configurations

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Think of all the weird bugs that crop up each patch with no particular rhyme or reason, things that make no sense whatsoever.  Each one is another indication that WoW is held together with baling wire and spit.  Anything they change can, and often does, break other shit.  Even little stuff like orc shoulders suddenly getting incredibly small after one patch.  I mean, come on.  How does that HAPPEN?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

We're lucky instances that were made 4+ years ago still work, frankly.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 12, 2009, 05:01:21 PM

My ret pally says to tell you he wants an armor-plated black pegasus.
My DK wants a skeletal war griffon.
Oh, wait....  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 12, 2009, 05:54:00 PM

I doubt WoW dungeons are built with prefabs. Some things, like candeliers and such props, are prefabs but not the overall geometry. They're far too irregular to make that worthwhile. Naturally there's a fair bit of copy and paste, but the end result isn't a structure of prefabs. They're stored as homogenous meshes, which can be seen if you open one with a model viewer. My bet is that they're completely hand-modelled and textured, then imported, then decorated with doodads, clipping walls and doors using their in-house tools. It gives them maximum artistic flexibility.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #101 on: June 12, 2009, 05:55:59 PM

I think that's also what makes them cool in a lot of ways. I'd rather just run Utgarde Pinnacle three times, with all the custom work, etc,. than run cityofheroes_warehouse layouts 1 to 3 once each.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 12, 2009, 05:58:09 PM

Exactly. Prefabs look like prefabs, i.e. horrible. Humans are too damn good at finding patterns.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #103 on: June 12, 2009, 06:02:49 PM

Another thing I would like is the return of the Karazhan-like rep/quest stuff. You're going to run those instances a billion times anyway, I liked having a quest series and rep to go with it. It's not something hugely important, but I liked it. It's the only kind of rep grind I don't mind at all.

God Save the Horn Players
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 12, 2009, 06:05:10 PM

Class specif mounts for all would be really nice... in addition to standard ones that anyone can have.

Warlock - As mentioned, some form of flying hell spawn demon to ride (or maybe a mean looking gargoyle)

Mage - An energy infused falcon or something along the lines of a phoenix

Paladin - A form of angelic golden winged and armored noble griffon

Priest - Similar to paladin but more flowing, tapered and sleek. Less rugged and more majestic

Rogue - A large jet black cross between a snake and a large raven

Deathknight - some epic looking bone dragon (I know they have one but it looks puny)

Warrior - heavily armored, slow animation (same speed just look lumbering) war hawk

Shaman - I see this one as more colorful, like a cross between a teradactyl and tucan sam   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Druid - new flight form that is more... epic. Full blown large eagle!

Hunter - Catchable mounts - The ability to ride any of our pets, to include the flying ones like vultures and wyverns and stuff.

I still want to be able to tame a war giraffe! Those Barrens giraffes would kick face!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My Top Warcraft Wants  
Jump to: