Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 10:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1117203 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5320 on: March 23, 2015, 01:33:22 PM

And yes, that is a steel wall in a WTF-100  awesome, for real

Proof that there are terrible fucking players in high tiers too.

Great game btw.  5600 damage... what is that, 2 clips?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #5321 on: March 23, 2015, 02:03:33 PM

Roughly  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5322 on: April 13, 2015, 03:11:00 PM

Perfect gif to describe the 5x weekend.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5323 on: April 13, 2015, 06:51:44 PM

Heh, I like this one

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #5324 on: April 14, 2015, 11:11:27 AM

The worst part about them is that they are SO SURE they know everything about the game, and that any advice must be loudly and roundly ignored. It is why I keep turning blue.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5325 on: April 14, 2015, 12:41:51 PM

I've probably said it before, but I find that thinking of your team mates in PUB battles as badly programmed AI is the best way to go.  Don't waste your time talking to the AI, don't expect the AI to be tactically aware or to understand game mechanics and you won't be disappointed.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5326 on: April 23, 2015, 03:53:56 PM

Not really WoT related and I don't know if this is new news or not but you can gain access to the World of Warships CBT by purchasing one of the pre-order packages.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5327 on: April 23, 2015, 05:38:05 PM

Ya, saw that yesterday. Wondered what people who have played that think about the deal/ships being offered.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5328 on: April 23, 2015, 06:21:10 PM

All three of the ships offered are decent.  I've been in since alpha and think the game is good enough that I bought the 3 ship bundle.

If I was going to buy one it would be the tier 7 US destroyer, mostly because I really like playing US destroyers but also because it will be an effective captain trainer.  Like most US destroyers the guns are fantastic, the torpedoes not so much.

The Soviet destroyer is good, kind of a nautical KV1 but the Soviet line is a ways out so its crew training utility is low. 

The Yubari is the lowest tier of the three and it is a killer AA ship for its tier, but it takes some finesse to play well since it is fragile and somewhat under armed. 

All three earn well, but since they are still fiddling with the economy it's hard to see right now how well they do once the game goes live.  Also, unlike the WoT pre-order tanks, these will only be exclusive for a year.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5329 on: April 27, 2015, 11:26:33 AM

I am already in the beta (but haven't played yet), but I pulled the trigger on the 3 ship pack over the weekend. I have played enough to know I like it, so it seemed like the thing to do.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5330 on: April 27, 2015, 11:29:41 AM

I've been in WoWS for a while and fear that it will end up like WoWP.  With aim assist, I don't see the game surviving long.

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5331 on: April 27, 2015, 02:47:11 PM

I've been in WoWS for a while and fear that it will end up like WoWP.  With aim assist, I don't see the game surviving long.

I got the 3 ship deal and have been playing a few days. It's a slower paced game but it's still plenty of fun. I was hesitant to pull the trigger because I still feel burnt from the WoWP presale.

That having been said, the reason WoWP died were because it was unfun, controls were impossible to configure, and all the planes at all tiers I played handled like pregnant cows. And that's judging it entirely on it's own. When it's compared to War Thunder's plane game I don't know why they even bothered.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5332 on: April 27, 2015, 05:54:24 PM

I knew WoWP was shit in alpha and the last minute beta changes didn't help it so I didn't bother with a pre-order for it.  It managed the rare double feature of pissing off both the sim gamers and the arcade guys.

I don't think ships will be the runaway success that WoT was but I do believe that due to the slower pace of play and the at least superficial similarity between driving a ship and driving a tank it will get and retain more crossover players from WoT than WoWP did.  Plus it is close enough in many respects that the naval sim players will probably play, bitching the whole time about reality, but play it because it's the only game in town.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5333 on: April 27, 2015, 06:06:15 PM

Perhaps it's just me.  I really enjoyed the game until I started playing tier 6.  The game changes pretty significantly and the flaws in the maps/game objectives get magnified at higher levels.  That's really where my concerns lie.

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5334 on: April 27, 2015, 07:16:26 PM

Perhaps it's just me.  I really enjoyed the game until I started playing tier 6.  The game changes pretty significantly and the flaws in the maps/game objectives get magnified at higher levels.  That's really where my concerns lie.

That's a valid concern. I'm not that far into it so I don't have a frame of reference, but that's about the point where I stopped enjoying most of the tank lines. Then at tier 8 and above grinding to the next tank seemed more and more unbearable. I can barely stand to play for half an hour at a stretch. It's just all grindy, all of the time. And when I do manage to enjoy a game, I remember how many unbought tier 10 tanks I have and how long it will take to grind silver to buy them. I hope this doesn't suffer a similar fate.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5335 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:26 PM

I have just started setting little goals for myself- buy this tank, elite that tank, do this mission, etc. And I try to play as well as I can in every game....if I find myself hurrying ahead or being impatient or stupid I stop playing.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5336 on: April 27, 2015, 08:45:57 PM

I have just started setting little goals for myself- buy this tank, elite that tank, do this mission, etc. And I try to play as well as I can in every game....if I find myself hurrying ahead or being impatient or stupid I stop playing.

I eventually stopped grinding in WoT and just played the tanks in my garage that I had fun with, but even that got old eventually so now I log in for the daily mission thing that will eventually award me an SU100y but otherwise I play other games during what used to be WoT time.  I like WoWs but so far I don't feel compelled to grind anything.  I play a few matches during the day and a few with friends at night and don't play the lines I don't like.  So I mostly run my US destroyers and the US Cruiser line currently I'm at tier 7 on both.  I break things up with the Soviet premium destroyer from time to time.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5337 on: April 28, 2015, 09:15:02 AM

I really, really enjoy WoWS maybe even more than WoT.  That being said, I feel Nebu is right.  Lower tiers are really fun, and fairly well balanced for the most part; but the higher tiers have issues.  This is a beta, so there is still time for changes, which it needs. 

1) Torpedo acquisition range needs adjusted.  I read that there was a change to this in the most recent micro-patch, but I haven't played enough since then to judge.  Ships that do not have planes nearby are able to see torpedoes too early. 

2) High Tier AA is too powerful or High Tier planes are too weak.  Most likely high tier planes need their health pool adjusted up slightly.  Planes were historically the nemesis of Battleships... high tier in WoWS, forget it.  The Yamato can defend itself just fine without cruiser support. 

I have a tremendous amount of fun with the game and hope they continue to adjust it and fine tune. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5338 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:43 AM

The problem I have with WoWS is I don't see a long term continual improvement in my personal skill level. With WoT I always have something I can practice and get better at. This keeps me coming back and I think leads to higher population in game overall. This creates better match making and general public excitement for the game. Even if you love WoWP you have to be turned off by the low numbers playing. They can't even allow 3 person groups in WoWP anymore because is not enough of them to be countered every game by another group on other side and that resulted in an unfair advantage.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5339 on: April 28, 2015, 10:23:31 AM

The strength/weakness I see with WoWS is that it's based far more on team play than individual skill than WoT.  I think that clan battles will be very interesting in WoWS, but randoms will become a frustrating experience as victory depends even more heavily on team tactics.  Also, like we are starting to see in WoT, CHAI snipers will be rewarded for using their teammates as fodder rather than putting themselves at risk for objectves.  The potential for player toxicity is pretty high as a result.

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5340 on: April 28, 2015, 01:47:56 PM

The strength/weakness I see with WoWS is that it's based far more on team play than individual skill than WoT.  I think that clan battles will be very interesting in WoWS, but randoms will become a frustrating experience as victory depends even more heavily on team tactics.  Also, like we are starting to see in WoT, CHAI snipers will be rewarded for using their teammates as fodder rather than putting themselves at risk for objectves.  The potential for player toxicity is pretty high as a result.

At tier 2 it's already fleetblob focus fire. Everyone swarms up, picks off stragglers, and then hit each other. It sort of reminds me of Emain Macha.

I had to look up what 'CHAI snipers' are. Imagine my surprise when it's exactly one of the things you defended as a hallmark of a top level player engaging in strategic and tactical metagaming when I said it wasn't anything but stat padding by egotistical clan assholes using their team as shields and to grind down the enemy tanks to one shot kill status so they could clean up afterwards with an undamaged tank.

The truly sad thing is these people are now showing up in droves in the War Thunder tank game. Not only does it not work there at all, but if more than one or two people on a team do it their team pretty much auto loses.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5341 on: April 28, 2015, 03:05:01 PM

I had to look up what 'CHAI snipers' are. Imagine my surprise when it's exactly one of the things you defended as a hallmark of a top level player engaging in strategic and tactical metagaming when I said it wasn't anything but stat padding by egotistical clan assholes using their team as shields and to grind down the enemy tanks to one shot kill status so they could clean up afterwards with an undamaged tank.

There's a HUGE difference between staying alive by using good damage exchanges and hiding in the back corner of a map farming pointless damage.  Stop being so pedantic and petty.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5342 on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:52 PM

Except bob was never in about good damage exchanges. He was always bitching about the exact model of play you just derided. He just happened to think only the top rated players did it.

The wows game attracts me even less than wowp did.  I dunno, I guess ships just aren't my thing. Tanks are cool ships aren't unless they're 18th century brawlers.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5343 on: April 28, 2015, 03:26:45 PM

If you want Age of Sail MP stuff, check out Naval Action. Still in alpha or very early beta, but looks promising. I may have mentioned it before, so apologies if I am repeating myself.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5344 on: April 29, 2015, 11:00:12 PM

If you want Age of Sail MP stuff, check out Naval Action. Still in alpha or very early beta, but looks promising. I may have mentioned it before, so apologies if I am repeating myself.

All I see is a Schooner...

WayAbvPar

Reply #5345 on: April 30, 2015, 12:38:26 PM

All I see is a Schooner...

Hahaha you dumb bastard. It's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.

In other dumb bastard news, I pled with my team not to go valley on Lakeville. This is how that turned out-

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5346 on: April 30, 2015, 02:32:38 PM

In other dumb bastard news, I pled with my team not to go valley on Lakeville. This is how that turned out-

That would have been better if it was encounter.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #5347 on: April 30, 2015, 03:34:53 PM

I never would have survived to post about it...the top of my head would have blown completely off.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5348 on: April 30, 2015, 06:12:45 PM

I never would have survived to post about it...the top of my head would have blown completely off.

I always type in chat before a game on that map in encounter "Valley is useless here, game is won in the city".  It never works.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5349 on: April 30, 2015, 10:02:54 PM

Thats why I turned off everything but the standard game.  Too many morons who either don't see or don't understand how the different game modes work. 
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5350 on: May 05, 2015, 06:23:26 AM

Carriers are the best. I could play carriers all day long. It's like artillery but with almost no deviation.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5351 on: May 05, 2015, 07:16:01 AM

I mostly play destroyers, so carriers mostly ignore me and I return the favor.  I've seen far too many games lost by DDs haring off after a carrier rather than concentrating on actually winning the game.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5352 on: May 05, 2015, 08:31:28 AM

Cruisers are my fav.  Decent guns, great AA, and good mobility. 

-  Mark Twain
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5353 on: May 07, 2015, 09:00:56 AM

I'm with Nebu, Cruisers are my favorite as well; however, I find I am best at Carriers.  DD are my weakest class of ship.  I understand the concept and how to play them, but I just do it wrong somehow.  I usually get one torp. kill then get sunk; not a good trade usually.  BB are fun, but can be incredibly frustrating.  Nothing like being perfectly aimed and having a hail of 16 inch shells land all around your target, but miss completely... time to wait another 40 seconds. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
WayAbvPar

Reply #5354 on: May 07, 2015, 10:40:27 AM

New Premiums

God help me, I want to buy the 4 pack. What is wrong with me?

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: