Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104671 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5180 on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:20 PM

OK, I checked out some of Jingles stuff, and then a couple more, and then more of Jingles.  Then I downloaded the game and am now muddling around in the game lowering the average competency level of everyone around me! why so serious?  I've actually gotten two kills in my first 6 games with 4/2 w/l and 73% hit ratio.  I need to shoot more.  I make no claim to credit for the amazing w/l ratio - I got carried, no question.  But I want to learn!

Anyone got any hints for how to find low/starter level tutorials/guides? Jingles and most of the others are a year or two into this game and are doing mostly high tier stuff now.  I'd love to see some general discussion of tactics for each specific map.  Nobody ever says anything in chat. Except that Argentinian guy that jabbers in Spanish.

I've tricked out my Sovietsky dune buggy with the best of everything it can carry, but I'm thinking I'll stick with it a while to learn the game more in T1 before advancing on. Also was nice that all but my first game has been all T1, so now that I have an upgraded gun I'm feeling super powerful! LOL

Also, this is another datapoint for the argument that any company that tries to restrict youtube and streaming plays of their games are either idiots or idiots with something to hide.  Because there is NO way I would have tried this had I not watched it played, and, more importantly, had intelligent commentary to explain wtf was going on.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5181 on: January 01, 2015, 10:40:30 PM

OK, I checked out some of Jingles stuff, and then a couple more, and then more of Jingles.  Then I downloaded the game and am now muddling around in the game lowering the average competency level of everyone around me! why so serious?  I've actually gotten two kills in my first 6 games with 4/2 w/l and 73% hit ratio.  I need to shoot more.  I make no claim to credit for the amazing w/l ratio - I got carried, no question.  But I want to learn!

Anyone got any hints for how to find low/starter level tutorials/guides? Jingles and most of the others are a year or two into this game and are doing mostly high tier stuff now.  I'd love to see some general discussion of tactics for each specific map.  Nobody ever says anything in chat. Except that Argentinian guy that jabbers in Spanish.

I've tricked out my Sovietsky dune buggy with the best of everything it can carry, but I'm thinking I'll stick with it a while to learn the game more in T1 before advancing on. Also was nice that all but my first game has been all T1, so now that I have an upgraded gun I'm feeling super powerful! LOL

Also, this is another datapoint for the argument that any company that tries to restrict youtube and streaming plays of their games are either idiots or idiots with something to hide.  Because there is NO way I would have tried this had I not watched it played, and, more importantly, had intelligent commentary to explain wtf was going on.

Honestly, it'll take you several thousand games (I have over 17k in about 3 years) to become competent.  Best advice I can offer to a new player is to watch your mini map to know where the flow of battle is going and to know where your enemy is.  You can increase its size and I suggest you do that.  Also, angling your tank when being shot at helps keep you alive as it might bounce off harmlessly.  Might.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5182 on: January 01, 2015, 11:19:09 PM

Yeah, SA has got to be the biggest problem for most noobs. Well, once you can steer anyway! I'm trying, but it's all still so confusing, and I guess nothing will overcome that except repeated exposure and becoming familiar with all the little clues.  It also helps to not get so wrapped up in sniper mode that you ram the cliff wall, track yourself, and then die instantly to the volley of shots from the four tanks cresting the hill on the other side of the valley.  ouch. 

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5183 on: January 02, 2015, 05:40:19 AM

These guides might help a bit http://wotguru.com/map-strategy/ I'd also suggest running all the tier 1s since it doesn't take much to elite them.  Also, you shouldn't use 'free' xp to unlock a vehicle, because it is better to spend it unlocking the upgraded tracks after you have it.  On most vehicles the tracks are the gate to installing better turrets, guns and engines.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5184 on: January 02, 2015, 07:57:29 AM

um, how do I tell what the name of the map is that I'm playing on? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.  I know I'm probably missing something obvious, probably bold and flashing in the middle of the screen or something. But I'm not seeing it!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5185 on: January 02, 2015, 08:04:39 AM

Its on the load screen at the start of the match.  If you've got a ssd and a fast machine it probably only flashes briefly. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5186 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:26 AM

The name also shows up in the game results screen.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5187 on: January 02, 2015, 05:22:58 PM

Thanks! So I was right. It was obvious and right in front of me.  Ohhhhh, I see.  It's also in the name of the replay file which is the most convenient since it doesn't come and go before I've seen it while I'm trying to take everything else in!

I'm trying to be disciplined about reading up on wtf I did wrong (bad steering excluded, since there is no help for that) after each round. Trying to read up on all the maps first is boring and futile, I won't remember any of it when it's suddenly in my face in a game. But screwing up and then reading about what strategies DO work in a given map seems to be sticking better.  sucks to be my teammate on every new(ish) map though! LOL

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5188 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:58 PM

You really won't know until you've played the maps multiple times since they are actually pretty nuanced.  You are putting about 10x more effort into improving your play than 90 percent of the player base so you will get better than most in not a whole lot of time.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5189 on: January 02, 2015, 09:52:55 PM

Just started playing around with this, and it seems ...incredibly complex. As in the gameplay itself is straightforward enough to just play, but everything else is a bit off-puttingly complex, with research trees, several forms of currency/xp, crew upgrades and a bucket of other things. Do you basically need to spend several hours researching how everything works out of game to figure out these systems?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5190 on: January 02, 2015, 10:48:51 PM

Just ask us a lot of questions.  We're happy to help.

I'm Nebu_f13 in game if you want to open a chat window.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:59:20 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5191 on: January 02, 2015, 10:54:48 PM

Just started playing around with this, and it seems ...incredibly complex. As in the gameplay itself is straightforward enough to just play, but everything else is a bit off-puttingly complex, with research trees, several forms of currency/xp, crew upgrades and a bucket of other things. Do you basically need to spend several hours researching how everything works out of game to figure out these systems?

No

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5192 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:34 PM

Good lord, no. Playing Tanks, a concise guide for new players:

1) Get in starter tank tank, drive around. Shoot things, gain XP and gold. Die a lot.

2) Spend XP to unlock better parts for tank you're driving. Spend gold to buy unlocked parts.

3) When there are no more parts, accrue gold and Xp to unlock and purchase another tank. Either one tier up or in another country or "line" of tanks previously unlocked.

4) Repeat.

(a) Along the way learn weak spots, angling, site lines and maps. Don't worry about any of it at all until Tier 5. Don't research outside of the game until Tier 7.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5193 on: January 03, 2015, 01:15:33 AM

OK, what about my tank crew(s)? I see there's a ton of skills and upgrades and training they can do. Ignore all that for the time being?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5194 on: January 03, 2015, 01:16:45 AM

OK, what about my tank crew(s)? I see there's a ton of skills and upgrades and training they can do. Ignore all that for the time being?

When your crew gets to 100%, you can start adding perks.  These are skills that add an additional benefit.  Some work immediately, while others only work at 100%.  Those may require you to do a little reading. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5195 on: January 03, 2015, 01:21:51 AM

I wouldn't bother with crew skills until you get into the tier 6 realm or so (maybe higher) because to get skilled crews you will need to spend gold (merusk mean silver when he says gold, gold is actual money, silver is in game earnings) to covert crews from one vehicle to another.  You would have to start with a 100 percent crew (which costs gold) or retrain them a couple of times at 100 percent (which cost gold) for skills to even matter. 

Get your driving mechanics down in the 2-5 tier with 50 percent (or 75 percent if you get the silver reserves) crews first. At those tiers crew skills aren't that important (although they are nice to have).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5196 on: January 03, 2015, 03:29:20 AM

OK, so what kind of things should I spend silver on to upgrade? I've done a little reading, and I think I'll choose to go for US and/or German Tanks, being a complete n00b to this thing. Should I spend silver to upgrade the existing US/Ger tanks?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5197 on: January 03, 2015, 03:55:05 AM

OK, so what kind of things should I spend silver on to upgrade? I've done a little reading, and I think I'll choose to go for US and/or German Tanks, being a complete n00b to this thing. Should I spend silver to upgrade the existing US/Ger tanks?

Yes.  Always.  A stock tank is absolute garbage.  Once you upgrade it things become much better.  A lot of times you will have to upgrade the tracks first so your tank can carry the extra load of the new turret, gun and equipment.  Go to the vehicle details tab so see how much your tank can carry then check the weights of your upgrades to see if you can put some on without the new tracks.  If you can, I suggest putting a better gun on first because more damage means more xp and money.  However, again, most tanks require the upgraded turret to put the new gun on.  Check the info tab to see what gun each turret can use.  Most tank destroyers and arty don't have that problem since they don't have turrets. 

Don't let the amount of info explode your brain.  There's a lot to take in but after awhile it becomes more obvious.  Get in a tank.  Shoot shit.  Die.  Go back to your garage and grab another tank and do it all over again (you can leave the game once you die by pressing esc).
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5198 on: January 03, 2015, 06:55:38 AM

I would recommend you upgrade the crew to 75% if you have the silver. If you are short then upgrade the commander, he determines how far your tank can see and 10% of his skill is added to the crew.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5199 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:24 AM

They've made it easier to check the weight (I think this isn't part of out of my mods) in that if you mouse over the module if it would be too heavy to put on your tank the weight is in red.  But, yes, upgrades of tank modules is mandatory or you will just hate the tank.

-H.L. Mencken
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5200 on: January 03, 2015, 05:49:29 PM

Get used to two steps forward one (or more) back when you buy a new tank in a line.  In most cases after tier 4 the fully upgraded tank you are leaving will be considerably better than the one you just unlocked and bought.  Partially because most stock tanks suck but also because you will have to spend some time learning how to be effective in your new tank. 
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5201 on: January 03, 2015, 06:46:14 PM

OK, I've upgraded all of my newb tanks. Good advice - it's making a world of difference. It seems that in order to progress, I'll need to buy additional "garage slots" for additional tanks?

I would recommend you upgrade the crew to 75% if you have the silver. If you are short then upgrade the commander, he determines how far your tank can see and 10% of his skill is added to the crew.

What do you mean by this? Without doing some online research, I can't make head or tails of the system they have in place.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5202 on: January 03, 2015, 07:19:07 PM

OK, I've upgraded all of my newb tanks. Good advice - it's making a world of difference. It seems that in order to progress, I'll need to buy additional "garage slots" for additional tanks?

What do you mean by this? Without doing some online research, I can't make head or tails of the system they have in place.

Ah right, silver not gold My bad.

At low levels just sell the old tanks. They're cheap as hell compared to the later tanks. Seriously, I'm pretty sure some of them cost less than a module for later tanks.  You shouldn't need garage space until Tier V, and by then you should see a sale on garage slots.

Don't worry too much about the crew system at lower tiers. You're starting and it's a whole new ball of wax when you start to get into it.

WOT link: http://worldoftanks.com/en/content/guide/general/tank-crew-training-and-qualifications/

The crew system becomes more a little more apparent when you buy a new tank. You'll have the option for a 50% crew (free) a 75% crew (costs 20k silver/ crew) or a 100% crew (costs 100 gold/ crew)  This is your crews effectiveness in the tank for all of their positions.

At higher tiers it becomes a minor cost. 20k silver for a 6 crew tank is only 120k out of a 3.3-million tank. They become more effective and you get to carry any skills they gained forward.

Skills are the important part. Your crew can't gain them until they reach 100% rating in a tank. When they do, skill slots unlock for things like Improved Driving, Improved Camouflage ability, better reticle control, faster turning, etc.  Depends on the crew slot.  This makes older crews that much more valuable in the end game.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5203 on: January 03, 2015, 07:27:54 PM

FYI: Garage slots, crew training, barracks slots, equipment, and consumables are all half price until Jan 19th.  If you plan to spend a little cash on the game, now is a good time. 

-  Mark Twain
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5204 on: January 03, 2015, 07:35:04 PM

So... I shouldn't have upgraded them all, then?  swamp poop

Since I've "unlocked" the second(?) tier, should I sell some shitty Renaults and buy one of the next tanks that I've unlocked? I'm looking at US/GE/RU tanks now. Any recommendations amongst those for a total newbie?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5205 on: January 03, 2015, 07:36:23 PM

I actually don't mind spending a little bit of money on it. But again, a bit confised as to how it works. Seems you need gold to unlock all that crap, which you can buy from the website somewhere. Again, any recommendations on what to buy that's on sale for a newbie?

Also, I see you guys talking about artillery, which I presume are SPGs in this game. Seems a lot of fun. What tier do they come up and again - any recommendations for a newbie? edit - I see the T-57 is available now.

I presume the roman numerals shown here are the tiers?
http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Self-Propelled_Guns

I'm ducking in and out of game between matches/deaths to post here and ask idiot newbie questions, which is why the posts are a bit scattered.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:41:46 PM by Azazel »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5206 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:51 PM

Nah, spending the money on crew on it is fine, I'd have saved the money for another tank or module myself.  However, it's not a big deal long-term and now your crew and pew pew better.  At low levels it's a marginal thing, IMO.

You buy gold on the website but you have to login to your account on it first.

You get the most value out of garage slots and certain pieces of equipment. However, since you don't know what you like driving yet skip the equipment and go for the garage slots if you're buying gold.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5207 on: January 03, 2015, 09:01:12 PM

Artillery and Tank Destroyer lines start at tier 2 so you should see them as options for research on your starter vehicle upgrade trees.  Since the xp to unlock them is pretty minimal go ahead and unlock all of them while you are still in the run around like a squirrel on crack pew pew pew phase of the game.  Some countries have a medium line as well and Japan and China don't have TDs or Arty.  Around tier 4 you start getting heavy tanks to unlock as well.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5208 on: January 04, 2015, 06:51:08 AM

Here's another nooblicious question - there seems to only be about 3-4 maps? I keep playing the same ones over and over, in any case...

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5209 on: January 04, 2015, 07:39:18 AM

Here's another nooblicious question - there seems to only be about 3-4 maps? I keep playing the same ones over and over, in any case...

More open up as you move up the tiers.  There's actually 1 or 2 maps only used in low tiers now.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5210 on: January 04, 2015, 01:43:43 PM

Some noob hints for other noobs.  Maybe even worth what you pay for them!

Apparently it's much easier to start now than it used to be. I started with 7 tanks, 1 Tier 1 from each of the 6 current nations, plus a Tier 2 elite Pz.Kpfw. ii Ausf. D (is there a shorter abbreviation to that abbreviation?? LOL).  The 6 Tier 1 all start with 100% crew!!!  The elite had a 75% crew.  No more grinding up 50% in Tier 1 battles with 100% vets. 

Because you start at 100%, if you plan to play the tier 1's more than a day (I have and will continue to play them until I can "win" consistently in them, according to my own definition of "win") it seems like a good idea to not waste tank exp.  That means after every single fight, win or lose, you should open the research button and spend your "Combat Experience" (NOT the "Free Experience") on everything you can, whether you need it or not (you do, with only a few exceptions). Then go ahead and buy/mount those upgrades except for those few you don't need.  As soon as you tick off all the research boxes including the next tanks, your tank becomes "elite" which means you start gaining either much more Free Experience, or double the speed you crew learns Skills and Perks.

You can get enough exp to elite a T1 tanks in just a few fights (it was 2 or 3 during the holiday special). If you fail to spend that exp to make it elite, all further exp that tank earns is pretty much wasted I think.  So get it done as soon as you have enough.

Also I was lucky and started during the holiday special where the first win in each tank gained 5x(!!!!) exp. Now it's just the regular 2x which is still nice. You can get lots of extra Free Exp and silver to play with by playing every tank you have every day you play until they get a win, then on to the next.  In a couple days I had 150,000 silver to splurge on a new T2 Tank Destroyer with a new crew (it takes 4 crew instead of the 2 in the freebie, and I can keep playing both now) trained to 75% and a camo net I swap around to every tank I play (why not, it's not like they are full of other gear!).

expand the minimip with the '=' key and watch it. A lot.

Replay some of your battles to see what people who had a clue did in them while you were thrashing about.  Who shot you? From where? Where did the top scorers on both sides go?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5211 on: January 04, 2015, 02:30:58 PM

If you fail to spend that exp to make it elite, all further exp that tank earns is pretty much wasted I think

Yes, if you don't use it to research all the modules/next tank it will just accrue and you will end up with more than you need on that tank. Once you elite your tank (unless you want to bank xp to convert to free xp using gold) check the "Accelerate Crew Training" box above your crew. The "tank xp" will be given to the lowest xp crew member (so one guy gets double crew xp each battle and it rotates around).

-H.L. Mencken
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5212 on: January 04, 2015, 04:13:46 PM

As soon as you tick off all the research boxes including the next tanks, your tank becomes "elite" which means you start gaining either much more Free Experience, or double the speed you crew learns Skills and Perks.

An important caveat about the double speed training with elite tanks, it only doubles the XP for the crewman with the lowest total XP, not the whole crew. Premium tanks give the entire crew their training bonus. With the premium tanks be wary though. Some are great, some are mediocre, and some are just pretty bad and you would only want to buy to look at in your garage. A solid performer that's probably pretty cheap is the Soviet Matilda. In the German line the Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm is good but pisses me off because it used to be part of the regular Pz.Kpfw. IV until people started complaining about how rapey it was. They took those modules out, made a premium tank with them, and gave it a higher tier.

I also recommend getting some whatchamacallits that you can move from tank to tank to tank without paying the gold fee to remove them. The cammo net and telescopic binoculars are good and relatively cheap.

Also, continuing to accrue XP on an elite tank isn't really wasted. You can use it as a bank to convert to universal XP using gold and you can also leave it sit in case they add another tank coming off of it or add more modules.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5213 on: January 05, 2015, 09:20:03 AM

I have to ask... since I'm starting to wonder: Has the player base gotten worse or am I just becoming much more aware of the stupid shit that people do?

I'd also like to add that the arty mechanic + XVM is an issue.  Spending an entire match dodging arty fire, even when bottom tier, is getting old fast. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:21:35 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5214 on: January 05, 2015, 09:22:12 AM

Both, and it becomes especially apparent during increased XP weekends.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: