Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1117155 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4340 on: January 09, 2014, 06:39:23 PM

Yeah I've got more than enough free XP for that jump.  I've got something like 40k across all my premium tanks because I haven't bought gold to convert in a while.  I should probably wait until a conversion special or something.

ed: Or not.. Just loaded up and looked.  I have 50k free xp but that gun is 63k.  Grind ahoy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:41:53 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4341 on: January 09, 2014, 06:47:11 PM

That is like 10 games in a tier 8 premium...no prob!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4342 on: January 09, 2014, 06:48:48 PM

One has to actually PLAY the game to do that.  I logged out just thinking about playing a few 2x in my now-elited Su or T34.  I'm done for a bit it seems.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4343 on: January 09, 2014, 06:59:50 PM

I really thought things would improve once the 5x event ended.

Wow... was I wrong.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:19:43 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4344 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:32 AM

Mission completed! Reward:
Vehicles added: IS-6
Slots added: 1

Whew.  Only real pain was the 59-16 but it forced me to learn how to be a passive scout which I was never really good at (and had little interest in). Main problem is that if your team sucks then you aren't in the top ten because no one is shooting what you are spotting.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4345 on: January 10, 2014, 04:26:54 AM

Whew.  Only real pain was the 59-16 but it forced me to learn how to be a passive scout which I was never really good at (and had little interest in). Main problem is that if your team sucks then you aren't in the top ten because no one is shooting what you are spotting.

That would be a nice little tank if the gun had some more pen to it.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4346 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:18 AM

I'm surprised that you didn't already have the IS-6.  Congrats!  I don't think I have the stamina for that kind of a grind... especially in tier 6.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #4347 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:24 AM

Good god. You are a far more patient man than I (like that is news). Congrats!

I would have done the Chinese portion in the Type 58. Everyone seems to hate it but I had a lot of fun in it. Having my old Type 59 crew probably didn't hurt.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4348 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:50 AM

Grats, Ab.  I took one look at that and thought about what it would take to do solo and said fuck it.  You guys get on hours after I'm already offline.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4349 on: January 10, 2014, 12:38:42 PM

I used the 59-16 because I had it sitting in my garage for some reason. It is a  fun tank to drive but can't pen shit. Only bought two tanks ( both when they went on sale) to do the mission which is one of the reasons I decided to do it, I.e. Had them sitting around so why not. Was mostly just doing doubles. Actually was able to work on some of my mechanics in the lower stakes matches and made a lot of money along the way.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #4350 on: January 10, 2014, 03:32:16 PM

How about this for a tight finish. Who would have thought pubbies will listen ... if you harangue them enough.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4351 on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:48 PM

Researched:
Waffenträger auf E 100 researched. Undistributed experience spent: 205,000. Free Experience spent: 0.

Awwwww, yeaaaah!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4352 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:35 AM

I've been playing around with the KV-2 again.  I forgot how much fun it can be. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
WayAbvPar

Reply #4353 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:49 AM

Researched:
Waffenträger auf E 100 researched. Undistributed experience spent: 205,000. Free Experience spent: 0.

Awwwww, yeaaaah!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

We will have to play a few games together. I want to see you terrorize people with that thing.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4354 on: January 13, 2014, 12:27:43 PM

Someone on one of my teams last night asked if he was able to use a controller to play, insisting he would be able to play better with one. Facepalm
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4355 on: January 13, 2014, 01:00:36 PM

So, I think I might be interested in joining a clan, again.  I left my first clan do to my tendency to openly rage at morons who do blatantly stupid things.  I didn't want to give them a bad name and have people think "Man, the guys in his clan are probably assholes, too."  I've managed to mostly calm my tits when I see people doing stupid shit. awesome, for real

I'm a fairly decent player with a 53% win rate.  I have 4 tier 10's in my garage with 4 others unlocked.  I'd like to do some clan wars but I'm not interested in being super hardcore.  Playing lower tier tanks is something I do, too.  Who doesn't enjoy a little seal clubbing every now and then? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  A casual clan that only gets serious when playing is what I'm looking for. 

WayAbvPar

Reply #4356 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:12 PM

So, I think I might be interested in joining a clan, again.  I left my first clan do to my tendency to openly rage at morons who do blatantly stupid things

Do you have a SA account? Because that tendency would make you fit right in with the goons. We might be full in PANSY atm, but people are always going inactive and getting kicked so I am sure we could squeeze you in.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4357 on: January 13, 2014, 04:23:08 PM

And you should definitely ask if anyone has the Girds Und Panzer skins/voice pack in the SA thread too.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4358 on: January 13, 2014, 04:33:34 PM

Furry skin pack would probably be a better request.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4359 on: January 13, 2014, 05:55:20 PM

Ginaz: Platoon with me, damnit!

-  Mark Twain
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4360 on: January 14, 2014, 07:49:31 AM

My clan is always looking for good players.  We currently have one provence on the map.  We hold land about 10-20% of the time and normally win most of our landing battles.

We are loosey goosey most of the time but get serious in Clan Wars.  We would like you to train but don't require it.

We require mature players who can follow orders in Clan Wars and don't insult other players in pub matches.   We also need you to participate in Clan Wars if you are logged on and we need to fill out a team. 

If this sounds good to you please PM me.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4361 on: January 14, 2014, 08:14:12 AM

Saw this on the WoT forums and thought I'd share.

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4362 on: January 15, 2014, 07:11:40 PM

A streamer I watch had a Q&A session with people from Wargaming. Thought you guys will find it interesting

http://www.twitch.tv/ritagamer2/c/3554697

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4363 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:34 PM

Victory!
Battle: Tundra 1/16/2014 7:22:18 PM
Vehicle: Type 4 Chi-To
Experience received: 3,636 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 43,789
Battle achievements: Sniper, Invader

Still not enough for Ace.  Damn.

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #4364 on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:07 PM

The below text is taken from their patent.

According to another aspect, the matchmaking server may store a win/loss percentage for each user (or vehicle) at a given battle level. As the player's win/loss ratio decreases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the lower end of the allowable range, whereas as the player's win/loss ration increases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the upper end of the allowable range. Thus, when a player has been repeatedly put into too many difficult battles, the balancing is done in favor of easier battle sessions, thereby encouraging the player by providing an easier game environment. Similarly, when the player has been repeatedly put into too many easy battles, the balancing is done in favor of harder battle sessions, thereby keeping the player challenged instead of letting the player become bored with easy games. A first possible algorithm is to divide the permissible battle levels evenly across a range from zero (0) to two (2), and place the vehicle into the battle level corresponding to the win/loss ratio, where any ratio greater than two (2) automatically results in the vehicle being placed in the highest possible battle level. Another possible algorithm is to increase the battle level by one (within the permissible range) for a vehicle each time a player wins a battle with that vehicle, and decrease the battle level by one (within the permissible range) each time a player loses a battle with that vehicle. If the battle level is already at the upper end of the range and the player wins the battle, the battle level may remain constant. Similarly, if the battle level is already at the lower end of the range and the player loses the battle, the battle level may remain constant.

I know angry.bob posted about this earlier in the thread and I far from discounted it. After coming back to play for a few months, I felt convinced of this gamification so felt I should look it up.
This was definitely not a feature that was working when I started playing and I think it might have been perfected around the time I last quit. After coming back and playing for a long stretch this gamification is so obvious, which made me do a bit of research. This is exactly the sort of dumbing down of games I despise so I reckon another long break is imminent, probably offload my account if anyone is interested.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4365 on: January 16, 2014, 06:08:54 PM

If you're not having fun, that's the best reason to leave the game or take a break.  Sorry to hear that you're leaving.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:47:38 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #4366 on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:25 AM

It's not that, it's still can be fun to play, but being forced to play with morons for a few games til the doom-switch is turned off just doesn't wash. I now know if I lose a game, another loss will follow and likely another one after that, until I've been punished enough for winning some games. Such a horrible mechanic.

Surely it would have also been possible, using a tool akin to XVM, to reshuffle the teams so as to give a 50% chance to win to both sides, or near enough. Bleh, you can have my stuff  awesome, for real

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4367 on: January 17, 2014, 12:48:54 PM

I don't think the permissible battle ranges available to tanks are all that wide enough to really effect the outcome all that much plus you could still end up on a higher tier game with good players.  In fact, you are more likely to end up with good players in that scenario because the rest of the (say tier 8s) that end up in the tier 11 battle are more likely to be shoved up there for running good same as you.   I think the main problem is that the vast, vast, vast majority of players on this game are clueless morons so the good players are getting spread thinner and thinner.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4368 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:26 PM

I think the main problem is that the vast, vast, vast majority of players on this game are clueless morons so the good players are getting spread thinner and thinner.

I agree with this.  I'm above average at best and it's becoming more and more common for me to be the best player (statistically) in a given match.  I'd expect this at tier 3 or 4, but I'm seeing it in tiers 8 and 9 now where it didn't used to be the case several months ago.  I think their marketing campaigns are attracting more FPS-style players that don't recognize the strategic aspects of the game.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #4369 on: January 17, 2014, 02:16:05 PM

It gets worse at higher tiers every day because the game still rewards people who actively hurt their team by their presence with XP every game. If they stopped that and made people actually have to do something in game in order to earn XP and silver, the retards would have to put at least a modicum of effort in instead of failing their way into tier 10s they have no clue how to drive.

And the game needs to uninstall itself automatically if two or more people with sub 45% WRs try to platoon together past tier V. They just absolutely hamstring every team they are on, since the other side will get a platoon as well. If I get the reds the other side seems to always get a platoon of purples to speed up the rape.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4370 on: January 17, 2014, 03:12:38 PM

It's a very MMO progression, if you do the time you will eventually get to max level.  When I play now, it's rare to end up in a fun match and putting together a string of them doesn't happen very often these days.  Probably the worst part of it for me is that because most matches suck I don't play much anymore, because I don't play much my skills have atrophied which makes it that much harder to have a satisfying match.  I think in the last month I've managed less than 50 matches.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4371 on: January 17, 2014, 06:33:35 PM

I think the main problem is that the vast, vast, vast majority of players on this game are clueless morons so the good players are getting spread thinner and thinner.

I agree with this.  I'm above average at best and it's becoming more and more common for me to be the best player (statistically) in a given match.  I'd expect this at tier 3 or 4, but I'm seeing it in tiers 8 and 9 now where it didn't used to be the case several months ago.  I think their marketing campaigns are attracting more FPS-style players that don't recognize the strategic aspects of the game.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I know I'm not the best or one of the elite players but I also know I'm (way) above average, though thats not saying too much considering what the "average" is.  Over time, too many people have failed their way to the higher tiers.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4372 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:17 AM

So I just bought the Foch155 and got my French Engineer badge, finishing that tree, my first fully finished tree.

I also had a very good fight in Clan Wars last night in the Foch155, getting 3 kills for ~5k damage. My med wolf pack kept the targets distraced as I came up and gave 'em a 3x700 hp smack upside the head. That thing is gonna be fun, even if they nerf it a bit (which tbh, it needs).

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4373 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:58 AM

If any of you are looking to buy some gold in the near future, Best buy is having a sale on $25 gift cards for $20.  Apparently they are a code that converts to 6250 gold on your account. Not a bad price for in-game gold.

Best Buy site link

WoT Forum post about the cards.

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4374 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:04 PM

Just in time for the Wafflethrower nerfs, here's Ranzar/Tanktoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7hyT6QXyg

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: