Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104667 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3850 on: August 30, 2013, 06:34:30 PM

The BT-2 is a fun tier 2 tank I would recommend. I play it regularly still.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3851 on: August 31, 2013, 03:36:40 AM

Was having a decent game, but then no one wanted to help reset...welp:

Outscoring and Outdamaging everyone else on your team like that is just annoying.

PS - TRIPPY HALP, I don't know how to re-size!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3852 on: August 31, 2013, 11:04:51 AM

I feel ya.  My first 3 matches last night: 3600, 3800, 3300 damage.  Loss. Loss. Loss.

Finally got wins in some 1000 damage matches.  Not happy.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3853 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:12 PM

Heh, I had this a few nights ago. 4800 damage. Result Draw

http://wotreplays.com/site/321024#malinovka-suranis1-amx_50_100

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3854 on: August 31, 2013, 06:41:17 PM

I'll openly admit that I'm a pretty random player based on a lot of factors, but the playstyles of people the last month has just really sucked and frustrated me. Heavies hiding and sniping from the far rear - too far to see the stuff that's being spotted, people splitting into groups to cover areas at the start of the match and then next thing I know they've turned around and formed some shitty clump near the spawn, blah, blah, blah.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3855 on: August 31, 2013, 07:08:04 PM

Yeah the heavy sniping is getting worse and I have no idea why.  I had a Tiger II sitting on the boundary lines today in a tier 9 match.  WTF.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #3856 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:42 PM

Thanks for the tips folks. I picked up that BT-2 as my first T2 tank. Played a match before dinner with it and while it ended up a draw, I did well and liked the feel of it. I need to put more time into it but seems like a solid recommendation. First night I did horrible but I seem to have improved a bit with last night's battles. http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/TheToxicWaltz/1005932324
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3857 on: September 01, 2013, 01:03:40 AM

World of Warplanes is offering a $100 pack for 1 year of premium + 8000 gold. It's not a horrid deal if you will be playing tanks for a year. (The premium in planes is shared with tanks, and eventually with warships.)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3858 on: September 01, 2013, 09:42:00 AM

World of Warplanes is offering a $100 pack for 1 year of premium + 8000 gold. It's not a horrid deal if you will be playing tanks for a year. (The premium in planes is shared with tanks, and eventually with warships.)

Quite a good deal.  It's like getting 8k gold free.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #3859 on: September 01, 2013, 11:04:02 AM

I'm torn, because I recently re-upped for 6 months of Premium - I don't know that I'll be playing WoX games a year and a half from now.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3860 on: September 01, 2013, 04:09:15 PM

Quite a good deal.  It's like getting 8k gold free.

PLus you get the preorder only tier V preorder only carrier version of the aircobra.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3861 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:18 AM

We'll see how I do at the poker tables this week. I might dump another $100 into this game after all.

This game was hilarious. 3 kills in my M40/43, all via TD method. Our Leopard was watching me and singing my praises. I was cackling the whole match.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3862 on: September 03, 2013, 10:25:52 AM

I got the AT-8 TD last night.  In 16 games I had 33 kills...and 6 wins.  Completely my fault I bet. awesome, for real

I've actually been doing better the past few weeks, despite the onslaught of shitty teams.  Over the past 2 weeks I have 154 wins in 276 games with 415 kills.  I'm really enjoying the E-25, as well.  A 54.5% win rate in 189 games with about 350 kills.  If it is in a tier 7 game, it can be a little death machine.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:51:29 AM by Ginaz »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3863 on: September 03, 2013, 10:30:17 AM

I got the AT-8 TD last night.  In 16 games I had 33 kills...and 6 wins.  Completely my fault I bet. awesome, for real

British TD's are beasts against people that don't know their weak spots.  By that, I mean most people. 

When I see a Brit TD, I usually move to a different flank and save them for last.  Most of them have such terrible mobility that it's easier to move around them than to engage them.

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #3864 on: September 03, 2013, 11:52:37 AM

Helm and I took out a T-29 with just a M4 Sherman and a T-49 - I laughed real hard.

We still got lots of dumb teams.

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #3865 on: September 03, 2013, 12:02:12 PM

Monster game from Katiri (Furiously) in his M40/43, with an assist from yours truly in the same tank. Brothers In Arms, basically won the game for our team. It was fun, and intense!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:03:51 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3866 on: September 03, 2013, 01:06:18 PM

Great work...  Wish I could have been there.  I had to run off right after you sent me the platoon invite. 

-  Mark Twain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3867 on: September 05, 2013, 02:37:37 AM

I went one way, the rest of the team went another.... Then I spotted their team and the others all sniped away...

Vehicle: T34
Experience received: 1,834
Credits received: 112,716 (fine: 135)
Battle Achievements: Patrol Duty

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3868 on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:55 AM

Yeah the heavy sniping is getting worse and I have no idea why.  I had a Tiger II sitting on the boundary lines today in a tier 9 match.  WTF.

Cant believe I missed this. The reason is bloody simple - the accuracy buff in 8.6. All of a sudden tanks that previously could not hit anything at 5 yards can reliably hit stuff at long range. Combined with the Arty nerf that means that there no reason to get out of a bush as even an IS3 will be a decent sniping tank. Why the hell do you think that the KV-1S has gone from a tank that was rarely seen to suddenly filling entire tier 6 matches? Because its big derp gun can now hit and pen things half the map away. Before it was useless, now its the most powerful tier 6 tank.

And then there is the proliferation of Gold ammo now, which means that raw armour is now next to useless. Why bother with angling anymore? Seriously its getting stupid, I don't care if you drive into battle backwards, teams should not be getting wiped in less than 30 seconds and its just happening more and more. I've watched Tanks happily penning the UPPER glacis of a Jagtiger. I am this close to just quitting again because of the utter retardedness of it. People argue that it does not do any more damage, well if one side is bouncing and the other side is penning from medium to long range range (hello accuracy nerf) then it bloody well does not matter.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3869 on: September 05, 2013, 09:34:07 AM

I loved this game so bad in open beta. Got a little burned out after a million matches, and when I came back I realized there were people with custom textures to show weak spots, and gold ammo. Gold ammo is really something that is beyond me and kills the game, and would kill any game. The point of this post, though, is ask a question: how common gold ammo actually are in random public matches, and how much more damage (or penetration?) do they inflict over normal ammo? And can you still buy gold ammo with real money only?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3870 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:51 AM

Gold ammo is common but you can buy it with credits as well as gold. So ya, its not a pay-to-play factor since you really only need to carry 14 shells of it and although expensive, you need only bring it out when you're in a tough spot, such as faced off with a JT, as SirT mentions.

As far as sniping heavies, I don't have a problem with it at all. A KT cannot face off with an IS3 in close quarters and is meant to lurk and snipe. Now I can see how allowing IS3 and KV-1S's to snipe along side the german line with no penalty is pretty unfair, since you were trading off sniping ability for brawling ability. If you give Russians both abilities, that an imbalance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:40:26 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3871 on: September 05, 2013, 09:45:52 AM

Gold ammo is common but you can buy it with credits as well as gold. So ya, its not a pay-to-play factor since you really only need to carry 14 shells of it and although expensive, you need only bring it out when you're in a tough spot, such as faced off with a JT, as SirT mentions.

It is pay-to-play, but in a more subtle fashion.  Example: I have a premium account and I like to play my T69 (which is a beast when you fire 100% premium ammo).  I can play it 50% longer than a non-premium tanker due to the fact that I lose money at a slower rate than someone with the same performance on a non-premium account.  The non-premium player will be forced to play other tanks sooner to augment the cost of firing pure premium in an overpowered tank.  

If you want to play well in this game, you need to play the right tanks, with a well-trained crew, with proper equipment, with a complement of significant premium ammo,  and in a platoon with other quality players.  Failing to do any of these will handicap you against the top players.  I've watched my stats improve drastically by doing two things: Spamming more gold ammo and playing the best tanks more often.  

I never realized how much of a disadvantage I was at firing standard rounds and not using free xp upgrade tanks as soon as I unlock them.  It really is a well disguised pay-to-play system.  The only way to play this game competitively for free is to be in a land holding clan.  How many people have the gaming skill to pull that one off?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:47:49 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3872 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:03 AM

Gold ammo is roughly 4 times as expensive in credits per round as standard ammo. The actual stats vary quite a bit, but in general it increases the armour penetration by about 50 to 60%, or in the case of HEAT ammo massively increases the explosive damage.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:56:12 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3873 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:39 AM

Failing to do any of these will handicap you against the top players.  I've watched my stats improve drastically by doing two things: Spamming more gold ammo and playing the best tanks more often.  

The only way to play this game competitively for free is to be in a land holding clan.  How many people have the gaming skill to pull that one off?

I've emphasized two elements of what you've stated to make a point;  its still possible to advance and have good tanks for the tier without premium. I'm doing it now. No premium yet having a good time with my IS2, Type 58, and others I'm grinding. I use gold sparingly when its a double, etc.

The other part that's missing is that if you're good enough a top clan will pick you up and then gold/premium is basically free.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3874 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:44 AM

Gold ammo is roughly 4 times as expensive in credits per round as standard ammo. The actual stats vary quite a bit, but in general it increases the armour penetration by about 50 to 60%.

For some tanks (i.e. T69, IS2, T54) it turns them from a balanced tank into a beast.  I don't hesitate to snapshot tier 8 heavies in the face with my T69 using premium ammo.  I'm not even getting into how fun it is smapping 300 pen rounds on my tier 7 IS-2.

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3875 on: September 05, 2013, 09:58:25 AM

I've emphasized two elements of what you've stated to make a point;  its still possible to advance and have good tanks for the tier without premium. I'm doing it now. No premium yet having a good time with my IS2, Type 58, and others I'm grinding. I use gold sparingly when its a double, etc.

The other part that's missing is that if you're good enough a top clan will pick you up and then gold/premium is basically free.

You are correct in that sense.  I also firmly believe that WoT has the best F2P model I've seen to date.  I'm more pointing out that the benefits of paying WGN do impact more than people may see on the surface.

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3876 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:29 AM

The IS2 is so ridiculous that they are nerfing the pen to 250 in 8.8.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3877 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:02 AM

Yeah, I carry them on all my tanks except the Tier 9 & 10 now.  Since I have the only Tier X I cared to have and my autoloading T69 all my credits go towards equipment and gold rounds. I don't have a real interest in exploring other tank lines or buying new tanks so I'm maxed for how I want to play.

Hell, I've got so many premiums (Too many when I think about it*) that the credit cost is laughable. Even moreso on the low-tier tanks.  When the M4 was a gold derpmobile I could make-up the cost of 3 games worth of ammo with a good match on my Type 59.

* KV-5, Type 59, The french arty, AT-15A, T34, and now the French TD. That's a lot of dollars.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3878 on: September 05, 2013, 10:21:49 AM

I do want to point out that you can do just fine without gold rounds. I rarely use gold rounds and haven't loaded any on any tank in quite awhile.
http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Veredus/1000013824/
I'm certainly not anywhere near the best player but I do better then most I think.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3879 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:05 AM

I do want to point out that you can do just fine without gold rounds. I rarely use gold rounds and haven't loaded any on any tank in quite awhile.
http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Veredus/1000013824/
I'm certainly not anywhere near the best player but I do better then most I think.

It really depends on which tanks you like to play.  An elite IS 3 or 50 100 doesn't need to shoot gold, whereas a T69 or IS 6 benefits greatly from it.  Play the T69 for a week with standard rounds followed by a week with nothing but premium.  I bet you see a 20% performance improvement.

-  Mark Twain
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3880 on: September 05, 2013, 10:39:40 AM

Oh ya I know that is true. Doesn't matter what tank you're driving, you add as much pen as most gold rounds do and it'll be easier. I was just pointing out it's not needed to still do well and more importantly to have fun.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3881 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:41 AM

Yes, in the situation I mentioned above with the jagtiger there was 2 tanks and they could have just flanked the JT and let one guy pore fire into his weak sides, but instead they just sat there ignoring his front armour. Gold ammo, the accuracy buff and to a lesser extent the arty nerf just renders the whole strategic element of the game moot. Its just guys ripping apart the people who don't have the Skeeeells to have prem ammo as they have to chose their shots and the gold ammo people don't. And it shortens the time of the games as well as tanks just evaporate, making those enjoyable long strategic games more and more rare, and people are dead before they can even react to getting shot at.

Ok I'm making myself mad now. Anyway I find I do much better in win rate just sticking to scouting, but then my "efficiency" drops through the floor. Fun times.

It really depends on which tanks you like to play.  An elite IS 3 or 50 100 doesn't need to shoot gold, whereas a T69 or IS 6 benefits greatly from it.  Play the T69 for a week with standard rounds followed by a week with nothing but premium.  I bet you see a 20% performance improvement.

The T69 is designed to fire APCR rounds

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Ammo

APCR shells normally cost gold. However, 7.5 made APCR shells the standard ammunition used by the new tier 10 medium tanks. Additionally, 8.2 made APCR shells the standard ammunition used by the 76 mm Gun T185 cannon, which can be mounted on the T71 American light tank, and the T69 American medium tank. They cannot use AP ammo at all, and instead can purchase this ammo using credits rather than gold. Tanks whose guns default to APCR are also not subject to the same penetration loss over distance as premium APCR, but still have the higher muzzle velocity.

So yeah, I'm sure your test will be conclusive considering the only non prem ammo the T69 can use is HE, unless you go up to the 90mm on the T69 in which case your premium is HEAT with 300 penetration. Woohoo, explosive in your hull tastic. No shit your performance will go up with that.

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/T69
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:47:56 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3882 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:47 PM

* KV-5, Type 59, The french arty, AT-15A, T34, and now the French TD. That's a lot of dollars.

I can honestly recommend the Matilda IV from the Russian line as well as the su-100Y. The Matilda bounces stuff left and right and has a good gun on it. The 100Y is huge, slow, and hard to hide but it's gun is practically identical to the gun on the IS-7. One of the stats isn't as good, I forget which one. But it barely matters at the tier battles it gets into.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3883 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:33 PM

Yeah but I'm *REALLY* trying not to pour more money in to this game.  I struggled with myself for a while to buy that TD on sale. If they go on sale I'll pick 'em up.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3884 on: September 05, 2013, 09:03:27 PM

Yeah but I'm *REALLY* trying not to pour more money in to this game.  I struggled with myself for a while to buy that TD on sale. If they go on sale I'll pick 'em up.

tons of the mid level premiums are on sale this weekend for half off, including the Matilda IV.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: