Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:44:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104715 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2485 on: August 03, 2012, 03:26:59 PM

I didn't have any waits, either, so the bigger spread seems to have been pointless. 

It would be fairly interesting to see the data.  I bet the better MM caused a lot of people to shift to lower tier tanks.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2486 on: August 03, 2012, 04:03:28 PM

How is the super pershing? I haven't had time to look at any info.

It seems to take damage ok, I think that bolted on armour accounts for something.I get hit noises I don't recognise from my other tanks. I've been disappointed with the gun, which favours you making flank and rear attacks when you up against 8s and 9s, yet you are so slow that's not happening. Credit income is nice, but it's my first gold tank so not used to it. If it was a bit faster it would be great but I'm not so sure I would have been better buying something else.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2487 on: August 03, 2012, 06:53:12 PM

Yes, the bolted on armor is hilarious bait in random battles. You need 250 pen to actually penetrate that. There are spots, like the edges of the turret, that can be penetrated normally.

The Stug E-100 is painful to come across with it's 1100 damage guaranteed gun. The T110E3 (on the T95 tree) is impossible to penetrate from the front. Tier X mediums are quite equally balanced, so expect the "Which one is better?" conversation to last for a while.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:36:12 AM by Gets »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2488 on: August 03, 2012, 07:45:52 PM

I don't have the US med tier 10 yet, but the Bat Chatillon as a tier 10 is mean.  First match in it...

Victory!
Battle: Murovanka Friday, August 03, 2012 7:31:56 PM
Vehicle: Bat Chatillon 25 t
Experience received: 3,162 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 70,758
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Sniper, Sharpshooter, Hunter

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2489 on: August 04, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

The changes to the match-maker encourage me to think about moving into tier 6 tanks now, going to be interesting. SU-85 still seems ok but need to play with it more, the ELC AMX is just weird... oh well, change keeps things interesting.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
WayAbvPar

Reply #2490 on: August 04, 2012, 10:15:14 AM

I think Tier VI is about my favorite spot. Tanks start to play differently according to their size at about Tier V, so VI is when it really becomes a chess match. Each tank has a role it needs to play; if you play your role correctly, you help your team win.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2491 on: August 04, 2012, 01:03:51 PM

Question for you smart people: If you could buy one premium tank right now, which is the best bang for the buck in terms of being a solid cash farmer?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2492 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:16 PM

I do really well in my American T34. But the Lowe is incredibly accurate. The kv5 takes a crazy beating.  They really need to allow you to rent them/test them before you buy.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2493 on: August 04, 2012, 06:45:15 PM

US T34 is the best cash farmer for me.  The gun isn't as accurate as the Lowe but it seems to penetrate better.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2494 on: August 04, 2012, 10:26:19 PM

Lowe if you like to snipe. With a spotter and binoculars I can hit stuff 80-90% of the map length away.
T34 if you like to get in the action. Gun does seem to penetrate better, but that could just be because I'm a lot closer to targets when I use it.
KV-5 if you like to go 14 kph and then get killed when you get to the fight because everyone shoots the giant R2-D2 sticking out of the front of your tank.

The Lowe can take a pretty good beating if you can angle and keep the lower glacis behind cover.
The T34 is indestructable if you can keep the hull behind cover and present the front of the turret.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2495 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:48 AM

Is the superpershing as good an earner as the Lowe? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #2496 on: August 05, 2012, 09:15:10 AM

Pretty sure KV-5 is gone from the store now (since they buffed it). I believe the Type 59 is making a return soon, however. Very solid earner (thanks Fur!).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2497 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:12 AM

Is the superpershing as good an earner as the Lowe? 
[/quote

No, earnings are based on damage.  However it is cheaper to buy and does earn decent money due to the lower repair and ammo costs.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2498 on: August 05, 2012, 09:56:14 AM

Big fan of my T34 since it has gone premium. I hardly ever play my Lowe anymore. Great gun, OK mobility, great turret. It's a good balance. I would either grab that or wait for the type 59. Although if you want bang for the buck I think (but could very well be wrong) that the type 59 is cheaper than the heavies.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2499 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:07 AM

My 59 earns considerably less than my 34 (unless I get arty-smashed in the first 3 mins)  The 59 was an awesome Tier 7 but is only a nice Tier 8.  You're not doing much to the Tier 10 tanks other than blowing tracks and harassing folks because you can't get up close to use the nice pen on its gun without being super-sneaky.

With the 34 you still can contribute from a few hundred meters away AND you blow the shit out of people up-close.

Last game I ran I earned 54k on the T34 and 33k on the 59.  Once I have everything patched agian I'll keep track on both.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2500 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26:30 AM

With the new MM Type 59 doesn't see Tier X any more.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2501 on: August 05, 2012, 02:15:30 PM

The superpershing's gun is pretty solid, it's just a hilarious tank that can't do much other than push down a street very slowly and draw fire. It will happily stare down a street at 4-5 tier 8s and take zero damage, though. Down side is depending on the targets it may deal zero damage right back.

The 59 is a better t8 medium due to being effectively just as bouncy, but able to move it's shit gun into better firing positions.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2502 on: August 05, 2012, 08:04:12 PM

I don't have a Type 59, but it's probably way more fun to play than slowboating in a Löwe. T34 is ok.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2503 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:48 PM

I believe the Type 59 is making a return soon, however. Very solid earner (thanks Fur!).

They posted something implying it will be on sale again? 
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2504 on: August 05, 2012, 08:46:40 PM

Yes, in the gift shop.

I just played in a platoon with a clanmate who wanted to try his SuperPershing for the first time and he got Top Gun, Ace Tanker and 133k credits because he took no damage until we started assaulting their cap  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2505 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45:08 AM

You know what is better than a game about driving tanks?

A game about driving giant mechs! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2506 on: August 06, 2012, 04:48:05 PM

You would think, but alas.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2507 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:42 PM

The super pershing is absolutely hilarious. T34s eat them alive, but everything else right now has no idea what to do with them. It doesn't help that the penetration arrow lies and claims the whole thing is green pen because it doesn't comprehend spaced armor.

23 hits with 10% damage is my current record, just from sitting there while a T29, a T32 and a Lowe all lobbed shells at my hull.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2508 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:00 PM

A game about flying planes ?  awesome, for real

Also, NDA .

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2509 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:39 AM

I think they are two fantastic games. Loved and still love the hell out of World of Tanks.
But while _I_ find World of Tanks' amount of vehicles and their historical aspects absolutely stellar, _I_ think Mechwarrior's gameplay is just better on all accounts.

EDIT: NDA
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:54:10 AM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2510 on: August 07, 2012, 04:15:25 AM

That's a discussion to be had later. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2511 on: August 07, 2012, 05:10:17 AM

But while _I_ find World of Tanks' amount of vehicles and their historical aspects absolutely stellar, _I_ think Mechwarrior's gameplay is just better on all accounts.

I can't help but think of the '_I_' as a raised middle-finger.  Heartbreak

P.S.: I need a new PC...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2512 on: August 07, 2012, 09:26:39 AM

A game about flying planes ?  awesome, for real

Also, NDA .

A game about steering battleships?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2513 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:49 PM

Wargaming acquires BigWorld middleware firm for $45M

Wargaming, publisher of the spectacularly successful multiplayer title World of Tanks, has acquired Australian online-game software maker BigWorld for $45 million.

In an exclusive interview with GamesBeat, Wargaming chief executive Victor Kislyi said that the acquisition is like many others where a publisher decides to acquire one of its suppliers of a critical tool so that it can stay in control of its own destiny. That’s important as Wargaming tries to disrupt traditional online games with its free-to-play titles, where users can play for free and pay real money for virtual goods. Wargaming has become one of the fastest-growing game companies, and it is insuring that it will control its own technology platform with the BigWorld deal.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/07/wargaming-acquires-bigworld-middleware-firm-for-45m-exclusive/
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2514 on: August 08, 2012, 03:22:43 AM

Seems a sensible move.

I like the match-maker changes a lot, playing my tier 5 tanks it feels like you can contribute and present a threat to most of the tanks you meet. And with the progression smoothed you don't have dead zone at tier 6 and 7 where you are suddenly facing a lot of end-game tanks. Indeed 6 seems to be in quite a nice spot since it won't face 9's and 10's. Apparently the Pz-IV is up for a nerf which is probably not too surprising because the gun is pretty potent with the reduced tier range.

The light match-making is still odd. Lot's of "not really scouts" facing high tier tanks. The ELC AMX is weird but interesting, and not sure about the french line. The 12t and 13/75 have about the same match making and I guess the latter would be okay as a scout / flanker.

Quite fun considering which tier 6 tanks are now viable in terms of adding more fun than their tier 5 equivalent.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2515 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:28 AM

So I'm bored of SWTOR and thinking of picking this up tonight. Does a newbie stand a chance of doing anything right away, or is it a grind of getting your teeth kicked in until you get a better tank?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
WayAbvPar

Reply #2516 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:27 AM

The grind doesn't really become apparent until about Tier 4. By then you should have a slightly better idea of which type of tank you like to drive and can then concentrate your efforts on a couple lines.

Maybe I will start an F13 channel in game tonight so those of you who aren't Evil Chickens can still communicate with each other (and us Chickens).

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2517 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:08 AM

It's not like Navy Field where you're worthless in the beginning and get annihilated by Dreadnaughts in your first games in. Matchmaking is tiered, so you only see tanks 2 tiers above you max while being safe in the knowledge that your team has some as well. Keep in mind tank destroyers get +1 tier added to their matchmaking and artillery gets +2 because of their special roles. You breeze through the first tiers quite fast and it picks up after tier 5. Don't grind, grinding is like staring at the clock in class. Similarly, don't spend your "free accrued xp" for unlocking the next tank faster. Use it to unlock guns instead once you get the tank. The first tiers are fun tiers where you should learn the mechanics of the game, because if you fail to grasp the basics then higher tiers will be more painful on the credit and XP gain after defeats.

Install some goddamn mods! People swear by J1mb0s crosshair (for shell travel time with artillery), the amazingly informative PogS contours icons (for knowing when you can penetrate *giggidy*), accurate damage direction indicator (for shooting invisible tanks) and hitbox skins for maximum engine fires (for "Tiger, Tiger, burning bright"). XVM is a great mod that lets you see people's stats in-game to give you a good idea who to watch out for. Also it lets you call out others for being bad at tanks when they insist on telling everyone what to do.

NB: There are "new account codes" out there that start you off with gold and a free light tank. I think you can get one from Nvidia or buying a code, because having gold is lovely.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:39:04 AM by Gets »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2518 on: August 08, 2012, 10:54:35 AM

Looks like Amazon has a starter code for 15 bucks. Guess I can use my SWTOR money for that. Thanks for the tips.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
WayAbvPar

Reply #2519 on: August 08, 2012, 01:44:02 PM

For those of you who still have a PzIV around and are enjoying your newfound domination of the battlefield now that you don't regularly see T7 and 8s- get out and play it as often as you can now, since they are going to nerf it  Heartbreak

Thankfully I will have it elited well before 8.0 comes out, but that still sucks. It is such a fun tank! First true sniper I have really played. The gun is like a laser.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: