Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:10:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: GTA: Chinatown Wars - Rockstar - DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GTA: Chinatown Wars - Rockstar - DS  (Read 2109 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: May 03, 2009, 06:47:25 PM

I suspect how much people like this game depends a lot on what they are looking for.

I found the plot tedious and forgettable. The main character is an unlikable generic smartass, the supporting characters are clownish cliches, and the writing suffers from extreme cleveritis. The only interesting plot element occurs in the first half hour of the game. And like all GTA games it suffers from an extreme disconnect between the way your character is portrayed and the way he acts in-game as a deranged sociopath who makes Charles Manson look like June Cleaver.

The drug dealing aspect left me cold - wait for hot tips on cocaine then buy low / sell high. And unless you're a completionist there's not much to spend your money on anyway.

That said the actual gameplay is fun, the missions are creative and never fall into a familiar stock-mission rut, and what Rockstar has accomplished with the game technically is pretty remarkable. The diversity in missions is quite impressive, nearly every once has some sort of unique element to it that keeps things fresh, many of which use the stylus controls to good effect. I found myself playing late into the night suffering from one-more-mission syndrome.

Verdict: If you are looking for a well-plotted narrative experience or an open-world dug-dealing simulation then this is a pass. If you are looking for fun mission-oriented gameplay then this is a buy.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: GTA: Chinatown Wars - Rockstar - DS  
Jump to: