Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Wintergrasp 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wintergrasp  (Read 18841 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 11:53:07 PM

Yeah, guards and turrets work for ranking up.

Also, if you have 2+ stacks of tenacity, you instantly get max rank after killing a single NPC or turret. This has lead to several amusing/annoying 5-minute steamrolls where
- multiple attacker raids zoned into WG, getting 20 stacks of tenacity for a minute (about 10-15 defenders were already present when they zoned in, therefore attackers must have tenacity, rite... tenacity only gets recalculated every minute or so)
- someone in a raid killed an NPC which caused everyone to immediately get max rank
- the raid got 16 siege tanks right away and zerged the keep down.

That said, it IS possible to win when outnumbered, just a lot harder, and requires the other side to mess up. (I got the 'against the odds' achievement on both of my chars) The way to win against tenacity is simple: just attack multiple places at once. Even a 20-tenacity superman can't hold the fort at the west wall / east wall / main gate at the same time...

It is probably a huge pain to play horde on an alliance-dominated pve/rp server, or alliance on a horde-dominated pvp server (there are quite a few), thankfully my server is mostly balanced with horde having a slight numerical advantage (resulting in 1-2 tenacity stacks). Then again, blizz has proven that the only pvp they care about is lol-esport arena, so  awesome, for real

-- Z.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 12:46:11 AM

Yeah, it's nice they dumped enough XP bonuses and super-easy raid bosses and assorted carrots on this thing to pack it full of people for 20 minutes out of every 3 hours, but it's basically shit from a design standpoint. Once the battle is over and I go out looking for Horde to fight to finish my "kill 20 guys" quest, which never fucking seems to increase, there's just nobody there. I know there's supposed to be this vibrant back and forth of dudes farming elementals or whatever, but bullshit, there's just nobody there.

Until I decide to stand around the main chamber and do battlegrounds, and there's 3 horde sending their pets in through the wall to attack me. Fucking clownshoes.

The benefit to playing on O is that you win and get victory tokens and the instance.  The benefit to playing on D is that you get to sit on a turret and fuck people up en masse for honor do like 3k damage to guys with 20k HP while seemingly getting no HKs.

FIFY. They needed to make these have a smaller AOE but more damage. As it is, I sit there going "If that mob of guys ignoring my fire were to stop and let me shoot them for a few minutes rather than running past, I might kill some of them!"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:06:10 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 02:07:41 AM

Once the battle is over and I go out looking for Horde to fight to finish my "kill 20 guys" quest, which never fucking seems to increase, there's just nobody there.

How can you not get that done during the battle itself? What are you doing? Hiding? It's the one quest I've never managed to not complete even if I just stand around picking my arse. Just have to follow the raid and you'll get the kills quicker than you can say ShamWow.

Managed to win while defending last night but it came down to some excellent defense and holding out until the 30 mins was up. Very much like Wintergrasp. It's not perfect but it is fun and I'm very glad it's limited to 30 minutes. The side quests about getting shields/arrows or whatever seem pointlessly tedious though.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 03:58:32 AM

He could not be in the raid(s), so it's hard to get credit that way.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 06:19:31 AM

He could not be in the raid(s), so it's hard to get credit that way.

Near impossible really.  If you don't get into a raid for WG then why bother?  Unless you can magically tag enemies before somebody in a 40 raid does, you'll get nada.

Get in a raid and you could just /dance and get all your requirements.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 06:45:14 AM

Now that I've gotten enough stonekeeper shards for what I wanted, actually, I think I'm done with it. Defense isn't even worth playing, which basically means it's 5 hours between worthwhile games, and I somehow rack up a bunch of HKs and go up in rank while my "kill 20 horde" quest sits at 0/20.

(Maybe I need to do more damage to them before they die? Hey you other 60 guys crammed into this courtyard, stop attacking MY horde!)

Doesn't your realm make raids for WG?  First thing people do upon entering on my realm is ask for invite to raid on /general.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 07:45:11 AM

I can pretty much find someone to kill at any time of day in Wintergrasp. Just mark where the titanium nodes are and you'll find a farmer in five minutes or so.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:11 AM

I'm in a raid of 40 people and I'm still incredibly lucky if I get kill credit 50% of the time.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 11:19:47 AM

Yeah I almost never am able to get the 20 kills, raid or not. That's why they're lowering it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 01, 2009, 11:54:41 AM

Simultaneously, the hairs on the back of Nevermore's neck stood on end, beads of sweat appeared on her forehead, and her brow furrowed.

“Perhaps you should try harder”, she said, putting on her robe and wizard's hat.

“Learn to play, noob”, frothed Nevermore, daintily stamping her foot in frustration.

As she left the Moonglade, Nevermore heard the lilting elvish melody descend from leaf, branch and bough:
~ ten' lle ier urra ar' lle ier cold / you ier uma ar' lle ier no / you ier e' ar' lle ier out / you ier de ar' lle ier ndu ~

Over and out.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:36 AM

Now that I've gotten enough stonekeeper shards for what I wanted, actually, I think I'm done with it. Defense isn't even worth playing, which basically means it's 5 hours between worthwhile games, and I somehow rack up a bunch of HKs and go up in rank while my "kill 20 horde" quest sits at 0/20.

(Maybe I need to do more damage to them before they die? Hey you other 60 guys crammed into this courtyard, stop attacking MY horde!)

The kill 20 enemies daily is bugged as hell, but they're supposedly fixing it in 3.1 and reducing the requirement down to 10 kills.

If nothing else WG is worth doing once per day on offense as you get 40g or so from the dailies and I net 4-7K honour for 20mins play, which isn't bad. Also the little vehicle is quite fun to motor around in.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #46 on: April 01, 2009, 12:10:40 PM

I do like the vehicles.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 05:49:16 PM

Necro.

So the way I understand it is that if you log out during the battle with rank, then don't log back in until the next battle, you retain that rank. Then you can stand at the shop building and parking vehicles. It's definitely something, because I'm really tired of seeing the Horde with 12/12 siege engines 90 seconds into every battle.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 05:57:46 PM

Necro.

So the way I understand it is that if you log out during the battle with rank, then don't log back in until the next battle, you retain that rank. Then you can stand at the shop building and parking vehicles. It's definitely something, because I'm really tired of seeing the Horde with 12/12 siege engines 90 seconds into every battle.

This should be fixed now. There is a 2 min cooldown on vehicle generation per person. IE: I make tank, can't make anything else for 2 minutes.

The actual rank bug should be fixed too, but I can't confirm or deny, just what I've heard.

Just have to avoid the horde for the first minute of the match when they zone in. To avoid that temporary tenacity inflation.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 06:04:45 PM

Necro.

I haven't played in a month or two, so this may have been fixed, but I know there was a pair of bugs doing this a while ago.  One was that it takes a minute for tenacity to "recalibrate" itself, and attackers can only portal in after the match has started (while defenders can portal in whenever they want to), so any attackers already in zone at the instant the match starts are given 20 tenacity for, say, 20 or 30 sec.  The other problem is that tenacity also speeds up your rank gains, so that with 20 tenacity you get rank 3 almost instantly.  I don't know if this still works with queuing and all that other jazz, though.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 06:07:14 PM

Tenacity inflation on start up is very much mitigated with the new Queue system, but it's still there. For the 30-60 seconds of a WG offense, I'll have tenacity 7.

Usually lets me kill 1-3 keep towers in that time before it reverts to zero.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

All I know is that it's REALLY obvious when nobody is exploiting, because it's the only time you ever see any enemy catapults at all.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 09, 2009, 06:28:57 AM

HAHA I am on alliance and I managed to have a 20 stack of tenacity once I had I think around 100k hp. Its really funny decimating people as a prot warrior I was pretty much an unkillable engine of destruction while it lasted. That said the queuing thing has fixed a lot of the issue usually the offense will get some tenacity to start with but it goes away usually before you can get to the fort and to much with it.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 07:12:09 AM

Lag on Earthen Ring in WG is so bad that it usually switches sides every fight.  Defenders can't hit what was there three seconds ago, so attackers can just roll right in and hit the orb.  Otherwise I think Horde are too organized and would own it most of the time.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:43 AM

Yeah I almost never am able to get the 20 kills, raid or not. That's why they're lowering it.

Maybe I'm lucky.  I have completed this quest every time I'm gotten it.  I put arrows into lots of targets, so that might be helping.  That and the horde on my server are terrible in WG 90% of the time. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:23 AM

Maybe I'm lucky.  I have completed this quest every time I'm gotten it.  I put arrows into lots of targets, so that might be helping.  That and the horde on my server are terrible in WG 90% of the time.

The forced grouping into raids fixed this.  It used to be problematic when you would have several small raids. parties, or individuals.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Wintergrasp  
Jump to: