Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: So I'm resubbing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So I'm resubbing  (Read 86022 times)
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

on: March 27, 2009, 10:10:22 PM

What with their being nothing to play right now that tweaks my interest, and hockey playoffs a while off, I said fuck it, I'm grabbing the xpac and headed back to EQ2.  Last time I was there I was on Nagafen with some RL friends, and that definately wasn't for me.  I'm going straight up PVE server this time.  That being said, what's a good one with decent population?
Also, last time I played a guardian and really liked it, but I want to change it up.  How are the pally and shadowknight classes.  I'm looking more to solo than to min max.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:10:23 AM

I've only gotten her to 38 or 39, but I love my little Arasai Shadowknight.  She's been rather tough in my solo journeys, though I have not played the other tank classes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:50:48 PM

I loved my SK when he was "underpowered", solo to 45 or 46. Now apparently it's the FotM, but I've been playing my wizard. SK is one of my favorite classes, along with monk and necro. I really like FD :) My pally is only like 22 and just coming into his own, but it feels slower to me, haven't really played him in years.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:06:27 AM

Pallies probably are compared to a SK.  The SK heals are smaller, but are all offensive drains.  Their spells are mostly DoTs, but they have the toughness to wait them out, and with their drains my SK was usually topped off on health at the end of a fight.

If you're played AoC, the Dark Templar is probably the closest analogous class in another game I can think of at the moment.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:33:16 AM

I should mention I play my SK with combat xp disabled and Masters of all my important spells, namely my ward and lifetaps. Just finished his suit of ebon, I should take him out for a stroll.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:55:13 AM

I'm up to lvl 21 and I am really digging this SK.  This is what the Dark Templar should have been like.  It is really helpful for solo play.  I forgot how enjoyable the pve was in this game.  On par with wow, I might even like it a little more.  The quests feel like a lot of work was put into them. 
So hows the xpac?  I'm no where nere lvled enough to pick it up yet, but I hear it's not bad. 

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:03 PM

I'm up to lvl 21 and I am really digging this SK.  This is what the Dark Templar should have been like.  It is really helpful for solo play.  I forgot how enjoyable the pve was in this game.  On par with wow, I might even like it a little more.  The quests feel like a lot of work was put into them. 
So hows the xpac?  I'm no where nere lvled enough to pick it up yet, but I hear it's not bad. 

The newest xpac is great - if you are 80. The prior xpac is good - if you are 1 (Timorous Deep) or 70 (Kunark).  The Kunark zones are a solo-fest. Kind of burned me out, actually.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:23:55 PM

Yeah, the solo stuff in Kunark has been cool. Too bad there are SO MANY no-trade quest rewards for other classes. Just give me cash, fer crissakes, what is my wizard going to do with this bag full of armor?

I'll probably get TSO this fall after I'm level 80.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 06:48:55 AM

Well, if you vendor it, the Kunark stuff is very very lucrative.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 07:16:02 AM

Oh wait you said vendor, not broker.

Yeah, but just give me the money rather than fill up my bag and make me go back to sell.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 08:03:50 PM

Ugh, I've hit a wall at 72. =/

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:09:02 AM

Emotional wall or can't find quests? If it's the latter, check the wikia and go to reference/quests/solotimelines and it should should you were the different quest hubs are. If I remember, there are a few that you don't get references to. Also at that level, if you have a solo friendly class, you should be able to go to fens.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 06:50:26 AM

Yeah, I sailed through 72 pretty quick, and almost 74 doing Fens. Had a couple "tough" nights where EQ2Map was broked and I couldn't see the quest icons on the minimap. I actually had to find the quest turn-ins, waaaaah. :)

I also started popping some of my vet rewards combat xp potions, because otherwise they'll just rot. Probably rot anyway on my alts, who I'm slow levelling (no combat xp, also turned off quest xp on my SK).
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:31 PM

Ugh, I've hit a wall at 72. =/

Soloing in Kunark can drive you mad, but it is the fastest way to level by a long shot.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 07:33:32 AM

It's funny how diametrically opposite our playstyles are, yet we both enjoy the same game.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:01 AM

I used to be ok with soloing. Not sure what changed, but I know that going from 55-70 as fast I as I could to get raid capable was the "when".  Now, if I am not in a group or raid with Ventrilo banter going, I just want to log off.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:36:42 AM

I used to be ok with soloing. Not sure what changed, but I know that going from 55-70 as fast I as I could to get raid capable was the "when".  Now, if I am not in a group or raid with Ventrilo banter going, I just want to log off.

That's pretty much me. Raids Tue/Wed/Sat, log in at 7:45, raid starts at 8, if we're not done called at 11. And that's pretty much all I play.

Actually it describes all the core raiders in my guild I think.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 09:32:03 AM

I don't have that kind of time available. RL always takes precedence, and saturday night is spent with my fiancee, not gaming. Maybe a little after she leaves, but that's not something I can schedule around. Also, I would do a little on tuesdays, but that assumes she works late but her two late days shift every week. And tuesdays is also a night I could go play guitar with some guys. So are some wednesdays and some thursdays. On nights I do log in, I might play for a half-hour, I might play for three.

I've raided a couple times, but I just don't have the schedule for it...and it was the most structured, boring thing I could imagine. Sit here, do this, don't do that, rinse, repeat. Everything foreknown and plotted out, and damn you if you haven't learned it ahead of time. I really don't get why people like that gameplay so much, besides the loot being slightly more interesting.

And ventrilo, I play EQ2 to relax and get away from people talking :) I don't mind some light texting, but I talk to people all day, the only person I want to talk to at night is my fiancee or my cat...
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 10:41:47 AM

I don't mind vent on raids because I know the people. I don't like voice in PUGs--people can make idiots of themselves and irritate me enough in text without voice being added in.

Our night is fridays, we relax after the week and veg. My guilds saturday raid is early to allow the more social to go out afterwards.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 06:26:29 PM

Whats the expansion about?  The one on the main EQ2 page?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 06:10:43 AM

The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)? It added a couple of rather irritating overland/quest zones that are mostly for getting AA and are mostly empty. Very much the "sprinkle mobs so that every single square inch is within aggro range of something" type of thing with some fairly lackluster quests.

It also brought a bunch of new dungeons and a few raids that work on a "shard" system where you collect shards for doing the instances and trade it for some armor that's really better than most of what you can get on raids. The instances are for the most part very difficult and closer to 6 person raids than the usual run around kill the bosses tank and spank stuff. There are daily quests for extra shards (the DD or daily double).

It also opened up "shadow" AA lines, which have some really wonderful toys in them, but require an insane amount of AA xp to really utilize. However, that's led to a renaissance in mentoring and old raids for the AA xp. Our guild spends at least one night a week doing 30ish to 50ish stuff. Works out great, we get AA, and our lower level members rocket up a few levels between the speed and bonus for mentoring.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 10:40:56 PM

The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)? It added a couple of rather irritating overland/quest zones that are mostly for getting AA and are mostly empty. Very much the "sprinkle mobs so that every single square inch is within aggro range of something" type of thing with some fairly lackluster quests.

It also brought a bunch of new dungeons and a few raids that work on a "shard" system where you collect shards for doing the instances and trade it for some armor that's really better than most of what you can get on raids. The instances are for the most part very difficult and closer to 6 person raids than the usual run around kill the bosses tank and spank stuff. There are daily quests for extra shards (the DD or daily double).

It also opened up "shadow" AA lines, which have some really wonderful toys in them, but require an insane amount of AA xp to really utilize. However, that's led to a renaissance in mentoring and old raids for the AA xp. Our guild spends at least one night a week doing 30ish to 50ish stuff. Works out great, we get AA, and our lower level members rocket up a few levels between the speed and bonus for mentoring.

Awesome.  Any level 80s on Antonica Bayle out there who would like to mento a level 24 pally??? Heartbreak

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:53 PM

What's your char name on AB?  I play there currently as part of the guild Safe Haven.  Main char is Darema (dirge), but I also have Dareka (monk) and Soulrider (fury). 

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:41 PM

Resubbed - plan is to play a rat swashbuckler.  Since its been so long I am just gonna start fresh - no idea what server or whatnot.  Still downloading the game, will create a thread once I begin.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 10:47:56 AM

Resubbed - plan is to play a rat swashbuckler.  Since its been so long I am just gonna start fresh - no idea what server or whatnot.  Still downloading the game, will create a thread once I begin.

You can be a rat brigand and then betray, if that's what you mean.  Swashy is on the good side. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:49 PM

You can be a rat brigand and then betray, if that's what you mean.  Swashy is on the good side. 

Yup, thats the plan.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 12:48:54 PM

Oh EQ2.  Its been sooo long!  I have a Monk on a some server (not sure which) that I oh so LOVED!  I'm subbing to Warhammer as soon as I finish up this buddy key.  That is fast, furious, and fun PvP (or RvR as they call it).

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 12:55:06 PM

wat
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 04:05:22 PM

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 04:23:36 PM

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:35 PM

If you don't know the trick to betrayal, betray to kelethin, use basic biodiversity quest to grind faction, cancel and retake until you get orcs, kill 3 20 seconds away on orc hill, rinse and repeat. Takes me about 45 minutes.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 04:19:37 AM

If you don't know the trick to betrayal, betray to kelethin, use basic biodiversity quest to grind faction, cancel and retake until you get orcs, kill 3 20 seconds away on orc hill, rinse and repeat. Takes me about 45 minutes.
Thanks for the advice.  I was grinding out the crappy Qeynos ones in Freeport and almost said fuck this.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 04:25:54 AM

There's a corresponding quest in neriak that's not quite as ludicrous easy, but pretty close. Nothing beats the orc one, I've always been surprised they didn't nerf it.

If you want to switch to Qeynos and I usually do because I can't find anything in Kelethin, the qeynos citizenship quest takes about half an hour. You run to antonica twice and then run around the city. Pick it up outside the mage tower.

I have a flock of white mice alts cheerfully living in Qeynos.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 04:51:11 AM

Changed my mind on the rat thing - I  am gonna try an Ogre Warden.  I am still betraying; something about an Ogre in the good city just makes me smile!

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 06:07:11 AM

There was an ogre warden in our raid last night. Except they had a dark elf illusion on all the time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: So I'm resubbing  
Jump to: