Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Kings 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kings  (Read 10879 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

on: March 15, 2009, 08:36:56 PM

Not a bad opening.  A bit cheesy, but still very watchable.

/discuss
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:47:33 AM

Final scene was retartedly heavy handed and cheesy. Needed more use of the term cock sucker. Every member of the royal family has a completely different accent. Oh, and I kept expecting the king's right hand man/general to start spouting out cryptic fortune cookie style advice.

I'll probably watch again next week, but I'm going to watch Dollhouse again as well, so my opinion doesn't mean much.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:14:51 AM

Definitely an intriguing premise, so I'm hoping this will turn out well.  There's lots of interesting places I think this show can go to, but there's also a risk of it devolving into a soap, or being too heavy handed with its allegory.  Yeah, that scene with the butterflies was a tad much.  Overall, I enjoyed the pilot enough to be rooting for its success.

Ian McShane can do no wrong.  I've never seen Deadwood, but everything else I've seen him in, even schlocky stuff like Death Race, he commands the screen.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:52 AM

Definitely an intriguing premise, so I'm hoping this will turn out well.  There's lots of interesting places I think this show can go to, but there's also a risk of it devolving into a soap, or being too heavy handed with its allegory.  Yeah, that scene with the butterflies was a tad much.  Overall, I enjoyed the pilot enough to be rooting for its success.

Ian McShane can do no wrong.  I've never seen Deadwood, but everything else I've seen him in, even schlocky stuff like Death Race, he commands the screen.

You, sir, need to go out and get yourself some Deadwood.  Now, cocksucker!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:20:31 AM

I actually liked that final scene, because I'd been pretty sure that Silas's story about miraculous butterflies was complete bullshit, and then suddenly it wasn't.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

I have this on my DVR, havent watched it yet, but I saw a promo for it that said, "brought to you by the writers from Heroes and the producer of I Am Legend". My hopes sunk.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:14:36 PM

I actually liked that final scene, because I'd been pretty sure that Silas's story about miraculous butterflies was complete bullshit, and then suddenly it wasn't.

Me too, I don't see how they could attempt to retell this story without God being a major part of it.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02:04 PM

Lol, I didn't even get the incredibly obvious Biblical reference until you said that.   swamp poop  <- me

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 02:58:58 AM

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:31:36 AM

Finally got around to watching this show and have to say that it is quite well done. 

It could go horribly wrong if they focus on the biblical angle too much or take the homosexuals are bad plot point to an extreme; but so far so good.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:26 AM

Finally got around to watching this show and have to say that it is quite well done. 

It could go horribly wrong if they focus on the biblical angle too much or take the homosexuals are bad plot point to an extreme; but so far so good.

In my view the biblical part makes it interesting, otherwise it's just Dallas with JR and Bobby fighting over Ewing oil.  The homosexuals are bad plot isn't something I see happening.
Latest episode was pretty good, shame it looks like this might only get a 13 episode run.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 01:46:16 AM

Another good episode, not quite as good as with Brian Cox last week but still very powerful.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:51:33 AM by Arthur_Parker »
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 06:34:27 AM

NBC rumored to close to killing kings. :(
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 08:07:13 AM

With the timeslot they gave it I'm not surprised.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 11:51:33 AM

I'm enjoying this more than anything else on TV at the moment, I just hope all 13 parts get broadcast.  Given the title of the last episode, one series is fine, Ian McShane steals the show anyway.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 07:52:12 PM

NBC rumored to close to killing kings. :(

Nooooooooooooooooo.

I love this show.  Best new show I've seen in awhile.  It was a bit weird, though, watching the first episode - to see Ian McShane without one "cocksucker."
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:18 AM

You knew it was coming: Kings is getting banished to Saturday night starting April 18th.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 10:55:42 AM

You knew it was coming: Kings is getting banished to Saturday night starting April 18th.

15th - 6.47mil (premiere)
22nd - 4.52mil
29th - 4.58mil
5th - 3.64mil

Been watching it and I will miss it. Some of the scene's are shot so well.

Edit: It makes me sick a repeat of exteme makeover doubled it's viewers  ACK!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:57:28 AM by fuser »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:27 AM

I'm actually more likely to watch it on Saturday.  Too much competition on Sunday.  I've just been watching it on Hulu.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:12:34 AM

I'm actually more likely to watch it on Saturday.  Too much competition on Sunday.  I've just been watching it on Hulu.

I just watch everything on Hulu. 

Shame about the show.  But I will be excited if they pull a single season awesomeness.  It's happened before (Rome).
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 05:59:20 AM

I wish TiVo got Hulu.  Netflix on TiVo is very nice, though.  Hulu's awesome, I just hate to sit at my computer to watch.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 12:34:34 PM

I just watch everything on Hulu. 

You are part of the problem.

awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 06:59:57 PM

Now, riddle me this.  Shouldn't watching a show on Hulu actually do a lot more good for that show than watching it over the air, assuming you're not a Nielsen family and the network has no way to know what you're watching via broadcast?  I assume Hulu gives them stats on how many times their shows have been watched on there, and they probably even get ad revenue that's directly proportionate to those numbers.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 07:08:48 PM

Rumor has it, no.  Only original over-the-air broadcasts count, because Hulu doesn't have enough commercials to matter, AND takes a cut of the revenue for itself.   Watching on the network's sites doesn't count either, because they too have limited commercials.  Remember, network shows are about revenue through eyeballs on ads first, and entertainment second.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 07:30:05 PM

Hulu is a joint venture between FOX and NBC. They probably prefer it if you watch it on there cause it allows them to screw over the actors and screenwriters.

Edit: I mean screw over more than they already do
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:32:25 PM by Trippy »
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 08:55:44 PM

Rumor has it, no.  Only original over-the-air broadcasts count, because Hulu doesn't have enough commercials to matter, AND takes a cut of the revenue for itself.   Watching on the network's sites doesn't count either, because they too have limited commercials.  Remember, network shows are about revenue through eyeballs on ads first, and entertainment second.
Wouldn't that still count at least a little, as someone who isn't a Neilsen viewer?  Sure, not as much, for the reasons you listed, but better than zero?

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 09:01:34 PM

What bugs me is that it's taking time off after four episodes. Sure, it's about two or three weeks, but that, combined with the move to the new slot doesn't bode well.

Same thing happened to Jericho (well, not the same), but it seems that breaks = probably bad for any new series.

I wish ondemand/online type shows became simply another bit of how we got our media. I guess the big problem is figuring out how to make the dough off the shows -- aside from the stupid micropayment shit on the Xbox video marketplace. I might pay a flat rate to see an entire "season" of a show after a free pilot, but paying for each show seems a bit weak.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 05:20:51 PM

Wouldn't that still count at least a little, as someone who isn't a Neilsen viewer?  Sure, not as much, for the reasons you listed, but better than zero?

All I know is what I've read from people who follow TV like Schild follows games.  I don't do the analysis myself, but here's a good article about it.

Ed: THEN you also have to apply the inherent weakness in internet advertising.  You get real numbers on how many people have clicked-through or followed-up on the ads.  With network advertising it's still a game of fairy farts and wishful thinking in terms of finding out how many people follow-up on ads they see.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:22:56 PM by Merusk »

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 05:55:01 AM

I read here that Kings has been cancelled.  Too bad, I love Ian McShane.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 10:56:31 AM

I read here that Kings has been cancelled.  Too bad, I love Ian McShane.

Dicks.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 12:06:39 PM

Eh, it was no Deadwood. Won't be missed.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 12:55:49 PM

I just gotta necro to this thread to say how biblically bad the series is crashing in ratings. The 4th was a new episode after back from hiatus.

July 4th overnight
Kings 0.3rating, 1share, 1.30mil viewers
Wipeout (repeat) 0.8rating, 4share, 2.59mil viewers
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 01:02:07 PM

It was a stupid premise. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:43 PM

The show is already cancelled. NBC is just showing the remaining unaired episodes now during the Summer cause they don't care about the ratings during this period.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 02:05:59 PM

It's a shame because I've been enjoying it more and more.  Are there any episodes left?  Last night's felt like a season finale.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Kings  
Jump to: