Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Estimates at below 100k subs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estimates at below 100k subs  (Read 7911 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: February 23, 2009, 09:45:39 AM

In an article about financials which included references to the earlier resignation of a co-founder and the server consoldation from 49 to 18.

Extract:

While Funcom's cash position remains robust at USD 39.4 million, the company reported a full-year net loss of USD 33.8 million. According to estimates by DnB NOR Markets, subscriber levels for Age of Conan are below 100,000, reports E24.

However, revenues in the fourth quarter of 2008 rose to USD 8.7 million, up from USD 1.2 million year-on-year, due to subscription revenues from the MMO.

Shortly after Age of Conan launched, Funcom saw subscriber levels of 400,000, which rocketed up to 700,000 within a few months.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

Wouldn't they be talking shutdown at this point if it was so bad?

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:04:05 PM

They're not US based.  There may not be the same benefits from shuttering an MMO to them as there are to keep it running as best they can.

It's not as if AO had a huge crowd, and maybe they're looking towards their neighbors at CCP with EVE.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:47 PM

It has been said before but if they fixed itemization so it made sense and changed the inventory screen from that horrible UI where a bottle and a shield take up the same space, I MIGHT come back.

I have never played WoW.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:13:02 AM

If they changed to a Diablo-like tetris-inventory I would never come back. At the moment I'm just waiting to hear that they've polished their quest progression in levels 20-80 to be as good as levels 1-20.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:35:58 AM

I tried the game again a few weeks ago and it has alot of the same end game issues as when it went live, which is basically nothing to do at 80.  Itemization definitely needs fixing, but what do you do at 80 if you arent in a raid guild?  Even if you are in a raid guild there are limited dungeons to even do period.  Fixing itemization is 1 good fix but they need to add a major end game xpac, then I would consider it again. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:22:41 PM

I kinda wish SOE would add this to the Station Pass  awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:45:09 AM

Why don't you people understand that this game is goooooooood! Dammit!

/nerdrage

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 11:41:31 AM

Because it's not $15 a month goooooooood when I've got other things to play!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:03:47 PM

Extract:
While Funcom's cash position remains robust at USD 39.4 million, the company reported a full-year net loss of USD 33.8 million. According to estimates by DnB NOR Markets, subscriber levels for Age of Conan are below 100,000, reports E24.

Straight to the source and Google translate: E24.

"Age of Conan Funcom sends in less juicy."
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 04:58:04 PM

The barriers to entry are ridiculous. I reinstalled it and so far the patch downloader is currently on its THIRD GIGABYTE of patches. There could be more after that. And there's nowhere else to download them except the patcher.

The patcher got interrupted with 500Mb to go when a motherboard utility froze the machine. Instead of clearly resuming the download, the patcher now says it is downloading a 500Mb patch. I have no idea whether this is a different patch, or the final 500Mb of the interrupted patch, or what's going to happen when this finishes.

Note to Funcom and the people who like this game: impenetrable fortresses are not good shopfronts.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 05:53:39 PM

It did turn out to be the final 500Mb. Now there's a new problem.

Reactivated my account and it says:
Account status: Open
Playable: Playable

When I try to login I get "Account Frozen. use the Manage Account button for information on how to reactivate your account or add more gametime. (23)".

"Fuck off, we don't want customers" x2.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 06:14:12 PM

Not sure if the issue you're experiencing is the same, but it apparently takes some time (tm) for the servers to actually recognize people's accounts as "Open and Playable" after activation/re-activation. :(
I don't know how long ago you activated yours, but if it has been less than an hour, you should try again after the hour-mark has passed.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:13 PM

Not sure if the issue you're experiencing is the same, but it apparently takes some time (tm) for the servers to actually recognize people's accounts as "Open and Playable" after activation/re-activation. :(
I don't know how long ago you activated yours, but if it has been less than an hour, you should try again after the hour-mark has passed.

Yes, that's what happened. Surely it's not hard to tell the customer this at the point of activation? Also a certain game handling 11.5 million accounts requires no time (tm).
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:27:57 AM

Yes, that's what happened. Surely it's not hard to tell the customer this at the point of activation? Also a certain game handling 11.5 million accounts requires no time (tm).

This is why the MMOG industry never learns. You got two "fuck you"s and yet you kept going.  Most of us are guilty of this.

I have never played WoW.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 05:59:28 PM

I had to keep going after the download "fuck you" because in Australia internet accounts are download-charged. I pay for a 25Gb/month account and I spent 3Gb of it patching this. Had to get my money's worth.

I had to keep going after the account "fuck you" because I had just paid to reactivate. Wanted my money's worth.

But I put the account into a cancelled state again, as soon as it activated.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 02:54:30 AM

So what's the verdict? OMG! It's so brown WoW is better damn Failcom they don't know shit zomgcopter suxx suxx combat is old pvp is gankfest i quit dammit I quit?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 01:07:48 PM

You want a verdict on a MMORPG after two days?

So far I didn't notice any difference between the last time I played it and now. Same game. I stopped at level 42 on a PvE server during the AoC boom due to lack of time, always meant to play again, but everybody quit the game before I had a chance. We picked the server thinking the ruleset would provide PvP without the stupid, but this has become a game where PvP servers are better. You'll want me to go back and start at level 1 again on a more populated server, which would kind of suck.

Haven't played WoW for two years. Except for a few hours where I tried WotLK and thought "same old, same old". I reinstalled AoC on the weekend because I was sick at home and going stir crazy, but any future playing time depends on real life workload.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:17 AM

Sorry Tale I got it wrong. I read the last line of your message as if you canceled/uninstalled just right after getting in (I got it right now).

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 04:36:38 PM

There is still no free trial. right ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 05:13:43 AM

Nope, free trials and comeback programmes will be activated with the next path, most likely in May.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Estimates at below 100k subs  
Jump to: