Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: What Not to Wear 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Not to Wear  (Read 2812 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

on: February 10, 2009, 09:27:29 AM

Jesus Christ, my mind has been corrupted by this shit.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:34:11 AM

US or UK version?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:14 AM

US version on TLC. This is what I get for not fighting for the remote control. Now I'm watching it myself.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:39:00 AM

MY GF watches this all the time and I could probably watch it if I could just see the before and after segments. Its just like that extreme home makeover show. I could really care less about the human interest/sob story parts of the show but always want to see the reveal.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:49:30 PM

The US version is horrible, but I rather like the UK version.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 03:27:30 AM

I'm assuming the main difference is the hosts?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:30 PM

I thought the British series was far more about actually finding out what looks good on you and about accepting your body and its eccentricities. Not in the pseudo-feminist "fuck society's views of beauty, wear what you want and not wanting to be 400 pounds is weight-ism" but in the sense that beauty as society defines it is largely artificial and that anyone can look good if they're wearing stuff that works with what they have.

One of the hosts of the British size is curvy and the other is a stick bordering on unhealthfully thin. So they presented models of people with different shapes who both looked good.

I thought the US version was mostly just a makeover giveaway thing.

I'm not sure guys would really catch the difference though.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:46:44 PM

Hmm, well I can kind of see what you're saying. Heh.. can't believe I'm getting into this, but yeah, they do look for ways accentuate traditional "beauty" forms. I don't see anything wrong with that though. If you're wide, umm... they say vertical stripes are good. If you have small breasts, then finding a dress that boosts up the bust is good. Etc.. Some women are merely wearing things that are oversized, or not mix matching though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:49 PM

I watched it for a few minutes before I had to leave the room and reclaim my manliness in some way.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:15:08 PM

Clothing is an interesting phenomenon though. I'll just look at it that way. I think I'm pretty good at seeing someone's natural beauty, even if it's some disheveled housewife in a sports sweatshirt. But some of the "makeovers" surprise me. Some of them are big improvements.

Or for myself, I can see how attitudes change a bit depending on how I'm dressed. I don't think I'm all too sloppy, but sometimes a bit dark, I guess. For better or worse, it colors people's perceptions, I think? If I wear something more bright, especially dress shirts, then all of the sudden I'm attracting different types of women. Or hell, people think your mood changes too. A couple of weeks ago, for example, I was pretty damn bummed out about a few things... I decided to head out somewhere though, and one of my only clean shirts was some designer button up I rarely wear. And the people I hung out with kept commenting on how I looked and that I seemed really "happy". When nothing could be further from the truth.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:41 AM

Was the UK version of this the one with Trinny and Susannah? The pair that inform people what they're wearing looks horrible on them and they cannot possibly get away with it ever? They could be pretty harsh but I'll admit to actually finding it kind of interesting to see a few of the general 'rules' regarding what works and doesn't.

I will also say I like to wear a suit into the department every now and again. I get funny looks since the staff members mostly wear t-shirts and jeans but I actually enjoy looking smart, it makes me feel good and helps me work (or at least look like I'm working I guess).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: What Not to Wear  
Jump to: