Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333819 times)
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 04, 2009, 10:34:37 PM

I mean I don't even have my gaming PC turned ON for 3.5 hours a day.
You may just be a foreign creature to me and mine

I wonder how long it'd take me to patch my WoW disks up to date. I know I'd count it in hours and not minutes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:37:23 PM by ashrik »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 04, 2009, 10:55:00 PM

WoW is definitively in the hour+ range, at the best of times.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 10:58:25 PM

Lum's take on it is pretty apt. It is the final fuck you, lay them off and then post up on the website that they weren't really very important.

Lum's take on it is pretty much my answer to sam, an eggplant's many posts in the MMO recruiter thread. A job is not worth your life, family, etc since we're all ultimately disposable and replacable workers, no matter how knowledgable or skilled we are (or like to think we are).

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:50 AM

I'm hoping she's going to Cryptic.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 03:15:46 AM

WoW is definitively in the hour+ range, at the best of times.

Except it was never really a horrible fucking train wreck of bad game design.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 05, 2009, 03:52:50 AM

Tome of Knowledge was a fun bit of fluff. WAR doesn't need fun, it has serious business.

WAR is a strange case of some kind of inverse software development methodology. It has no fun inside the game and all the fucken clowns like Paul Barnett outside the game.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 05, 2009, 03:56:51 AM

Paul Barnett doesn't add anything though. I don't even know how he got into gaming. Seems his previous career was snake oil salesman. What a damn worm.

I think you could find someone like him in any company. Some people (morons) find his type of personality charming, can't see past the charm, and hire them.

heh, as I wrote in other thread I'm a moron in this case. :)
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:12 AM

It took me 3.5 hours to install EQ2 the other night.  This was from the disks of the latest expansion mind you.  That's fucking crazy long.

Eeeegads anyone want to reminisce when they first installed Final Fantasy Online and set up their play online account and their game account. You warned people it took that long to install they just looked at you like you were daft.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 05, 2009, 05:48:39 AM

It took me 3.5 hours to install EQ2 the other night.  This was from the disks of the latest expansion mind you.  That's fucking crazy long.

Eeeegads anyone want to reminisce when they first installed Final Fantasy Online and set up their play online account and their game account. You warned people it took that long to install they just looked at you like you were daft.

Oh, I can attest to that. I vividly remember the day. Something had borked my XP install so I did restored from disc and planned to re-install FFXI that afternoon and be up and playing with my buddies at the weekly afterschool LAN party. Started at 3:15pm. Ended at 8. By that time they were done and packing up to head home.  Stupidest godsdamn patcher I ever saw.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:57 AM

Oh, I can attest to that. I vividly remember the day. Something had borked my XP install so I did restored from disc and planned to re-install FFXI that afternoon and be up and playing with my buddies at the weekly afterschool LAN party. Started at 3:15pm. Ended at 8. By that time they were done and packing up to head home.  Stupidest godsdamn patcher I ever saw.

FFXI's patcher prepares you for the gameplay!  why so serious?

waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 05, 2009, 06:41:43 AM

Q1-2009 will tell the real story because by then the people who quit after their free 30 days and up to 3 month pre-pays will be out of the system. My best guess is that War will be in the 150k-225k range, but that's split over 2 continental server clusters so the game will continue to feel small. Many people will give a dev studio 90 paid days to get itself right, but then after that the game rapidly falls of a cliff if its not fun. AOC had 415K subs after its first 90 days, and before the next 90 days were up they downsized to 8 or 9 retail servers.

No one buys Mythic's spin on the fact the game released and they don't need so much extra help. The fact that Mark posts his BS and won't face the truth just continues to reinforce to people that Mythic is way out of touch. That's like the big Jan 29th announcement that then turned into a vague 6 month plan, and then they came back here to tell us that was their plan all along.

This game could be great if they implemented the major and reoccurring recommendations that have shown up everywhere about the boring leveling, the over emphasis on PVE to obtain gear, the dumb zone control scheme, the PVE part to move capital city assaults forward and the 5 sets of gear needed just to survive mobs, and the total unrewarding experience you get for ranking up your guild. I mean who needs a ride to mount gunbad at Guild Rank 29? Hello?

If they don't fix the game they get what they deserve, and Warhammer will haunt Mythic so bad that they will end up making niche games. Their days as a big studio will be over if they don't quickly turn around the Titanic known as Warhammer, especially after all that hype Mark Jacobs did.

I want Warhammer to succeed, but if they keep ignoring the wishes of their customers then they get what they deserve.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Felgercarb
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:43 AM

If WAR drops below 250k subs EA will drop them like a red headed step slayer. What I really want to know is what is going to happen to Bioware when SWTOR doesn't meet expectations either?  ACK!
schild
Administrator

Reply #82 on: February 05, 2009, 08:37:02 AM

If WAR drops below 250k subs EA will drop them like a red headed step slayer. What I really want to know is what is going to happen to Bioware when SWTOR doesn't meet expectations either?  ACK!
Bioware Austin would get shut down or skeleton crewed at the Pogo office. EA ain't letting go of licenses like Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect. They're cutthroat, but not stupid. Not to mention they probably treat Bioware Austin as independent from Bioware Edmonton.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #83 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:05 AM

Well, at least I'm getting my money's worth out of rubbernecking this trainwreck.  Watching the flames is more fun than playing the game. awesome, for real
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: February 05, 2009, 11:42:10 AM

Well, at least I'm getting my money's worth out of rubbernecking this trainwreck.  Watching the flames is more fun than playing the game. awesome, for real

Reading threads is more fun than the actual game? Looks like WAR is entering Eve territory!
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:02 PM

nm, new paul video has already been posted on the other thread.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:15:51 PM by waffel »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #86 on: February 05, 2009, 01:49:44 PM

Maybe Blizzard can hire her so she can put a similar thing in for WoW.

If that happens, I will need a new pair of pants.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 05, 2009, 02:45:29 PM

Maybe Blizzard can hire her so she can put a similar thing in for WoW.

If that happens, I will need a new pair of pants.
And socks. Lots of socks!

Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:54 AM

Paul Barnett doesn't add anything though. I don't even know how he got into gaming. Seems his previous career was snake oil salesman. What a damn worm.

Actually I think he even damages WAR / Mythic with his public appearnce on youtube/blogs etc....
A lot of people are disappointed, because WAR did not deliver a great game at launch. And a lot of people see Paul as being one responsible for hyping the game pre-launch.
He didn't change his behaviour after launch and does in his public appearance not take into consideration, that there have been a lot of staff-cutting taking place at Mythic right now.

So for me people think his either a clown or a stupid, ignorant pile of sh**.
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:23 AM

I've always liked Paul. I think you take him far too seriously.

Not sure I care for Mark Jacobs though, he seems odd
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:55 PM

Paul Barnett has given me one thing: a metric for measuring personal worth.

For instance, if you look at Paul's two infamous youtube clips where he dumps on employees and think, "Man, what the fuck? That's not appropriate at all." then you're probably a) employed with a b) family and over the age of c) 25.

If, on the other hand, you look at them and say, "I've always liked Paul. I think you take him far too seriously." then a) you probably think quoting the Knights Who Say Ni is the height of humor, b) have at least one (1) shirt with a wolf on it and c) fuck you.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:06:44 PM by Modern Angel »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

I think we rather have the opposite view.  We don't take Paul seriously at all.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 06, 2009, 01:33:57 PM

b) have at least one (1) shirt with a wolf on it and c) fuck you.

Part of me wants to say fatality due to how true this is.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 06, 2009, 02:40:04 PM

Truth comes in harsh servings.

SeaCell
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 06, 2009, 03:56:48 PM

Actually I think he even damages WAR / Mythic with his public appearnce on youtube/blogs etc....
A lot of people are disappointed, because WAR did not deliver a great game at launch. And a lot of people see Paul as being one responsible for hyping the game pre-launch.
He didn't change his behaviour after launch and does in his public appearance not take into consideration, that there have been a lot of staff-cutting taking place at Mythic right now.

So for me people think his either a clown or a stupid, ignorant pile of sh**.

Carbon copy of Age of Conan's Side Show Barker Erling Ellingsen, he still hasn't learned to tone down his hype post-failure.
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 07, 2009, 05:12:37 AM

I haven't seen any youtube clips where he dumps on employees. Unless you mean the one where he rips on one of his friends (right next to him) and then lets the guy pie him in the next video.  It's very clownshoes yeah, but I don't mind that. Why would I?  Paul have been acting like that since they first started making videos years ago, so maybe I was just used to it?  Or maybe I just missed a critical asshattery video with him in it somewhere. As for how he is professionally, I won't even pretend to know how he works/acts when there are no cameras around, because I have no idea.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:39:25 AM by Zzulo »
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: February 07, 2009, 08:44:53 AM

Paul is merely a symptom of a greater problem: the company's image.  It's trying to portray itself as the "hardcore" version if Blizzard.  Think of the comment comparing WAR to WoW as Led Zepplin and the Beatles.  It "low key" studio that focuses more on the games and less on the businees, so it's a cool place to work.  The thing with Blizzard is that is pretty much hwo they have always portrayed themselves (at least to me), but they also have legions of fans and multiple products, so they have the business to back up their image.  Mythic, on, the other hand doesn't have nearly the product line, and this image is nothing but a smoke screen and hype building.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 08, 2009, 05:24:23 AM

It's as others have said: they haven't changed their message with the state of the game.

Of course we don't expect them to go all emo and cry on podcasts and shit. But they still think there's an audience for the same hype they were spewing back last February, when those videos were (supposedly) stoking some people.

I suspect it is entirely because they don't know any better. They only POST at VN, they don't actually READ VN, nor anywhere else, so the only audience they really know about are the ones playing the game itself. This too would be just like DAoC. MJ has said about DAoC that the only people he really cares about are the ones still playing. So in this case they probably think those who are still playing are still buying into the same message that got them there in the first place.
TianZi
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 13, 2009, 08:58:41 AM

FYI for the omniscient denizens of F13, Paul Barnett was seconded to EA Mythic by Games Workshop. In other words, he ultimately reported to GW, not Mark Jacobs or the CEO of EA Mythic (which Mark is not).

Barnett disclosed some time ago that he would be returning to GW after WAR's launch. His sole responsibility while working with the staff of EA Mythic was to ensure that the game's content was consistent with the Warhammer IP, e.g. the appearance of the Chosen in WAR should be consistent with how GW has depicted Chosen in the past. He had nothing to do with the core design of the game.

You might also have noticed, if observant (which the lot of you clearly aren't), that GW retained full title and ownership of, and to, the Warhammer Online IPR. EA Mythic / EA only has a license for it. You might have remembered the demise of the prior incarnation of Warhammer Online, and how GW handled that, but alas, you have short memories and tunnel vision. Petulant children, the lot of you.

Perhaps now you understand better why Paul seemed like a "loose cannon." Or more likely, you don't.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:06:32 AM by TianZi »
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 13, 2009, 09:52:24 AM

So you're saying that because he doesn't work for Mythic, it's OK for him to be a douchebag?

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 13, 2009, 09:56:48 AM

Nvm. tongue

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:00:00 AM by Tarami »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 13, 2009, 10:02:11 AM

FYI for the omniscient denizens of F13, Paul Barnett was seconded to EA Mythic by Games Workshop. In other words, he ultimately reported to GW, not Mark Jacobs or the CEO of EA Mythic (which Mark is not).

Barnett disclosed some time ago that he would be returning to GW after WAR's launch. His sole responsibility while working with the staff of EA Mythic was to ensure that the game's content was consistent with the Warhammer IP, e.g. the appearance of the Chosen in WAR should be consistent with how GW has depicted Chosen in the past. He had nothing to do with the core design of the game.

You might also have noticed, if observant (which the lot of you clearly aren't), that GW retained full title and ownership of, and to, the Warhammer Online IPR. EA Mythic / EA only has a license for it. You might have remembered the demise of the prior incarnation of Warhammer Online, and how GW handled that, but alas, you have short memories and tunnel vision. Petulant children, the lot of you.

Perhaps now you understand better why Paul seemed like a "loose cannon." Or more likely, you don't.

I hope you die.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #102 on: February 13, 2009, 10:03:32 AM

The man is an unprofessional fucking clown. Are you suggesting GW think a clown should be the primary promoter of one of, by extension, their products?

I see you've never dealt with Games Workshop. Petulant, unprofessional assclowns are the very definition of GW people.

Barnett is a douchebag no matter who he reports to. Jacobs is a douchebag for letting him continue to embarrass the company.

schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: February 13, 2009, 10:03:54 AM

What the fuck has that got to do with the price of tea in China?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 13, 2009, 10:12:14 AM

I see you've never dealt with Games Workshop. Petulant, unprofessional assclowns are the very definition of GW people.

Barnett is a douchebag no matter who he reports to. Jacobs is a douchebag for letting him continue to embarrass the company.

I will repeat what I said months and months ago when I still thought WAR might be keen: I hated that fucker the first time I saw one of his podcasts because he is straight up what GW demands of their employees. He was my manager when I worked there, he was the district manager, he was the designer... I knew exactly what he was going to say before he said it every single time.

He's King fucking Fatbeard with a bunch of fawning lesser Fatbeards in his court giggling with an attaboy every time he opens his mouth to take out his frustration at not banging the cheerleader at age 16 on a subordinate. He's the rules lawyer at the 40k table at your local gaming store impressing 13 year olds with his depth of Terminator armor suit knowledge. He's the Simpsons Comic Book Guy with a seemingly respectable job being enabled by a thousand sad fucks for whom the idea of a conversation *not* centering around Buffy the Vampire Slayer is anathema.

I've had a zillion nerdy jobs in my lifetime. Local gaming store manager, assistant manager at a Games Workshop store, QA at an MMO studio... in each and every instance there was a Paul Barnett, a person so cripplingly unable to deal with the real world it bordered on sad but all the more frustrating because he or she was deemed Alpha Nerd by people even sadder. There's a million Paul Barnetts. Neither he nor his special brand of loud stupidity is impressive. What IS impressive is that he made it out of the local gaming store and onto my fucking computer; that is most assuredly on Mythic's table.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: