Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  (Read 251845 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: July 03, 2009, 04:45:35 PM

Someone want to give us a little more info on the skills on level up, beyond Block ?

http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #246 on: July 04, 2009, 12:40:04 AM

Someone want to give us a little more info on the skills on level up, beyond Block ?

http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml

Skills are on page 45 of the PDF.

If you want to know what skills work well together, take a look at the Star Players on p53 and the high-end players from page 55 onwards. From memory, something like a Witch Elf is nasty. Had a friend who turned them into blocking machines that would push opponents into the crowd.

... don't make me want this game.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #247 on: July 04, 2009, 01:28:02 AM

Why not? We need more people for the September Steam-powered f13 League.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #248 on: July 04, 2009, 02:06:10 AM

Looks like fun.  Bought the PC version and am downloading it now.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: July 04, 2009, 03:12:50 AM

Yay Quinton!

Add us on ingame friend list and on Steam.

Ingame names so far:

Falconeer
Viator
Krummi
IainC
Typhon
Cadaverine
AezZea
Helm
Ironwood

Kaid and Hakeldaima, would you please give us your ingame name? Same for whoever else is in game but not in the f13 league.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: July 04, 2009, 03:54:01 AM

Installed. Patched. Need to learn how to play.

Ingame name is Quinton.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: July 04, 2009, 04:23:07 AM

All friends added.

All offline.

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: July 04, 2009, 04:31:59 AM

Just created a Steam group for us Bowlers. Name is f13 Bloodbowlers, abbreviation is f13BB.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/f13bb

(f13 logo used hopefully with permission)

I suggest everyone to join it, will be much easier to keep track of each other.

Also, protip: Go to options and switch the game to windowed mode, same resolution as your desktop. The windowed version of Blood Bowl is totally borderless, so it will look exactly like the fullscreen one, but alt-tabbing will be working again. This made me happy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 04:41:13 AM by Falconeer »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: July 04, 2009, 04:41:28 AM

I've been going through the tutorials and am trying a one-player vs computer game to get a feel for things.

Is the load time really really bad for everyone or just me?  I think I may need to dial back the video settings a bit as the machine is struggling a bit at 1920x1200.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: July 04, 2009, 07:45:31 AM

I've joined the Steam group.  While I've had a Steam account a couple of years, I mostly just use it to play games.  If I look like I'm online but I'm not responding to chat it's because I don't know what I'm doing.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 04, 2009, 08:28:39 AM

Aez - Helm: 2:0

Aez scored really quick with his dodge little gutter runners.

Then I got disconnected and the interface forced me to "quit game". So I lost the game, got no money and no SP. GO Team Lizzard!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

At least I now know that I made some stupid mistakes when I created the team.

No rerolls ? lol.   awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 04, 2009, 10:22:45 AM

Falconeer taught me a couple of things.

1 - He's better at the game than me.
2 - Chaos is actually really, really boring to play.  The game was fun, but I missed the tricksy Orksies.

I think it's time for a shakeup.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 04, 2009, 10:30:47 AM

Day #1 is over. Here are the standing after 1 match.

On with

Day #2

Nice tiebreaker for the lead between Cadaverine and Krummi!

Modern Angel, would you be available later tonight for our game? Or tomorrow, what's your favourite time?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:33:03 AM by Falconeer »

schild
Administrator

Reply #258 on: July 04, 2009, 10:33:10 AM

Ugh. This can't come to Steam soon enough. I can only assume the developers are afraid of money.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: July 04, 2009, 10:58:36 AM

Can I ask why you're waiting till steam ?

schild
Administrator

Reply #260 on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:10 AM

Can I ask why you're waiting till steam ?
Short of GOG.com for incredibly old games, it's the only place I get my downloadable games (if you don't count MMOGs, which I always get straight from whatever company).
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: July 04, 2009, 03:11:23 PM

Short of GOG.com for incredibly old games, it's the only place I get my downloadable games (if you don't count MMOGs, which I always get straight from whatever company).

Same here.  I made the mistake of buying from Direct2Drive when the whole online delivery thing first started to get big, and I regret it.  They pull shit like not validating your game key if you download a game more than 5 times (some of us believe in frequent OS reinstalls).  Steam has never burned me, and besides, I like having all of my games coming from one trusted, convenient source.  I'm not going to go hunting through various company's websites to redownload shit I already bought.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #262 on: July 04, 2009, 03:53:08 PM

Am I wrong in thinking that if a game is on Steam you can download it from there even if you didn't originally buy it that way as long as you've registered it with Steam?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 04, 2009, 04:01:38 PM

Am I wrong in thinking that if a game is on Steam you can download it from there even if you didn't originally buy it that way as long as you've registered it with Steam?

I believe you're wrong in thinking that, although that's just an assumption on my part...
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: July 04, 2009, 04:11:47 PM

Isn't that the way steam usually works ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 04, 2009, 04:18:29 PM

It's been confirmed for Blood Bowl.  You'll be able to activate the game on steam with your original download's serial number (CD key is not describing the reality anymore).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:33:27 AM by Aez »
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: July 04, 2009, 04:29:40 PM

It's been confirmed for Blood Bowl.  You'll be able to activate the game on steam with your original download's serial number (CD key is not describing the reality anymore).

Very cool to know!  I stand corrected. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #267 on: July 05, 2009, 06:18:13 AM

Why not? We need more people for the September Steam-powered f13 League.

I'm not in your timezone and can't play from 1am - 4am just to get a Blood Bowl fix.

I'll consider it when 1) it comes to Steam and 2) they implement more team types. My previous experience was with Undead (although I used Mummies, not Wearwolves) and I'd like to try out a Dark Elf team.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: July 05, 2009, 06:27:07 AM

Timezones differences are overrated. I am flexible and yes I can play you 1am to 4am if needed.
Just saying, it's a 90 minutes effort every few days, shouldn't be that hard. If it is for you, chances are it won't be for your opponent and not everyone is from Europe anyway.

Not trying to convince you, just writing this in case anyone else is thinking a league wouldn't work due to timezones.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #269 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:55 AM

My supa-sekret reason 3) hope the BB devs get the multiplayer interface better worked out and 4) let's see if it makes it past the 30 day honeymoon period on F13.

I'm more interested now than I was, so this thread has been good for something.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: July 05, 2009, 08:15:14 AM

Falc, I *should* be on later tonight. What time would be good? I'm Eastern and hungover so don't confuse me with your stupid Euro timezones. American English please.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 05, 2009, 08:17:08 AM

If I'm not needed for Naxx tonight, I'll be on and give someone a Skaven Bashing.

That said, I still blow.

I am STILL to win a single game.  No Joke.   ACK!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 05, 2009, 08:18:47 AM

4) let's see if it makes it past the 30 day honeymoon period on F13.

The game has no sub to pay for, so the honeymoon could end tomorrow but the game will stay live for everyone here for a long time I guess. You shouldn't run out of opponents anyway. Although, sure... the League is the League...

MA, today it's gaming day for me so I am good whenever you are. Just tell me a time good for you and I'll be there. I'll be on Steam too so you can message me whenever you are ready. Use your timezones, I can read them.

Ironwood, I'll be glad to face you with a brand new Skaven team of my own, so we can see what we (both) are doing wrong.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:21:08 AM by Falconeer »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: July 05, 2009, 08:41:30 AM

So far I have tied one and lost 2 matches coaching a Dwarf team vs campaign mode.  I then went on to lose one match as Dwarves online against some random guy, though I *almost* made a crazy last turn of the game touchdown that would have resulted in a 1-2 loss instead of 0-2.  I've now won my first match as Skaven in campaign mode.

So I'm pretty lousy, but I'm starting to get a little better.

I like the basic feel of the game -- it really is a nice implementation of a tabletop turn based wargame.  I wish the game were a little snappier on my win32 machine (maybe more RAM would help), but while it's sluggish at times, it's not unplayable.

EDIT: Would it be worthwhile to stick the replays of the F13 League matches somewhere where people could grab them and watch them?  Looks like replays are 100-130KB or so and live under ~/My Documents/BloodBowl/Saves/Replays

Also, I just discovered G (display grid), T (display tackle zones), N (display names), and ctrl+mouse to rotate.  These and other useful things listed on the last page of the PDF manual...  The strategy guide PDF has a bunch of interesting tidbits (probably some overlap with the 5th edition rules).

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:03:31 AM by Quinton »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: July 05, 2009, 09:10:55 AM

Cheers for that Quinton, I think it'll help.

As for me, I am doing better when I test with Dwarves and Skaven.  I actually suspect Orcs are harder than they appear.  They don't seem to be as Tough as advertised and almost everyone else save the Dwarves run rings around them.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #275 on: July 05, 2009, 09:40:07 AM

Well I just got schooled 4-1 by Helm in a lizard v lizard showdown. He was 2-0 up at half time after I'd thrown away a couple of scoring chances by being unable to pick up the ball. I scored just after half time with and the subsequent kick-off was marked by a pitch invasion that left my entire team bar three Skinks concussed. With no defence possible for two turns, it wasn't hard for him to walk in a third TD. There was a bit of scrapping as I tried to salvage something from the wreckage but again, the ham-fistedness of my Skinks gifted a fourth and final TD to Helm just before the final whistle.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: July 05, 2009, 09:50:13 AM

Dwarves are fun because they're tough little buggers, but I'm still sorting out how to deal with much faster opponents (Wood Elves are crazy-fast by comparison, and once they got past my defensive line, there was pretty much no way to catch 'em).

Skaven vs Humans was interesting in that the Skaven are very fast moving, but relatively weak.  The computer player would tend to cluster the humans in a clump around the ball-carrier which made it very hard to get control of the ball.

The core turnover mechanic is fun -- makes you have to strategerize a bit and be careful about when in a turn you're going to take a risk, and helps keep things somewhat unpredictable.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: July 05, 2009, 11:01:38 AM

Fuck Block being overpowered :  Re-rolls are where it's at.

You're going to fuck up.  LOTS.  That's just the reality.

Having that re-roll available when it really counts helps enormously.

Edited to Add :  This makes PRO an enormously useful skill.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #278 on: July 05, 2009, 11:16:37 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

fuck you guys, I'm getting this the second I get home should be between Wednesday and Sunday.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: July 05, 2009, 11:29:09 AM

Dance, puppets, dance...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  
Jump to: