Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  (Read 253205 times)
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #700 on: November 23, 2009, 10:26:48 AM

Falconeer, you have to manually unregister the game from old installs to gain back the slot.  I believe there's even a handy shortcut from the start menu folder to do it.  Yes, it's a pain.  Yes, they realize it's a pain.  No, it wasn't Cyanide's choice.  Focus is the worst publisher in the history of publisher.  I actually had one of their marketing guys email me back because I was making them look like fucking retards on the Bloodbowl website.

Having said that, if you reuse coaches it basically means we'll never be able to, as new coaches, play a finesse team and have a snowball's chance in hell of being competitive...which is fine, just know that's the call you guys are making if you reuse the teams from last season.  The problem is finesse teams rely on being able to get ahead of the skill curve with wins and SPP...if the team's a season behind, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of making it. :)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #701 on: November 23, 2009, 11:00:41 AM

If you can't unregister an install cause old computer(s) went to hell you are screwed (edit: not screwed as you can yell them in mail and get it unscrewed. Still, what if they discontinue the game at some point, no one rplies your emails and it gets unscreweable?). That's what happened top me. One installed computer went to hell, the other two just refused to unregister. "Unknown error". Seriously.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:21:11 AM by Falconeer »

Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: November 23, 2009, 11:13:04 AM

I'm in for league play.
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #703 on: November 23, 2009, 11:25:23 AM

Yeah, that's pretty much lame.

At least they've been pretty good (from what I've seen) of just handing out more installs to people without too many questions when the shit goes bad.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #704 on: November 23, 2009, 12:49:31 PM

But to Falconeer's point, and it bears repeating, if they go under then there's nobody there to hand out more installs.  In 10 years if you still want to fire you up some Blood Bowl and whoops, no more installs and they've shit the bed in the global econopocalypse, you better hope you can find a crack somewhere.  Otherwise, you can't play the game you bought.

Anyone know if the Steam version also contains the shitty DRM?  I have more faith in Valve than Cyanide.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: November 23, 2009, 04:30:45 PM

Traditionally don't companies with that sort of DRM, if they're about to go under, issue patches that remove that limitation from the game? I mean it's entirely possible that they won't just like it's possible that they won't go under (hopefully not) but it doesn't seem like an end of the world thing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: November 23, 2009, 04:38:14 PM

Can you burn the install file or torrent a working version?  Your online account linked to CDKey is what you really need.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #707 on: November 23, 2009, 04:40:09 PM

Who said end of the world?  It's not about whether it would be physically possible to continue playing your game if you jump through some hoops (or maybe it's not possible!  who knows?!)  It's about what level of hoop-jumping is appropriate when you just dropped a bunch of money on the game and the pirates are giggling and playing to their hearts' delight.  The answer is that the appropriate level is 0.  0 Jumps.  I want to be able to say 'I want to play Blood Bowl' in 10 years and be playing it within half an hour.  

One reason I'm okay with Steam even though it's got its own sort of DRM is that it's actually FEWER hoops to jump through than going into my basement and finding which scratched up disk has an old game on it, then trying to find the patches online.  But if in 10 years it won't let me install because it phoned home to some nonexistant server to see if I have enough SecuROM installs left, and my solution is to e-mail someone and wait a day (read the Cyanide forums.  This is happening right now, much less 10 years from now) to maybe get it resolved, or hunt down an official crack somewhere that's probably just a trojan anyway, then that's too many jumps EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

So no, I won't buy a game that has that shitty little envelope around it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:50:23 PM by sidereal »

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:36 PM

Can you burn the install file or torrent a working version?  Your online account linked to CDKey is what you really need.

The pop-up that demanded that I enter my serial-number (which I actually found, yay!) scared me, so I have to wait for their customer support to get back to me.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: November 23, 2009, 05:54:01 PM

I burned the file. But to INSTALL, it has to connect to their server to get an authorization. I don't know how it works but no, doesn't matter what yoiu saved Without their online authorization nothing works, even if you burned the original files OR the folder with the pre-installed game. Pathetic.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: November 25, 2009, 05:43:18 AM

Ok, got it installed, but I can't play online...

Their customer support remains silent, so far... Heartbreak

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: November 25, 2009, 09:54:42 AM

With some luck Steam might recognize the serial number and let you get the game.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #712 on: November 29, 2009, 07:18:11 AM

Soooooooooooo  this guy looks legit

People bored of playing Dark Elf on Dark Elf rapefests?

awesome, for real
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: November 29, 2009, 08:15:33 AM

Soooooooooooo  this guy looks legit

People bored of playing Dark Elf on Dark Elf rapefests?

awesome, for real

Screw da elves, I've got a chaos team! 

No muties yet, tho :(
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #714 on: November 30, 2009, 06:14:01 PM

Well? Well?  Welllllll?

Also if anybody wants to get some practice games in pm me, find me on Steam, find me on LoL or find me on vent.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: December 01, 2009, 07:35:41 AM

Playing a campaign (turn based), I've noticed that the computer likes to try dodge a lot.  A LOT.  Makes sense for gobbos, not so much for orks.

Speaking of the league, is it going to be real time or turn based?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #716 on: December 01, 2009, 07:53:17 AM

Ugh, turn based. Real-time doesn't exist as far as Blood Bowl players are concerned. Well, at least the 'serious' ones anyway. Also, i highly recommend reading the documentation provided with the game if you haven't already. Having a basic understanding of the rules, tackle zone modifiers, strength assists on blocks, basic rolls involved, etc, makes a huge difference.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #717 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:12 AM

Arg, missed the thread rez.  I'll probably buy this on steam soon, would like to join the league.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #718 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:23 PM

I've pmed Hoax for his SteamID, pm me if you're interested in some friendly games
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: December 02, 2009, 02:05:21 AM

I've been slacking, I am sorry. Personal real life stuff.

I'll come up with a serious League #2 post in a couple of days. I am still deeply hurt that League #1 fell 2 matches out of 28 short of completion though.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: December 02, 2009, 05:28:43 AM

I've been slacking, I am sorry. Personal real life stuff.

I'll come up with a serious League #2 post in a couple of days. I am still deeply hurt that League #1 fell 2 matches out of 28 short of completion though.
Well, I can't play online at the moment, because the tech support (or any of the emails mentioned on the forums) answers my e-mails.

Which is a shame really, my lizzards would have ripped Aez's team appart.  Heart awesome, for real

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: December 03, 2009, 01:42:10 AM

Put me in, coach!  By the time the league gets set up, I'll probably have figured out what to play.  Tried lizard men, dark elves, skaven, chaos, and humans so far.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #722 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:23 AM

I could probably do this too if the time zones work out, I tend to play late Pacific time though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: December 03, 2009, 10:38:51 AM

True story:

I was playing a single player campaign last night vs an orc team, who hired varag ghoul chewer for one game(really good star player from back in the day).

Well, someone must have slipped him some bad beer, because he couldn't make a dodge roll to save his life, and he tried 5 times.  Every time he would go down and end up stunned.  He threw a couple of blocks but ended up on the ground.  It was...comical.

We also spent 3 turns bobbling the ball bewteen us, no one could pick up the damn thing, lol.

Waste of 240k gold on thier part, but I don't know how the computer ends up having so much money to spend, unless its tied to the difference in team value (like the cards in the board game).

Also:  anyone else notice that computer REALLY likes to dodge?  its strange, because its completely opposite to how I've seen it played out in the board game. 

Also also:  Current casualty record - 6 vs wood elves.  VENGANCE!
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:18 AM

Waste of 240k gold on thier part, but I don't know how the computer ends up having so much money to spend, unless its tied to the difference in team value (like the cards in the board game).

Yep, there's handicapping - that Inducements step in pre-game setup.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: December 04, 2009, 07:52:12 AM

That's the one thing I've done well in this game, kill wood elves. Only got to 4 or 5 though before finally getting caught. I suck at the rest of the game, but when it comes to killing wood elves I take pride in doing it well and efficiently. Next time, I'm buying some refs and hoping I can win by some sort of slaughter rule after killing their entire team.

Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: December 04, 2009, 08:00:28 AM

That's the one thing I've done well in this game, kill wood elves. Only got to 4 or 5 though before finally getting caught. I suck at the rest of the game, but when it comes to killing wood elves I take pride in doing it well and efficiently. Next time, I'm buying some refs and hoping I can win by some sort of slaughter rule after killing their entire team.

You kind of have to, because they have a 2 turn scoring play, or a 1 turn with luck.  first time I went up against wood elves, they beat me 2-1, and the second time they ALMOST did it on the last turn but they failed thier push roll to get into the end zone, thank god.

So you kick em down and keep em down.

Also, my guys arent very sneaky, my current record is 3 ejections :)  Helooooo chaos!

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: December 04, 2009, 05:28:07 PM

Well, I think I'm getting better at this game.  I can beat the computer on Easy mode, anyway.  But not with Goblins.  Anyone know how the hell you're supposed to play them?  The documentation goes on about how you can afford a million of them, but you can't field more guys than the other team has, and goblins get the shit kicked out of them by anything else, so having a dozen guys on the bench does me no good when I only have half as many players on the field due to slaughtering.  The secret weapon units are okay, but they get sent off after the next kick.  The Troll is decent, but spends half his turns picking his nose.  Tossing goblins seems to be the computer's strategy, but you have to make, like, nine rolls, or it ends up planting your Goblin and leaving the ball rolling gently to a stop at the feet of your opponent's runner.  They can't pass, can't run, can't block... how do you play as them?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #728 on: December 04, 2009, 10:40:31 PM

If you have 2 trolls and secret weapon your team is actually really scary for the other team.  But they are not designed to be balanced, they are without a doubt weaker then the other teams.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: December 05, 2009, 09:38:29 AM

Goblins basically are all about high risk/high reward plays that generally result in getting stomped but sometimes give you unstoppable plays. That and fouling, basically you use the secret weapons one at a time, hope you can do a lot of damage to the other team and foul everyone and everything that's lying down.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: December 07, 2009, 10:39:01 AM

Was doing some reading, found out that casualties that occur during fouling no longer give SPP (both game and new BB rules).  I am one sad chaos coach, we need all the SPP we can get!
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: December 07, 2009, 11:51:41 AM

If the next league hasn't started yet I'll throw my doorven hat in the ring.  I am bobby1328 on steam.  (don't try and chat me..... I'm really shy, then I talk a stupendous amount of shit)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #732 on: December 07, 2009, 04:09:07 PM

Was doing some reading, found out that casualties that occur during fouling no longer give SPP (both game and new BB rules).  I am one sad chaos coach, we need all the SPP we can get!

Nooooooooooooo!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #733 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:02 PM

Fouls have been nerfed insanely hard now, you basically don't foul while the game is in reach to win except in the rarest of circumstances now.

-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #734 on: December 08, 2009, 12:52:39 AM

Bought the game, and am enjoying it.

HOWEVER

It is beyond god damn stupidly hard to just pick up the ball.  At least for me.  Because my guys keep screwing up picking up the fucking ball over and over and OVER again.

Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  
Jump to: