Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official  (Read 84461 times)
waffel
Terracotta Army

on: January 29, 2009, 09:27:25 AM

New announcement, the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! hinted at by Mark and others, is simply two more classes and some live events coming up in a few months. Read here:

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=599
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38:07 AM

Looks cool.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:46:45 AM

You forgot about the upcoming official forums as well.

Apparently, it's very cold in hell today.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:47:03 AM

Introduction of two new classes... that should solve the core gameplay issues.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:30 AM

Well, there is some other good stuff in the announcement. Like a darkness falls type dungeon to be released in 6 months.

The official forums will help as there are a LOT of angry people over on teh VNz
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:51:03 AM

Well, there is some other good stuff in the announcement. Like a darkness falls type dungeon to be released in 6 months.

Apparently you aren't familiar with Mythic and 6 month promises. 

I'm not holding my breath on any promises even remotely related to WAR. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:53:37 AM

Well, we can see what adding the Black Guard and the KOTBS did for them- not much.  I'm sure the Mythopic boys felt like everyone was just waiting for the Choppa and Slayer. 
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:59:10 AM

Wasn't the Choppa one of the classes that was cut before release when Mythic realized it couldn't possibly finish everything in time for the EA imposed release date?

Over and out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:19:30 AM

Wasn't the Choppa one of the classes that was cut before release when Mythic realized it couldn't possibly finish everything in time for the EA imposed release date?

Yup along with four cities which is what REALLY needs to be done to have any kind of decent endgame.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:21:46 AM

Not bad stuff but I want to see more changes to RvR.  They need to add more into it then just joining a WB and doing BO's and keeps all night.    If this announcement is all they got thats a disappointment. 
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 11:43:04 AM

Just had a quick chance to read over it.  30 minutes to cap and defend a BO now?  Not sure how this helps, waiting 3 minutes and just sitting there drives me crazy.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:42 AM

Yup along with four cities which is what REALLY needs to be done to have any kind of decent endgame.

Yea, for sure, when I think of what Warhammer needs, I think it needs more areas.

NO.

JUST NO. Adding one square inch of space to the goddamn game is moving in the wrong direction.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:04 AM

Have to agree with Schild here.  What WAR needs is a way to channel players to a common area for battle.  The world is already too large and too fragmented.

Sadly, I'm not sure the current engine can deal with this... making the whole thing doomed to failure.   

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:13:10 PM

Just had a quick chance to read over it.  30 minutes to cap and defend a BO now?  Not sure how this helps, waiting 3 minutes and just sitting there drives me crazy.

This is crap.  they need to get rid of the cap time totally.  There is no reason to sit there and "defend" for 30 minutes.  This actually encourages keep and BO swapping.  Why bother with a crappy capped BO when you can go get renown from one that isn't already defended?
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 12:34:28 PM

I couldn't find the part about the 30 minutes BO cap time- which page is that on?
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 12:39:49 PM

Bah, I just noticed that the 30-minute BO discussion was not part of the main announcement, just saw it at alliance boards posted right above it...

How does Zone Control work exactly? MMORPG.com recently had an interview with Mythic's Senior Designer, Brian Wheeler, and Producer, Jeff Skalski to answer this popular question. Currently, Zone Control is broken into five elements: (1) Keeps and Battlefield objectives, (2) Scenarios, (3) Player Kills, (4) Quests and Public Quests completed, and (5) Previous Tier Zone Control (who controls the tier below yours). These elements are in priority order, so controlling Keeps and Battlefield objectives is more helpful than Previous Tier Zone Control. The only problem, Skalski noted, "is that there is a lot of fighting going on in the [RvR] lakes and sometimes the zone control bar will just kind of be stuck. One team will be dominating greatly in scenarios while the other is dominating in RvR lakes and the zone never flips."

In order to alleviate the confusion and difficulty with flipping a zone, developers have announced changes for patch 1.1.1. When one mouses over the exsisting Zone Control bar, a breakdown of various bars will appear representing each element that affects Zone Control. Furthermore, Skalski added, "Moving forward, what we’re looking at doing is - battlefield objectives: once you capture them, you’ll have to defend them for 30 minutes and keeps: once you capture them they will have to be claimed by a guild and then held for two hours." Lastly, according to MMORPG, "This new feature will change the look of the zone control bar as well, adding six new blocks to the top and bottom. As Zone Domination criteria are met, the block begin to light up with the appropriate color. Basically, your side has to hold all six of their blocks in order to flip the zone." This is supplemental to other ways of flipping a zone.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 12:45:19 PM

official boards

well, is this the end of MJ me wonders?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 12:57:17 PM

Have to agree with Schild here.  What WAR needs is a way to channel players to a common area for battle.  The world is already too large and too fragmented.

Sadly, I'm not sure the current engine can deal with this... making the whole thing doomed to failure.   

The 30min to cap thing kinda sorta makes sense. It's a way of holding bodies into a zone for 30min. Problem obviously is that, if there's no action, it'll be boring as fuck.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 01:01:36 PM

The 30min to cap thing kinda sorta makes sense. It's a way of holding bodies into a zone for 30min. Problem obviously is that, if there's no action, it'll be boring as fuck.

That and what happens if critical mass crashes the server?  Yay... another 30 mins to wait!  So you either get a long wait, a long wait with terrible framerate, or server crashes.  I don't see a WIN in the list. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:52 PM

Maybe if it is a full 30 minute defense.  What I hate is the 15 minute "cooldown" on being able to retake the BO.  They should be immediately re-takable after the defense is completed.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 01:40:22 PM

I haven't heard of any server crashes recently, I think they nipped that one. Client performance during large fights is still a problem, but it only gets really bad for me when inside the tight confines of a keep or fortress.

I can't see 30 minute defense periods encouraging swap-and-go any more than the current system does.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 02:01:18 PM

...and keeps: once you capture them they will have to be claimed by a guild and then held for two hours...

Doesn't claiming a keep just vacuum money out of the gold bank for no discernible reward to the guild doing the claiming?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 02:28:35 PM

...and keeps: once you capture them they will have to be claimed by a guild and then held for two hours...

Doesn't claiming a keep just vacuum money out of the gold bank for no discernible reward to the guild doing the claiming?

You get guild experience.  The gold drain is minimal also, and since theres absolutely nothing to do with gold once you buy your horse at lvl 20 it should never be an issue even for a two player guild.  Anyone who thinks the playerbase in T4 needs to be funneled together simply has not played lately, there are more than enough people doing rvr to have action on every contested zone at once even on low pop servers, the problem is theres zero reason to do that atm.  Its much more effective to run as one massive zerg if you are trynig to cap a zone, this doesnt lead to fun group vs group or even wb vs wb gameplay.  Its either two massive zergs lagging the shit out of each other or one massive zerg chasing a small band around an playing musical keeps/bos.

I am the .00000001428%
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 03:06:22 PM

Mark crawled out from under his rock today to post on VN and is taking a fucking beating. Even the fanboys are lacing into him and the 'negative nancies' are posting in droves.

Read ANY warhammer forum over the past few months and you'll see everyone wants class balance fixes, fixes for end game, fixes for the PvE armor/RvR. And after all those months their announcement is to add more classes to the game while patting themselves on the back?

Those official forums can't come soon enough, because it seems people on ALL the public warhammer forums are angry as hell.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 03:53:01 PM

Oh boy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 04:37:52 PM

The post by Garthik seems to sum it up there.

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 04:44:48 PM

Oh boy
Could somebody who is following the game still please explain why they have a lockout timer on PvE content. Is there some sort of uber loot that drops in there and this is just a Verant-style cockblock they put in to slow people down?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 05:06:25 PM

Just a cockblock.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:23 PM

Yea, for sure, when I think of what Warhammer needs, I think it needs more areas.

NO.

JUST NO. Adding one square inch of space to the goddamn game is moving in the wrong direction.

I was also a bit bewildered by the Land of the Dead dungeon area - it really strikes me as devoting resources to the wrong areas. Not that is anything new for Mythic.

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 05:37:24 PM

Pretty good loot drops in there. The double dungeons BR/BW drop the Sentinel set, which carries greater wards, and is just better than anything you'll get from keep sieges. Lost Vale carries the Darkpromise Set (Greater than Greater wards) which is the best set you can get outside of a fortress or city siege.

Let's put it this way- the dungeons represent the traditional way of gearing up that everyone knows from WoW. You do them with 5 friends. The PVP sets are gotten from complete random crapshoots that you'll split with any amount of people from 15 to 150. And they're worse. We took a newly minted 40 shaman to BR/BW and he got 4 of 6 Sent pieces in an hour and a half. I've been capping keeps for the past month and I've got a crappy helmet.
Feaniad
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 06:20:40 PM

Quote from: Soln

well, is this the end of MJ me wonders?

I should hope so.  I was musing the other day "I should try and find an email or physical address for EA and start a petition to get him fired."

Then I realized I really didn't care that much.

Back to LOTRO go I.

Brandywine - Feaniad (Captain)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:21 PM

Why bother.  The game is out there for the world to judge. 

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Jacobs and have enjoyed my exchanges with him.  Sadly, I'm not a fan of his most recent release.  I'm not sure he'll ever get a chance to redeem himself. 

-  Mark Twain
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 07:02:01 PM

War was his chance to redeem himself after the ToA fiasco. He had the dev team, EA backing him + their money, the Warhammer IP, and a MMO track record.

And after the game bombed, and they closed half their servers, and their players grew restless and screamed for fixes to the end game, he had yet another chance to releases some good news for players. And he didn't.

He honestly doesn't deserve to have any more second chances and he deserves exactly what he's gotten, a dying game and a pissed off player base.

I mean christ, he has the balls to say "no other MMO has added 4 new classes after release for free" while patting himself on the back.
Last I checked, no other MMO has cut out 4 classes and 4 cities from the game to push the game out before its ready, either.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:20 PM

BUT IF THEY HAVE OFFICIAL FORUMS, PEOPLE COULD CALL MARK BAD NAMES AND HE DOESN'T LIKE THAT!!!

Edit:  !

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 01:35:58 AM

The 30 minutes BO and 2 hour keep thing don't fit with a scenario packed instant action game.  He's trying to appeal to two different markets and wondering why it's not working.  GW must be pretty worried to allow them to add the Slayer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official  
Jump to: