Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Game Update 51 is large and important and on Test 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Update 51 is large and important and on Test  (Read 37396 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: January 11, 2009, 07:14:25 PM

Huge changes to classes across the board. I am not going to post them here since they are easy to find if you care. But suffice it to say, aggro is getting an overhaul and EQ2 is getting a WoW aggro meter.  No more hate transfers.  Tanks in offensive stance can no longer taunt - all taunts become equivalent de-taunts. Stuff like that. I still haven't wrapped my head around it.

I have never played WoW.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:01:22 PM

Hurrr...what? First, what is a WoW aggro meter?

And no more hate transfers? I play a damn Illusionist, and that's one of the toys I like.

And why the fuck the stance change? If someone wants to tank in offensive, so what? Maybe they're adventuring with friends or some shit, or just farming. That change makes no sense.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:42:01 PM

Is there anything that gives more comprehensive notes?  I didn't get a clear picture of the impact of the changes from what they had.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:49:45 PM

You asked for it:

Test Update January / 7 / 2009
GAMEPLAY

Taunts and detaunts can now critical similar to how melee and spell criticals work.

Threat output and hate position changes will now be displayed to the chat windows. You can find it under Combat in the Hate Adjustment category.

Hate gain mods will no longer affect taunt adjustments.

Area of effect spells and combat arts will no longer spread hate to encounter members when damage is applied.

Imprisoner Ynosii’s death now results in his weakened soul spawning. Killing the weakened soul gives a key that will open Ynosii’s treasure chest.

Auto-follow:
Your character will now swim up and down to follow the target underwater
Characters on auto-follow will always turn to face their target when auto-attacking.
Players on auto-follow now follow up and down climbable walls.
You may now /camp (and, incidentally, sit) while on auto-follow. If the person you're following moves (causing you to follow) your camp will be interrupted.
The camera will now re-center on the person you're following only when you're moving.

ACHIEVEMENTS

Bountiful Harvest should no longer displayed a combined harvest on root and foresting nodes. Instead you should see two harvests similar to how other node type work.

Warrior
Executioner’s Anger now has a chance to increase your taunt critical chance instead of the player’s hate gain.

Crusader
Idolic Axe has changed to increase the base amount of the crusaders taunts and gives them an additional chance to critically taunt an enemy.

Assassin
Frontload will no longer cause poisons to cancel when it is toggled off or expires.

Berserker
Perserverance is now a buff and works in a similar fashion to Reversal with a hidden spell that can only trigger once every 15 seconds.

Brawler
Crane Twirl has been changed to increase the brawlers chance to aoe auto attack
Eagle Spin now increases the threat of the brawler with their enemy.
Eagle’s Talon now increases the chance of the brawler to critically taunt and increases the amount of threat applies by taunts.
Monkey Dodge now increases the brawler’s defense and parry skill.

Shadowknight
Enchance: Anguish will now increase the base damage of the combat art appropriately.

SPELLS

As a result of spell changes, the triggered effect on Charm’s Way has been changed to be upfront and target enemies in the area of effect.

Fighter
Kick has been moved to level 3 to fill in a gap caused by spell consolidation

Guardian
The Hold The Line spell line has been merged with the defensive stance lines.
The Iron Will Spell line has been merged with both the offensive and defensive stances.
The Battle Tactics line has been merged into the Call to Arms line of spells.
The offensive stance line will now increase damage done to the guardian and also has a damage based proc while also reducing the hate gain of the guardian.
The defensive stance will now also increase the amount of taunts and increase the hate gain of the guardian.
The hate reduction of the allay line has been reduced.
The Assault line now grants additional threat gains.
Reduced the recast of the Shout line.
The Kick line now generates additional threat.

Berserker
Berserk has been incorporated into the defensive and offensive stances.
The Battle Chant line has been merged into the Bloodlust line.
The Bullying Defense line has been merged into the defensive stance line.
Uproar has been moved to level 2 to fill in a gap created by the ability mergers.
The Growl line is now 10 second reuse and more powerful.
The Offend line has increased threat.
The Whirl line now has a threat component.
Reactive taunt strength of the Insolent Gibe line has been increased slightly.

Paladin
The Redemption line now greatly increases your threat with the target instead of siphoning hate.
The Incite line now increases threat initially instead of overtime.
The Charge line now has a hate component.
The Divine Circle line now has a hate component.
The Blessing of the Penitent and Blessed Weapon lines have been merged into the offensive and defensive stances.
The Blinding Rays line has had its reuse time reduced.

Shadowknight
The Dark Caress and Unholy Weapon lines have merged into the offensive and defensive stances.
Defensive stance line will lower damage but increase threat output.
Offensive stance boosts damage slightly but reduces hate gain.
Sickening Circle will also increase threat now.
The Kick line now has a threat component.

Bruiser
The Roughhouse and Dodge and Strike lines have been merged into the bruiser’s stances.
The Brag line is now more potent.
The Blazing Strikes line now has a threat component.
The Impose line has faster reuse speed now.

Monk
The Martial Focus and Dragon stance lines have been merged into the monk’s stances.
The Stare line increase threat by more.
The Cobra Circle line now increases threat to any targets it hits.
Beckon has had its reuse time lowered.

Swashbuckler
The Swarthy Distraction line of spells has changed to be a short duration buff which greatly increases or decreases their target’s hate.

Assassin
The Shadows line has changed to trigger a hate reduction effect.

Ranger
The Reconnoiter line has had its hate reduction effect removed and has a chance on any hit to reduce the rangers hate.

Predator
The Stalk line is now faster casting and lower recovery time.

Scout
The Evade line no longer has any recovery time.

Sorceror
Concussive is now faster casting and quicker reuse time.

Dirge
Hyran’s line has reduced hate gain modifiers but also increases the threat amount.

GUILDHALLS

Guild Hall Fuel Merchants will now buy back tier 1 fuels.

The guild hall mender will now correctly remember the new coverage setting after it is changed.

ZONES

Veeshan’s Peak
Milyex Vioren’s engineer should no longer occasionally become unkillable

Palace of Ferzhul
Ferzhul should no longer fail to unlock his portion of Varsoon’s portal if players kill all of his adds before killing him.

Village of Shin
Merchants in the Village of Shin will now buy as well as sell items.

Moors of Ykesha
Spotting a business opportunity, a new fuel merchant has recently set up shop in Firmroot Moot near the mender.
It should now be slightly easier to avoid the blood gorgers in the entry passage to Grobb, if you are careful.

ITEMS

Overloaded heal procs will now trigger properly from reactives and wards.

The Ferocious Presence spell from Stormbringer’s Bulwark of the Unstoppable will suspend if the shield is no longer equipped.

QUESTS

Knight-Captain Santis will complete the quest, "Bog Sludge Hunt".

Zoning into the Nasin's Library on Chapter 4 of The Shadow Odyssey should now automatically zone in a full party, regardless of whether all members have the quest.

MACROS

You can now drag equipment from your appearance slots to the macro window.

GROUPS

Group members can now use the /invite command to request that the group leader invite a player to the group. Just type /invite <playername>

UI

The raid window has a new ‘Advanced’ mode that will display effect icons for all members of the raid. Right-click the raid window to switch views.

The carat in text boxes will no longer render if the EQII client doesn’t have focus.

Fixed a bug where damage reduction info was not displayed correctly in the mitigation tooltip.

Fixed a bug in the raid window sometimes causing users to not be drag-able.

The following modifications were made to UIScripting and are may be of interest to the modding community.

UIScript now supports the following functions: int(), abs(), floor(), ceil().
Results of math operations in UIScript now only return the required precision instead of always forcing 3 decimal places.
Fixed a bug parsing negative floating-point numbers.
The BackgroundEmpty image of a UIProgressbar will no longer render unless the progress value is zero.
Support has been added for a new UIColorStyle object. Any object property that accepts a color will now accept a reference to a UIColorStyle object.

I have never played WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:23 PM

Thanks.  I saw that.  How are those huge changes to any one class.

I'm not saying it's not, just a little text blurb for any given class I play doesn't seem to be that large.  I'm not getting a feel for the enormity of it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:02:50 AM

Actually looks like a net gain for SKs in Offensive.

The AE damage not adding hate kinda sucks, it's how I would keep most add aggro the two or three times I actually grouped. But they did add a component to Sickening Circle, and I guess you could always spare a boot for an add now and again to keep 'em in line.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:44:17 AM

Thanks.  I saw that.  How are those huge changes to any one class.

I'm not saying it's not, just a little text blurb for any given class I play doesn't seem to be that large.  I'm not getting a feel for the enormity of it.

Not everything is spelled out there but I will lay out what I know about my class and you can decide if it is major or not:

Stances: Berserk is now part of the stances and not a stand alone ability. The benefit used to be fixed: haste and dps. Now the benefit is different depending on the stance: damage absorption, haste, dps in Defensive and CA base damage increase, more haste, more dps. Defensive stance also has it's base damage modifier lowered.

Taunts become detaunts while in Offensive stance. So Rescue changes from a moving the tank up 1 on the hate list to moveing the tank down 1. Any CA that has threat increase becomes a threat decreasing in Offensive stance.  Why should a tank EVER have a detaunt? This change is insane in a game where the tank-healer dynamic is core.

Those are two major changes that require a lot of rebalancing across the game to make playable. All tanks are going to do less DPS in Defensive. That makes holding aggro harder. All aggro-transfer abilities for other classes are going away. That makes holding aggro harder. Wizard and Warlock AEs are going to generate less aggro. That will help them stay alive longer oin multi-mob encounters but it has to be balanced carefully against the lower tank aggro.

My issue is that as a Berserker, I am giving up a ton of tactical flexibility by being forced in Defensive Stance to hold aggro. In return, I am getting nothing to improve my DPS in Offensive other than the small increase in base CA damage.

I quit for a month when TSO AAs were announced and my double attack was nerfed to shit. I have made due, switching to dual wield when DPSing and macroing in a shield during "oh shit" moments. I don't believe that was what the devs intended with the TSO changes so they are focing the issue now. I am not going to quit hastily this time, but I challenge anyone to explain how this change makes the game more fun for a tank.

It is still about fun, right?

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:07 AM

This sounds to me like they are starting to implement some of the "ideas" about skill consolidation.

I guess really, I don't get it. Does this fix anything or is it stirring for the sake of stirring?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:01 AM

Okay, I understand now.

For my Shadowknight it isn't too big a change.  I solo almost exclusively with her.  I think I went defensive with her, but because it gave an armor increase without too much of a decrease in damage.

I duo with my Bruiser.  I tended to do the same, but I still don't like that detaunt if I choose to go offensive.  I suppose if I had the option it would be great since I could make sure I don't steal aggro from another tank, but forcing it?

Other than the taunting, how badly are they mucking with what the stances do?  It sounds like there are some changes there, too.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:16 AM

Hey, where's Hartsman these days?  Ohhhhh, I see.

I believe that's the answer to post-Kunark questions. What Scott did with EQ2 is nothing short of amazing, and having such odd decisions coming out after his hand leavers the rudder is pretty telling. Everyone in mmoland should be trying to get that dude to head up their project right now, rather than 'visionaries' like Garriot.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:24:27 PM

I guess really, I don't get it. Does this fix anything or is it stirring for the sake of stirring?

Until I see otherwise, I think it is just stirring. They haven't even let the new crit mitigation mechanic bake for very long and now this.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:45:00 AM

Looks like they are abandoning the fighter changes.  Or at least starting from scratch.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:39:27 PM

The combat issues they need to be addressing are things like finding a role for more than one tank in a party, and making it harder for a tank to out-dps the dps classes.  Both are current problems, and most easy solutions will be mutually exclusive.

From the looks of those (now obsolete?) notes, that might be what they were aiming at, but the results looked more like a half-assed swipe in the general direction than a carefully targeted precision strike to fix a specific problem.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:57 AM

If people weren't so munchkiny, there would be no problem at all and the devs could work on some fun stuff rather than "finding a role" kind of crap. Who gives a fuck if a tank can out-dps a caster or rogue? Not me. Only folks who give a shit about having an optimal group. Play for fun and don't worry about stupid crap or run parses.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:05:32 AM

Play for fun and don't worry about stupid crap or run parses.

These are MMO gamers.  They obsess over 1% changes in things.  Hell, isn't that what the raiding endgame is about?  Getting gear that gives you a 1% improvement in some stat?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:15 AM

I think in EQ2 terms, the big problem is the devs being afraid to tell "tier 1" dps to stfu. WoW has a pretty balanced set of classes mostly because if they couldn't figure anything else out, they just gave the class a top tier dps spec. Maybe not absolutely 100%, but 90-95%. Enough that player skill and gear can trump class.

Yesterday a dev said summoners need to between enchanters and sorcerors. Why? They don't bring a whole lot other than DPS, so why can't they be the same as sorcerors. A second warrior class doesn't bring much to a group (or a third or more to a raid) other than DPS, so why shouldn't they be have a spec or stance that's top tier dps. And EQ2 requires a trip home to the mirror to respec where as I understand it WoW is going to let you switch on the fly.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 07:21:15 AM

Tank/Healer/CC/DPS/Evac

That was the group build in EQ.  Your role beyond those things was limited.  Until they come up with more interesting group dynamics, I'm afraid it all boils down to who does which of these things.  EQ2 made evac a lot less critical, so it's all about Tank/healer/DPS/CC now.  Buff/Debuff is nice to have, but still doesn't get the props it deserves. 

The paradigm needs to change.  I'm afraid that WoW just cemented our feet in it for another decade. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 07:25:48 AM

In the raiding game buff/debuff certainly does. Minstrels and chanters are probably the most sought out classes for raiding.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 05:21:44 PM

And I chose my haste/Dyna as Master IIs, yay.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 09:18:20 PM

Yeah, I haven't heard much about CC being a big deal outside of casual groups. Everything I hear about raiding is tank/heal/dps/buff/debuff.

And yeah, having easy respec and more differentiation in respec would be nice. Like a wiz could just do full-bore dps via fire or go for debuffs via ice or something. Summoners go like hunters with dps or pet specs, etc.

It's hardly a secret that exclusionary gameplay is one of my pet peeves of mmo, it seems to go against everything that the genre should be doing (making it easier for more people to get together and play). I refuse to tank for pugs with my SK because I don't want to hear shit from people about how I suck and my gear blows or whatever.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 05:25:01 AM

In the raiding game buff/debuff certainly does. Minstrels and chanters are probably the most sought out classes for raiding.

This is good to hear. 

I think what irritates me most with EQ2 is that it won't allow me to effectively play the classes that I enjoy playing.  When selecting a character, I'm forced between two choices: 1) choose a class that solos effectively - in which case I will have a tough time finding a group for the endgame or 2) Choose a class that is desired by the endgame - in which case I'm dependant on others for levelling to the endgame without it being unbearably slow.

If every class was able to effectively solo while still being very useful to the endgame, then I'd still be playing EQ2.  There's a lot to love about this game.

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 05:59:13 AM

If you mean soloing as someone said earlier-- the ability to take on group content solo, then yeah, there's a small number of classes that can do that because the game design is that its not supposed to be possible.

But in terms of just running through the questlines, then that's not really what I'm seeing. I'm soloing up a dirge and it's really easy. The enchanter was a little more challenging, but I was getting along fine. I do have a ready source of gold, which makes a difference. She's not like a "twink" with all super powered gear, but I have all App IVs and up to snuff weapons.

What classes are you thinking of?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 06:14:54 AM

Defiler, inquisitor,  & warden for example.  I can solo with them if I blow masters on dps, but then I'm worthless to a group.  Warden is probably the fastest to solo with.  My defiler was rough, but doable.

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 06:44:26 AM

Ok defiler, you bastard, I was afraid you were going to pull that one out!

I just joked with someone on the official boards: Q: What do you call a level 50 defiler? A: A mystic.

As far as I know, it's the worst soloing class in the game and I think most defilers end up levelling with the mystic melee spec then betraying in the 70-80 range.

I had the impression that wardens had a decent dps spec. Don't know a thing about inquisitors though.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 08:09:39 AM

I had the impression that wardens had a decent dps spec. Don't know a thing about inquisitors though.

My warden solos ok, but it's mostly because things don't kill me.  I end up with my master always going on my hot (for grouping). 

Really, my comment is that all classes should be able to solo effectively and it's really just not the case.  My defiler is terrible solo and I refuse to do the whole betrayal thing just to offset the game's poor construction of the class.  I guess that's why I quit playing.  My brigand can't handle standard group mobs.  My defiler can't handle anything. 

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:59 PM

Don't forget I can craft you spells, armor and foods. And if your point is end-game stuff, I can't really give you much advice. I enjoy the journey and the only reason I'm almost at the level cap with my wizard is I was running so low on cash playing my lowbies. There is so much to this game that I feel it's a shame to waste it rushing to the cap. You say levelling can be unbearably slow - I turn off combat xp with most of my characters :)

There's also raid and group stuff all the way up, but finding people would be tough because people race to the cap. I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm up for grouping with f13 folks if they need a hand, mentoring or playing lowbies, whatever.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:42 PM

You say levelling can be unbearably slow - I turn off combat xp with most of my characters :)

To be fair, I meant this in the context of playing my defiler.  Imagine taking a minute or two to kill a white solo mob.  No, I'm not kidding.

Thanks for the offer on the rest.  I may very well take you up on it as soon as I get bored with LotRO
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:48:33 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 08:16:37 AM

I guess I just naturally adjust to the character's sweet spot. If whites are too tough, I go for blues. Even with combat exp enabled, unless you're making good progress through dungeon mobs, you're not getting much exp from them. They're just quest barriers imo :)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:52:55 AM

You say levelling can be unbearably slow - I turn off combat xp with most of my characters :)

To be fair, I meant this in the context of playing my defiler.  Imagine taking a minute or two to kill a white solo mob.  No, I'm not kidding.

Thanks for the offer on the rest.  I may very well take you up on it as soon as I get bored with LotRO

I have no clue about defilers but when I was playing (right up until Kunark released) end game content Inquisitor and Brigand both had a reputation as superb soloers.  Inquisitors just don't die and so are able to clear group content in the waaaaay back of dungeons all by their lonesome.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:28 AM

I keep wanting to get back to my Inq, he's a lot of fun. Maybe not as much fun as the coercer, but they're so situational and intense to play.

I also toy with the idea of setting up a dual-box, since I've got a second pc that will run EQ2 decently. I dunno, I think it just crosses some kind of geek line for me, when I think about explaining it to the fiancee. Though the finances work out, because I could drop from Station Access to two standard accounts for the same price...
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 02:24:13 PM

The new X2 instance in the new Lavastorm is insane hard. For one of the easier bosses, if you don't have 12k heat resists, don't even show up. Every time he hits with melee he does 4k heat damage. And then there is a small 83*** add every 20 seconds. Those fuckers are hard to target.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 07:36:14 AM

Yeah, I was looking at a wizard gear guide on eq2flames, almost every single piece is so unattainable for me I just have to go back to not reading gear guides. I was hoping to find some decent non-raid gear lists, apparently the only thing people talk about is raiding. Oh, well.

Anyway, the thing that struck me was just how much more amazing the gear is for raiding guilds. Then those people complain that solo and heroic content is too easy. Heh.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 08:30:29 AM

Yes, the "best in slot" list tends to be not just raids, but high end raid stuff.

The best non-raiding gear is just quest rewards from Kunark/TSO or shard stuff from TSO. At least for me (mystic) I'm still wearing a few crafted items as well because they have +heal or +combat arts.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 12:27:06 PM

Tier 2 TSO shard armor is plenty good to raid TSO with. It is the jewelry and your mythical that make or break success. Our pally MT has T2 shard armor, a fabled shield from a T1 TSO raid zone and his mit is 1,500 over the softcap (about 5k) and his avoidance is close to 70%. All the raid gear gives is better critical mitigation and more dps.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 12:57:34 PM

As if I'll ever have t2 TSO shard armor or a mythical?  why so serious?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Game Update 51 is large and important and on Test  
Jump to: