Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477165 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:31 AM

So for those who like to swim I have been having great success with a high resistance/high intensity swim workout.  Lost about 10 lbs total but have also gained muscle mass faster than I ever have in the pool.

This workout has been pretty good for me because my cardio and breathing just isn't good enough at the moment to handle distances over 200, plus I am not at this point attempting to work on this as my goal is weight loss first.  It also probably isn't going to improve my swimming technique (more like the opposite):

I mix up the order and change things up every few weeks but basically I do the following (as sprints/full speed):
100 free warm up.
200 fly kicks with fins
50 freestyle with fins
15 chinups using the diving block (pretty much like an assisted chinup)
200 backstroke kicks with fins
50 breast no fins
15 chinups using the diving block
200 breastroke kicks no fins
50 backstroke with fins
200 freestyle kicks with fins
50 fly with fins

Next is sprints interwoven with some water weights, I only use 1 weight so I bastardized mine into a single mega weight (been upping it every 6 or 7 workouts).
25 fly/25 back no fins
15 dips/15 tricep pull downs (each arm)
25 fly/25 back no fins
25 fly/25 back no fins
25 fly/25 back no fins

I then pull on the aqua gloves and do 75 reps of a stationary/standing breastroke pull (very similar to using the butterfly press in the gym).

Lastly I finish with a 100 free cooldown.  

I started at 230lbs and after 2 months I am 10 lbs lighter and it's like the fat has been melting off from my extremities and slowly working inward.  At this point my arms, chest and legs are completely toned and it's down to the gut and love handles, both of which are showing improvement but needed the most work.  I think the next phase is adding 1 day a week in the gym to work biceps and shoulders (my biceps need some help keeping up with the tricep growth).  

Also it seems like the rowing machines are a great warmup in prep hitting the weights, for some reason no one ever uses these machines at my gym but after a 2000 meter row the blood was flowing nicely to all the areas I wanted to hit with the weights.

Once I lose a bit more gut I'll be working abs and obliques more as well but for now the fly & fly kicks are a pretty good core workout.

edit - I would like to note that the chinups/water weights and time spent swapping fins on and off are all the time I allow for catching my breath, other than that I do not have any breaks in the swim schedule that last more than 5 seconds or so.

edit2 - Oh yeah been doing this 4-5 days a week.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:15:01 AM by Salamok »
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: July 16, 2012, 08:54:32 AM

If you don't mind me asking, where are you swimming and how much does it cost? I've been thinking about training for a triathalon.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:35 AM

If you don't mind me asking, where are you swimming and how much does it cost? I've been thinking about training for a triathalon.

Lifetime Fitness, it is expensive ($134/mo for the family, I think $65 for a single) because of all the kids facilities but worth it for me because the kid starts nagging me to go to the gym the second I pick her up, plus it has 5 lanes indoor and another 6 outside as well as separate water facilities for kids/water aerobics.

24 hour fitness where the Q used to be (just north of the Arboretum) has a good pool (5-6 lanes) and you can join there for under $30/mo for a single, costco sells a 2 year up front membership for $300 if you are committed.  The 24 hour fitness by UT isn't bad (3 lanes), my main problems with 24 hour fitness are that the water aerobics ppl tend to take over the pool from 5-7pm and after 9pm it turns into a bathhouse.

If you do not need coaching and are looking to do a big tri I would suggest Pure Austin Fitness as it allows you to swim in quarry lake to do some open water training and the few times I have looked I never see more than a few people in the entire lake.  

If you need coaching and/or don't want to fight kids/water arobics/old asian ladies then I have heard Nitro is good ($90/mo IIRC).
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: July 19, 2012, 02:13:09 AM

I actually have found myself in fair agreement with this girl and her reviews.  Here's her take on one of them.
http://azahorik.hubpages.com/hub/A-Review-of-P90X-Chest-and-Back

Been away for a few days so a little late saying cheers for the link - but cheers for the link.  awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: July 19, 2012, 09:32:01 AM

Yeah, that link is great. Thanks!

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: July 31, 2012, 11:00:54 AM

So I was reading the BMR page on wikipedia and in the cardiovascular section it hints at targeted training that can lower your resting heart rate and blood pressure while raising your BMR within 4 to 6 weeks.  It also mentions increased oxygen availability which is what really caught my eye. 

The anaerobic threshold is defined as the energy utilization level of heart rate exertion that occurs without oxygen during a standardized test with a specific protocol for accuracy of measurement,[citation needed] such as the Bruce Treadmill protocol (see Metabolic equivalent). With four to six weeks of targeted training the body systems can adapt to a higher perfusion of mitochondrial density for increased oxygen availability for the Krebs cycle, or tricarboxylic cycle, or the glycolitic cycle.[citation needed] This in turn leads to a lower resting heart rate, lower blood pressure, and increased resting or basal metabolic rate.

Unfortunately they do not provide any details on the "targeted training" anyone able to maybe enlighten me a bit, keeping in mind that I only understand 2 words in 3 of this section of the article.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #741 on: July 31, 2012, 11:33:48 AM

So did anyone get any results with P90X? my friend offered to lend me his copy.

"Me am play gods"
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #742 on: July 31, 2012, 11:59:03 AM

So I was reading the BMR page on wikipedia and in the cardiovascular section it hints at targeted training that can lower your resting heart rate and blood pressure while raising your BMR within 4 to 6 weeks.  It also mentions increased oxygen availability which is what really caught my eye. 

The anaerobic threshold is defined as the energy utilization level of heart rate exertion that occurs without oxygen during a standardized test with a specific protocol for accuracy of measurement,[citation needed] such as the Bruce Treadmill protocol (see Metabolic equivalent). With four to six weeks of targeted training the body systems can adapt to a higher perfusion of mitochondrial density for increased oxygen availability for the Krebs cycle, or tricarboxylic cycle, or the glycolitic cycle.[citation needed] This in turn leads to a lower resting heart rate, lower blood pressure, and increased resting or basal metabolic rate.

Unfortunately they do not provide any details on the "targeted training" anyone able to maybe enlighten me a bit, keeping in mind that I only understand 2 words in 3 of this section of the article.

I'd link some articles for you but they make that section sound like it's in plain English. One short, simple answer is interval training.

My questions to you would be, what are you trying achieve and why?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: July 31, 2012, 12:08:04 PM

So did anyone get any results with P90X? my friend offered to lend me his copy.

I'm in the rest week of stage 1 right now, but because I suck, instead of doing yoga and light cardio, I'm doing runs all week.   So far on it, I've dropped about 3% BF and about 4 lbs
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:01 PM

I'd link some articles for you but they make that section sound like it's in plain English. One short, simple answer is interval training.

My questions to you would be, what are you trying achieve and why?

Better oxygen efficiency for swimming.  I realize I could do swimming by itself as it is an excellent means to this end, the article makes it sound like there is an exercise specifically targeted at this though.

Not really worried about it at the moment but in another 15 lbs or so when I switch from a power workout to an endurance one I will be.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: July 31, 2012, 02:13:48 PM

My feeling is that what they're referring to is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which can mirror the benefits of more LSD based endurance training (Long Slow Distance - not Lysergic acid diethylamide  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ) but uses a different mechanism to do so (don't ask how unless you really want to hear about the differences between calcium–calmodulin kinase and adenosine monophosphate kinase). The studies done by Izumi Tabata back in 1996 (and copious amounts of subsequent research) have suggested that HIIT can increase VO2Max and endurance capability by equivalent amounts to standard endurance training in as little as 6 weeks - so that would make sense.

Couple of points though: firstly, 6 weeks was under a rigorously controlled test condition with the appropriate means to measure power output and VO2Max etc. You probably won't have that so you have to go by feel and you may not get the exact results in exactly the same time period.

Secondly, if it's anything like running then a lot will affect your oxygen efficiency - not just fitness, strength and endurance but also technique. In running we call it "running economy" and a quick chat with my triathlete friends tells me it's referred to as "swimming efficiency" (i.e. body position, stroke length etc) These can be improved through drills, practice etc. You essentially get more bang for your buck - greater return on the power expended - without necessarily improving your fitness. Sports are skills and can be taught.

Lastly, I'd also say that it's not to early to start working on some of this now. If you start doing some strength endurance sessions and interval sessions (ie circuits) then you can build strength, power, endurance and burn calories all at the same time. Win!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Throw in some circuit sessions (5 sets of 5 exercises) which will take maybe 20 minutes max if you do it without rest interval and make it good cardio as well as good strength/power. Don't forget plyometrics too (but ease into them if you're not used to it because they can really hurt if you go too hard at first).

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: July 31, 2012, 11:12:38 PM

I am a fairly decent swimmer (ie ex-competitive) and my technique is better than most (if not all) of the triathletes I have encountered who have no previous exposure to swimming other than being a triathlete.

That said my current workout is intentionally inefficient with the goal of building muscle mass and power.   This routine has me losing 4 lbs a month (going in to month 4 now) while building some nice muscle mass. It certainly involves intervals, high intensity and some pretty good resistance.  I'm just looking forward 2-3 months for when my gut is no longer in the way of my diaphragm and I can hopefully start increasing my distances w/o having to hyperventilate every 100 meters.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:53 AM

One thing I'd suggest that you might add into the mix at this point, looking over your workout a few posts back, is adding some cross-training cardio work in at this point. You mentioned that you did a bit of rowing as a warm-up but if you started including rowing (or cycling or running) interval sessions, you'll build strength, cardio endurance and, based on what I was researching last week (about how swimmers retain more body fat than runners/cyclists even if they burn more calories), you might torch even more fat. The downside is the lack of specificity but would that be a real problem at this stage for you?

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: August 01, 2012, 02:56:54 AM

What I found worked well was the routine I had (which I'm the process of restarting).

100 push ups,
100 sit ups,
100 leg lifts,
100 lateral leg lifts (50 each side),
100 back lifts laying on the stomach (mainly to stretch out the back),
100 squats,
100 scissor kicks,
100 outward kicks (side kicks) while prone (50 each leg)
Followed by a 15 minute stretch routine.

With the 1500 calorie diet and 5-7 hours of Tae Kwon Do and kick boxing I was losing about 10lbs a month.

For those with time constraints I've found that http://www.warriorxfit.com/ works well, the routines are changed daily with new exercises.  You can repeat the segments as necessary adjusting for additional time you may find.

*edit, I also did a few exercises with resistance bands for upper body which I forgot
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:01:30 AM by brellium »

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: August 01, 2012, 07:41:48 AM

One thing I'd suggest that you might add into the mix at this point, looking over your workout a few posts back, is adding some cross-training cardio work in at this point. You mentioned that you did a bit of rowing as a warm-up but if you started including rowing (or cycling or running) interval sessions, you'll build strength, cardio endurance and, based on what I was researching last week (about how swimmers retain more body fat than runners/cyclists even if they burn more calories), you might torch even more fat. The downside is the lack of specificity but would that be a real problem at this stage for you?

I may up my once a week row from a 10 minute warmup to a 30 minute interval workout, the article is pretty inconclusive other than stating that statistically swimmers retain higher body fat %.  My guess is that the body is reacting to prolonged periods in cool water by retaining some insulation.  

With all previous swim workouts I have experienced the ravenous hunger associated with swimming but for some reason this time around my appetite has actually dropped.  I certainly have not gone on a diet or anything but being occupied at the gym from 6pm to 9pm (hour with the kid, 75 minute workout, 15min hot tub/sauna) does tend to cut into what was normally my prime feeding time.  Also the current workout with the heavy use of fins, chinups, 130lbs tricep pulldowns and dips, feels more like a weight lifting routine than anything I have done before.

Who knows as we head into winter I may even move my entire workout out of the pool but I would be fine with a 10-12% body fat and personally do not think 7% is desirable.  So far I have been hesitant to do much out of the water work as swimming at 220lbs has very little risk of injury compared to running and cycling just takes up too much time.

@brellium - I couldn't do a quarter of that, that sounds like a workout for someone who is already in good shape.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:45:14 AM by Salamok »
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: August 01, 2012, 06:40:17 PM

@brellium - I couldn't do a quarter of that, that sounds like a workout for someone who is already in good shape.
You're telling me, it took 4 months to build the regimen to that level, mainly for the first month I focused on my core and due to that I found I couldn't manage any push-ups when I tried a month later (core was too sore to stay in the prone position to do any).

I would recommend registering at warrior x-fit and following that daily the routine is just 20 minutes, something that should be easy to do in the morning (so long as you don't hit that snooze button, when the alarm goes off).

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01:48 AM

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with medicine balls? Changed gym recently and feel like trying new stuff out. Mainly looking to firm up my core.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:56 PM

@DraconionOne - So back on the subject of:
With four to six weeks of targeted training the body systems can adapt to a higher perfusion of mitochondrial density for increased oxygen availability for the Krebs cycle

I was thinking maybe they were hinting at something along the lines of a breath trainer.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27:01 PM

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with medicine balls? Changed gym recently and feel like trying new stuff out. Mainly looking to firm up my core.

The best way to firm up your core is to avoid most of the exercises that seem logically geared towards firming up your core.  No really!  Some of those movements are even downright bad for your spine.

If you want to do some targeted ab work (like simple crunches or something) then go for it...but some of the best ab exercises are as follows:

-Deadlifts
-Squats (particularly front squats)
-Overhead pressing of any variety (bonus points for clean and jerks, which also involve some element of front squatting if you do it right)
-Pull/Chin ups.  Lat pulldowns are okay, but don't require quite the same amount of spine stabilization.

Not surprisingly, these are also excellent exercises for other reasons as well.  The reason they work so well for your core is because they all require you to stabilize those muscles (and it is stabilization, not flexion, that you really want to work) under a significant amount of weight. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: August 06, 2012, 02:49:34 AM

@DraconionOne - So back on the subject of:
With four to six weeks of targeted training the body systems can adapt to a higher perfusion of mitochondrial density for increased oxygen availability for the Krebs cycle

I was thinking maybe they were hinting at something along the lines of a breath trainer.

I'm not sure that's right. Powerbreathe is a training tool to aid "Inspiratory Muscle Training" which is designed to improve the breathing process and affects something called the metaboreflex. Basically - when breathing muscles are worked hard (eg during strenuous exercise), oxygen gets diverted away from limbs and to the breathing muscles. So, the theory goes, directly training the breathing muscles increases the load at which the metaboreflex kicks in. What it doesn't do, which the BMR article was talking about, is affect VO2Max or mitochondrial density.

Jury's still out on Powerbreathe for me - most of the research I've found has all been carried out by the woman who commercialised the product. Having said that, she has addressed that very issue in a blog of her own and seems quite reasonable, although I'd like to see some more independent research about the benefits for myself.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:24 AM

Very useful for plyometric work/dynamic resistance work, especially for sports training. Used it in both track & field training (sit ups with ball where you throw it to a partner at the top of the sit-up, and then catch it again before the lowering phase) and rugby training (side twists and throwing it to partners either side.) Be careful if you don't have a partner as bouncing it off a wall isn't as controlled and those things can hurt if you get one in the face.  awesome, for real

Also, using a medicine ball instead of dumb-bells in complex exercises (e.g. forward lunge with overhead raise) will change the stress on target muscles and can help with stabilisers as well as working muscles through slightly different ranges of movement.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: August 06, 2012, 10:58:36 AM

In other news I'm getting to discover that paying attention to your diet actually does matter, having successfully lost a few kilos and basically spending the last year hovering about the same point with a small increase in my lifts. The Livestrong MyPlate tool on their site is really useful and has made calorie tracking far less intimidating. My only problem now is when I go out to a restaurant to eat and have to try and make up my meal from what they've got on the site.

I assume most restaurants would give you weird looks if you asked them how many calories and how many grams of protein there are in any of their dishes.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: August 06, 2012, 11:16:26 AM

Medicine balls are good for throwing around or as something to hold while you do bodyweight exercises, such as jump-squats. The best medicine ball exercises in my view tend to require a partner. Using one for chest-passes between two of you is a decent warm up exercise, or you can have one person lying on the ground who takes the ball over their head and then throws it to a partner while sitting up. You can use medicine balls for twisting exercises on a roman chair, but I'm not massively keen on those myself.

The best way to firm up your core is to avoid most of the exercises that seem logically geared towards firming up your core.  No really!  Some of those movements are even downright bad for your spine.

If you want to do some targeted ab work (like simple crunches or something) then go for it...but some of the best ab exercises are as follows:

-Deadlifts
-Squats (particularly front squats)
-Overhead pressing of any variety (bonus points for clean and jerks, which also involve some element of front squatting if you do it right)
-Pull/Chin ups.  Lat pulldowns are okay, but don't require quite the same amount of spine stabilization.

Not surprisingly, these are also excellent exercises for other reasons as well.  The reason they work so well for your core is because they all require you to stabilize those muscles (and it is stabilization, not flexion, that you really want to work) under a significant amount of weight. 

He said medicine balls, not exercise balls. Although with respect to the latter I agree with everything you say. I'd also add that I like using them with dumbbells or kettlebells. Sitting on an exercise ball doing dumbbell shoulder press, or using one under your shoulders, with feet on the floor, and doing dumbbell press will both place a dynamic strength requirement on your core. One handed kettlebell presses sitting on the ball are also decent, doing one side at a time, alternating. I wouldn't use balls for much else really. The half-balls that you can stand on are

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: August 12, 2012, 11:09:49 PM

In other news I'm getting to discover that paying attention to your diet actually does matter, having successfully lost a few kilos and basically spending the last year hovering about the same point with a small increase in my lifts. The Livestrong MyPlate tool on their site is really useful and has made calorie tracking far less intimidating. My only problem now is when I go out to a restaurant to eat and have to try and make up my meal from what they've got on the site.

I assume most restaurants would give you weird looks if you asked them how many calories and how many grams of protein there are in any of their dishes.
I have the app, it's a nice little tool.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calorie-tracker-livestrong.com/id295305241?mt=8

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:10 PM

Not really as involved as what you're all doing in here, but I ran the Sydney City 2 Surf on Sunday, which is very likely the longest distance I've ever ran. Was surprised by how much I enjoyed it as previously I've only really liked competitive sports (and bike riding) for exercise.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:23 AM

Excellent, well done. Just watched the video, that's a fuck load of people! Bet it was a great atmosphere.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: August 14, 2012, 04:42:10 AM

That's awesome - congrats lamaros!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: September 19, 2012, 02:32:55 AM

Because I think this thread shouldn't ever be off page 1, I will herewith post some mindless gym observations:

- Keep it up, fat guy.  You're not nearly as fat as you were a year ago.

- Some of you people really, really need to start wearing deodorant.  Do you have any inkling of how powerfully terrible you smell?  I don't know if it is some kind of cultural thing or something, but surely there is something you can do about it.  Maybe rub a dead squirrel over that shit, it'd probably help.  And they guy that also smells like sweaty man ass at the same time?  Fuck.

- Giant Tall Guy - you are naturally strong because of your enormous size, but you aren't helping your cause with those fake squats you are doing.  We can all see that you have five plates on each side, and that is impressive...but you are in the smith rack, and you are only slightly bending your knees.  I mean, maybe only like 30 degrees or something.  Pretty sure I can do that.  Why don't you just do real squats?  I bet you'd be good at them.

- All the regular sized guys who think they can bench press 2 plates on each side.  I know you actually can't.  You know it.  Everybody watching you knows it.  The only reason we are even watching is to see if you need an emergency spot, or to see how far you actually manage to bend your elbows before your spotter takes 70% of the weight off while you bullshit your way through 3 reps.  Who are you trying to fool anyway?  WAIT A MINUTE YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY GOING TO PUT A COUPLE OF 10s ON AS WELL ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?  Idiots.

- Steroid Guy - yes, you look impressive.  Except for your scrawny chicken legs, but whatever.  But no, your triceps and back muscles are not any bigger than there were 40 seconds ago when you last flexed for the mirror.  And yes, I know you are juicing, because your workout routine is fairly retarded and only works because of what is obviously flowing through your system.  You aren't even really particularly strong.  Shit, I can't help but notice that I am slightly stronger than you in most of the non-bro lifts.  Even so, yeah, you are pretty big, and I wish I could match some of that lifting intensity.  But can I ask you why you wear four layers of clothing, only to strip off each layer in order reveal slightly increased amounts of your amazingness?  I think I just answered my own question.  Still, you seem alright, Steroid Guy.  Now, hook me up with your dealer already.

- Ugly cougar-aged lady with the amazing rack and ass.  Why do you have to be so ugly?  It makes me feels ashamed about admiring your tits so much.

- Really skinny guy - drop those 6kg dumbells your are curling with and get thee to an all-you-can-eat buffet.

- Curling guy - seriously, weren't you here doing the same curls you were doing yesterday and the day before?  Granted, your biceps are bigger than mine (which is no great accomplishment), but I'm starting to wonder if you are even capable of performing other movements.  Are you doing some kind of biceps rehab due to an unfortunate land mine injury or something?  Fool.  You're all sizzle and no steak.

- My favorite new exercise - Forward Leaning Gravity Assisted Douchebag Cable Chest Pushdowns.  This is like doing cable crossover chest flys (or whatever) in a standing position, but where you lean forward as much as possible so that Newtonian Physics take over.  Runner up favorite new exercise: Whatever it's called when you use those gymnastics rings on the pull up bar, and just aimlessly swing and rotate and hang upside down.  What the fuck muscle are you working?  Your pussy?

That is all for now.  If you resemble any of the above, I'm just having some fun.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:08:28 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: September 19, 2012, 03:17:17 AM

Good list - which one are you?   why so serious?

My favourite guy in the gym at the moment is the one who pulls his shirt up to admire his abs in the mirror every 5 fucking minutes.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: September 19, 2012, 03:55:21 AM

Hmm, which one am I...good question.  I'm not any of the above, but that doesn't mean I don't fit into a category somewhere.  I am probably the slightly too old creeper guy who needs to stop eye-fucking all the young hot chicks.  But come on, I'm only human!  And it's certainly not my fault that one chick looks just like Olivia Wilde.

But anyway, I suppose I am the person that puts the lie to the popular belief that "don't worry about what you look like at the gym, nobody cares"...because to be honest, if you are an interesting person in any way when it comes to your gym presence, you better believe I'm observing.  That's half the fun of going to the gym.  I am quite sure I am not the only one.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: September 19, 2012, 06:41:59 AM

Speaking of stench though - anyone got any recommendations for some of my older gym clothes other than fire?  I mean, I'll wash this shit, pull it out of the dryer and it'll be smelling like it's made of a pure bouquet of spring flowers and the second a touch of sweat hits it it turns into cat piss.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: September 19, 2012, 07:10:55 AM

Hmm, which one am I...good question.  I'm not any of the above, but that doesn't mean I don't fit into a category somewhere.  I am probably the slightly too old creeper guy who needs to stop eye-fucking all the young hot chicks.  But come on, I'm only human!  And it's certainly not my fault that one chick looks just like Olivia Wilde.

But anyway, I suppose I am the person that puts the lie to the popular belief that "don't worry about what you look like at the gym, nobody cares"...because to be honest, if you are an interesting person in any way when it comes to your gym presence, you better believe I'm observing.  That's half the fun of going to the gym.  I am quite sure I am not the only one.

I tend to look at the floor between sets.  It helps me keep my rage up while simultaneously avoiding creeper-dom.

Working out in a university facility is torture.  I'm surrounded by athletic 20-something women... half of them are my students. 

"Look at the floor.  Look at the floor.  Look at the floor, asshole"  is my mantra. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #767 on: September 19, 2012, 07:38:22 AM

Dear Old - possibly gay - Guy:

Please stop running in to the changing area from the showers as you have for the last 2 weeks.  You're naked so you're not uncomfortable with yourself.  I know you're only running to trip our hunter instincts and get eyes on you.  There's only 3 of us in the room at 6:30am and it's always the same 3. We're not interested.   I'm tired of my instincts making me look and catching glimpses of your shaved sack.

Thanks.

On the upside clanging, grunting, weight-dropping douche stopped coming in the morning. He must've finally realized that the few women there from 5-6:15 weren't interested.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:56 AM

What is it about free weights that makes guys think grunting obnoxiously loud and dropping the weights is a good thing?  Monday night there were a few guys that were just annoying with the "HUNNNGH!" grunts while lifting.  And then the clang when they dropped the weights.  Added to the hogging some machines whilst off gossiping with their bros (by hogging, I mean leaving all the stuff on/at the machine and being no where in sight) and my workout that evening wasn't as complete as I would have liked it to be.

Still, they were better than the couple with the big headphones that were tag-teaming the machines that work your hamstrings.  Not just one machine, mind you, but two different ones - the Nautilus style type where you lay on your stomach and then the Freemotion machine where you stand up.  Guy would be doing one machine and girl the other, then they'd switch - over and over again.  It's there something to doing multiple sets (like 5+) to work the same muscle group?

And for all the women walking around in the volleyball style panty shorts - yeah.  I'll be honest, I'm jealous and wish I looked like that, which is why I'm the fat chick at the gym working out.  But honestly - stop sauntering around in a group occasionally and randomly doing sets.  Either workout or go to a bar to show off, but right now you're just annoying and getting in the way.  Plus I want to use that machine, so move bitch.

Taking a week and a half off for vacation was nice, because I had my evenings back, but I actually missed working out.  And I can feel it, since I ache extra-specially this morning.  Still, that's a good thing and I'm starting to feel a bit of muscle hiding under all this fat. :)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:10 AM

What is it about free weights that makes guys think grunting obnoxiously loud and dropping the weights is a good thing? 

Lifting heavy is very intense, particularly if you're doing it to failure.  I often yell/grunt on my last two reps and will get so ATP depleted that my arms fail after my last rep.  It's VERY painful to lift this way but it yields great results.  The yelling is a result of the pain involved and the rage required to get out an extra rep or two.  Dropping weights isn't something I recommend, but happens when your muscles just give up (ever see runners crash at the end of a race?  It's like that).

It is annoying... but part of the program for those of us that take lifting seriously.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: