Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Television Review: CSI: Miami S2E18 - Deadline 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Television Review: CSI: Miami S2E18 - Deadline  (Read 3112 times)
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

on: March 29, 2004, 11:00:18 PM

This week, Carusobot does not shoot death lasers from his eyes. Even more upsetting, he does not wear sunglasses when delivering the line immediately before the opening credits. This is greatly disturbing, as the doffing of the sunglasses is one of the great pleasures of this show. David Caruso's robotic tendencies are greatly satisfying, and as the Governator taught us, all good killer robots wear sunglasses. David Caruso is a very bad killer robot. This is aggravated by the sad false advertising of the previews. Carusobot does not rampage through Miami slaughtering terrorists by shooting terrifying laser beams from his eyes.

All the same, it was a good episode for Carusobot – he gets to pull guns on people, and drive at high speeds through Miami in a hummer. He just doesn't get to shoot death lasers at terrorists. All the same, David Caruso seems to have a good deal of fun being an action hero, and the scenes with the Hummer are by far the high points of the episode.

Mostly, though, the episode rather aspires to do more than it can get away with. It's simultaneously tackling Cuban pro-Castro terrorism, corrupt politicians, and Jayson Blair and Stephen Glass. It's just more than the show is really cut out to handle. The whole thing has the stink of a very special episode about it – especially with the lengthy finale of the characters cleaning up the final physical remains of the case as mournful strings play in the background. Ultimately, it's just too much – only Caruso gets any worthwhile scenes. The coroner is wasting oxygen, which is a fucking pity, and Procter only gets to shine in one scene trying to find a hidden gun.

And even with totally shafting the supporting characters, there's a lot of balls that get dropped – a corrupt politician appears for no useful reason, and some plot threads about the first murder get dropped entirely. Also, a killer inexplicably leaves a character to bleed to death in her trunk for a day or so instead of, you know, shooting her a bit more. And he clearly knows that it's going to take a while for her to die. But still, he doesn't finish her off, leading to one of the aforementioned Hummer chases. This makes no fucking sense. The whole episode makes no fucking sense. Admittedly, this is not unusual for the show, but it at least hides its incoherent plotting sometimes.

CSI: Miami is at its best when stock characters deliver satisfying one-liners. Unfortunately, it persists in trying to have some sort of meaning or emotional resonance. The sooner it stops that and lets Carusobot do what he does best – be a total cock – the show will improve dramatically.

For those of you gothic enough to enjoy White Wolf games, though, this episode did have the treat of the Carusobot walking up to a minion and declaring that he needed to see articles on Las Sombras.

CSI: Miami airs Mondays at 10/9c on CBS.

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 06:31:05 AM

Snow, do you have cable??? I just keep noticing that the TV reviews are all network stuff, and wasn't aware that the 'big 3' had made that much of a comeback.

I mainly watch sports, news, PBS, and the occasional freakshow (like the midget reality show, etc)....I personally won't pay for cable because I have plenty of games and DVDs to keep me entertained, and precious little time outside of work to vegetate.

I dunno, this format of reviewing TV shows almost becomes like a blog of 'what Snow watched on TV last night'....I just keep coming here hoping to find something interesting to read, and it's not happening.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Television Review: CSI: Miami S2E18 - Deadline  
Jump to: