Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Late to the party...just got it... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Late to the party...just got it...  (Read 16773 times)
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:35 AM

Any tips?  I'm trying out a ranger, looks like I have to shoot with my bow, then switch to melee.  Unfortunately, I'm by myself on this adventure, more trying it out for the graphics.  The animations when I do a critical are pretty cool.  Should I play a barbarian to get more of them?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:05:32 AM

Barbarians felt very squishy to me when I hit the 20s.  Conquerers felt similar to Barbarians to me, but sturdier.

Are you using your traps?  You can keep things at range a little longer with them, although it does involve more work and gets tedious having to prepare for every fight.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:40:13 AM

Yes I'm clueless, I realize now that I have traps and a bow ability that slows them down.  Reading up all the guides, at first I thought the Ranger was kind lame, but my bow seems to be doing great now @ 12 where I'm not having to switch unless I pull 3 or more.  Yesterday I was grouping with someone and it was sick how fast we were killing things.

Am I going to be disappointed later on, in that now I can kill the bosses, or will it turn into every other MMOG where you have to have a group to kill some of the bosses or be higher level?

Besides our list of resources anyone have any other input?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:04:12 AM

A tip to make life slightly easier when pulling more than one mob:

1. Go into stealth mode
2. Fire a normal shot at one of the mobs to "mesmerize" (aka "Mezz") him
3. Switch to the other target and try to kill it before the other one "wakes up"
4. Trap the secondary target when he approaches and regain some distance
5. Kill secondary target

:P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:44:25 AM

Why?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:53:44 PM

Why?

Free game, wanted to see what the new computer can handle, and no way am I giving Mythic any money or players.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 05:43:02 PM

Rangers are alot of fun, and honestly, don't feel the need to ever drop your bow for melee weps.  Can pretty much fire point blank at mobs assuming you can handle the beating.  Rangers are especially nice on pvp servers.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 04:39:20 AM

Rangers are great on PvP servers up to a certain level. They keep being good all the way to 80 but require a certain "cowardish" playstyle. They rock, but don't expect them to stand toe to toe in duels with all classes unless they can land the first shot from a distance.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 02:39:08 PM

What you would call "cowardish," I would call playing to the strengths of the class.  You freely admit that toe to toe a ranger would have a hard time beating many other classes, so why the hell would anyone who plays a ranger want to fight that way?  Dueling and 1v1's are no show of skill or ability in games where classes are not supposed to be balanced for that kind of fighting. 
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 03:23:34 PM

What you would call "cowardish," I would call playing to the strengths of the class.  You freely admit that toe to toe a ranger would have a hard time beating many other classes, so why the hell would anyone who plays a ranger want to fight that way?  Dueling and 1v1's are no show of skill or ability in games where classes are not supposed to be balanced for that kind of fighting. 

Defensive much?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:47 PM

A bit defensive, sure. But to be fair, Falconeer picked a poor choice of words. Its called ranged combat. You know, that type of combat that's been widely used since mankind figured out how to stuff gunpowder down a barrel and throw a rock in after it.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 01:26:06 PM

A bit defensive, sure. But to be fair, Falconeer picked a poor choice of words. Its called ranged combat. You know, that type of combat that's been widely used since mankind figured out how to stuff gunpowder down a barrel and throw a rock in after it.

Im pretty sure it started with just the plain rock :P

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 02:51:21 PM

I didn't pick a poor choices of words. I was referring to what on PvP server is the playstyle of MOST rangers (not all of them, of course).

While the "strength of the class" is ranged combat, hiding until your enemy is engaged with mobs and low on health to kill him from a long range and difficult to reach position is at the same time good use of the "strenght of the class" AND a cowardish playstyle. Which, of course, is fostered by the ranger characteristics AND some people love for winning.

So back to my post, they lose their edge (ranged or not) with levels. To keep that edge some infamy is required.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 03:09:45 PM

What you depicted is ganking, and something any class can do with any sense of good timing.  Simply popping out of stealth and attacking you from range is quite different, and shouldn't be described as cowardly.  There is far more pvp exp in it for me if you have full health and aren't being attacked.  That being said, if I plan on killing 3 people, I might let you get involved with a mob first.  Either way, cowardly or not, I'm not going to attack if I haven't bothered to stack the deck in my favor.  That's just stupid.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 04:44:03 PM

I am just saying the funny things you can do in PVP in the first 30 levels or so, when the ranger is uber and basically spoils whoever is playing it, require some moral adjusting later on as an upkeep for those priviledges.

Never meant to say whoever uses a bow to attack is a coward.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 11:33:42 AM

Nobody said playing cowardly wasn't smart. But I don't recall John Wayne popping out of stealth to attack some indians while they were fighting a mountain lion, you big pussy.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 02:56:13 PM

You're absolutely right.  I believe it states in the Marine Graduate Handbook, "before attacking enemies, tap them on the shoulder and ask if they would be interested in a friendly duel."  Being called a pussy makes me smile though, thats the exact same reaction you get when you kill someone for the second time while they are trying so hard to get that last quest done before bedtime. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 05:38:49 PM

Falc wasn't talking about a specific person.  Defensive much?

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 06:30:57 PM

Falc wasn't talking about a specific person.  Defensive much?

Much love  awesome, for real  Heart

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 08:59:52 PM

I suppose when a thread circles all the way around and begins to repeat itself, its a good time to bow out.  Happy hunting.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 08:17:05 AM

OMG!  The playstyle even holds up on a forum.

Someone got my back when I'm engaged in a post elsewhere? Grin

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 09:46:34 PM

So is this game worth playing yet or what?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:08 AM

Worth it, but wait for the next big patch (and server merges), second half of January.
And don't forget to roll on a PvP server. It's viable, not too harsh and lotsa fun. You'd regret rolling on PvE.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 11:19:23 PM

Worth it, but wait for the next big patch (and server merges), second half of January.

Is the next big patch going to be The One?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 03:10:20 AM

Fun was patched in long ago. It's just not the game cool kids are supposed to play.

But well, no. It will be a big, very good one with new content and stuff, and the merger will patch in more server population.
No patch can make it what it's not though. And if any patch will ever be The One, it'll be the one that patches in more PvP stuff. They are still so behind on that front.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 06:50:58 AM

You're absolutely right.  I believe it states in the Marine Graduate Handbook, "before attacking enemies, tap them on the shoulder and ask if they would be interested in a friendly duel."  Being called a pussy makes me smile though, thats the exact same reaction you get when you kill someone for the second time while they are trying so hard to get that last quest done before bedtime. 

Yes, please use more real life examples to explain why you enjoy being a douche in a GAME.  If the only way that you can kill an enemy is by attacking them while engaged in another activity, then you're either terrible, 12 years old, or both. 

You should give a fair fight a try.  The challenge may build some character.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:46:18 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 02:30:58 PM

How are HoX doing in PVP these days?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

HoXes are good and fun in PvP, both dueling and mass stuff. The biggest problem with PvP right now is that in november they broke some stuff and made Tempest of Sets and Necromancers totally overpowered, especially in mass mayhem situations being able to oneshot everything with less than 5000 HP. Next patch is supposed to fix this, but HoX are going strong anyway on PvP servers. Fun, strong, dynamic class.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 03:40:31 PM

"Yes, please use more real life examples to explain why you enjoy being a douche in a GAME.  If the only way that you can kill an enemy is by attacking them while engaged in another activity, then you're either terrible, 12 years old, or both.  You should give a fair fight a try.  The challenge may build some character."

First of all, I believe I made the clarification that attacking someone while they were attacking someone was ganking.  I never posted in this thread to defend ganking.  I posted in this thread to explain that the nature of ranger combat was not inherently cowardish.  I'm assuming you didn't read the whole thread so I'll let that slide.

Secondly, what is a fair fight?  How can a lvl 50 ranger kill a lvl 55 barbarian in a fair fight?  I would tell you there is no such circumstance of that happening without the ranger using surprise to his advantage.  In your world, and in your mind, pvp is something that happens between two equal competitors who stand toe to toe and type /duel then battle out letting only their true skill in video combat decide the outcome.  Obviously there are far more variables involved like the rock, scissors, paper nature of class balance, levels, the gear of the combatants and yes, of course, the skill.

So if you want to argue that the guy that waits for you to be half health fighting a mob before he attacks  is a pussy, I'll save you many lines of text and agree.  But simply coming out of stealth at an innoportune moment for the victim and killing them is not.  I have to wonder why half of you even play on pvp servers, when all you really want is a place where you can /duel fair fights when your in the mood for it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 12:32:51 AM

It's 2009, if you're getting ganked in an MMO it's because you deliberately went looking for the type of game/server where ganking happens. I have/would gank the shit out of someone and not even care. (Not in Conan, because well, lol, but in WoW) Yes while you're fighting a mob. What?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:16 AM

Nothing wrong with it. As nothing is wrong with the word "cowardish" applied to a certain, completely legit, playstyle.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 08:40:12 AM

Anyone who takes that much offense at being called a coward probably is one.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 08:45:07 AM

Anyone who takes that much offense at being called a coward probably is one.

That goes for people taking offense by most things, actually.  If being called something bothers you, you should probably take a moment for some internal reflection.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 08:34:29 AM

Hey, I thought that ganking pussy bowed out of this circular thread.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:40 AM

Hey, I thought that ganking pussy bowed out of this circular thread.

Are you really bored today or something?  Or just dabbling in necromancy?

-Rasix
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Late to the party...just got it...  
Jump to: