Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 6 Insane Discoveries That Science Can't Explain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 Insane Discoveries That Science Can't Explain  (Read 4896 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: December 18, 2008, 06:31:46 AM

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:59:21 AM

Apparently the Antikythera has been explained. Which doesn't make it less impressive.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:13:18 AM

I'm disappointed it wasn't a time machine.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:37:20 AM

how about a summary for those of us at work that can't access the site due to IT blockage.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:38:48 AM

If you mean a summary of the Antikythera explanation:

A British museum curator has built a working replica of a 2,000-year-old Greek machine that has been called the world's first computer.

A dictionary-size assemblage of 37 interlocking dials crafted with the precision and complexity of a 19th-century Swiss clock, the Antikythera mechanism was used for modeling and predicting the movements of the heavenly bodies as well as the dates and locations of upcoming Olympic games.

The original 81 shards of the Antikythera were recovered from under the sea (near the Greek island of Antikythera) in 1902, rusted and clumped together in a nearly indecipherable mass. Scientists dated it to 150 B.C. Such craftsmanship wouldn't be seen for another 1,000 years — but its purpose was a mystery for decades.

Many scientists have worked since the 1950s to piece together the story, with the help of some very sophisticated imaging technology in recent years, including X-ray and gamma-ray imaging and 3-D computer modeling.

Now, though, it has been rebuilt. As is almost always the way with these things, it was an amateur who cracked it. Michael Wright, a former curator at the Science Museum in London, has built a replica of the Antikythera, which works perfectly.

In the video from New Scientist below, Wright shows how the machine works.

In short, Antikythera's user interface is deceptively simple, operated by a simple knob on the side. This conceals the intricacy within, amounting to a complex mathematical model, tracking the movements of planetary bodies and incorporating a series of submechanisms to account for the eccentricities of their rotation.

A dial on the faceplace featured the Greek zodiac and an Egyptian calendar; pointers showed the location of the moon and the five planets known at the time. On the machine's back, an upper dial shows a 19-year calendar (matching the solunar cycle) and the timing of upcoming Olympic games. A lower dial shows a 76-year cycle (when the Olympic and solunar cycles coincide) and indicates the months in which lunar and solar eclipses can be expected.

According to New Scientist, this is the first working model of the Antikythera computer to include all of the device's known features. And, like the original machine, it has been built of recycled metal plates. That's right: The Antikythera mechanism is not only the world's oldest computer, it's also the world's first green computer.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:17:20 AM

I'm disappointed it wasn't a time machine.

don't be disappointed then because it actually is a time machine.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:35:49 AM

The pipes have been explained as well. They have also been found here in the US both in Utah/Arizona and Lousiana.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:41:12 AM

Explained as what ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:41:46 AM

I, too, thought his post was informative.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 08:52:00 AM

He can't tell you that, because then he'd have to kill you.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:52:34 AM

They are the result of naturally accreting hematite along strata lines and natural chimneys in the sandstone.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:55:16 AM

Dude, nice try, but we'd prefer a scientific explanation.  swamp poop

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:00:30 AM

Dude, nice try, but we'd prefer a scientific explanation.  swamp poop
It's a liberal conspiracy to suppress the truth. The pipes are clearly evidence of creationism and were probably part of Noah's dry dock, all that animal dung has to be flushed away somewhere amirite?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:02 AM

That's something I can get onboard with.  Haha, get it?  Onboard?

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:39 AM

They are the result of naturally accreting hematite along strata lines and natural chimneys in the sandstone.
Hah, since I played Dwarf Fortress I actually know what hematite is. Still waiting for them to put the strata lines in though.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 08:08:56 AM

Explained as what ?

WTF am I? The google fairy? Look it up.

(Sorry I have always wanted to say that. Love yah. Mean it.)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 08:52:30 AM

Something tells me that a Google fairy would not be safe for work.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 09:28:53 AM

It's surprisingly benign and boring.  Sorry.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 05:17:12 AM

Funny article. They really got me on Gozer the Gozarian (--geekcred if you had to look it up), followed closely by the Voltron reference.

Is this the same Cracked that was spun off from Mad Magazine?
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 05:18:43 AM

It was, then it joined with the Pointless Waste of Time community.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 09:53:48 AM

Ok, guess I needed to be at this site much sooner: "From fur trapper, to wilderness guide, to frontier warrior, Kit Carson was so much man that he actually defecated Chuck Norris. "   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Mighta been better if "defecated" was "shit", but still good.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:38 PM

It's surprisingly benign and boring.  Sorry.

Man, what did I ever do to you?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 02:36:24 PM

Searching for "Google fairy", not your article.   tongue

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 6 Insane Discoveries That Science Can't Explain  
Jump to: