Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Recruiter told not to hire WoW players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recruiter told not to hire WoW players  (Read 497159 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #385 on: December 29, 2008, 10:35:54 AM

The f13 comment section? You all have a non comment section!?
That would be the frontpage, which, while it's not the place where stuff happens here, pretty much serves as the public front face of the site, especially to someone who's never been here before.

There's a frontpage?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #386 on: December 29, 2008, 10:49:02 AM

Every time someone goes there an angel gets its wings.

I have never played WoW.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: December 29, 2008, 11:37:48 AM

I think you're glossing over the fact that it's a really tiny minority of MMO players that aim to learn or even want to learn anything from playing. Most are there to *escape* challenge and responsibility. The better they do not learn anything particularly useful, the happier they'll be.
How many people going to a pancake house to learn valuable life skills?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #388 on: December 29, 2008, 11:55:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoKZhaigLQA
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #389 on: December 29, 2008, 12:29:53 PM

WoW? Project Management? If I were to go into recruiting, I wouldn't give a shit if you played WoW and think it makes you a good project manager. You still have no concept of basic project management principles and not to mention I'd rather have someone who is a certified Project Manager. Unless Blizzard starts charging customers to get an authentic Blizzard Certificate of Project Management Training.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: December 29, 2008, 12:42:00 PM

WoW? Project Management? If I were to go into recruiting, I wouldn't give a shit if you played WoW and think it makes you a good project manager. You still have no concept of basic project management principles and not to mention I'd rather have someone who is a certified Project Manager. Unless Blizzard starts charging customers to get an authentic Blizzard Certificate of Project Management Training.

It's the logical next step of the achievement system.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: December 29, 2008, 01:14:29 PM

It's the logical next step of the achievement system.

Only available through RMT!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: December 29, 2008, 02:54:09 PM

I think you're glossing over the fact that it's a really tiny minority of MMO players that aim to learn or even want to learn anything from playing. Most are there to *escape* challenge and responsibility. The better they do not learn anything particularly useful, the happier they'll be.
Nobody, but learning new skills is in your interest at a job (unless flipping burgers is just that delicious to you!), because it'll let you get a better job, which will offer new opportunities to learn and advance further. You don't have to learn anything in an MMO, because nothing in it really matters. Tired of drama? Let the guild collapse. It's not a big deal. You're possibly even doing a bunch of people a personal favour.

My point is, even if you're really really trying to learn something, you never really really have to learn anything in an MMO. People tend learn both better and faster when their floppy, physical ass is on the line. The kind of ass you have to bring into work everyday, for example. So, in my opinion, regardless of whether you *can* learn something, it's worth nothing because you haven't really learned to take the responsibility that comes with using that skill.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: December 29, 2008, 03:25:03 PM

Ok. I somewhat agree. The part I don't with you on though is the first "let the guild splinter" part. This shit be realz for lots of people. You can't spend 5 hours a day on it and have it not affect you in some way deep. I'm not talking "sign my guild charter for 20gp" nametag customizers though. More like the guilds that have traveled entire games together for six to ten years. These types of groups are why raids work (and what makes pickup raids something to be faired).

So while I agree JUST relying on MMOs as your school of hard knocks is stupid, it can help if you do take some of it serious when you're surrounded by people who may.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: December 30, 2008, 10:42:44 AM

Thanks Tale, and grats to the one german journalist who tried.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:08 PM

I stopped reading this thread when I saw a similar one over on FOH.  Holy fuck I missed a lot of teh funny.

Oh and: Total time logged in: 16 days, 18 hours and 23 minutes.

Damn.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #396 on: December 31, 2008, 09:41:33 PM

IBM sez: "We'll hire you lifeless WoW gaming freaks"

... of course, the article doesn't say that explicitly, but I thought I'd keep with the theme of not really reading the article before posting it.

Of course, why would you want to work for IBM when their global executive in charge of games and interactive entertainment holds this view of employing someone:

"And I said well why not hire the janitor and fire him when you are done.

awesome, for real Quoting out of context!  awesome, for real

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #397 on: January 01, 2009, 03:19:23 AM

IBM sez: "We'll hire you lifeless WoW gaming freaks"

... of course, the article doesn't say that explicitly, but I thought I'd keep with the theme of not really reading the article before posting it.

Thanks to the BBC for demonstrating journalism 101. They rang IBM, got some grabs and made an actual story out of it. Hopefully just on instinct, not because I bemoaned the lack of such a story above. Then again, they did take the opportunity to attribute the original lead to The New York Times' crappy blog and call it by the newspaper's name, as if to say "see, your blogs ARE part of your newspaper brand".
heidaro
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: January 02, 2009, 05:52:30 AM

I do agree that some MMO players are a bit too hooked on the game and not many other things get their attention whereas most aren't. I was like this myself once. After this phase however, I feel the skills that I earned are worth it and that I am a better individual after it.

On the other hand, I think that football fans are worse, people that never think about anyting else than football. They're like what I described above but more or less do not get any valuable skills. That's my opinion anyway.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: January 02, 2009, 07:36:48 AM

They do have a much easier time finding random conversation at work and family events though smiley
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:14 AM

IBM had this to say about their upcoming MMO and how they chose their lead designer:

"And I said well why not hire the janitor and fire him when you are done.

BBC1 hire me now, I can journalize.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: January 02, 2009, 11:54:01 AM

When asked if they'd consider banning employees from playing WoW at work, Mr Laux said
If I do that then employee morale will go down and productivity will go down and it may cost more in the long run

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: January 02, 2009, 02:00:44 PM

The NYT editor in chief, when asked whether he enjoys sex with tarantulas, has been quoted to say:

...yes...

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #403 on: January 04, 2009, 11:32:07 AM

Tumeroks - People are STILL fucking it up after the edit of the first post. Unfreakingreal.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:37 AM

Tumeroks - People are STILL fucking it up after the edit of the first post. Unfreakingreal.

He did quote the actual thread instead of just linking to it.

And then made up a bunch of shit.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #405 on: January 04, 2009, 02:45:45 PM

They do have a much easier time finding random conversation at work and family events though smiley

That's networking. Their valuable connections will make them boardroom material.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: January 04, 2009, 03:45:24 PM

Right. Unless you're in the video game business, you'll have an easier time striking up conversation about mainstream sports than about even mainstream video games, much less WoW. And heck, even if you're in the industry, you don't want to come across all frothing lunatic 10+hr/day fanboi or you'll be considered merely a hobbiest with a title  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #407 on: January 04, 2009, 03:59:42 PM

That article was on digg's second page when I looked a bit ago. It was probably on page 1 not too long before that.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #408 on: January 19, 2009, 05:41:07 AM

And the fail train keeps a-rolling.

This time courtesy of TTH who are referencing an AsiaOne story that was itself first published in the Straits Times (subscription required). None of these latest iterations referenced F13 in any way (Tale is referred to as 'a blogger' and there is no link to any source).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:24:13 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #409 on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:08 AM

we should have a new thread on just games journalism
Dallasjmoore
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: December 25, 2009, 05:41:50 PM

I own a company and I play wow quite often myself. I strongly encourage my employees to play WOW for at least a few hours a week. When my employees and I play WOW in groups it teaches them teamwork and it also gets them comfortable working with each other.  It can help them learn leadership skills as well as some good social skills. Sometimes I will joke by calling certain tasks at work "quests." Just by observing them you can see who will help others, who will take charge, etc.  Its a good method to better understand their personalities. 

Now don't get me wrong,  if it effects ones work performance and becomes a distraction, then there is an issue.  But that is the case with anything...addictions, depression, irresponsibility, etc.  Personally I don't care what any of my employees do on their own time as long as the work gets done efficiently when they are here.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #411 on: December 25, 2009, 06:05:09 PM

I own a company and I play wow quite often myself. I strongly encourage my employees to play WOW for at least a few hours a week. When my employees and I play WOW in groups it teaches them teamwork and it also gets them comfortable working with each other.  It can help them learn leadership skills as well as some good social skills. Sometimes I will joke by calling certain tasks at work "quests." Just by observing them you can see who will help others, who will take charge, etc.  Its a good method to better understand their personalities. 

Now don't get me wrong,  if it effects ones work performance and becomes a distraction, then there is an issue.  But that is the case with anything...addictions, depression, irresponsibility, etc.  Personally I don't care what any of my employees do on their own time as long as the work gets done efficiently when they are here.

Wow.  Nice hello thread, welcome to NECROMANCY.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #412 on: December 25, 2009, 06:45:44 PM

Only a year late. Jesus.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #413 on: December 25, 2009, 07:36:46 PM

I sometimes wonder how people even come across such old threads.
schild
Administrator

Reply #414 on: December 25, 2009, 08:31:26 PM

External links Nix.

Mystery solved.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: December 26, 2009, 04:52:56 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: December 26, 2009, 05:55:45 PM

Would you sack someone who was suffering from depression?
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: December 26, 2009, 06:09:52 PM

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #418 on: December 27, 2009, 08:56:15 AM

Would you sack someone who was suffering from depression?

Is that illegal in the states? I'm not up on your labour laws.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #419 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:22 AM

Depends on the state, IIRC. We all have our own different labor & hiring/ firing laws.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Recruiter told not to hire WoW players  
Jump to: