Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Milk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Milk  (Read 2499 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:56 PM

Just got home from seeing this.  I enjoyed it a lot. 

More than a little eerie to see how many parallels there were between the Prop 6 fight 30 years ago and the Prop 8 fight today. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:03:48 AM

Okay, that's kind of freaky. Sean Penn as Harvey Milk. Jesus, now I really feel like a minority.

Hadn't heard of this, but I'll have to see it.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:24:06 AM

Haven't seen this yet, but need to.  All I can say is that I went on a picture taking/walking day through San Francisco several months ago, and went walking up to the front steps of city hall as they were filming this.  I didn't even realize it, and it looked like they were giving a press conference on the steps of city hall.  I went walking into the middle of it with my Cannon thinking "Cool!  Whats going on here!  Something official!" and was almost tackled by several very angry security guards.  It was shortly after that I noticed that for some reason, everybody was wearing ugly 70's looking suits, had side burns, and all the cars nearby looked really old....

But yeah, go see the movie, just because the story of Harvey Milk is so strange yet so unknown outside of California that it deserves to be told.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 01:50:59 AM

I'm getting this in next week, so I'm looking forward to watching it.  Going to be a busy weekend at work for me though since I work at one of the bigger theaters in the Bay Area.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 03:34:59 PM

Just got home from watching this. I hope Penn get an Oscar for this performance, and maybe Van Sant for directing it.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 03:45:26 PM

Just got home from watching this. I hope Penn get an Oscar for this performance, and maybe Van Sant for directing it.

That would be another case of throwing away an Oscar. If it doesn't go to Ledger or Langella, something is wrong. We need an Oscars thread.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 03:57:06 PM

Penn got his nod with Mystic River... Probably won't get one again.

Seems like everyone's intentionally trying to get an Oscar with all of these "human interest" stories coming out. Pitt, Penn, even Will Smith.

Revolutionary Road isn't out yet, but apparently, DiCaprio and Winslet both are really good in it. Then there's Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt.

Last but not least, Mickey Rourke apparently kicks ass in the Wrestler. It's the only one of these I really care to see.

Anyhow, Ledger isn't going to win. That's all I know.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 07:19:11 PM

Best movie of the year (as far as I can remember), Penn definitely should get the Oscar for Best Actor.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 06:33:50 PM

Very good film, although sad on a couple of different levels: 1) what happened and 2) that we are still fighting over giving gay people civil rights 30 years later.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:01:39 AM

The scene that made me go WTF was the bit where Milk was telling the gay political machine that they were making a mistake by not referring to gay people explicitly in their advertisements, because people needed to be reminded of who exactly the thing was going to affect if it passed.  Remember the last week or so of the anti-8 campaign where they decided that they had to appeal to "moderate" voters by not mentioning the scary gays in any of their TV spots?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Milk  
Jump to: