Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avatar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 177141 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57:13 PM

(beside the Terminators, the best Schwarzy movie by far, IMO. It was really hilarious and action was nice).

Predator, Last Action Hero and Total Recall are better Arnie movies than True Lies. True Lies is decent, but it's not his next best movie after Terminator 2 by a long shot. IMO of course  why so serious?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 01:06:53 PM

I'd agree on you with Predator, but True Lies is way better than Last Action Hero or Total Recall.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 01:31:54 PM

Conan the Barbarian>Terminator>Predator>Total Recall>True Lies> other stuff

Total Recall and True Lies are interchangeable in the rankings.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 01:57:13 PM

I'm with the folks who get a bad feeling from the trailer. It may just be that it doesn't look good on a small screen, but the art direction on the aliens really looks wrong if the film isn't aiming for the kiddie market.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 05:16:30 PM

I'm with the folks who get a bad feeling from the trailer. It may just be that it doesn't look good on a small screen, but the art direction on the aliens really looks wrong if the film isn't aiming for the kiddie market.

I think it's definitely aiming for a young market. Oh the story might be serious but it's still gonna be geared towards kids with the blue monkey people.  I guess I was just expecting something more serious sci-fi, the movie might be good in its way but it doesnt look like its something i'd need to watch in the theatre.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 05:19:15 PM

I guessing that's intended. Cutesy, pastel aliens (THE GOOD GUYS) contrast with the angular, metallic war machines (THE BAD GUYS)... somebody wanted to make a version of Ferngully for the big summer action movie crowd.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 05:45:36 PM

I did not mean to besmirch Cameron's work before Titanic, I loved the Abyss and Terminator 1/2,  but Titanic  was given awards and got acclaim more because of it's gross box office receipts than because of it's chops as a movie. At the time it cost so much that no single studio was willing to put up the dough to produce it. Sure, the sinking of the boat was cool and all, but it was definitely not the best film that year. L.A. Confidential was far and away better, and the other 3 movies up were also at least as good (and an hour shorter).

I will stick with my statement that Cameron's work after Terminator 2 has all been pretty meh and more about serving his ego than anything else. This is all a matter of opinion, of course.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 07:18:51 PM

DiCaprio has always been a great actor.  The people who think otherwise were almost universally in /middle school at the time of Titanic's release and were forced to hate DiCaprio and everything he stood for on principle.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 07:52:17 PM

This is just about right. I love me some Conan the Barbarian.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 07:59:06 PM

This is just about right. I love me some Conan the Barbarian.

Duh, I forgot about Total Recall, loved the movie and Arnold performance in it, at least on par with True Lies (not really liked him in Predator).

Conan the Barbarian was more of a "fantasy musical", c'mon, thanks to the great score by Basil Poledouris, but not exactly remembered for great acting :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 09:37:49 PM

DiCaprio has always been a great actor.  The people who think otherwise were almost universally in /middle school at the time of Titanic's release and were forced to hate DiCaprio and everything he stood for on principle.

Well, the Basketball Diaries in 1995 were phenomenal.  Everything prior to that was utter shite.  Titanic was pretty much a first for him.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 10:46:31 PM

I did not mean to besmirch Cameron's work before Titanic, I loved the Abyss and Terminator 1/2,  but Titanic  was given awards and got acclaim more because of it's gross box office receipts than because of it's chops as a movie. At the time it cost so much that no single studio was willing to put up the dough to produce it. Sure, the sinking of the boat was cool and all, but it was definitely not the best film that year. L.A. Confidential was far and away better, and the other 3 movies up were also at least as good (and an hour shorter).

I will stick with my statement that Cameron's work after Terminator 2 has all been pretty meh and more about serving his ego than anything else. This is all a matter of opinion, of course.

LA Confidential was a slow ass snooze fest.

And True Lies beats Total Recall any night of the week and twice on Sunday. That scene where he is out on the Martian slope succumbing to the lack of atmosphere before oxygen starts pouring out of the mountains.....sucked. The set design in Total Recall? Sucked.  "Hey we are to cheap to spend money on set design so we will film the whole thing as if they were in tunnels!"

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 23, 2009, 12:44:03 AM

I'm fine with you saying things I disagree with when Schwarzenegger is concerned, but L.A. Confidential is anything but a slow ass snooze fest.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #48 on: August 23, 2009, 01:44:13 AM

Conan the Barbarian was more of a "fantasy musical", c'mon, thanks to the great score by Basil Poledouris, but not exactly remembered for great acting :)

Hey, James Earl Jones was good. And while Arnold doesn't exactly act, he plays a part very well-suited to his strengths. He's like John Wayne that way. He doesn't have any sort of actual range, but as long as you cast him in the right part he'll carry it off in a way nobody else can.

And anyway, who gives a fuck? You don't watch Conan for acting, you watch it to see a giant snake get decapitated with it's head nailed to a wall by arrows, and guys go into a pagan orgy where people are practicing cannibalism and turning into snakes and shit and then they go in and kill everyone and set everything on fire. Man, that's a movie.

They just don't make them like that anymore. We need more movies with tits and giant snakes and gratuitous beheadings.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 23, 2009, 01:48:21 AM

He also punched a Camel for lookin at him funny!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: August 23, 2009, 01:51:52 AM

DiCaprio has always been a great actor.  The people who think otherwise were almost universally in /middle school at the time of Titanic's release and were forced to hate DiCaprio and everything he stood for on principle.
Titanic led to me getting a lot of action and I <3 DiCaprio as far as young actors go. But every performance in that, including his, was shit.

I think I was a junior in high school when it came out. I had to see it 5 times, mostly because, well, who's going to turn down high school chicks?

It is the weakest and yet somehow most spectacular bullet point on his CV.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: August 23, 2009, 10:14:08 AM

No. The DiCaprio hate is BECAUSE of movies like Titanic, Romeo and Juliet, etc. where he is essentially playing the same goddamn annoying, douchey character. I was well-past college when I saw Titanic and it was SHIT. The last 20 minutes when the boat sinks was the only redeeming part. The other two hours of the movie was tweener girl wankmeat. Now, luckily I've seen DiCaprio in Blood Diamond, which changed my mind about him completely. He can act, but I have to be convinced that the movie is good before I'll see a movie that he's in.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #52 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:38 PM

No. The DiCaprio hate is BECAUSE of movies like Titanic, Romeo and Juliet, etc. where he is essentially playing the same goddamn annoying, douchey character. I was well-past college when I saw Titanic and it was SHIT. The last 20 minutes when the boat sinks was the only redeeming part. The other two hours of the movie was tweener girl wankmeat. Now, luckily I've seen DiCaprio in Blood Diamond, which changed my mind about him completely. He can act, but I have to be convinced that the movie is good before I'll see a movie that he's in.

I concur. The hate is not so much for the actor but the assbag roles he had (whether by choice or otherwise). Gilbert Grape was his break out and I can't forget him in Basketball Diaries which lured me into a false sense of security. The string of crap roles he got after that pushed his movies down the pipe for me, even The Beach, which i liked the story about, did nothing for him. Only after Catch Me and even Gangs did he start to climb back but never hit it till Blood Diamond and Body of Lies.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:02 AM

Never watched Titanic and never will. I got enough hate from the commercials, the song, and it being constantly in my face with pop culture references. How many times do I have to see a recreation of them being on the prow of the ship? I will stab a mother fucker...

Ahem... anyways. Ya, used to hate on Leonardo myself for a variety of reasons and not just Titanic's overwhelming presence. But the same movies already mentioned have changed my mind about him as well. He's a pretty damn good actor.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 24, 2009, 10:05:25 AM

Pretty much.  I hated DiCaprio up until The Aviator - which I thought he did a fantastic job in.  Then The Departed blew me away.  Then Blood Diamond.  Then Body of Lies.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 24, 2009, 10:37:17 AM

Then The Departed blew me away. 

Oh fuck ya! I can't believe I didn't mention that one.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: August 24, 2009, 12:39:36 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 29, 2009, 12:04:17 PM

I do believe this describes everything perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPyipuT-Jg
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #58 on: August 29, 2009, 12:25:51 PM

I do believe this describes everything perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPyipuT-Jg

Meh, that's probably the least funny one of those I've seen.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 29, 2009, 08:38:27 PM

This reminded me too much of District 9 and,yes, Ferngully. Halo universe too except with a sympathetic covenant.

Fuck until I saw this trailer I though James was making a movie based on the Last Airbender.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:42:13 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 30, 2009, 02:40:05 AM

That confused me too Lorekeep; I kept asking when M Knight Shamalamadingdong and Cameron started working together; wasn't until I saw the trailer for this in theaters that I realized they were making two different movies.

That said, the trailer looked...wierd enough that I'm going to wait for a DVD release.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 30, 2009, 04:05:26 AM

That said, the trailer looked...wierd enough that I'm going to wait for a DVD release.

Isn't that just going to make the experience worse? I mean, at least in a proper movie theater you get the spectacle of it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: August 30, 2009, 06:42:24 AM

DiCaprio has always been a great actor.  The people who think otherwise were almost universally in /middle school at the time of Titanic's release and were forced to hate DiCaprio and everything he stood for on principle.

Pretty much.  I hated DiCaprio up until The Aviator - which I thought he did a fantastic job in.  Then The Departed blew me away.  Then Blood Diamond.  Then Body of Lies.
NO. The American version simply did not work the way the story was intended to. If you liked Departed, you owe it to yourself to watch the original, Infernal Affairs. The American one, while decently acted, was a big pile of ass compared to the Asian version. And this isn't some "lol i liek asia" thing. It's simply the superior movie. Some parts are acted better, some worse, but the movie itself is better paced and simply comes across as the genuine article whereas the American one is paced POORLY and comes across as a bad homage (though not the outright theft a Tarantino film turns out).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 30, 2009, 01:04:22 PM

Isn't that just going to make the experience worse? I mean, at least in a proper movie theater you get the spectacle of it.
Probably, but I can watch a DVD at a friend's house or via Netflix for free, rather than blow $10 on a maybe.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #64 on: August 30, 2009, 01:52:29 PM

NO. The American version simply did not work the way the story was intended to. If you liked Departed, you owe it to yourself to watch the original, Infernal Affairs. The American one, while decently acted, was a big pile of ass compared to the Asian version. And this isn't some "lol i liek asia" thing. It's simply the superior movie. Some parts are acted better, some worse, but the movie itself is better paced and simply comes across as the genuine article whereas the American one is paced POORLY and comes across as a bad homage (though not the outright theft a Tarantino film turns out).

This. I can't stand people who say Scorsese made a great movie when all he did was take a better movie and make it HOLLYWOOD!!!11!

He ruined the ending too.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 07:57:58 AM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 23, 2009, 01:43:54 PM

There is a new trailer out.  A full length one, not a teaser, but unfortunately, i can't seem to find it online at the moment (we just got it in to be placed on some of the new releases at my theater this week).

I'm going to have to go with the people who were saying that this looks like it i going to be a Blockbuster Action version of Fern Gully with Space Marines and sexy aliens., with a bit of Titanic Love Story thrown in.

Probably be a good popcorn flick.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 29, 2009, 09:22:17 PM

Anyone heard of this? Opinions?

Cameron is putting a lot of effort into the movie's 3D effects.  The footage he's shown off to other directors and people in the industry has gotten a lot of positive response.

I was reading several accounts where James Cameron wanted to film Avatar right after titanic.  At the time he supposedly couldn't film it because the special effects couldn't be done.   Only recently the article claimed that advances had made not only Avatar possible but feasible to fund.  It will be very interesting to see what he comes up with.  I am hoping personally for a really great movie, but I have seen quite a few high budget special effects movies lately not being worth the price of admission.  I guess we will see...

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 31, 2009, 03:12:03 AM

The new, longer trailer, is now up at http://www.avatarmovie.com/

Still getting that Fern Gully with Space Marines vibe.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: October 31, 2009, 06:16:47 AM

The new, longer trailer, is now up at http://www.avatarmovie.com/

Still getting that Fern Gully with Space Marines vibe.

My wife said, "It looks like Fern Gully with CGI," when I showed her the trailer.  Heh.   If that movie had been bigger that might be an issue.  Hell, that it wasn't that big might also be an issue since Avatar seems to have the same "Technology bad, hippie life good" vibe.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:32:19 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avatar  
Jump to: