Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: LEFT 4 DEAD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LEFT 4 DEAD  (Read 49275 times)
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:41 PM

That's the one. On the ground level, inside the house, are two closets set opposite each other toward the back of the building.

edit:

Chet Faliszek: ...we've all played [Left 4 Dead] now, we all play it now, we see things like [players] stacking in the corner and stuff, and we want to avoid it.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1138
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:17:17 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #141 on: June 03, 2009, 11:24:13 PM

Played L4D today at Valve's room, it fucking rocks the house.  Everything is more refined, I had such a fun goddamn time playing it.  Best thing at E3, besides God of War 3!

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 07:27:08 AM

Are there any new infected types?  Or changes/enhancements to the existing ones?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 07:28:36 AM

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 04, 2009, 08:35:48 AM

Original atmosphere gone. Like i said, its like TF2 and L4D had a baby. Not really enjoying the new stylized look. They had it right already.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:00 AM

Original atmosphere gone. Like i said, its like TF2 and L4D had a baby. Not really enjoying the new stylized look. They had it right already.

WTH are you talking about?  That looks nothing at all like TF2, not one bit.  What exactly is "stylized" in that picture?
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:35 AM

It'll be fun for a bit, I'm sure. It's Valve.

But a sequel within a year of the original? From Valve? That's a paid-for rush-job.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:07 AM

L4D was set at night, L4D2 has day time maps. Obviously tf2 has something to do with it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #148 on: June 04, 2009, 08:46:58 AM

While I don't agree with MBW on that TF2 stuff...

I do agree with Fabricated that Uncle Phil is one of the weirder choices for a character.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #149 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:29 AM

WTH are you talking about?  That looks nothing at all like TF2, not one bit.  What exactly is "stylized" in that picture?
It's the less-detailed TF2-style textures. The models aren't stylized like TF2 is.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 04, 2009, 09:30:21 AM

It's the less-detailed TF2-style textures. The models aren't stylized like TF2 is.

That, and the bright colors, And what looks like the lack of all the post process stuff they were so proud of.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #151 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:44 AM

Fact: ever since the release of TF2, every time Valve announces a new project, every retard on the Internet says "OMG THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE IT ALL CARTOONY JUST LIKE TF2 RAAAAAGE."

I mention this as an interesting piece of trivia, nothing more.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #152 on: June 04, 2009, 10:16:52 AM

But a sequel within a year of the original? From Valve? That's a paid-for rush-job.

From the sounds of it, the developers were just really excited to keep working on L4D even after the game released.
schild
Administrator

Reply #153 on: June 04, 2009, 11:15:30 AM

From the sounds of it, the developers were just really excited to keep working on L4D even after the game released.
I'd be shocked if ANYONE at Valve isn't excited to keep working on ANY of their licenses.

Here's how I see it:
This would've been free content if Microsoft didn't get their panties in a bunch when Valve wanted to make the TF2 stuff free on the marketplace instead of charging users. Not to mention the Versus patches. Valve has never been in the business of nickle and diming and really, this is a step beyond that. Four new players, some new maps and melee simply isn't something I can see Valve charging for in a console world where Microsoft didn't exist. But Microsoft said no and EA probably brought down the hammer as well, so Valve had to expand the content a bit to make it worth another $60. It just doesn't strike me as Valve-like, excitement or not.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 04, 2009, 11:23:34 AM

Fact: ever since the release of TF2, every time Valve announces a new project, every retard on the Internet says "OMG THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE IT ALL CARTOONY JUST LIKE TF2 RAAAAAGE."

I mention this as an interesting piece of trivia, nothing more.

Good thing i didn't say that then.Allow me to explain my comments then, I was only pointing out, that some of it was similar, I in no way was trying to say that it was drastic, just, that it was there. I also do not use the word cartoon for everything stylized, i use it for cartoons. We had this conversation.

It is not beyond reason to think they would bring some of the optimizations that the styling or creation of assets brought to TF2, to other games, ESPECIALLY if its the same artists making the assets. I do not think its a coincidence that in a lot of the screen shots i have seen, just about every screen, or view had some of the same colors that are very prominent in TF2.

Case in point, the shot i posted above, the player avatars have been intentional "pushed out" of the background with color, to the point of almost being color coded (something TF2, and really any good factional FPS games uses), this is in opposition to the horror gritty look of the original, where at times, other than silhouette, the players could easily be confused for zombie.

I just enjoyed the refined, and accurately captured Horror "Grit" the first one had, that seems to have been lessened in this sequel.

All that said, you know i will buy it, and i am sure it will be just as fun as the original, but for me, visually the atmosphere has been compromised.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:29:18 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #155 on: June 04, 2009, 11:35:34 AM

I'd be shocked if ANYONE at Valve isn't excited to keep working on ANY of their licenses.

Here's how I see it:
This would've been free content if Microsoft didn't get their panties in a bunch when Valve wanted to make the TF2 stuff free on the marketplace instead of charging users. Not to mention the Versus patches. Valve has never been in the business of nickle and diming and really, this is a step beyond that. Four new players, some new maps and melee simply isn't something I can see Valve charging for in a console world where Microsoft didn't exist. But Microsoft said no and EA probably brought down the hammer as well, so Valve had to expand the content a bit to make it worth another $60. It just doesn't strike me as Valve-like, excitement or not.

Gamasutra actually has an article up about it.  They've also pointed out elsewhere that one of the main reasons they're doing this as a sequel instead of just patching stuff in is because the changes made to the Director would have been to difficult to try to patch in.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #156 on: June 04, 2009, 11:45:10 AM

Has anyone ever used director's mode in the first one?  I didn't even know it existed or what it does or how I would know if it was in use.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
It sounds like it should be a way for a human to control the zombie spawns and whatnot, like a DM with limited resources or versus with chat turned off and no side switching.  That's why I'm so confused when I hear about it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:43:15 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #157 on: June 04, 2009, 12:52:41 PM

Isn't the director just the AI for the whole game?  As in, its always on?  It's what causes the weapons/granades/med kits to be in different places every time, as well as the random chance for a witch/Tank spawn.

At least thats what I thought.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 04, 2009, 03:07:39 PM

Yes, that is what I had always heard. I guess the new one is going to allow more randomized playthroughs.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #159 on: June 04, 2009, 05:51:14 PM

The director is the AI that controls everything. Determines when to rush you, with how much, what music to play, if a special infected should be involved..etc. Considers things like your ammo, health, position..etc. Hearing that they're doing some heavy modding to the director makes me giddy.

As for the TF2 look, it's just that it's during the day. All of L4D1 was dusk or night time, so no real colours came through. Plus, most of those effects they put in place emphasized shadows, darkness and grit. Daytime doesn't have any of those.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #160 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:23 AM

I just think its his bright shirt and the dudes super green hat.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #161 on: June 05, 2009, 02:56:44 PM

I just think its his bright shirt and the dudes super green hat.
Oh snap, girlfriend.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #162 on: June 05, 2009, 04:31:09 PM

Yes, forgot. When you're warned of a pending zombie apocalypse, please, change your clothes to reflect the atmosphere.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 06, 2009, 04:31:24 PM

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #164 on: June 06, 2009, 04:51:10 PM

I've played it and at no time did I even associate it with TF2.  You people are crazy.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 06, 2009, 10:56:19 PM

I've always wondered why the hell the survivors are moving at night anyway. Why the fuck would you go camping in the middle of zombie infested woods. Daytime will be just fine I'm sure.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 07, 2009, 02:35:36 AM

Looks to me like the screenshots just don't have the post processing effects yet.

That, and people need to stop bitching about valve using colours other than brown and grey.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:23 AM

Am I the only one on F13 still playing this?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #168 on: June 25, 2009, 11:22:49 AM

Occasionally I play it. Sometimes I just need a zombie fix and this is awesome and will stay awesome for a long time.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 25, 2009, 06:27:10 PM

I think I played for about 2 weeks after I first got it... Just gets too boring with so few maps. Even with pubbies, the variation isn't enough.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #170 on: June 25, 2009, 06:32:06 PM

I fire it up every now and then. I dunno...TF2 feels more casual, so I usually jump onto that.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: June 26, 2009, 07:40:57 AM

That, and people need to stop bitching about valve using colours other than brown and grey.

Right about the time you show me a good zombie movie with crayon colors.

Plus, most of those effects they put in place emphasized shadows, darkness and grit. Daytime doesn't have any of those.

Granted, my comments were based off the few screen shots shown at the time, so I am sure its not the case, fully.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:14:22 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #172 on: June 26, 2009, 10:49:17 AM

I play L4D all the time, did you not get the memo?  awesome, for real

Bloodworth, stfu about the colors in l4d2.  Like, seriously.

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: June 26, 2009, 11:54:51 AM

I play L4D all the time, did you not get the memo?  awesome, for real

Bloodworth, stfu about the colors in l4d2.  Like, seriously.

Best zombie movie I ever saw had only black and white, and we LIKED it that way!!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #174 on: June 27, 2009, 02:56:53 PM

Yes, so, because a movie hasn't had colours means Valve is not allowed any creative rights whatsoever.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: LEFT 4 DEAD  
Jump to: