Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 & the PTS (Deathsword) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 & the PTS (Deathsword)  (Read 54701 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: November 17, 2008, 02:22:55 PM

Linky
Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

When we launched our Public Test Server last week our goal was to create a place where we could test and iterate on ideas/initiatives/fixes with our subscribers in a non-LIVE environment. Our plan was that no patch would make it through the PTS until we were sure that it was tested thoroughly and properly. Patch 1.0.5 (Combat and Careers) is a perfect example of how this system is supposed to work. Thanks to the data and feedback we’ve gathered over the last week we are going to make some major changes to 1.0.5. First, the Combat and Careers portion of the patch is being moved to 1.0.6. We have made enough changes that we have decided to let them stay on PTS a while longer for additional testing. As I’ve said before, we will not rush these changes on to the LIVE servers until we are sure that they have been thoroughly tested and that the changes are working the way that the designers planned. It was evident throughout the testing process that some of the changes needed to be reconsidered and some changed outright. Thus and secondly, we are making the following changes to certain careers:

1)   For our Ironbreakers, this means more time to assess the impact at our proposed changes to the Grudge mechanic to IBs in RvR. When patch 1.0.6 goes up on Deathsword, we will have an updated version of the grudge mechanic. As of now, this will result in IBs having decay beginning at 15 seconds as well a much slower loss of grudge per second than originally planned. Over the course of 1.0.6 on the PTS, we will continue to look at this mechanic and see if we have to add some additional time to the beginning of grudge decay.

2)   For our healers, we are going to keep the decrease in cast time for the “big heals” but we are reverting the changes to the HOTs back to their current LIVE status. Given the changes and general increases to most careers’ DOTs, keeping healers’ HOTs where they are currently is the more prudent path. As we continue testing with 1.0.6, this may change but for now we want to spend some more time running the numbers before we make any additional changes to our healers.

3)   Sorcs/BWs will not have any buffs to their DOTs until we can gather more data on the long-term impact of these DOTs.

4)   We are looking at several interface changes geared to make target selection, spell-casting, etc. easier and more reliable especially in RvR.

Those are some of the biggest changes to the “Combat and Careers” portion of 1.0.5. Additionally, 1.0.5 will now focus on the “Heavy Metal” event that paves the way for the introduction of the Blackguard and the Knight of the Blazing Sun as well as a few other changes including fixes/improvements to our Realm War system. We expect to deploy 1.0.5 tomorrow to our LIVE servers. Once that is done, version 1.0.6 will be deployed to our PTS with all the current C&C changes. Additionally, 1.0.6 will also provide an opportunity for testers to get a sneak peek at those two new careers. So, please, keep signing on to our PTS and help us gather the data we need to ensure that the changes we are making are what we intend them to be, a series of necessary and balanced steps to improve balance among the careers. As always, I thank you for your patronage and support of WAR.

Mark

Quote from: syakila_
From the bottom of this healer's heart ...thank you

The changes would have robbed me of my versatility . Awesome !!!

I did ask people to wait till we put a version LIVE before thinking that the sky was going to fall on their heads.  :)

And that's also why I haven't been posting the last week, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't repeating myself by saying the same thing over and over again and that we had time to look at all the changes carefully. There would be no point of having a real PTS if all we were going to do was put up a version and never leave open the possibility of changing/iterating on it.

Mark

Maybe they figured out widespread nerfs (especially to healers) aren't the way to go at this stage.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:40:07 PM

Good moves here, and it seems Mythic/MJ are revising their policies on updates. Originally before and briefly after release, MJ stated patches and updates would happen at a much more furious pace than perhaps previously experienced. It's evident they've decided against this policy, which is probably a very good thing, considering how sensitive the issue of class balance is in respect to a players experience.

However, I did cancel my subscription before the first billing period, and these patches are not going to bring me back anytime soon. If and hopefully when the day comes I see a massive revision to the RvR to make it exciting, involved and present like a fully realized/developed concept, then I'll be there with bells on. Until then, I'm still watching this from the outside.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:34:49 PM

Pretty happy with this statement overall
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:41:16 PM

Those poor Mythic programmers in crunch mode 23/7. "Get patch 1.0.5 out and ready now! WORK! Now we're pulling most of it and you'll have to redo it! WORK!"

Also, let me guess: the Test server is one of the most popular servers, right?

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 04:55:45 PM

Yah, the test server is kicking.
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 05:12:27 PM

Nothing to see.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:33:29 PM by Grim »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:23:10 AM

Linky

Folks,

A few quick things then I'm off to dinner.

1) The changes to 1.0.5 are not a direct result of the Vault, WHA or any one source of feedback. As I've said from the beginning, we are taking feedback from a lot of different sources. Listening to the Vault as our exclusive source of "What do we do next?" would be as foolish as ignoring it totally.

2) As to our EU players, I know I've been rather quiet regarding Europe lately and I apologize for that but know that it isn't because we aren't paying attention or don't care what is going on there. When we signed the deal with GOA we were assured that our European customers would be treated in the same way as our North American customers. We are aware of the issues that have been raised here and in other places. And that's all I can say on that subject for now.

3) As to 1.0.5 and 1.0.6, I wish I could say that 1.0.5 had a lot of the good stuff from 1.0.6 but it is going to take a little longer to get the C&C stuff LIVE. It has become such a huge patch that separating even just the bug fixes from 1.0.6 and putting them back into a new 1.0.5 would mean that the "Heavy Metal" event would have to be delayed. And since the HM event is the key to getting the Blackguard and the Knight of the Blazing Sun in the game, we don't want to delay it. We'll get 1.0.6. LIVE as quickly as possible but again, since it's the C&C patch, it needs to be done right the first time.

4) As to things like itemization, oRvR, etc., those are big priorities as well and I plan on talking about what we are doing already and what we are planning on doing down the road soon. I had hoped to do it this week but it will probably happen next week due to me being at EA meetings this week in LA.

Mark

I wouldn't be surprised if the shoe is now on the other foot in Europe.  Previously GOA caused a couple of fuck ups and Mythic had to crack the whip.   Now with EU server populations as they are, I'd guess GOA are in a much stronger position, even after resubscribing everyone who cancelled.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:35:48 AM

Linky

WAAAGH!!!

Game Update 1.0.5 arrives Tuesday, 11/18 and with it comes a number of great an exciting changes.

Prepare for the coming of the Blackguard and Knight of The Blazing Sun! These two tank careers square off and provide players with even more means to crush and conquer their enemies and defend their homelands!

All North American Servers will be brought down at 6:30AM EST to begin the update. Oceanic Servers will follow at 9AM EST. We anticipate all servers to be back online by 1:00PM EST.

Below you will find the current notes for 1.0.5. A lot of things have changed so be sure to read Mark Jacob's update on 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 and the career changes we have coming up. Enjoy!

Highlights
With 1.0.5 comes The Heavy Metal event! Fight and adventure for your chance to play the Knight of The Blazing Sun and The Blackguard before anyone else!

Character collision in RvR has been improved. Players should no longer move sporadically when being blocked by another player.

Players who go AFK while in Public Quest areas or during keep sieges will no longer receive contribution credit toward those encounters.

General changes and bug fixes
There were some instances in which the reticule for ground-target-area-effect abilities was allowing these spells to be cast in areas which were not originally intended. This has been adjusted.

Several issues have been addressed that previously allowed players to get to locations they were not supposed to be able to reach.

Players will no longer appear mounted when they are not.

Realm vs. RealmFixed several issues that caused the User Interface to display improper Zone Control information. Objectives and Keep icons as well as the Zone Control bar will now properly display the status of contested zones in Tier 4.

Tier 4 Zones: Based on player feedback, we have reduced the number of Scenario Victory Points required for Zone Control. Also, Battlefield Objectives and Keeps are now worth more Victory Points, and capturing a T4 zone can be accomplished more quickly than before.

Does nobody proof read this stuff?  The banner says game update 1.0.4 instead of 1.0.5 and there's an image hosted on a passworded server.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:18:41 AM

Yah, the test server is kicking.

Heh, I have been pwned.

I though it would be popular because players could fool around with their characters to no consequence... but I suppose you need some fun in their somewhere to counterbalance meaningless gameplay.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:22 AM

That's just sad when you can't get more than literally a handful of people to test your game. I think that if Mythic wants to save face and their game at large, they need to extend the beta for a few months and have either a reduced price or waive the monthly sub altogether. They'd get a lot of more players in, hopefully iron out the bugs that should have been ironed out in a real beta, and make some friends again. It'll never happen. I just like to drift off into la-la land now and again.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:44:08 AM

Rewards for time /played on the test server might be an interesting idea.  Nothing much, maybe a trophy, but something creative.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:51:30 AM

That's just sad when you can't get more than literally a handful of people to test your game.

Isn't it though?  I figured the test server would have been insanely popular, what with the 800K subs and all...................
Thelg
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:43 AM

There were tons of people there for the first couple days. Then once people checked out the changes it all died out
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 08:39:02 AM

Heh, the sarcasm is dripping off this thread  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Problem with test, is the same problem with live, multiplied by a gazillion.

The game ain't fun unless lots of people are playing. Thus, lots of people don't play it. I log on, wait for more people to log on so I can test RvR, as nothing else is interesting, get bored and log off again. Needs a critical mass of people to start testing all at once, which for one reason or another, didn't happen. I suppose it didn't help that for a lot of people, the first thing available to test was 'rebalancing'.

@Thelg, I logged on the evening that test went up - there were 6 people listed in T4. Not enough to start a single scenario. I did see a lone destro running around, so I quickly hopped onto a destruction toon and sent him/her a tell to arrange a quick test, which we carried out, then went our seperate ways.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:42:35 AM

The game ain't fun unless lots of people are playing. Thus, lots of people don't play it. I log on, wait for more people to log on so I can test RvR, as nothing else is interesting, get bored and log off again. Needs a critical mass of people to start testing all at once, which for one reason or another, didn't happen. I suppose it didn't help that for a lot of people, the first thing available to test was 'rebalancing'.

Are you talking about your regular server?  Sounds like my regular server.
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:19 AM

You'd think that Mythic has been in MMO purgatory with how they do things.

The problems with the game are completely non-related to class balance. Sure, WE and BW and sorcs are overpowered, but it doesn't break the game. Not being able to attack fortresses or lock zones breaks the game.

Class balance patches make people QQ. QQ is the last thing they need right now. Giving people more of a reason to quit the game is not a smart idea imo.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 09:06:34 AM

I always thought class balance was part of the Mythic marketing strategy for customer retention.

Step 1: Make one or two classes overpowered. Well call them A and B

Step 2: Watch people flock to those classes like flies to shit.

Step 3: Allow them to enjoy king-of-the-hill status for a month or six

Step 4: Nerf Classes A & B and buff classes C & D

Step 5: Watch your playerbase spontaneously reroll into classes C & D

Step 6: Return to step 3 (nerfing C & D in step 4 to buff two new classes)

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 09:33:12 AM

i duno man, someone said Melee DPS gets fucked in this game, and they are right.
Yes yes they ignore armour and has bleed, flanking, stealth and all that shit.

but do they have BW mobility and instant aoe dots. Didn't think so.
i tried this with their mirror class , Sorcerer and could not feel the 'mobility dps' that my BW used to have.
I had to sit on my butt waiting for 2 sec cast time and shuffle ass before another arrow / witch hunter poke my ass.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 09:38:37 AM

I always thought class balance was part of the Mythic marketing strategy for customer retention.

Step 1: Make one or two classes overpowered. Well call them A and B

Step 2: Watch people flock to those classes like flies to shit.

Step 3: Allow them to enjoy king-of-the-hill status for a month or six

Step 4: Nerf Classes A & B and buff classes C & D

Step 5: Watch your playerbase spontaneously reroll into classes C & D

Step 6: Return to step 3 (nerfing C & D in step 4 to buff two new classes)

All they had to do was follow GW marketing strategy:

Step 1: Make A and B armies overpowered with certain builds and look bad ass

Step 2: Watch those models fly off the shelves then watch A and B armies own Games Days and Indy tourneys

Step 3: Come out with a new codex for army C and D and make them even worse then armies A and B and even more bad ass models

Step 4: Watch army C and D fly off the shelves and destroy at Games Days and Indy tourneys

Step 5: Keep rotating until you run out of armies then come out with a new Edition...
Thelg
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 10:00:02 AM

Heh, the sarcasm is dripping off this thread  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Problem with test, is the same problem with live, multiplied by a gazillion.

@Thelg, I logged on the evening that test went up - there were 6 people listed in T4. Not enough to start a single scenario. I did see a lone destro running around, so I quickly hopped onto a destruction toon and sent him/her a tell to arrange a quick test, which we carried out, then went our seperate ways.

Weird I was testing on that day for good 3-4hours, instant serpent passage queues, and yeah Engineer is still broken lol
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 10:40:59 AM

I must have missed the 3-4 hour window then. It has long since passed.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:36 PM

i duno man, someone said Melee DPS gets fucked in this game, and they are right.

Dunno. Never really had a problem dropping people and topping charts on the Marauder. Same goes for all the tanks i've played, 1 SM and 2 IB's, always s&b. Only thing that annoyed me was Fire Cage, and that got fixed. Nowadays only real annoyance is that SH snare, the ice spikes that i think the sorc uses, and the*very* rare barbed wire.

Could be because it was only up to T2.

Oh yeah, the new scenario came with an obvious bug.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Gurney
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 02:42:28 PM

Dunno. Never really had a problem dropping people and topping charts on the Marauder. Same goes for all the tanks i've played, 1 SM and 2 IB's, always s&b. Only thing that annoyed me was Fire Cage, and that got fixed. Nowadays only real annoyance is that SH snare, the ice spikes that i think the sorc uses, and the*very* rare barbed wire.

Could be because it was only up to T2.

Oh yeah, the new scenario came with an obvious bug.

Yes its because it was only T2.  T4 is a whole other ballgame for melee and T3 starts to get there in the later half.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 08:18:47 PM

http://warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=459

Greetings!

With 1.0.5 going live today Deathsword is being brought down in preparation for 1.0.6. From all of us thank you to those that contributed their time and energy to provide feedback and bug reports, your efforts have helped to make a better game!

We'll be inviting those that participated in testing 1.0.5 to a Limited Public Test of 1.0.6. Those invited will help us whip the Knight of The Blazing Sun and Blackguard into shape and provide us with critical feedback on the recent changes to all of the careers already in game.

Heh, they found a way to nerf the test server.   Of course if they hadn't limited it everyone would have been there to try out the new classes.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:13 AM

http://warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=459

Greetings!

With 1.0.5 going live today Deathsword is being brought down in preparation for 1.0.6. From all of us thank you to those that contributed their time and energy to provide feedback and bug reports, your efforts have helped to make a better game!

We'll be inviting those that participated in testing 1.0.5 to a Limited Public Test of 1.0.6. Those invited will help us whip the Knight of The Blazing Sun and Blackguard into shape and provide us with critical feedback on the recent changes to all of the careers already in game.

Heh, they found a way to nerf the test server.   Of course if they hadn't limited it everyone would have been there to try out the new classes.

Last thing they want is a packed server , even if a test server , showing just how much more fun it is with people actually playing in large numbers

Then the players go back to the underpopulated real servers and feel even worse

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 07:34:39 AM

Someday I want to visit this Ivory Tower that MJ and company are living in. Limited invitations to the TEST SERVER??!! I guess they don't want that old ZX-81 overheating and melting into a puddle of silicon and plastic.

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:09 AM

>Ivory Tower that MJ and company are living in
MJ is more like the Jenga Tower crowd.

"Me am play gods"
WitchKiller
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 10:10:12 AM

ZING!

I'm pretty sure that 1.0.5 is the end of the line for me.  I canceled a few weeks after the CE headstart, but I've been following the game pretty closely to see if it starts funning things up..  After seeing the patch notes, and predicted patch notes, I think I'm just gonna go ahead and break up with MJ.  It's sad, but I feel that it's the best course of action for both of us.

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good
of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live
under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies."  C.S. Lewis
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:11 AM

ZING!

I'm pretty sure that 1.0.5 is the end of the line for me.  I canceled a few weeks after the CE headstart, but I've been following the game pretty closely to see if it starts funning things up..  After seeing the patch notes, and predicted patch notes, I think I'm just gonna go ahead and break up with MJ.  It's sad, but I feel that it's the best course of action for both of us.

Nothing to see.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:30:50 PM by Grim »
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 01:50:18 PM

Jenga is more fun.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 02:49:33 PM

ZING!

Weird reaction. I think they headed in the right direction with 1.05 actually. They saved class balance changes for later, they didn't nerf healers, and they didn't buff BWs. They fixed many things including major adjustments to zone control so that it can be done easier. How is this patch a bad thing?

Also, my server had a 200 person open rvr battle last night with no lag. It was awesome btw, great fun, like it was in beta. They made improvements also with frame rates etc. Undocumented I guess. Maybe fort assaults are fixed? I'll let you know.

So this patch was actually good imo. At least the game is headed in the right direction.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 03:05:52 PM

Well, it's 6:11 EST and I logged in to see if there was anything bright, shiny and new on REM. All the servers were pretty much at Low/Low. So whatever population surges they hoped to make don't seem to be happening. Maybe it's still too early in the evening but it sho nuff don' look good.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 03:33:52 PM

Well, it's 6:11 EST and I logged in to see if there was anything bright, shiny and new on REM. All the servers were pretty much at Low/Low. So whatever population surges they hoped to make don't seem to be happening. Maybe it's still too early in the evening but it sho nuff don' look good.

Servers were down all day until 6:00 for some kind of emergency maintenance, if I recall.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 04:20:53 PM

Weird reaction. I think they headed in the right direction with 1.05 actually. They saved class balance changes for later, they didn't nerf healers, and they didn't buff BWs. They fixed many things including major adjustments to zone control so that it can be done easier. How is this patch a bad thing?
Because class balance isn't their biggest problem right now.  Other than huge, glaring balance changes (which they bizarrely seemed to get backwards anyways), they don't need to be looking at it at all for the moment.  They need to focus on the bits causing customers to not log in.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:35 PM

Nothing to see.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:30:59 PM by Grim »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 & the PTS (Deathsword)  
Jump to: