Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WoW's issues were a lot worse at launch............ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW's issues were a lot worse at launch............  (Read 9001 times)
khaine
Terracotta Army

on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:38 PM

Really ? People actually believe that ? I'm see variations of the following post on VN to WHA to other mmorpg forums

"WoW was broken a LOT more places for a YEAR or two. I'm guessing you didn't play from launch? Because the issues were much bigger than WARs."

I am genuinely curious does the WoW hate extend so far that some people actually have convinced themselves of this , or is this one of those statements that allows fellow fanbois and WoW haters to group up together in a thread and cheer each other on while their own game dies around them ?

The worst issue I remember from WoW's launch was loot lag , because so many damn people were playing the game

I would kill for that to be WAR's problem , as it is they still cannot get the damn chat settings to permanently save even

The sheer number of bugs in WAR right not far outweigh anything I have seen in WoW or EQ2 or LotRO

Just still amazed at the blind faith and spin people do for games , I wanted to like the game and play it for a good while , but have seen it's just not fun overall , and yet others a large % of the ones hanging on are trying to say WAR's launch was better than WoW's

Amazing

Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:02:24 PM

Really ? People actually believe that ? I'm see variations of the following post on VN to WHA to other mmorpg forums

"WoW was broken a LOT more places for a YEAR or two. I'm guessing you didn't play from launch? Because the issues were much bigger than WARs."

I am genuinely curious does the WoW hate extend so far that some people actually have convinced themselves of this , or is this one of those statements that allows fellow fanbois and WoW haters to group up together in a thread and cheer each other on while their own game dies around them ?

The worst issue I remember from WoW's launch was loot lag , because so many damn people were playing the game

I would kill for that to be WAR's problem , as it is they still cannot get the damn chat settings to permanently save even

The sheer number of bugs in WAR right not far outweigh anything I have seen in WoW or EQ2 or LotRO

Just still amazed at the blind faith and spin people do for games , I wanted to like the game and play it for a good while , but have seen it's just not fun overall , and yet others a large % of the ones hanging on are trying to say WAR's launch was better than WoW's

Amazing

Well, let me tell you a story about this guy I used to know that fits your description to a T. His name was Ed. Ed has two boys who are now 18 and 17 respectively. Ed played DAOC, and still does and plays WAR. Ed would force his children to stay up till 0200 and 0300 in the morning farming ML10 with guildmates and almost caused the younger of the boys to fail the 8th grade because of it. Ed hated WoW with the passion of a thousand burning suns. By hate, I mean he refused to even let his kids talk about WoW, mention WoW, try out WoW for free anything. One of them quit playing DAOC and Ed took away their computer. Ed has issues. Ed has been to every round table in Vegas, despite almost having his power shut off at his home, and every round table that is at least within 3 hours drive from his house. Ed talks about DAOC every day, all day, and all nite and now does such with WAR.

Most of the folks that are Mythic fanbois, are like Ed. They have such blind loyalty/faith/zealot/cult like following to games like DAOC and WAR that it's actually kinda scary. I mean if I was Mark Jacobs and I went driving around NOVA/DC, near where guys like Ed lived, I would be afraid that one of them would recognize me and shoot me like Lennon or harass me to no end talking about DAOC and WAR. But for a company that pisses in these fan's faces at every turn and constantly bashes on anything other then Mythic prodcuts that it consumes their life you would think that Mythic would at least put out something people can lay stake to and say, this is incredible, I am glad I play this. Ed used to call me at work and try and get into arguments about WoW subscription numbers and how they were inflated and the company lies and how he can't trust a company that lies, etc...

There are some freggin weird people out there... I am sure there are some weirdos on WoW but I certainly don't see them engaging in such discontent and hate speech on the internet towards products like WAR. The typical WAR player bashes the hell out of WoW folks, whereas the WoW players couldnt be bothered. They say, WAR's crap, whatever, and move on. Whereas the WAR player will go out of their way to try to dig up every little unknown news article and misquote ever made about WoW just to discredit it.

I remember seeing a book about brand loyalty and how it effects a lot of consumers these days. Even I am guilty of it. I have a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and I always give a verbal 'heh' whenever I see a Dodge Neon SRT-4 or a Subaru. I don't mean to do it. They are nice cars, but because I own the Evo I subconsciously look down on the other cars and their drivers. I don't do it intentionally, just kinda happens. Maybe thats the same for WAR players? They just look down on the WoW players because they firmly believe its a shittier product. I dunno.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:28:13 PM by Bismallah »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:14:10 PM

I have no idea.  There were a few problems with WoW, but they were apples and oranges to WAR.  Things like queues, loot lag, fighting for rare spawns, I do remember a few server crashes, that kind of thing.  It was bad enough that they were crediting players with sub time, as I recall.

WAR doesn't have those problems.  WAR's problem is that nothing fucking works.  Animations are glitchy, spell effects get stuck, mail is laggy and awkward, the map and tome have display issues, and the framerate is godawful with big groups.  Capes and helmets don't display properly, character mechanics (like Grudge or Balance or Dark Magic) display incorrectly on zoning, contribution points are glitched, nobody seems to understand how the zone control mechanic works, pets are still fucked, numerous character abilities are not working or have incorrect tooltips, and the game randomly crashes to desktop.  The chat lacks features and your chat settings don't get saved when you exit, lag makes it impossible for melee classes to hit running characters, there are random warping/tearing issues with the models, sometimes allied NPCs are non-interactable, snares don't work on fleeing mobs, loot sometimes glitches, key quest mobs sometimes don't spawn, and collision detection is inconsistent and buggy.  I mean, fuck.  The engine is just a heap of shit, and I have no idea how they can fix that, because it's not like it's a trivial task for the live team to rewrite the whole engine.

But, really, they're not the same issues.  I can see someone who values certain things differently might say WoW was worse, though I can't say I'd agree with them.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:14:33 PM

What the hell is this? 
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:52:56 PM

Ed has been to every round table in Vegas, despite almost having his power shut off at his home, and every round table that is at least within 3 hours drive from his house.

What's a round table?
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 07:00:21 PM

They were conventions in Vegas for a few years, then they started having these meetings/cons around the country after that. I guess my main point after a few beers is there are some die hard fans of DAOC/Mythic that absolutely HATE anything related to WoW and anyone that plays WoW and will go to great lengths to pick at anything that ever went wrong in WoW to draw attention away from DAOC/WAR and any issues those games might have had in the past.

Sorry for the long post earlier.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:21:02 PM

No worries there , it was an intriguing read

I'd like to think it was made up , but from what I've seen from the vitriolic hate for WoW to fandom bordering on religious devotion that I saw in the Vanguard beta forums ,

I sadly can see someone being like you describe
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:25:52 PM

It's not game-specific.  I've run into many of the same kind of players.  Though it is interesting.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 05:50:50 AM

For the reference on brand loyalty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_loyalty

Good references at the bottom, but I didn't see the book I was thinking of, they are just journals/business review papers. I'll keep digging.

Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:57:45 AM

my problem with WoW at launch was that the only thing to do once you reached level 60 was to farm scholomance and stratholme

That was kind of it, and it was kind of dull.

Then a couple of months later when people started getting to Black Rock Spire and doing that, the game was fun for 2 days again, until you had done all of blackrock and the game sunk into horrible PvE repetition again.

With that said, I loved going from 1-60. Everything else was just awful though

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:02:35 AM by Zzulo »
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 06:05:12 AM

This thread is stupid.
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 06:28:40 AM

swamp poop
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:31:21 AM

Well, let me tell you a story about this guy I used to know that fits your description to a T. His name was Ed. Ed has two boys who are now 18 and 17 respectively. Ed played DAOC, and still does and plays WAR. Ed would force his children to stay up till 0200 and 0300 in the morning farming ML10 with guildmates and almost caused the younger of the boys to fail the 8th grade because of it. Ed hated WoW with the passion of a thousand burning suns. By hate, I mean he refused to even let his kids talk about WoW, mention WoW, try out WoW for free anything. One of them quit playing DAOC and Ed took away their computer. Ed has issues. Ed has been to every round table in Vegas, despite almost having his power shut off at his home, and every round table that is at least within 3 hours drive from his house. Ed talks about DAOC every day, all day, and all nite and now does such with WAR.

wat

By 'fits your description to a T' you mean 'is psycho'.  I mean, christ, I had a friend (with the soul of a pure catass) who played DAOC who put a year of his life into it (literally, 365 days played), but he still trashes Mythic all of the time and is off playing the highly superior Wow.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:39:20 AM

Pretty much yeah... I dunno, I kinda de-railed the whole f'ng thread with that, I apologize.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:18:26 AM

With that said, I loved going from 1-60. Everything else was just awful though

Yes. 1-60 in WOW was probably my most fun in an MMO. Raids suck though and they led to me quiting.

And WOW did have major issues at launch. I remember barely being able to play for my first month and the loot lag almost drove me insane until they finally fixed it. Most of WOW's issues were hardware rather than software though I do suspect they had some backend database issues too.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 10:13:02 AM

Who actually says that except a few rabid fanboys over at VN boards?  Even most of them have buggered off.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 10:53:09 AM

Most fun I had in WoW was leveling 1-60
followed by drunken MC raids in the DPS groups
followed by a few choice parts of my grind to rank 10.

hahaha there's no point to this post, is there?

Redemption edit: Mythic's early problems are in a whole other realm than Warcraft, and a lot of them are related to the low population. Blizzard planned to have server populations range from high to medium to low, yet Mythic didn't seem to plan for or even anticipate the problems that occur when populations start to reach the low end of the spectrum. The entire thing just falls flat on its face. You mix that in with things like PQs, scenarios, keeps, and other shit all pulling players in a hundred different directions because the whole backbone of player incentives is so fucked that everyone disperses to the 4 winds. Whew
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:02:35 AM by ashrik »
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 01:57:20 PM

You won't get anywhere arguing with idiots.  And only an idiot would do so.  The past four years the mmo industry have spent millions and millions of dollars to recreate WoW's at launch problems.  Any developer today would kill to have the problems WoW faced at launch.

I quit WoW during my first month, but it wasn't over it's supposed problems, I just felt it was more of the same.
Thelg
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 06:09:53 AM

Any mmo released right now with the server stability issues that WoW had on release it would be dead in weeks. On many of the server people could not play for a very long time. Not to mention when you could play you could not loot, and when you could loot and get something "nice" you ended up being rolled back time to time. Also the fun patching days that degenerated into not being able to play for 2 days, that lasted for a few month at least.

I loved leveling 1-60 but mainly because of playing on a pvp server, fighting over leveling grounds, ganking, camping BRM, all good memories.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:04 AM

Any mmo released right now with the server stability issues that WoW had on release it would be dead in weeks.

People will crawl over broken glass to play your game if it's actually fun.
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 08:53:22 AM

Well, there were a lot of problems with WOW at launch, mostly because it did much better than expected. It depended on your server of course:
- 3 hour queue times to login
- Rampant server crashes for sometimes as long as 2 days. At one point they had to give some servers 5 free days of game play and all servers 2 days of free game play. People were QQing left and right.
- Each patch day (Tues) was a joke because the game was unplayable, either because your server wasn't up or kept crashing or because all of your addons got trashed

More precisely, WOW was incomplete. No battlegrounds, no honor system. Onyxia and MC didn't get added until 4 months after launch.

Having said that, the premise of WOW was not broken like it is with WAR. The premise of WOW was its PVE content, and it delivered. WAR is NOT delivering with it's RVR content right now. I'm hoping patch 1.05 will start to fix things fast, because I have maybe another month in me.

I think a lot of people hate on WOW because they are tired of the grind of WOW, the crappy meaningless PVP/RVR, and just questing/instancing/raiding in general.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:47 PM

Wow's issues at launch has nothing WHAT SO EVER to do with anything going on in warhammer right now. Nothing at all. What a stupid fucking topic.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 03:00:08 PM

Any mmo released right now with the server stability issues that WoW had on release it would be dead in weeks.
People will crawl over broken glass to play your game if it's actually fun.
Agreed. I am far from a Mythic fanboy, but for the first-tier of WAR I was quite content to deal with constant crashes, graphical glitching, and bizzare FPS errors because I was genuinely enjoying the crowded public quests, relatively painless PvE, low-end RvR and goofy early scenarios. Virtually as soon as I reached tier two the fun started to drain away, and suddenly difficulty playing the game was absolutely unbearable. By the time I had decided to try an alt, the population had moved past tier one (and were starting to leave the game entirely)... so there was no fun to be had at all.

There are a number of stable and technically flawless asian RPGs available for free. They are not fun. I do not play them.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 05:15:47 PM

Wow's issues at launch has nothing WHAT SO EVER to do with anything going on in warhammer right now. Nothing at all. What a stupid fucking topic.

Maybe read the actual post next time

But you're probably too busy breaking your CD's and posting pictures of them to show just how much of a hardcore badass you are

Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01:57 PM

Agreed. I am far from a Mythic fanboy, but for the first-tier of WAR I was quite content to deal with constant crashes, graphical glitching, and bizzare FPS errors because I was genuinely enjoying the crowded public quests, relatively painless PvE, low-end RvR and goofy early scenarios. Virtually as soon as I reached tier two the fun started to drain away, and suddenly difficulty playing the game was absolutely unbearable. By the time I had decided to try an alt, the population had moved past tier one (and were starting to leave the game entirely)... so there was no fun to be had at all.

There are a number of stable and technically flawless asian RPGs available for free. They are not fun. I do not play them.

Tier 1 was great, quick leveling, fast matches, lots of PvP.  Each tier just got slower and slower, not Tier 4 is slow leveling and non-existent PvP.  I miss PvP.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 03:53:28 AM

I love the comparisons to WoW-launch.

The reality is that WoW-launch is irrelevant - every fanboi says this but the reality is that WAR etc have to compete with an established game with an established user base. It's 2008 kiddies.

WAR was supposed to be the PvP alternative to WoW - it failed badly while learning very little from WoW or even DaoC (WTF?).

Want to grind PvE - wow is the current FoTM and yeah it's repetitive and carrrot on stick - but it's also polished NOW. WAR is so full of bugs - little bugs and big bugs that it isn't polished. WAR failed to deliver by trying to cater to the WOW fanboys that would have left for WotLK anyway - that = epic fail.

I honestly like the feel of WAR, hate the PvE (mediocre doesn't do justice to how crap it is) but sheesh - listening to the PvP testers wouldn't have hurt would it?

Right now I hate Mythic - for making me take a look at WotLK until a decent PvP mmo comes along, they fix RvR (I can hope) - or GW2 releases.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WoW's issues were a lot worse at launch............  
Jump to: