Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1114165 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5110 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:55 AM

- Viin
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5111 on: July 17, 2017, 11:49:55 AM

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #5112 on: July 17, 2017, 12:28:42 PM

Really enjoyed the episode, despite some parts veering heavily into yawn territory. That opening. Arya remains my favourite character; how can you hate such a cute sociopath gleefully ridding the show of such shit?

The Jon/Sansa stuff; god damn. Jon Snow actually had two moments of utter intelligence for once. I like the character, but.. 'smart' isn't generally something you can accuse him of being, yet here he made two smart calls. Surprised by the number of people online (such as in the points rewarded break-down article) shitting on Jon for his calls.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5113 on: July 17, 2017, 01:46:29 PM

Best first episode I can remember.

Proper level of urgency and wasn't just "hey remember this guy? He's still alive too".

Felt low scoring for anyone who didn't grab Arya though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5114 on: July 17, 2017, 02:06:51 PM

I like the character, but.. 'smart' isn't generally something you can accuse him of being, yet here he made two smart calls. Surprised by the number of people online (such as in the points rewarded break-down article) shitting on Jon for his calls.

I'm not. There's a lot of authoritarian tendencies in people, and Sana's route plays into those. Punish the betrayers, they are a unit not individuals. Granted, hers comes from a concern about seeing her lose the last bits of her family and being super paranoid. (The subtext of all she's learned from Cersi)

I was on board with her at first, until Jon made his argument about punishing sons for father's sins. Some people lack introspection or the ability to walk-back a first instinct.

The Hound's redemption arc is getting epic. It's going to suck when he dies, because he's almost to the point he has to.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5115 on: July 17, 2017, 02:27:38 PM

The Hound's redemption arc is getting epic. It's going to suck when he dies, because he's almost to the point he has to.

Very likely, but I expect it to be an expect death surrounded by hordes of zombies clinging to his body as he wields like a burning goddamn mace or some equally epic shit, or like swinging a dragon by its tail.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5116 on: July 17, 2017, 03:07:09 PM

Jon welcoming Alys Karstark back into the fold is a really interesting echo of Robb executing Rickard Karstark.  In both cases, not a popular decision (and made over the objections of a family member). 

I suspect Littlefinger is going to try to use it to sow dissension in the Northern ranks or something similarly ratfucky, and I hope what ends up happening instead is Alys saving Jon's life.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5117 on: July 17, 2017, 03:10:25 PM

Jon Snow is going to die and get turned.

(or he'll get lightbringer off Beric's corpse, kill reanimated Beric and the night king)

there is no middle ground
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5118 on: July 17, 2017, 06:14:16 PM

Points detail at The Verge.

Viin already got there. Teach me for not checking to see if I am on the last page.

--Dave
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:22:36 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5119 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:58 PM

Jon and Dany are the whole point of the series. It'll be a very brave choice to alter that.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #5120 on: July 17, 2017, 08:12:21 PM

“I’ll tell you what doesn’t scare me: Bald cocksuckers like you. You think you’re fooling anyone with that ‘top knot?’ Bald cunt.”

Dear God I've missed The Hound.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5121 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:50 AM

An episode where Jon Snow scores 10 points for wit, but Littlefinger scores zero on anything.  We're through the looking glass people!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5122 on: July 18, 2017, 02:03:36 AM

“I’ll tell you what doesn’t scare me: Bald cocksuckers like you. You think you’re fooling anyone with that ‘top knot?’ Bald cunt.”

Dear God I've missed The Hound.

Yuuup.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5123 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:17 AM

Jon welcoming Alys Karstark back into the fold is a really interesting echo of Robb executing Rickard Karstark.  In both cases, not a popular decision (and made over the objections of a family member).  

I suspect Littlefinger is going to try to use it to sow dissension in the Northern ranks or something similarly ratfucky, and I hope what ends up happening instead is Alys saving Jon's life.

Less interesting than you might think.

Book Alys explictly remained loyal to the Starks and ran off to the wall. A Karstark cousin who had effectively taken over the house wanted to marry her to legitimise his claim on the Karhold iirc.

Jon accepting her is just a reset to book status.

That said, TV Jon bothering to do this implies she has plot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:21:04 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #5124 on: July 18, 2017, 05:59:06 AM

Jon welcoming Alys Karstark back into the fold is a really interesting echo of Robb executing Rickard Karstark.  In both cases, not a popular decision (and made over the objections of a family member). 

Less interesting than you might think.

Book Alys explictly remained loyal to the Starks and ran off to the wall. A Karstark cousin who had effectively taken over the housewanted to marry her to legitimise his claim on the Karhold iirc.

Jon accepting her is just a reset to book status.

That said, TV Jon bothering to do this implies she has plot.

The actors for Alys Karstark and whatisname Umber have a combined age of about 20.  So I sat there thinking "What is Littlefinger going to do to them?"...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5125 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:25 AM

Maybe, but who would you back in a Littlefinger vs Lady Mormont smackdown?

I actually found the growing number of child lords less annoying than I thought I would. It feels like a fairly natural impact of the wars and has been handled well by various directors.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5126 on: July 18, 2017, 08:00:46 AM

Maybe, but who would you back in a Littlefinger vs Lady Mormont smackdown?

I actually found the growing number of child lords less annoying than I thought I would. It feels like a fairly natural impact of the wars and has been handled well by various directors.

That and it helps that the actress playing lady mormont is doing a good job of giving a fierce gives no fucks spin on job. It is pretty accurate historically though too after major wars you wound up with some really young people "in charge" sometimes it was more defacto figure head sometimes they took the job and ran with it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5127 on: July 18, 2017, 08:03:22 AM

It's another place where the War of the Roses/100 Years War template is valuable, because there were points where that happened in those too--dynastic wars where members of the noble/royal line are actually getting killed rather than just captured and ransomed generally always drive dynastic houses towards one of four states: lots of children with regents; really obscure third-cousin-once-removed heirs; usurpations by lesser lineages; destruction of the fiefdom through absorption into a larger principality in part due to the lack of surviving heirs.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #5128 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:50 PM

The stuff at Winterfell was the best, all in all good ep. I almost ran straight to CK2 afterward. If anything it felt rushed compared to past seasons, I mean in a good way I guess but it felt very "dive right in, we have lots of people to kill and not a lot of time to do it". 

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5129 on: July 23, 2017, 07:15:22 PM

That was a pretty shitty episode.

Honestly, I was already annoyed with Euron magically building a huge deathfleet from stones and nothing, but

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5130 on: July 23, 2017, 07:32:36 PM

I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5131 on: July 23, 2017, 07:41:13 PM

The time compression between things that happen in the series without any indication that time has passed is definitely one of my big annoyances. I just have to assume that any time there is some kind of inexplicable change in the resources available to someone that it is because months or years have passed.

And one thing we will learn in the fantasy league points tally is something I am sure we were all dying to know:

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5132 on: July 23, 2017, 08:00:31 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  ACK!

Was expecting that ending later in the season. Whelp, ok then!

schild
Administrator

Reply #5133 on: July 23, 2017, 08:08:16 PM

I didn't really like the whole episode, but man that was just

"go get the iron throne"

*immediately fails and dies and 3 main characters are just you know gone now*

edit: I'm aware they didn't show an actual death but like, comeon.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5134 on: July 23, 2017, 08:09:48 PM

They did show one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5135 on: July 23, 2017, 08:13:16 PM

Theon isn't a character. He's a cockless worm.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5136 on: July 23, 2017, 08:27:10 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5137 on: July 23, 2017, 10:02:38 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5138 on: July 23, 2017, 10:03:28 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #5139 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:01 PM

Yea that's my feeling, 2 of the sand snakes weren't even draftable.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5140 on: July 23, 2017, 10:56:25 PM

Yea that's my feeling, 2 of the sand snakes weren't even draftable.

They all were.

Nymeria, Obara, Tyene, and Ellaria Sand were all draftable.

schild
Administrator

Reply #5141 on: July 23, 2017, 11:05:28 PM

til I don't know the names of half of the characters on this show
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5142 on: July 24, 2017, 04:32:34 AM

Jon is starting to irritate me as he seems like a really bad leader; whether it's fighting or talking he seems to do whatever he feels like and has no thought to the ramifications beyond what he thinks is "right" (you'd think dying once due to it would be enough).
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #5143 on: July 24, 2017, 04:37:52 AM

Rough episode. Missandre though........Mmmmmmm

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5144 on: July 24, 2017, 04:53:36 AM

So about the ending:

ed: Shit used quote not spoiler.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:26:17 AM by Merusk »

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: