Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:16:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Suggested Addons 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suggested Addons  (Read 57914 times)
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 04, 2008, 06:20:16 AM

Wow, whoever posted Quest Helper is my new hero. Blows lightheaded out of the water.
Sad to say, I run both. LH is most helpful showing you the WoWHead commentary "I solo'd this with my T6 gear!" "Ya you ponce, no doubt. We needed a 3 man team." Since I normally duo on my Rogue along with my partner playing his 'lock, it helps us decide how/if to do the group quests.
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 04, 2008, 12:33:18 PM

After initially using Quest Helper, then switching to Carbonite, I was shocked at how much of a resource/memory hog Quest Helper is compared to how light and compact carbonite is to run.  Carbonite has it's own custom world map that replaces the default one and scales down into a 2nd mini-map that's fully zoomable.  The only thing it lacks in comparison to Quest Helper is an algorithim that tries to calculate the most efficient route between all your available quests.

I wish carbonite was simply integrated into the default world map and mini-map becuase gather-mate doesn't work with it's custom maps, then it would be perfect.  I don't mind not having a route making algorithim since I can make my own efficient routes easily enough with all the quest locations clearly marked, so having a quest mod that consumes a ton more resources/memory for that feature alone isn't worth it to me.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #107 on: December 04, 2008, 12:59:29 PM

I wish carbonite was simply integrated into the default world map and mini-map becuase gather-mate doesn't work with it's custom maps, then it would be perfect. 

There's apparently Gatherer integration in the paid version. Heh. Anyone got any sort of gathering mod working with Carbonite?

-Rasix
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #108 on: December 05, 2008, 05:55:25 AM

Wow, whoever posted Quest Helper is my new hero. Blows lightheaded out of the water.

Sorry.

Worth quoting.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #109 on: December 08, 2008, 06:56:13 PM

I've been using the triple threat TourGuide, TomTom and LightHeaded. They work pretty well, but aren't exactly compatible with quest helper - use one or the other. I haven't been COMPLETELY thrilled tourguide; it's OK but seems to miss a few decent quests here and there. Also, you can't start it in the middle of a zone, you need to come into a zone fresh, and it's got almost no wrath data at the moment.

Other cool addons:
Free Refils - auto-buy and restock items you define like drink and arrows
Garbage Fu - One-click to auto-sell grey vendor trash. THIS IS AWESOME. GET IT!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:57:55 PM by bhodi »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 08, 2008, 07:53:32 PM

I like both Quest Helper and Carbonite, but prefer the latter. The only thing that bothers me is that I REALLY want to be to click an area on the big or small map, and if it's linked to a quest, to open the quest window. I hate the default quest log. It is inadequate to the task. And forget the default quest tracker. What I want is to have Carbonite link to MonkeyQuest. Because I said so. And because maybe I could figure out with a year of work ;-)
Rasix

Reply #111 on: December 08, 2008, 10:24:09 PM

I've been using Quest Helper.  The stuff I'd want from Carbonite, I'd have to pay for and I like how QH uses the in game map.  QH works with Mapster/GatherMate also.  Mapster has a few bugs that are a tad annoying (Dalaran floor selector isn't placed properly).  I haven't noticed a whole lot of issues with QH being as much of a hog as before.  Still a tad bloated, but I don't have a lot of bells and whistles turned on.

I'm really liking not being lost all of the damn time.

-Rasix
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #112 on: December 08, 2008, 10:37:47 PM

Auctioneer.  I could wish there was a better tool for this, but this is what there is.

Try this one, it's Auctioneer with the fat trimmed away:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/auctionlite.aspx
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 09, 2008, 05:39:12 AM

I'm really liking not being lost all of the damn time.

I've said it before, but I'm going to emphasize this again.  I especially like it for my altitis.  Normally I have to spend 15 minutes just figuring out where I was in quest lines and where I needed to be.  Now, I can hop onto any of my characters and start having fun/progressing immediately. 

I won't go without one of these add-ons again.  In fact, for any new MMO that comes out, I'll be expecting that much more for organization and directional guidance.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 10, 2008, 08:20:30 AM

I'd have to pay for and I like how QH uses the in game map.
I can't really figure out why I should pay for Carbonite premium. What does QH have that Carbonite relegates to for-pay status? Right now it works for me in that I only need the two-sized maps, the area highlights and the arrow. Last night I took a quest in Silverbrook that wasn't in the database but otherwise it's recognized everything.

Just wondering what I'm missing in QH.
Rasix

Reply #115 on: December 10, 2008, 08:32:15 AM

I'd have to pay for and I like how QH uses the in game map.
I can't really figure out why I should pay for Carbonite premium. What does QH have that Carbonite relegates to for-pay status? Right now it works for me in that I only need the two-sized maps, the area highlights and the arrow. Last night I took a quest in Silverbrook that wasn't in the database but otherwise it's recognized everything.

Just wondering what I'm missing in QH.

Do you use any sort of gathering addon?  Most of the pay stuff doesn't look like something I'd use.

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:14 AM

Back in the day I used Gatherer, Enchantrix and Auctioneer. Nowadays I'm really just a questor. I'll probably need  Auctioneer again at some point, since at 74 I don't envision a time when I'll have the 5k for the epic flyer smiley

Otherwise, yea, the only for-pay feature I'd even use would be the enhanced quest log. But it doesn't piss me off enough that I have to use the default log to look up a quest I see as an icon on my map.

Which is funny because people are bitching about design philosophies driving microtransacations in general MMO. This is a perfect case in point. And there's nothing wrong with that imho.
ironic
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 10, 2008, 01:32:15 PM

Put that tape rule down and Align your custom frames perfectly.

Simple Raid Target Icons is a god send for those that like to mark things.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:36:41 PM by ironic »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: December 10, 2008, 08:03:13 PM

Bartender auto-snaps smiley
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:21 AM

Question.  any of you guys using comix-the return?  i downloaded this upon a friend's recomendation.  Gives the game a certain silly funness to it.  (well except for the damn boing sound effect, but i just turned that off).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #120 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:19 AM

Back in the day I used Gatherer, Enchantrix and Auctioneer. Nowadays I'm really just a questor. I'll probably need  Auctioneer again at some point, since at 74 I don't envision a time when I'll have the 5k for the epic flyer smiley

At 74 you should have made ~2k gold already. I know I had by that time on my Death Knight, and I was amazed.  I'm sitting at 4k gold from quest rewards (according to the achievement tracker) at 80, and I have 2.5k on my person.  I don't gather mats on the DK and I know I'd have more gold if I did dailys and didn't keep buying gems and enchants as I upgrade my gear.  Buying Epic Flying, CWF, the DK death-chicken and every spell/ ability post-75 costing me 36g to train didn't help me financially, either.

As a Mage who isn't looking to raid in the endgame you shouldn't have *too* much problem hitting 5k by 80.  Be judicious in your gear upgrades, only doing it from quests or instance drops.  Don't replace things at every point.  There's a lot of Boots and Gloves and bracers, so upgrade then don't do it again for the next few levels even if one rewards IS an upgrade at that point.  Instead pick the plate or shield reward and sell it off for the cash.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:38 AM

Auctioneer.  I could wish there was a better tool for this, but this is what there is.

Try this one, it's Auctioneer with the fat trimmed away:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/auctionlite.aspx

Hotshit! I just want to get price information about stuff I'm selling. Auctioneer Advanced is just too cumbersome lately.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: December 12, 2008, 10:20:48 AM

Depends on where you are now and where you'll think you'll hit 80.  My understanding is that there is a fuck load of gold to be made from the last few Northrend zones alone if you quest at 80. More than enough for an epic flyer. I'm in a similar boat - at 73 and have gone back to do some Netherstorm/SMV quests for extra XP so that I will ding 80 sometime shortly after Dragonblight I reckon (working on the fact that I'm 73 and only half way through Howling Fjord with a couple of hours in Borean Tundra to my credit too). Failing that, sell Chilled Meat for cooking dailies or any stuff you do actually gather.

Back on topic, I use Gatherer which is a pretty good addon with the plus side that it's regularly updated and you can import a pre-populated db of resource nodes taken from WoWHead.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #123 on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:53 AM

I want to say the statistics thingy showed me having made about 6k gold going 70-80? That might include some time before the expansion hit and some quests after I hit 80. That also includes selling quest loot as I'm not a disenchanter on my main, but I also basically had no rest xp that entire time. If you're rested, you'll end up making more in the long run, because you'll get the bonus gold for doing quests after you hit 80.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #124 on: December 12, 2008, 12:15:57 PM

I want to say the statistics thingy showed me having made about 6k gold going 70-80? That might include some time before the expansion hit and some quests after I hit 80. That also includes selling quest loot as I'm not a disenchanter on my main, but I also basically had no rest xp that entire time. If you're rested, you'll end up making more in the long run, because you'll get the bonus gold for doing quests after you hit 80.

Provided you go back and do quests at 80 rather then quit because you're bored :0D
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: December 15, 2008, 07:35:35 AM

Provided you go back and do quests at 80 rather then quit because you're bored :0D

Broken record here, but this is important for me.  This is the first time where I've gotten a character to max level where I am enjoying post-80 at least as much or MORE than getting there.  I'm a major altaholic so this is saying a lot for me.  I'm looking forward to taking each of my characters through ALL of the quests.  The use of phasing has single handedly done this for me.  That, and all the cash baby!  I'm rolling in it now, which makes enjoying the game that much easier.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: December 15, 2008, 08:07:11 AM

I am a big fan of Carbonite + Sexymap.  I can set my minimpap via Sexymap to be a HUD that lightly overlays my screen with resource nodes, !s, and ?s and still have a visual minimap via Carbonite.  I found I missed a lot of ore/herbs because I wasn't looking at the actual minimap that often.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #127 on: December 15, 2008, 01:17:03 PM

Dude, the minimap is like my rear-view mirror. I check that thing every 5 seconds!

Minor complaint about Mapster. It just reveals the whole map? I prefer something that shades the areas that I haven't explored yet so I know where I still need to look around, get discovery xp, that kinda thing. Not black-fog-of-war, just some nice grey-shading so I can see all the stuff but still know where I have and haven't been.

Personally using:

QuestHelper
Bayli's Extended Quest Log
AuctionLite
FishingBuddy
Mapster
GatherMate

Thinking about swapping GatherMate out for Gatherer. Mostly because I seem to remember Gatherer actually showing, for example, specific mining results (number of times you've mined there, what stuff you got from the vein).

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 15, 2008, 01:56:37 PM

Mapster has the option to tint your map instead of just reveal it.  Go to your interface, addons, mapster, and fogclear, and set a color for your Overlay Color.  It'll tint undiscovered areas whatever color you set.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #129 on: December 15, 2008, 02:44:03 PM

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks man. I'll have to jump in and do that once I get home. Guess I should have tried to check into it, I just would have expected it to be on by default. Maybe everyone else thinks the opposite.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: December 15, 2008, 05:18:53 PM

Pretty sure most map mods have this option.  All it really is doing is allowing you to change the colour / transparency values on the "fog of war" on the map.

I know cartographer does it.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #131 on: December 15, 2008, 06:58:20 PM

Yeah, I had used Cartographer before, and when I used it, it defaulted to have the unexplored areas translucent. So when Mapster didn't do that, I just thought it didn't have that option. That's what I get for just posting about it at work instead of checking.  Ohhhhh, I see.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #132 on: December 16, 2008, 01:20:44 AM

I need a mod that gives me map coordinates and NOTHING ELSE. I don't need some meandering shitpile that replaces my map with a 3d rotatable zooming clusterfuck while plotting out a giant "THIS IS WHAT A BOT WOULD DO" path for me to follow so I can level 12% faster without having to pay any attention to WTF I'm doing. I just. Need. Coordinates.

Fuck. I'm hating this whole mod scene already after one search.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 16, 2008, 02:26:04 AM

DMiniCoords might be what you want.  Personally I use "locationFu" plugin for FuBar which does similar (as well as show quest levels, level appropriate instances, other questable zones etc in a mouseover tooltip)

re: Gatherer.  Yes it does show history of successful gathers and stats for nodes.  It also has an optional db import from wowhead and an optional HUD display module for giving you a, well, HUD. I'm not that keen on the HUD personally - I don't mind flipping to the main map to see locations of all the nodes but an onscreen overlay just makes it feel cluttered. YMMV.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: December 16, 2008, 10:10:20 AM

I need a mod that gives me map coordinates and NOTHING ELSE. I don't need some meandering shitpile that replaces my map with a 3d rotatable zooming clusterfuck while plotting out a giant "THIS IS WHAT A BOT WOULD DO" path for me to follow so I can level 12% faster without having to pay any attention to WTF I'm doing. I just. Need. Coordinates.

Fuck. I'm hating this whole mod scene already after one search.

Mapster by itself will do that. As well as not making your map take up the whole screen when you open it. All the other things like gathering nodes etc are not part of it. You can even make the fog of war exactly like blizzard's default so you can't see places you have not explored.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #135 on: December 16, 2008, 11:02:43 AM

Tom tom does it as well, I believe.   I know it gives you a nice window on the main UI for coords so you're not always tabbing to the map and back.  Titanbar will show coords on one of the bars, but I don't know if it adds it to the map as well.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:24 AM

I use an ancient mod called idminimap that has the loc printed where the current clock is docked by blizzard. It also allows you to zoon in and out on the minimap with the mouse wheel while over it, something WoW should do by default, dammit.
This mod is dated 2006 but none of blizzard's changes since then have broken it, which is nice because it was abandoned about the time I got it. Because of the changes to the minimap frame it makes it seems to be immune to Blizzard's taste defying choices like the huge calendar icon, etc. A google can pick up a copy of idMinimap somewhere stuck away. I found it on an ace archive.

chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 16, 2008, 12:58:44 PM

Must have mods for me:

X-Perl
Quest Helper
Dominoes
Mapster
Fubar
Recount
Deadly Boss Mods
Quickmark
Squeenix
Minimap Button Mod
Omen
Feed it (for hunter)
Necro (for lock)
Healbot (for healer)
Elkbuffs

Speaking of mods... does anyone else have issues in Dalaran? Things seem to go haywire in there, graphics and mods. Perhaps some code tightening is needed?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #138 on: December 16, 2008, 03:02:11 PM

I don't have issues with Mods, just with Dalaaran loading slow.  There's too damn much in a really tight area, then you add-in the avatars and it all goes to shit. The whole city is smaller in plan than any of the previous cities, and there's more model detail going into that small area.  It takes me a good 2-3 mins to fully load in there while it takes maybe 20-30 seconds to load anywhere else.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 16, 2008, 03:53:00 PM

I think the persistent notion of having only a single tiny hub for all players is one of the grosser oversights of WoW design. Both Dalaran and Shatt lag me out something crazy, unlike IF which only lags when I fly in on a bird, ad even then only for a couple of seconds. Saturday afternoon in Dalaran is hell. Ideally when Ulduar comes, all the Silver Covenant and Hand of Vengeance people (vendors, cooking daily quest givers, portals, battlemasters and all) shift out to two new faction-specific camps.

I doubt it will happen though.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Suggested Addons  
Jump to: