Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Suggested Addons 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suggested Addons  (Read 57903 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: November 11, 2008, 01:39:53 PM

I've been away from WoW for a long time, so I'm looking for some suggested Add-ons. I have TomTom and Lightheaded, but I need a bar add-on and one that makes quest text go faster. Any other suggestions are welcome. I think I used to have an add-on for inventory, but I can't remember why.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:41:28 PM

You can get insta quest text from the options menu in game. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:43:08 PM

I've been away from WoW for a long time, so I'm looking for some suggested Add-ons. I have TomTom and Lightheaded, but I need a bar add-on and one that makes quest text go faster. Any other suggestions are welcome. I think I used to have an add-on for inventory, but I can't remember why.

I always liked Bongos for bar management.

-Rasix
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:01:37 PM

Bartender4. The new mouseover keybind functionality is amazing - you just click the 'Bind Keys' button in the config menu, then mouseover a hotkey on a bar, and press what you want the hotkey for that button to be, and you're done.

You can then even hide the bar if you want, if you want invisible hotkeys.

I enjoy Skinner, just because I've looked at the default WoW UI plenty - it just makes all of the wood-and-stone interface stuff into a plain black gradient (Sadly, I don't think it will skin Lightheaded)

I don't use any sort of inventory mod, outside of ItemRack for managing my different gear sets.

Pick up Bayi's Extended Questlog - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/bayis-extended-questlog.aspx - it gives you a double-pane quest log, and when you mouseover a mob or item needed for a quest, it will include it in the tooltip, including how many you need, etc. - I also enjoy the floating quest helper a good deal

Speaking of tooltips, pick up CowTip - I don't like all extra bullshit they put on the tooltip, but just uncheck the extended text function. I also like being able to move tooltips, having stuff anchored in the lower right corner pisses me off.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:02 PM

If you're a healing class who ever plans to step into any environment with more than 4 other players, get Grid.

In fact, everyone should get Grid because it is pretty much the best, most informative, cleanest and lightweight raid unit-frame available.

Bartender4 - They've made the menu's a lot better. Like all addons it takes a little learning, but allows massive customisation.
Squeenix - Nice mini-map mod
Elkanos BuffBars - Nice way to tidy up buff icons
Recount - The best damage meter available, period
Pitbull - Great, clean unit frames. Massive amounts of customisation (the options menu can be a bit baffling) but can simulate party and raid environments so you can get everything right while solo.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:26:26 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:38:07 PM

I can heal a 10 person raid just fine with the default raid ui and a little dragging of windows around. The one time I went to a 25 I was pretty lost though, I think I would need something with a little more functionality.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:56:20 PM

If you're a healing class who ever plans to step into any environment with more than 4 other players, get Grid.

In fact, everyone should get Grid because it is pretty much the best, most informative, cleanest and lightweight raid unit-frame available.

Bartender4 - They've made the menu's a lot better. Like all addons it takes a little learning, but allows massive customisation.
Squeenix - Nice mini-map mod
Elkanos BuffBars - Nice way to tidy up buff icons
Recount - The best damage meter available, period
Pitbull - Great, clean unit frames. Massive amounts of customisation (the options menu can be a bit baffling) but can simulate party and raid environments so you can get everything right while solo.

Good suggestions - I personally prefer ag_unitframes, but they're super similar anyways.

simpleMinimap is a nice minimap replacement as well.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:56:35 PM

Speaking as someone who hates to tinker with addons, I suggest Gatherer and Auctioneer.
Gatherer records resource nodes and displays them on your game map and mini-map radar.
Auctioneer helps manage auction house sales and tracks prices. Very handy if you have a bag of junk that you want to sell, but don't know what the going AH value is.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 03:05:53 PM

Ackis Recipe List off Curse

Tells you what recipes you're missing from your lists.  Pretty handy for the OCD. 

Also like DMiniCoords for showing where you're at. 
Ralence
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:33:46 PM

METAHuD is a godsend if they can get it working again, unbelievably useful for a rogue.  I also like ScrollingCombatText (The big flashing ENVENOM when you have a 5-stack is nice).  Omen threatmeter is a given for even 5-mans at this point, and I like Natur Enemycastbar for PVP, the cooldown timers are extremely handy for your enemies spells.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 04:00:48 PM

The only Mod I use that isn't a 'default' mod like Omen, is Totem Timers for my shaman. Damn shaman is just unmanageable without a totem mod.

Before the Mod, I could potentially have *every* quickbar slot taken up by a totem. With the mod I have room to spare on my visible bars, don't even use the secondaries.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:20:07 PM

and I like Natur Enemycastbar for PVP, the cooldown timers are extremely handy for your enemies spells.

Natur seems to be the most popular, personally I use Quartz (Casting Bar Addon) and Cooldown Count for cooldown alerts.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:20:45 PM

The only thing I have used in years of playing is Gatherer for herbs and mining nodes.  Not much else is absolutely necessary (even things like decursive, etc that people love).
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 04:40:29 PM

Can't Live Without:

Bartender 4 & quartz for improved casting bars, timers, etc.
Cartographer--removes fog, improved  maps, also includes a waypoint system.
Questhelper--quest waypoints, improved on screen quest display, and quest information added to MOB tooltips (ie, target something and it tells you if you need it or something it drops for a quest you have)
TotemTimers --  if you're a shaman a must, frees up dozens of casting slots and does shield management as well.
Grid--raid/group unit frames for healing. There's almost nothing you can't show cleanly and easily with this mod. Who has aggro. Who has incoming heals and how muc the heal will be for. And so small that you can still see the battle. There's almost nothing you can't customize with this mod. For example, curses. I have the ones I can cure show up as a big icon on top of the person and as a small dot if its one I can't. For some of these you will need different gird modules. 

I run a lot of other stuff as well.

FuBar -- top/bottom info/action bars. I run with a bunch of stuff. Performance, location, experience, Durability Fu to show current broken percent and autorepairs when you hit a repair vendor, GarbageFu to autosell greys at a vendor and gives you a list of cheapest items to click-drop when your inventory is full
Recount -- very nice damage/dps/etc meter (I still mourn the loss of EQ2s ACT though)
Omen -- threat indicator
Auctioneer -- makes AH stuff easier
MiniPet -- Icon for a random minipet and warning text when you need to resummon
XPerl Unit Frames -- lots of features that I don't use, I just like the look

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:12 PM

Numtini really hit a lot as did others, but i'll add some others that haven't been mentioned

Chinchilla - Minimap replacement along the lines of squeenix
DoTimer - Great little cooldowntimer
FishermansFriend - Autocast/better noise etc
EQCompare - Little tooltip of your currently equiped gear to compare
kgPanels - You can cleanup you ui and drop panels over the place
Prat - cleans up your chat logs nicely

One tip, watchout with Bartender4 as the new beta RC's will remove bars such as your xp and rep. 4.1.2 works fine.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:13:18 PM by fuser »
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 05:34:46 PM

The main addons I use have pretty much already been llsted, however for resource harvesting I also use the combination of the following:

Cartographer - As someone mentioned above, better maps, removal of fog and waypoint compatibility.

Gathermate - Similar to Gatherer, it stores all resource nodes you come across and can display them in cartographer

Gathermate Data - Import file/addon for gathermate.  This means that all known resource nodes will be visible as waypoints in cartographer (these can be toggled off, or just turned on depending on your professions etc, so they never get in the way)  Once the data has been imported in-game into gathermate this addon can be removed.

Routes - Takes waypoints created by gathermate in cartographer and has a pretty good go at the travelling salesman problem, i.e. draws a route for you that takes in all the nodes you specify using the shortest distance possible.

Using all these together you can end up with something like this http://mediabeta.curse.com/Curse.Projects.ProjectImages/14599/10781/pvw19594.jpg , with the route visable on both the main and minimaps
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 06:45:45 PM

One addon I found invaluable was Rating Buster, which was a "stat breakdown" mod that added stats info to item tooltips.  It could be configured to show any combination of info on any stat on a piece of gear or other item.   It would also compare stats on a piece of gear you moused over vs whatever you currently had equipped in that slot.
It also did a very good job of accounting for the effects of talents and whatnot on different stats, for example any talent that increased your intellect by an amount, or your base stats, or your +heals, etc.

So, for example, you could mouse over a trinket with +defense on it, and find out exactly how much +block / parry / dodge you were gaining, and how that compared to your currently equipped trinket.

It also did food, potions and most consumables, so i could mouse over +agility food, and find out how much Crit and AP it gave me in Cat form on my druid.

Unfortunately, i think it is currently a little broken for many classes with the new changes to Agility calculations for dodge and things like that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:00:18 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 07:45:47 PM

Best "low impact" mods (shit that doesn't require a lot of out-of-the-box configuring and needs its own minimap button):

RatingBuster: Fucking amazing, as mentioned converts ratings into raw percentages, and lets you very easily compare equipment.

Quartz: It changes your castbar but it's not too dramatic of a change. It looks nice, has a lot of options, and best of all has a lag timer and swing-timer so you can easily cast spells or abilities smoothly. It'll save your ass in those "If I could've just cast X one more time I would've lived!" situations.

Cartographer: being able to have your map open while moving is really really nice.

Prat: It has an insanely daunting amount of options but just the default set up makes your chat experience way better. Sticky channels, history, color coding for names so you can for example see whatever anyone mentions your name, etc etc.

DoubleWide: Makes your quest log two pages. Very nice.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 02:08:49 AM

Gatherer: if, like me, you're a lazy arsed bastard, you can get a db for this with data from WoWhead which shows all the nodes for you rather than populating the db yourself. Very useful for levelling up in a hurry as you can see where the nodes are.

Cartographer2 - I used to use this up until 3.0.2 becuase it was as good as people said. Also, you can get further plugins that show all the resource nodes a la Gatherer. But since 3.0.2 I've found it hasn't played well with the system and the guy is no longer supporting it because he's developing Cartographer3 which is an admittedly clever attempt to give Google Maps like functionality to the ingame map.  But fuck that shit, I don't want to know. I don't seem to be currently using a map addon but might go back to Atlas.

Fizzwidget's Levelator - shows levels on quests. Never needed more than that when it comes to questing so don't use any other quest addon. (Am willing to be convinced otherwise but there we go)

DOTimer - I'm a lock - can't live without this. Could learn to use it better though

Fubar - with money and location addons. Used to have the XP addon as well as the Clock addon before that became part of the UI.

Bankitems - very helpful if you have lots of alts as shows what every alt has in banks, mail, bags etc. Also adds info to tooltips so you can see how much Timbermaw rep items you're hording all over the place. :P

Auctioneer package (Including the enhanced tooltip addon) - obvious one.  Also use Enchantrix part of package for predicting sale value of enchant mats etc.

**Addons I have had previously but haven't been bothered to find since the 3.0.2 patch**

RecipeBook / ProfessionsBook - shows the recipes for each tradeskill that your alts have so if you find one, you know if you need to buy/sell it.
RecipeRadar - shows what recipes are available to be bought in the zone you're in.

Then there's another recipe mod which highlights which recipes are sold on vendors and how much for so that when you see them on the AH for 5 times the price, you know not to buy them unless you're super lazy and super loaded. (Or, as in my case, highlight recipes which some mug bought and then auctioned for less than the vendor price. Thanks pal!)

ExperienceFu - shows XP info about your character on Fubar.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 02:37:36 AM

RatingBuster: Fucking amazing, as mentioned converts ratings into raw percentages, and lets you very easily compare equipment.

Quartz: It changes your castbar but it's not too dramatic of a change. It looks nice, has a lot of options, and best of all has a lag timer and swing-timer so you can easily cast spells or abilities smoothly. It'll save your ass in those "If I could've just cast X one more time I would've lived!" situations.

Cartographer: being able to have your map open while moving is really really nice.

Prat: It has an insanely daunting amount of options but just the default set up makes your chat experience way better. Sticky channels, history, color coding for names so you can for example see whatever anyone mentions your name, etc etc.

DoubleWide: Makes your quest log two pages. Very nice.

Agree with most of these two.

On a related note, Atlasloot is the most annoying mod, bar none.

Dewdrop
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 07:39:47 AM

I was always a big Cartographer guy but the most recent version just killed me. It hogs alot of resources for something that i use to track herbs/mining nodes and to clear the fog. I switched to Mapster as a result. Its not as sexy, I guess, but its lightweight and does all the stuff the old Cart used to do.

Additionally: (most of these mentioned before)

Prat - Great chat mod
Bartender4 - Latest version is a god send.
Recount -
SimpleMiniMap - Ace2 Minimap mod - super light weight
Elk's Buff Bars - Much better than default buff/debuff icons
Omen - Took some effort to get the visuals on the new version where i wanted them, but its super accurate now.
Gather-Mate and Gather-Mate Data - works great with Mapster

Started using a new mod called Questhelper after getting rid of TomTom and Lightweight (or w/e its called) and love it. Its the first questing mod that has actually helped speed up the process. Its a total resource hog but its one that's worth it. Interfaces well with Mapster as far as directing you to quest objectives, etc.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 07:47:46 AM

Man, I <3 atlasloot.

I randomly pick between grid/clique and healbot depending on my mood this week (seriously, blizzard? ur raidframes suck)

Beyond that I'm using bartender at the moment for bars, I used to use xperl. And Omen and Bigwigs, just so Ingmar doesn't hit me.

I stopped running a damage meter, but I probably should again just for my own breakdown on what spells make up what percent of my healing.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:36 AM

As a healer I find Omen pretty useless tbh.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 07:52:38 AM

I liked the breakdowns of how much of each was overheal, how much time I spent casting what on each fight, and now seeing how well I'm leveraging Rapture.

As for ing's love of the base UI for raid healing: man, fuck that. Please to update more frequently, display range more accurately, and display debuffs with a color code for what type they are. I like to know if something's magic, poison, or disease so I know how to instantly react to it when they pick fucked up icons like rend's icon on a disease.

edit: whoops, mixed omen up

I run threat meters for the tank's mental health. I never actually have them displayed. It makes the tanks feel better to see everyone's threat status it seems.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 08:11:16 AM

I run threat meters for the tank's mental health. I never actually have them displayed. It makes the tanks feel better to see everyone's threat status it seems.
This is no longer necessary (at least with Omen) as it takes all data from the internal threat data sent by the servers.  Everyone who has threat will appear on the threat meters of those displaying them, whether they have a mod installed or not.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 08:35:47 AM

I use the Auctioneer package, Gatherer (which is a recent addition for me - it's usefulness is limited for me because I already know where most stuff spawns), Omen, Prat, Questhelper (extremely useful if you don't mind spoilers), Capping (for battlegrounds, gives timers on when things cap), FishingBuddy, Bejeweled.

I haven't found a bar mod that I like particularly more than the normal one.

I would love to have a farming mod that tells me how much of what I've gotten since I last reset it - cloth, gold, whatever I'm looking for.  I used to use FarmerFu but it's no longer being updated.

I'm somewhat unhappy with new Auctioneer.  I prefer the old one for buying/selling but it's no longer being supported.  It was a much cleaner easier interface - of course, it did a whole lot less, but some of us don't need to do a whole lot more.  Now it's bloatastically full of features.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 09:14:10 AM

I like Altaholic. It keeps track of all your characters skills, professions, equipment, bags, and bank, as well as the guild bank. Its especially nice if you have a bank alt. Another nice thing is that when you mouse over an item, it will put in the tooltip the quantities you have on that item on any character (and if its in the bags or bank) or in the guild vault.

I like the Mounted addon that will randomly pick a mount for you to use. It will pick flying mounts in Outland and ground mount in Azeroth. When my shaman goes into combat, it switches to trigger my ghost wolf ability.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 09:45:51 AM

I found a neat macro that picks a random pet out (companion pet, that is).

It goes like this:

/script CallCompanion("critter",random(1,GetNumCompanions("critter")))

(I just got Stinky, but still don't have all the pets - missing the expensive whelps.  Got them for my daughter when they were cheap but don't want to spend 1500g on them now).
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 04:53:42 PM

Mapster + Gather_Mate is like.....20x better than cartographer. Cartographer got super bloated, Mapster is nice and lightweight.

As far as bars go....Bartender4 is ok, but I am probably going to switch to Dominoes tonight (a bar only mod made by the guy who wrote Bongos).

I still like my Pitbull unit frames, but I will probably be rebuilding my UI based on OpenRDX once I get some time at 80.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 05:46:37 PM

The main addons I use have pretty much already been llsted, however for resource harvesting I also use the combination of the following:

Cartographer - As someone mentioned above, better maps, removal of fog and waypoint compatibility.

Gathermate - Similar to Gatherer, it stores all resource nodes you come across and can display them in cartographer

Gathermate Data - Import file/addon for gathermate.  This means that all known resource nodes will be visible as waypoints in cartographer (these can be toggled off, or just turned on depending on your professions etc, so they never get in the way)  Once the data has been imported in-game into gathermate this addon can be removed.

Routes - Takes waypoints created by gathermate in cartographer and has a pretty good go at the travelling salesman problem, i.e. draws a route for you that takes in all the nodes you specify using the shortest distance possible.

Using all these together you can end up with something like this http://mediabeta.curse.com/Curse.Projects.ProjectImages/14599/10781/pvw19594.jpg , with the route visable on both the main and minimaps

Bless your heart, these sound awesome.  Downloading now.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 02:50:35 AM

I like Altaholic. It keeps track of all your characters skills, professions, equipment, bags, and bank, as well as the guild bank. Its especially nice if you have a bank alt. Another nice thing is that when you mouse over an item, it will put in the tooltip the quantities you have on that item on any character (and if its in the bags or bank) or in the guild vault.

BankItems does this too - as well as show what's in the mail box of each alt.

Doess Altaholic show whether an alt knows a certain recipe or whether they can learn it if you look at the item tooltip?  If it does then it could be the package I'm looking for as most of my addons are to make my alt management easier.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 11:01:37 AM

BankItems does this too - as well as show what's in the mail box of each alt.

Doess Altaholic show whether an alt knows a certain recipe or whether they can learn it if you look at the item tooltip?  If it does then it could be the package I'm looking for as most of my addons are to make my alt management easier.
I think Altaholic also checks your mail, although don't quote me on that.

It does keep track of recipes as well. The other night someone asked if anyone had some spare bars of iron. I did a search for iron on all my characters and it came back with the all the items that had iron in the name as well as "Smell Dark Iron" and the various Dark Iron recipes on my miner/BS.

I'm pretty sure it does the tooltip thing where it says who knows the recipe or who could learn it.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 11:55:01 PM

It does monitor mail (even has a setting to warn you when mail gets to a certain threshold of expiry date), and it seems to keep track of tradeskills, though i am not sure how much deapth it does with that.

Only thing irritating me so far, is i can not find an easy way to remove a character from its database, as i deleted one of my bank alts to make way for a new DK and it still lists him there.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 02:23:39 PM

Wow, it looks like Bongos was abandoned like 5 months ago.  Time to try bartender I guess.

-Rasix
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Suggested Addons  
Jump to: