Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:54:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Uninstalling EQ2 beta and have a question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uninstalling EQ2 beta and have a question  (Read 3972 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

on: November 14, 2004, 05:14:04 PM

Did anyone else who didn't go retail have a problem with this? I go to add/remove programs, click on remove. Nothing. It just sits there. Tried it twice. Once it locked my computer up, the second time it did absolutely nothing except gray out the remove button.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 07:26:22 PM

Didn't play EQ2 beta, but when I tried to uninstall Myst3 (dvd, 2GB on HD), it seemed like it just sat there doing nothing, but the files disappeared, like, instantly.  My guess is they just rewrote the NTFS header info instead of physically deleting files one by one.  

Did you check the EQ2 directory to see if the files are still there?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:31:32 PM

I did and they are. The official forums said to run the remove programs then physically delete the directory. However, remove programs just sorta froze and seemed to do nothing. If it only cleared registry keys I'd be more or less happy with that.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 07:56:31 AM

Worked for me. Yeah, I know that helps.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 09:27:33 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why it uninstalled, but left the 2-3 GB directory just sitting there. When I say uninstall, I want you to hose that motherfucker.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 09:36:28 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
I'm still trying to figure out why it uninstalled, but left the 2-3 GB directory just sitting there. When I say uninstall, I want you to hose that motherfucker.

The devs at my company (who use Install Shield) have always said that they don't remove anything that wasn't installed by the installation program -- main reason in our case is that customers may want to save data files they created. I am guessing that so many of the files are changed/updated by downloads and patches that by the time you want to uninstall the installer no longer recognizes the files as its installation files?

What would work for me is if an uninstaller presented you with choices:

X uninstall/delete everything at this location
X uninstall/delete only these components

etc.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 09:41:49 AM

The EQ2 beta installer only installed a very small patch program. The patcher actually downloaded the vast amounts of shit. I suppose that would be the reason the uninstall routine NOT deleting vast amounts of shit.

Still sucks though.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 07:02:15 PM

so you guys think I should just delete the folder and take my chances on it leaving files/registry keys floating around somewhere?

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 08:21:27 PM

Maybe uh delete to the recycle bin but don't empty it, see if any pop up, and remove them manually (once they do, you know what keywords to search the registry for).
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 05:37:14 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
so you guys think I should just delete the folder and take my chances on it leaving files/registry keys floating around somewhere?

Just search the registry for keywords. Or the quick and dirty method would be to go into Regedit and check for keys under HKLM\Software\Sony (or EverQuest 2) and HKCU\Software\Sony (or EverQuest 2). Just be careful if you play other SOE games that use their launcher program (Planetside, SWG, etc.). I doubt that there'll be much more detritus scattered elsewhere.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 02:48:29 PM

Ok, guess I'll do that. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Uninstalling EQ2 beta and have a question  
Jump to: