Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Patch 1.0.4 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch 1.0.4  (Read 9718 times)
Pringles
Terracotta Army

on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:11 PM

Here

Victory points towards zone control will be granted if a realm has enough players in the queue to launch the scenario and the other realm doesn’t.

swamp poop
Gurney
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:17 PM

Ah didn't catch that one.  Egad.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:37:27 PM

That's just, um, weird.  So scenario queues and scenarios count for something.  I guess I should have known this?

Anyway, I like the patch, especially the part about earning XP for objective captures.  Of course it will probably be something like 300XP and I'll die laughing, but we'll see.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:50:28 PM

That's right, punish that underpopulated realm. Git 'em!

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:21 PM

What the fuck? Clownshoes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:57:35 PM

It's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb.   awesome, for real

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:59:31 PM

Funny because that scenario bit makes it seem more like stabbing you in the leg so you forget about the severed limb for a minute.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:05:37 PM

Maybe Mythic would have better luck with these patches if they just stopped and asked themselves:  "What Would Robot Jesus Do?"

WWRJD

most often known as Drevik
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:23:36 PM

Disappointing patch.  Those sparse notes don't give me the feeling they're scrambling to fix their game at all.  Or even that they acknowledge the problems.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:42 PM

Oh dear. Read the whole thing.

Tier 4 zones now require fewer scenario victory points to be captured.  The mechanics of capturing a zone have not changed however.  Zones which have no scenario opposition can still be captured if players join the queue for scenarios based on that Zone.  Victory points towards zone control will be granted if a realm has enough players in the queue to launch the scenario and the other realm doesn’t.  If players in those queues join a launched scenario or leave the queue, the victory points towards zone control will be forfeit.

IT HASN'T CHANGED. All they have done is reduce the number of victory points required to control a T4 zone. So essentially, they just gave away why Destruction has been able to gain control of zones almost instantly while Order is unable to gain control of a zone even after hours of holding all the BOs and keeps. And the "join all scenarios" thing that they added while back will have compounded this.

Brain dead. Just completely incapable of understanding simple game mechanics. Get new jobs, Mythic developers.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:46 PM

What. the. fuck?
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:51:24 PM

Was this done to adress the issue in the other post on this board where opposition could deny zone control by simply refusing to queue for scenarios?

Even if it is, they need to weight the "opposition didn't queue" bonus to take into account population imbalance.

Of course this type of "a ten year old could think of it" solution seems to be something Mythic is completely unable to do of late.
Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 07:53:37 PM

What. the. fuck?

Heh, that's about what I said!

It's awful, I haven't seen them address a single issue the 'right', or even in anything but a completely fucking retarded way.  We're starting to get a long list of fixes that they have implemented that have been worse than the problems they intended to solve.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 09:18:14 PM

I scrolled down my mousewheel about 5 times in hopes that I somehow didn't miss the patch notes that actually matter.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:46 PM

Tier 4 zones now require fewer scenario victory points to be captured.  The mechanics of capturing a zone have not changed however.
Isn't the bolded part the only actual change?
Pringles
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 12:27:46 AM

Tier 4 zones now require fewer scenario victory points to be captured.  The mechanics of capturing a zone have not changed however.
Yes, but now you see how fucked up the VP system is, since they've let some of the mechanic out of the bag.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 01:33:50 AM

Yes, but now you see how fucked up the VP system is, since they've let some of the mechanic out of the bag.

This is the important bit, imo:

Victory points towards zone control will be granted if a realm has enough players in the queue to launch the scenario and the other realm doesn’t.

Basically, the more populated side wins by default.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 01:40:27 AM

Maybe I just missed this before as I haven't been reading much about the mechanics involved at max level, but.  

ORVR is lacking in players because everyone is doing scenarios for the greater rewards.  Mythic wants to encourage ORVR as it leads to the holy grail of ORVR, city capture, city capture requires players to play scenarios?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 01:54:39 AM

Yes  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 03:08:18 AM

Basically, the more populated side wins by default.
It's really not that messed up. What's more messed up, IMO, is that simply not fighting in contested zones is such a strong defense against being taken over.

I don't even think we have an Destruction: High, Order: Low servers anymore- and not just because the population has thinned out.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 06:33:50 AM

This makes my head hurt. Would it mean then that if one side decided to queue up for the less popular scenarios that never pop, would points be awarded? (Khaine's Embrace, Gates of Ecklund - I've only seen Gates pop once). Would queuing up for all available scenarios award points to some extent? I don't understand this at all.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 08:31:38 AM

The zone control system being based strictly on population numbers and not on some sliding scale that evens out population imbalances is absolutely, without question the dumbest fucking design choice in the game. Making scenario queues count towards zone control just compounds the stupid. How are you supposed to be addressing the population imbalances that you supposedly learned so much about from DAoC if you reward the side that has more players with easier zone control?

FUCK. IT ISN'T THAT HARD A CONCEPT TO UNDERSTAND.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 09:57:21 AM

Funny because that scenario bit makes it seem more like stabbing you in the leg so you forget about the severed limb for a minute.

That is the "gate control" theory of pain.  It is a well known method of pain control.
Zupa
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 06:57:09 PM

That's right, punish that underpopulated realm. Git 'em!

damn it how are we ever going to convince people to play order now? 

They give them bonus renown and xp, then rape them with this zone control mechanic?

I hope this is an example of someone failing to explain the changes clearly in the patch notes, but I think it's just more clownshoes as already stated.

It's meant to be "War is Everywhere!", not "Grind, Bitches!".
        - UnSub 25/10/2008
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 07:35:47 PM

The zone control system being based strictly on population numbers and not on some sliding scale that evens out population imbalances is absolutely, without question the dumbest fucking design choice since the dawn of mankind.

FIFY.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Patch 1.0.4  
Jump to: