Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Well. I fixed this problem. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well. I fixed this problem.  (Read 126701 times)
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: November 10, 2008, 04:33:56 AM

I'd read my tome too if it wasnt constantly screwed up. Most times the War Story page is completely blank. I cant even look through the other quest lines except the one I am on because I cannot click it. I cant see how many of each mob I have killed either, just gives me a blanket total, say 1500 Elves... awesome. I know I have killed 1k DE but thats only because of the tome unlock that told me so.

I'll make another post about trying to claim a T4 zone this weekend and the buffoonery that followed.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:14 AM

Is there a single example of a game able to manage 200+ players in a small area without crashing or absurd lag?  If there is I haven't seen it. 

Planetside. With a "standard" or better machine.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: November 10, 2008, 08:25:02 AM

Heh. Maybe it might be kinda cool if the story was interwoven into the game, while you actually played the game. Has anybody thought of that yet? Cuz I think that might be kewl zomgz.

"Stay awhile and listen...."

Actually Diablo made you click an NPC, read/listen to their stuff, then go back to the dungeon and get back to playing. Same as the rest. (But at least there wasn't so much of it.)

I hereby claim this idea for myself! Anyone who wants to use it must give me a quarter! And I shall call it... "E-mergent Content!" See that? The "E" makes it technological!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: November 10, 2008, 12:12:50 PM

I think the argument that technology needs to progress for decent PvP is actually accurate.  The barrier that needs to be overcome is enabling several hundred to several thousand concurrent users play in the same area simultaneously.  That really is the elephant in the room with WAR, they cannot enable enough folks to be on a server to ensure a large enough population to create a viable PvP environment.  If they did the game would be a slideshow (I remember a few battles against Six Mouths being an excellent example. 

The state of technology now simply does not allow enough concurrent users for a large scale RvR/PvP game to be viable.  Developers are forced to heard players into scenarios/BGs because that is the only way to ensure that players will have a stable game experience.

Of course companies will never admit that... Why, I have no idea.

There is plenty of good PvP out there.  The problem is the old MMO companies are too busy clutching their old models, which seem to hurt PvP more than they help it.

Guild Wars had excellent PvP, Planet Side was PvP oriented, Subspace/Infantry/Cosmic rift has massive PvP (100 people in a zone) in 1996.  Heck, sub-space may have very well been the first MMOG (barring MUDs.)

The server model doesn't work so great with PvP.  In PvE MMOs you can always go do some PvE alone.  You absolutely need people together to PvP, so you need a more flexible server model.  It doesn't matter how good your PvP oriented game is, if someone cannot find people to play with or against your game is going to suck for them.  Subspace/Infantry handled this by each major map being broken down into multiple dynamic servers.  You character transfered between them seamlessly.  It was like picking a server in an FPS.

Instanced PvP thrives as it is available and interesting.  There is nothing wrong with your main PvP type being 6v6, 8v8, or 12v12.  You just have to put the work in to ensure you instanced/session based PvP is solid (which Mythic clearly didn't do.)

MMORPGs are failing as PvP games because they aren't being designed as PvP games.  They are being build off a PvE infrastructure and PvE concepts.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: November 10, 2008, 01:50:02 PM

I think we've found one of the few gamers left in the world who has not played Half Life.

I played like, the tutorial missions and then dropped it. Just didn't grab me. Then again, I got HL just because I was interested in playing the Evolution mod thing with the aliens and marines.

Portal was kinda cool in that you never stop playing, but there's some story in there. Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past have minimal text and no voiceovers (I don't count "Tee Hee or Hey!", but still tell a story.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 10, 2008, 02:07:09 PM

I think we've found one of the few gamers left in the world who has not played Half Life.

I played like, the tutorial missions and then dropped it. Just didn't grab me. Then again, I got HL just because I was interested in playing the Evolution mod thing with the aliens and marines.

Portal was kinda cool in that you never stop playing, but there's some story in there. Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past have minimal text and no voiceovers (I don't count "Tee Hee or Hey!", but still tell a story.

You should honestly pick it up again. My wife is a big Zelda fan (She has a Zelda jacket. Yes i have a wife that is exceptionally geeky, I love it), and she was entirely compelled by the story that was Half Life 2. The game itself presents a world where introduction of story is about as natural as it could possibly become - you never leave your character, people are literally talking *to* you (making eye contact, a big part of the design which Valve really wanted to get right), and the story is moved forward through natural means, and the closest thing to legitimate "acting" i have yet seen in a video game. After all, Half Life was the defining FPS shooter that said "You can have a story in a FPS, too" as opposed to the Doom and Quake games out there which basically plopped you down in a world with a gun and said "Go".

Nebu: We're talking about the single player communicating story sans cutscenes and walls of text...not multiplayer

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 10, 2008, 02:10:03 PM

Nebu: We're talking about the single player communicating story sans cutscenes and walls of text...not multiplayer

My error. Deleted.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Gurney
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 10, 2008, 02:12:09 PM

You should honestly pick it up again. My wife is a big Zelda fan (She has a Zelda jacket. Yes i have a wife that is exceptionally geeky, I love it), and she was entirely compelled by the story that was Half Life 2. The game itself presents a world where introduction of story is about as natural as it could possibly become - you never leave your character, people are literally talking *to* you (making eye contact, a big part of the design which Valve really wanted to get right), and the story is moved forward through natural means, and the closest thing to legitimate "acting" i have yet seen in a video game. After all, Half Life was the defining FPS shooter that said "You can have a story in a FPS, too" as opposed to the Doom and Quake games out there which basically plopped you down in a world with a gun and said "Go".

But but HL2 is so cool you are running around then the G-man pops up in the corner of your eye and then you turn to look and he is gone.

The story is so subtle but there is so much if you take some time to look.

Its such an elegant presentation.  Its awesome.
Feaniad
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 10, 2008, 04:11:59 PM

That said, I think that relegating the game to the likes of AoC is a bit premature. 

Just wanted to circle back on this...  In retrospect, the timing of the move to the Graveyard was pretty dead on.

Back to LOTRO go I.

Brandywine - Feaniad (Captain)
schild
Administrator

Reply #219 on: November 10, 2008, 04:17:38 PM

Don't feel bad, that happens a lot.
xorx
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: November 11, 2008, 01:25:00 AM

Just wanted to circle back on this...  In retrospect, the timing of the move to the Graveyard was pretty dead on.

This whole thing has made me desperately sad - I was hoping this would be the MMO that I could finally not hate - I've been involved with TT and the various 40K books and games over the years, and the fluff's interesting, and all mythic had to do was make the game like Tier1 & 2 all the way through.

Tier 1 - awesome
Tier 2 - good
Tier 3 - yawnsome
Tier 4 - we stopped playing.

Heartbreak

schild
Administrator

Reply #221 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:57 AM

Me thinks someone should be having some words with the curse.com ad network guy.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 12, 2008, 04:38:27 AM

Heh, also on the VN boards the WoW banners are all over the top and side. They have the Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead and the occasional WoW add even on the Warhammer Vault ;)
schild
Administrator

Reply #223 on: November 13, 2008, 10:13:37 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Sup guys.

Edit: Ok, that was unfair. Nonetheless. Just sayin.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #224 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:59 PM

Gotta boost those box sales for the Holiday season. Makes it looks good on the quarterly report.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: November 13, 2008, 11:59:25 PM

I very quickly glanced at that ad for WAR that Schild posted and had to read it again as I thought the top line said 'Dead of the Day". I guess that's pretty much what my subconscious thinks of the game. I'm still going to stick with it for a bit longer, but I see it headed down the same path that AC, FFXI, and AoC took in my gaming library. It's about to become a new beer coaster.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: November 14, 2008, 04:45:24 AM

At our local Gamestop Wrath boxes are flying like mad, you cannot find a Wrath collectors box yet you know what sits behind the counter still? 5 Collector's Editions for WAR, right next to that shit-tastic Tabula Rasa box thingie they tried to push out to people. I wouldnt doubt those CE boxes for WAR go on sale soon, like Trippy said to boost holiday sales numbers.

Feaniad
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: November 14, 2008, 03:46:48 PM

Heh, also on the VN boards the WoW banners are all over the top and side. They have the Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead and the occasional WoW add even on the Warhammer Vault ;)

Man, the stuff I miss with AdBlock Plus.  Dang.

Back to LOTRO go I.

Brandywine - Feaniad (Captain)
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: November 14, 2008, 11:08:57 PM

My thoughts on warhammer?

ribuld
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: November 15, 2008, 12:01:42 AM

Damn, you're pretty serious about this shit. Hopefully your family/friends are still alive.  ACK!
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: November 15, 2008, 01:29:08 AM

<pic>
That seems like a balanced and rational way of dealing with your feelings towards a computer game.

Should I have greened that?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:08 AM

The best hope I have for this game is that someone sometime soon figures out how to make a private server. Then it will be worth playing. Problem is, I doubt anyone would waste the time and energy to come up with the code.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:38 AM

<pic>

Uhm, don't step on any slivers of DVD and/or dreams.   ACK!

Over and out.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #233 on: November 17, 2008, 10:46:29 AM

Waffel wins.  None of you can approach that h8.  Congrats.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: November 17, 2008, 10:47:58 AM

As a collector of MMO's, that was stupid.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Well. I fixed this problem.  
Jump to: