Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: High Level Armor Sets 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Level Armor Sets  (Read 143861 times)
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

on: October 24, 2008, 10:12:15 AM

http://www.warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=397

If you scroll down in the Grab Bag article there's a section on high level armor sets.  It appears to be Mythic's way of gating the high level content.  In order to take on the end game King encounter I need a set of Excelsior armor.  To get the Excelsior armor I need to repeatedly farm the sub-boss PQs in a contested city.  In order to farm the sub-boss PQs I need the Darkpromise or Invader armor from repeatedly farming the Lost Vale dungeon or Invasion PQs.  In order to farm Lost Vale or the Invasion PQs I need the Sentinel or Conqueror armor set from farming high level city dungeons or from capturing a Fortress.  In order to farm the high level city dungeons or capture a Fortress I need the Bloodlord or Annihilator armor set from farming Bastion Stair or from random drops in T4 RvR.   swamp poop

Now how much each armor set really helps for each encounter remains to be seen, but I can just see the messages now:

"Forming Warband for King encounter, looking for more peeps, must have Excelsior armor, pst!"

ACK!

most often known as Drevik
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:15:40 AM

FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Making PvP success about gear quality is the most stupid fucking idea ever!  Damnit, I hate WoW for some of the shit they introduced.

Gear should be easily accessed and should have little (less than 10%) influence on pvp outcomes.  Damnit, the hardcore keep ruining these games (and their development) for the 90% of us that like to come home from work and have a distraction. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:18:49 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:24:08 AM

Yeah I just got done reading that. Good lord, that's a ton of grinding and I suspect once the tweaks are made you're going to need that highest set to have a chance at sacking the capital city.

But hey remember "Warhammer is a PVP game first, PVE game second!". Yeah right, once the masses figure this out even more people are going to say the hell with it and play something else.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:24:40 AM

There's a reason they crammed a horrible fuck-off level grind into their game right before release.  They didn't want WAR to be out for only a week before someone pantsed their endgame and everyone saw its tiny dick.

Haha, some of you didn't unsub before the first month was up.  I guess the timing on that bit of news was pretty good, then.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:26:58 AM

hahahahahah

i guess that's that

I personally invite whoever thought this was a good idea to eat a dick.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:27:12 AM

There's a reason they crammed a horrible fuck-off level grind into their game right before release.  They didn't want WAR to be out for only a week before someone pantsed their endgame and everyone saw its tiny dick.

More like ripping the pants off your date to discover that she is really a he.  

I really thought WAR was going to be the game that you could log on and level seamlessly and enjoyably from 1-the end.  While you certainly can do this, you are treated as a second class citizen for doing so.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 10:33:10 AM

What audience was Mythic hoping to grab?

DAoC, they would have known better than to put, um, master levels in the game.   If you ran the company, though, would you be happy with the same audience that DAoC got?  If you wanted a bigger slice of the pie you might be looking at that big gorilla and raiding.

*sigh*

There is a group of people who are convinced that a PvP oriented game will always be niche, so this decision should not be a huge surprise *, but if you are going to compete with the gorilla you better have awesome bananas.

* I would understand the calls of bait and switch, should they arise.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:38:34 AM

I can say, having done a fortress fight and locked zones, that ward gear is essential to surviving the massive nukes you get there. But having to get several more levels of ward gear as the encounters scale to the assault on the king is mind boggling.

What happened to PVP gear was "good enough"?

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:38:46 AM

Nice, thanks for posting this. You saved me some CASH!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:24 AM

Wow... If this is true:

1.  I am done defending this game.
2.  I owe Cevik an apology.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 10:44:40 AM

Stick a fork in it, I'm done.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:05 AM

If this gear is used for just PVE encounters, and if this gear is simply in the game to give PVE people something to do, some goals to get good looking armor, and if this gear does not effect RvR ...

Then I'm ok with it.

Would anyone know if this is true?
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:47:10 AM

What is this cock block nonsense?  They keep zigzagging all over the map as to what they want the game to be.  If it's supposed to be a casual fast-paced PVP game, then why  put in the level grind right before launch and then further exacerbate the problem by putting in a fucking gear-up requirement.  

God damn it, I had hoped we were moving past the mandatory farm gear to eventually have fun school of game design.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 10:47:49 AM

It doesn't matter. The idea that you need a set or even part of a set or any items at all that have random chances of dropping to access content is so beyond stupid, that there's just no words in the english language to describe it. Actually, there is. T-Minus 1 Month Until this Forum Hits the Graveyard.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 10:48:03 AM

If this gear is used for just PVE encounters, and if this gear is simply in the game to give PVE people something to do, some goals to get good looking armor, and if this gear does not effect RvR ...

Then I'm ok with it.

The end game for RVR is to fight the capital leader. Which you can't do with out the many sets of PVE gear.

/Boggle @ Mythic
insouciant
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 10:48:11 AM

My heartfelt condolences to all who are still playing after this.
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 10:49:50 AM

Maybe they really did drink the kool-aid that they were competing with WoW on WoW's release, and not WoW currently.

Man, having to gather a fire resist set to get through the Molten Core cockblock was SO MUCH FUN I WANTED TO DIE.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 10:51:06 AM

Lesser Ward
Bloodlord Armor Set
Found in: Bastion Stair
Requirements: Ranks: Ranks 37-39

Annihilator Armor Set
Found in: Tier 4 RvR
Requirements: Ranks: Ranks 35-39 and Renown Ranks 31-35

Both sets can be used in any combination to offer the Lesser Ward, which is required for City High Level Dungeons and Fortress encounters. There are five pieces of armor in each set.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH

They start the cockblock the moment you hit 40. What a bunch of gibbering assholes.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 10:51:48 AM

It doesn't matter. The idea that you need a set or even part of a set or any items at all that have random chances of dropping to access content is so beyond stupid, that there's just no words in the english language to describe it. Actually, there is. T-Minus 1 Month Until this Forum Hits the Graveyard.

It seems you do need this for endgame, so it fails, but to suggest a point...

If you wanted to attract both PvP and PvE users I've always thought you could put in ways to farm for PvE gear with snazzy looks that really thrill the mor... people who like PVE, and at the same time not require this stuff for the PvP end of it.   A game with two endings, both done well, would gain more targ... people, and that's a good thing.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 10:53:22 AM

Then I'm ok with it.

Yes, this affects RvR.  All that nonsense in the original post leads up to the King encounter.  The rewards for the King encounter are pieces of the Sovereign armor set.  This set is supposed to be the end all be all of RvR armor and requires RR73-80 just to equip it.

most often known as Drevik
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 10:53:48 AM

It seems you do need this for endgame, so it fails, but to suggest a point...

If you wanted to attract both PvP and PvE users I've always thought you could put in ways to farm for PvE gear with snazzy looks that really thrill the mor... people who like PVE, and at the same time not require this stuff for the PvP end of it.   A game with two endings, both done well, would gain more targ... people, and that's a good thing.

What's that saying about two birds or some shit?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:29 AM

T-Minus 1 Month Until this Forum Hits the Graveyard.

After that happens I guess we can keep a thread like "Warhammer 2008 (insert new years as needed) to keep all the discussions in one spot on the main board?

As far as an impact to me, this isn't going to drive my guild out of the game but it will pour cold water on our willingness to roll ALT's. We don't like Wotlk one iota, so we'll either play WAR or nothing until SWG:TOR or GW2 releases.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:38 AM

Game over man, game over!
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:41 AM

Fuck. I just bought this game last week. If I wanted poopsock PvE, I'd play WoW. Christ, that's fifty bucks wasted. So much for getting back into MMOs. I could have bought Dead Space instead.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 10:55:18 AM

Yes, this affects RvR.  All that nonsense in the original post leads up to the King encounter.  The rewards for the King encounter are pieces of the Sovereign armor set.  This set is supposed to be the end all be all of RvR armor and requires RR73-80 just to equip it.

I guess the reality is so idiotic, so wrong, so 'didn't we learn this lesson last time', so so ... I'm in denial.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 10:55:22 AM

They should've just gated it with RR levels. I can understand not being able to do things because I'm not high enough. I could've COPED with that. Would've forced people into RvR situations. But grinding for armor. HAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA. NO.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 10:56:19 AM

Adding grind to a game where people have already been complaining about the grind seems like a good idea to me.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 10:57:48 AM

Wow Phildo you basically posted exactly what I was typing.

Dick.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:59 AM

The black orc armor is pretty bitchin' though. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 10:59:21 AM

Too bad everyone in the endgame will look exactly the same. How awesome.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:14 AM

Too bad everyone in the endgame will look exactly the same. How awesome.

Everyone looks the same now.  So by then we should be used to it.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:45 AM

Even before this game came out of beta I was questioning some peoples logic about the end game "it's all about pvp" they said but wait, once you take a city and run the people out the ENDgame is all warbands and PVE king smashing and pq's. How could people not have seen this coming?

I guess people wanted desperately to believe WAR was a pvp game and not just a diku clone, you should have known better.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 11:02:16 AM

Man, Wrath is going to eat their fucking lunch now and I won't shed a single tear.

This is absolutely fucking boneheaded. There's just no way of spinning this.

Fuck you, Mythic. Fuck you.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:55 AM

Everybody get your vent mic ready, cause we're gonna be grinding some high level PQs.  No more welfare epics for me. 

When do they introduce resilience?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 11:05:29 AM

SO MJ or gaute? who wins the "most clueless dev" award?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: High Level Armor Sets  
Jump to: